Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kemper Boyd posted:

I got mad at OSR again so I started writing a reverse retroclone a while back.

The basic idea is to put all that stuff that was actually pretty cool in OD&D into a modern rules framework and to slap on a setting that's a bit different than the regular pseudo-medieval thing. So far, I've discovered a way to write monsters in a way that mostly allow them to be described and run in two sentences, I made a typing error which created the Jortsword, I went on a post-Tolkien trip (there's something like the whole War of the Ring/War of Wrath somewhere in the setting background but the world has moved towards modernity since then) and I'm nicking rules from someone else than Gygax. I hope to finish the thing in about two weeks or so.

The Jortsword has to be the worst weapon ever. It just has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The cigarette is what got me laughing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And don't forget the basics like: Attack one target, Attack more than one target, Make yourself harder to hit, Do nothing but move, Negotiate with opponent, Perform healing. That kind of stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Error 404 posted:

Paper notes own, gently caress haters. I still have stacks of notepads, notebooks, and post it notes from before I had an Android phone and Drive. I still keep a moleskine and pen on me out of habit.

I do all my prep work on yellow legal pads with a mechanical pencil. I've been working like that for over thirty years of gaming.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DigitalRaven posted:

This is truth, and is based on the psychology of "free" vs. value.

BLACK SEVEN is my top-selling game by a long chalk — this month, it hit Electrum on DTRPG. It's also Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. People can share it as much as they like, remix the gently caress out of it, but they can't make money off doing so unless they talk to me. Know someone who has got the game? They can give it to you. It's fine. But if you go to DriveThru, you pay for it.

I tried putting other games up PWYW. It had a brief rush when PWYW was new and exciting. This month? I've "sold" twice as many PWYW books as I have BLACK SEVEN. I made 0.9% of what I did on BLACK SEVEN from PWYW.

And just bought a copy! Never heard of this project and the genre is right up my alley.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I use InDesign for my regular job and it is really good and ludicrously expensive.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Data encoding with playing cards...
http://www.timwarriner.com/carddata/index.html

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm not making a card game; I'm about 7/8 of the way through making an inspiration deck "Deal-A-Fantasy-Setting" deck.

Basically, there will be 80 cards all told: 20 "Major Locations", 20 "Minor Locations", 20 "Organizations", and 20 "Personages".

The basic use of the cards will be to split the four decks apart and shuffle them each. Then you draw five Major Locations and play them apart from each other on the table. Those are the main points of the campaign map. Major city cards can be played on existing major location cards.

Then you deal out four Minor Locations, either separate from the played cards (meaning the location stands on its own), or on an existing major location (representing a connection or that the minor location is part of the major one).

Next you deal out four Organization cards the same way. Finally, you deal out four Personage cards the same way to represent the major NPCs in the setting.

The only real rule for stacking cards is that you can't have more than three cards in one "stack", otherwise things get a little too muddled.

Once the cards are dealt, it's up to the group to interpret what the cards and their relationships mean. It's a Dungeon World-style "ask questions, build on the answers" thing; why does the Great Gathering Of Clans meet at the Bottomless Chasm? Why is the Obelisk located in The Holy City? Why does the Fanatic stand alone from everything in the world? Things like that. Each card also has bolded phrases to help spark ideas or inspire the group.

I've got a lot of the cards printed and sleeved so I've been playing with them a little bit to see the combos I can make.

Got a pdf?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Libertad! posted:

TL;DR I'm not fond of the latest crop of comics like Garth Ennis' The Boys, Ultimate Avengers, and other stuff where superheroes are little more than masked thugs brutalizing the weak and I don't want to encourage that mechanically.

Stay far far away from Mark Millar. The man despises the concept of heroes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Another useful set of templates available are the Lulu pdf templates. They'll flatten things and subset fonts appropriately for good quality ebooks and print masters. (My day job causes me to live in InDesign. potatocubed is not lying about the learning curve, but once you 'get it', you can do amazing things.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

potatocubed posted:

Not RPGs, but Fluxx has a similar rule-bending approach, and the granddaddy of rule-making games is Nomic.

The card game Mao is pretty good at it too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Welp, I did it. The Thin Blue Line (which I mentioned earlier in the thread) is wrapped. Primary writing started April 1 and ended August 25. The kickstarter was good (enough) and the book PDF is now on sale at DriveThruRPG. Hard copy print proofs are on the way, and once they're approved that'll be it and we're on to the next project. A surprising goon project success story!

I had to cancel my pledge so I'm now waiting for the print ready version!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Woodsman?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Just bought a copy on the strength of those two supplement titles. Now you have to write them!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

I haven't really played much shadowrun so I can't really comment on its goodness, but to my understanding if you have multiple actions in shadowrun you only get to use one of them per initiative pass, and you keep doing intitiative passes until you run out. There's a decent explanation here. I've heard the main problem with it is the usual problem with multiple actions (in that they're nearly impossible to balance and usually result in the best builds being the ones with the most actions)

Also I know I've heard of a game that where if you have 3 actions and initiative Y you get an action at (Y), (2Y/3), and (Y/3) which sounds similar to what you're talking about, but for the life of me I can't think of what it was.

I'm helping!

e: General AP-based-game thing: Have something that unspent AP automatically goes into. Not enough for someone to consider deliberately not spending AP, but enough such that if someone has 1 or 2AP left and spending it is impractical it's not entirely wasted. Fallout 1&2 for example dump unused AP into your AC. AC is a d100 so realistically that extra 1-2% isn't going to do anything but it's got feelgood factor.

Unisystem handles multiple actions by giving increasing penalties to every action after the first

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Shadowrun 3e
X/X-10/X-20/X-30

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

JackMann posted:

I want you to know that I've read this and I appreciate the feedback and have some responses. However, I just had a bicycle accident and typing is difficult right now. I'll reply fully as able.

Stupid question time. Why are the arrows indicating movement toward the monster pointing down? When you hold a card in your hand or place it on a table, that would aim those arrows at the player making it less intuitive what they mean.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LeSquide posted:

This is tangential, but I'm not sure where else to ask: Has anyone ever had experience with the costs and process of getting miniatures suitable for 3d printing designed?

Easy but expensive is Hero Forge

That's for humanoid character miniatures and you can just get the .stl files.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Earthdawn has everybody use magic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Pvt.Scott posted:

I own a lot of Kevin Crawford’s stuff, but this doesn’t ring a bell. His work is almost all tables, in a very good way. Like, is there a system that uses d66 for resolving tasks or combat?

Cyborg Commando.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

shades of eternity posted:

Hodgepocalypse - regional sourcebook poll

https://www.drevrpg.com

edit: here's a couple of alternatives until I can figure out why it's glitching.
https://www.drevrpg.net

https://www.drevrpg.ca

The main book is ready to go and should be out in December.

However, thinking ahead for regional sourcebook and seeing if the following poll grabs you for future material.

https://twitter.com/drevrpg/status/1194034837432107009

Not available offline is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

shades of eternity posted:

I'm on another creative tear

don't know where it's heading, but posting for the entertainment of all.

Posting my northern African Necromatic kingdom for entertainment and feedback. https://hodgepocalypse.com/2023/10/hodgepocalypse-africa-part-4-salted.html%85 #africa, #drevrpg, #apocalypse #dnd5e, #necromancy, #tunisia

Do you have a complete list of the Hodgepocalypse stuff? It looks fascinating, but your entries are really hard to navigate.