Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I've been skimming the discussion in here, and it's made me curious.

Does anyone have any advice/expertise for publishing a tabletop miniatures wargame? Everything in here seems to be about RPGs, which is cool, but are definitely a whole different beast.

My current goals for 2018 include:

1. Finish tightening up the rules (are currently at about 90%)
2. Get more playtesting with my friends and possibly any interested internet strangers
3. Hire an illustrator and editor to make the rulebooks pretty as hell
4. Hire a sculptor to make miniatures based off of the artwork
5. Kickstarter to fund miniature production+distribution (I dont have any grand ideas of this becoming lucrative)

Steps 3-5 are likely not going to happen, due to cost (I do plan on contacting some people just to see what the costs are). In an ideal world, I'd run the kickstarter to fund steps 3 & 4, but it's hard to get much attention on that platform without something to show beforehand. I'm not 100% set on these goals of course, as I understand they are extremely ambitious.

Would contacting a publisher be a better route? Is the industry far too full to receive yet another game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

slap me and kiss me posted:

Are you promoting your stuff? Whatever your answer is, you're not doing enough.

Ahh, I should add that to my list of things. I would definitely get ads on various nerd websites to boost publicity of the kickstarter should that be the path I take. Assuming thats what you mean by promoting.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

slap me and kiss me posted:

It's not. Ads won't get you anywhere. You need to be on twitter, G+, and reddit. You need to engage in communities. You need a regular blog post about what and why you're working on. You need to get people interested in what you're creating - so interested that they go out and do your advertising for you. That's not something you want buy, you have to grind that out, and it takes time, so you gotta start now, not when you're ready to sell.

Ahh, social media crap. That's an excellent point, I should have people interested in this long before I ever try and launch something. Thanks a bunch for that tip, its probably the most important thing I can do.

BinaryDoubts posted:

This is pure speculation but I think you'd do better selling it as a self-contained boardgame rather than a minis wargame. I know I'd be dubious seeing another wargame getting pushing on KS by an unknown author, since those game lines tend to thrive on constant expansion, more models, etc.

Those do seem to sell much better than another line of miniatures that are potentially unreliable over time, but it's not really what I want to make. Something like a self-contained starting set is ideally what I would want to launch, with all the rules and enough miniatures inside for a decently sized battle for two of the available factions (and a few options for people to design their army as they want). Then do waves of new releases, with community feedback on what model to do next.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Definitly go with d6s. Using a d8 is just slightly more annoying, since most people don't own more than one d8 (or any). Plus I think most gaming nerds have been trained to add up d6s pretty quick.

The difference in number values is small enough that you won't see to much of a difference when building the game. You're dealing with a range of 4-24 with an average of 14 instead of 3-24 with an average of 13.5.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Quote is not edit.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Zeerust posted:

Is there any particular mathematical stuff I need to be aware of that isn't obvious at first glance in using the sum of 2d8 as a resolution mechanic? my project intends to have tactical combat as a primary focus, so I'm expecting a lot of static modifiers and floating variables.

I'm using AnyDice to plot things out statistically, so I'm aware that modifiers on two dice works very differently than with a 1d20 roll, and I'll need to be careful statting challenges to account for the fact it's much harder to hit the higher numerical ranges rolling the sum of two dice.

I'm sure I'm just repeating things you already know, but since 2d8 has a average roll of 9 that bell curves outwards, something like a +1 shifts the whole bell curve in one direction, impacting more than on a d20 system.

So say you need a character to roll a 13 or higher in 2d8, you have a 15% chance of success. Giving them a single +1 to the roll means you now have a 25% chance of success, which is a pretty significant increase. Whereas d20 its the difference between 40% and 45%.

Just make sure to keep in mind how much of a difference these bonuses are compared to a d20, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

I still need to write Chest-High Valor, the rpg about 2000s style cover shooters. Your Chest-High Walls stat determines how much benefit you get in cover/heal rate.

The less health a character has, the less awareness/perception they have, as the screen has gone red.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

-The Story-

The distant future. Desiring a new home, one with opportunity and safety from the ever-oppressive growth of technology, settlers set out for a distant and hidden star. Decades adrift in the lonely void of space, they finally arrived at Abundance. A large and habitable planet, but lacking any significant mineral deposits on the surface, it saw rapid population growth. To fill the needs of an increasing settlement, the nearby planet of Hotsun had colonies established, along with the asteroid belts.

Five hundred years pass. Billions live on Abundance. The planet's farms need a constant supply of fertilizer imported from Hotsun, the City-States are at the brink of war. The rich and powerful built towering fortresses that pierce the skies in the center of each city, protected with the threat of orbital bombardments on any who would oppose them.

Handfuls of border skirmishes break out, but none wish to commit to full-scale war.

Reports start flooding in. The orbital drydocks have exploded, the domed colonies of Hotsun have been all but destroyed. There is panic, dissaray, and accusations across all of Abundance. The skirmishes grow to brawls, which in turn become all out war. The City-States mobilize their legions, and with no neutral ground drydocks to repair at, the navy scatters throughout the solar system.

Years of brutal fighting ensues. Resources are taxed, as none are able to re-settle Hotsun to get access to its precious mines. But the march of war is seemingly unending.

At first it was considered the ravings of shell-shocked soldiers, or excuses for those who failed in their duty. More and more stories of supposed mechanical creatures storming a position, sabotaging supplies, or ambushing patrols. These attacks became more and more frequent before it was finally officially announced; the Anso had invaded.

Silent and methodical in their warfare, these robotic soldiers have escalated the commitment to war of the entire planet.

The factions of Abundance Burning:

The Anso

They came from afar. Cold and calculating. These ancient immortals bring unimaginable weapons of war as their faceless soldiers march ever closer to their secret goal.
Robots from space. With some of the most expensive units in the game, they are both tough and deadly. Able to supercharge themselves with Surges that are generated at the beginning of the round, they can transform their most basic infantry into fortresses.

The City-States

Vast tracts of land and millions of souls make up each one of these massive cities. Able to build and supply a seemingly endless military, the might of a City-State is unmatched.
The common soldiers. Well trained and well armed, the infantry of the City-States are supported by powerful tanks and aircraft. Using unique Command abilities, units can test their Courage to gain temporary buffs.

The Corsairs

Many of those who live in the Greater Solar Region do so for the lack of law. Taking up arms against whoever they see as weaker, or whoever they are paid to fight, they are ruthless outlaws.
Pirates and mercenaries. Prioritizing aggression, most of them excel at close range shooting. They have the ability to buy Supply Drops, which give a temporary but powerful bonus to a unit. Arguably their most powerful ability is to put a transport inside another transport

The Outlanders

Not all who live on Abundance are trapped inside a City-State. These people live and die on the fringes of the planet. A hard life that breeds harder people, Outlanders will fight for their land and freedom.
Ambushers and berserkers. They tend to have few models on the board at the beginning of a game, but use hidden deployment to appear where needed. Their units are fairly weak, but can take advantage of any gap in an enemy lines, and are better than most in melee.

The Spire

In the center of a City-State is a politically autonomous towering citadel walled off from the rest. Within are brutal law enforcers and zealots who believe in the messages of the Spire lords, more than willing to fight.
Riot Police combined with priests. They are able to trigger more Panic tests in your enemy than others, which in turn generates Zeal. Zeal can also be generated when friendly Spire units fail their morale tests, so you can empower your good units by throwing mobs of cheap units into the meat-grinder.

(art borrowed without permission from the internet for flavour)

-The Game-

Abundance Burning is a miniatures wargame for two (or more) players. Designed to be quick and deadly, removing overcomplication while still leaving enough depth for veteran players.

Key features:
-Movement trays, and not very strict movement rules
-Five distinct factions, each with a different style of gameplay that can be made even more unique with Sub-Faction choices that effect units and army selection
-Action Point unit turns. No restrictions on what order a unit has to do things, it is up to the player what they wish their unit to do during this turn. Move then shoot, shoot then move. The tactical options are open.

I feel like the rules are probably missing something important, the game has gone through so many iterations and re-writes I wouldn't be surprised if I just forgot to write something down. I do plan on adding more fluff to the rules, but until it's at a point I'm happy with I'll be sharing the bare-bones rules (which are also more printer friendly)

The rules are here, in a handy PDF. Any feedback on the game would be greatly appreciated. I've only been able to wrangle my friends into a handful of games so far, and I know it needs more playtesting to find flaws.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Libertad! posted:

One of my projects, a maneuver/talent sourcebook for 13th Age Fighters, has just become a Best Silver Seller on Drive-Thru RPG.

Methinks I should write more 13th Age products. It's one of my few consistent continual sellers over the past year or so.

Oh hey thats really cool, congrats.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Zeerust posted:

I know the feeling, I must've gone through three or four revisions of my game without actually completing a thought or playtesting at all. I've made a blood oath to actually finish this revision before taking action on the secondary document full of ideas for beta 3.

Turns out the hard part right now is the 'How To Play' section and introduction. I feel like it's a lot easier to write a system than to explain how it works to a living human being :v:

I've got a pretty helpful friend group that I can use to guinea pig my ideas, and I know this feeling pretty well. Everything is so clear and concise in my head, then the second it encounters another person it all falls apart.

Foolster41 posted:

Does anyone here has experience with D100 based systems, like basic role playing by Chaosium.

Specifically I'm wondering how leveling up works. I feel like getting a +1 bonus is very small, and if the system ends up doing increments of 5, effectively making it a D20 based system. Is D100 really too fine? I've looked at the sample rulebook for BRP and there's no rules for leveling given.

I'm toying with making a RPG, and I'm toying with using a D100 mostly because it'd be interesting and so I'm not doing a typical D20 system, though I wonder if it's best to do D20 and not try to be different for the sake of being different.

I've played a fair amount of the now-defunct Dark Heresy rpg which is d100. I don't love d100, since it often feels like you're just playing d20x5. Yeah, it allows for more small increments of skill, but so often things just end up being +5 and +10. I also find there's a lot more bookkeeping of small numbers adding up that need to be tracked but that could be a flaw in the DH game rather than a d100 system itself.

And to be perfectly honest, some players struggle with having to roll say a 5 and a 60 and aligning the dice to be 65, then modifying that number with whatever character stuff you have. It just feels like one extra step that can be removed by rolling a single d20.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Foolster41 posted:

So, I was feeling like my game is falling into a rut of being a bit overly a D&D clone (mostly taking the 4e class "powers" and arranging them a bit differently into five groups you can choose from on level-up, so more like the D20 modern leveling system). But then I was thinking about what if I did some more unusual stuff with dice. I feel like the ideas I come up with are just goijng to be done in D&D.

I was reminded of a dice system I had for a miniatures game I was working on. that had 0,0,,1,1,2 on it, so the higher values was also more rare on the dice.

I thought, :"well what if the four outcomes (Major failure, failure, success, major sucess) were the dice, and either had values you add (-2,-1,-1,1,2) or you compared them (sucess/failure cancels each other, the majors cancel each other). Which isn't too far I guess from the narrative dice system of Edge of Empire/Genysis system, albeit on the same dice instead of opposing dice, or almost the same as rolling two fudge dice (but without blanks sides)

I don't know if this is an interesting idea, and maybe I'm rambling a bit, but I like the idea of getting out of this D20 clone rut. Am I trying too hard to be different? Interesting? Should I just use fudge dice?

Basically the concept of the system is there are 5 divines, each associated with am attribute (Power, Stamina, Agility, Mind and Charm) and each level you get +1 to the attribute, and 1 "perk" associated with one of the divines (and each perk has different requirements of their associated attribute, so a really good Power perk requires a higher Power to take).

0,0,1,1,2 could be pretty fun, as it keeps the numbers reined in somewhat, so values wont be so wildly different. I have personal experience trying to write rules for a game using fudge dice, and I do not recommend it unless the game is very simplistic. Having dice that both add and take away is extremely difficult to balance since adding more dice doesn't actually increase the odds of rolling a positive outcome. They're great in games like Fate, where you don't roll too often and the game is very narrative focused, but if you're wanting to do any amount of dungeon crawling I would absolutely avoid fudge dice.

Don't worry too much about trying to be different. It's impossible. There are probably a thousand game systems out there, and nerds have been cranking them out for over 50 years. Just stick to what feels good for you, and will be fun to play instead of whats "unique". The game I've been working on has been completely overhauled probably 4 times now, each time reducing the complexity and refining it into something that plays easier (and so a character sheet can fit on one piece of paper!).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I don't really know what it means, but I like it!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Reminds me of the best map:

Took me a second. :golfclap:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I'm needing outsider input on the game that I'm working on. Its a fantasy RPG with an emphasis on slowly diminishing resources available to the character, since I was always bothered by most RPG mechanics being either "your character is fully capable of doing anything they want with infinite stamina" and "you're dead". Stamina and Willpower (brain stamina) are key parts of the game, along with small injuries adding up over time forcing characters to either take some time off and rest in town, or fully retire. My goals as a GM for this game is to force the players to race against the clock in the narrative, so it's a difficult choice if they want to spend a week in town recovering from injuries or just try and muscle through it and risk death.

The problem I'm encountering is how to apply the effects of wounds and damage in a satisfying way. I feel like I'm either making things far too complex to be fun or just feeling weird.

This is the current damage system:
https://imgur.com/a/K5pmi40
Note that the exact values are subject to change, along with the wound effects (and I'll definitely edit some of the wording)

Bit of background information; at character creation, characters will have minumum 2 Stamina, and going all the way up to 16, and 2-16 Willpower. A good Fighter would probably have around 10 Stamina, whereas a stealthy knife-wielder would likely have 6 or so. Armour goes from 1-9, and is extremely expensive to get anything above around a 5 (not to mention applies some serious penalties that may discourage a lot of builds from taking heavy armour).

Does this sound overwhelming and annoying to track?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Zeerust posted:

I think the temporary damage --> persistent damage attrition spiral is a decent idea if you're driving the idea of dwindling resources against a hostile time limit. There's a few games that handle things in a similar way - Blades in the Dark uses a much more abstracted system, where Stress cascades into permanent Trauma that eventually forces a character into death or retirement.

Am I right in thinking there's three Hit Point pools for damage to come out of (body, mind, spirit)? What does Willpower do outside of being a target for attacks? Is there any way you could fold the location roll into the result of the trauma roll? Some games use the reverse of the result rolled to map to the body's hit locations.

I'll have to check that out, since that's what I'm trying to go for. I want a players to see danger as actual danger to their character, and not just some HP loss for the next two seconds before the cleric casts Heal.

Ignore Spirit, thats a remnant from a test I was doing but somehow slipped through the editing cracks.

There are two pools, Mind and Body, providing Willpower and Stamina respectively. Specialty classes like wizards or bards will use a ton of Willpower, and in combat it can be spent to re-roll a d20. Outside of combat, willpower is also the "social" resource.

I've played games where you reverse the number rolled, and I have to say, not a big fan of it. Often leads to confusion with players (and leads to weirdness when dealing with numbers that auto-pass or auto-fail).

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 3, 2019

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Zeerust posted:

Right, I think I understand. So Willpower damage itself doesn't cause Trauma, but reduces a character's effectivity?

I think having two resource pools that can be directly attacked isn't too complex, and the Trauma roll is pretty straightforward as well. More Trauma means worse outcomes on the Trauma roll, I assume?

Are there separate Trauma tables depending on the limb targeted? Are individual instances of trauma tracked separately as problems to be fixed?

I think the key here is how combat-focused the game is. If it's super heavy on fighting I would probably be more inclined to keep the trauma system lightweight and 'gamey', since your players will be interacting with it frequently and you don't want it getting bogged down every turn with people having to make multiple dice rolls to determine injury effects.

I'm probably going to add a Willpower trauma chart, making it so characters can become demoralized over time and less enthusiastic about diving into battle.

Yes, each limb has its own chart, so a roll on the leg will give different results than a roll on the chest. Hands can get cut off, and brains can be concussed. If a 20 is rolled on a hit that caused at least 11 trauma, the character could flat out die.

Simplifying the tables would probably be a very good idea, since combat is a large part of the game (but not all there is to it!) and lots of cross referencing tables makes for bad gameplay.

Zeerust posted:

That's fair enough, it's one way of dealing with it but definitely not perfect. I remember playing WFRP 2e, where basically every attack hit the left leg.

Alternatives I might consider is either abstracting injuries to the extremities into the Trauma table as random effects (i.e., '24-26: Your leg is severed'), or having limb/headshots be something a character actively aims for, instead of occuring at random, and those specific trauma tables being brought in for that.

I was considering that, just mixing all of the trauma into one giant table and making the player roll a d100 or something, but I do want called-shot style talents to be implanted without too much work.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

And thanks for the feedback. Glad my game doesn't come across as a total slog. I know it needs a lot of editing and refinement, but Im happy the core of it seems okay.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

So over the last couple of weeks I've slammed out a little game for my local group to play, given we all love cyberpunk but have different mechanical desires to what most cyberpunk-y games offer.

I've got an idea for character sheet decoration that really leans into the hacker theme of the game. I like it, but I'm wanting to get feedback as to whether it's something that looks readable and usable.

The only real things to know is that the game uses a characteristic + skill system, with skills divided up between things to roll in the real world and things to roll in the virtual world (Exverse and Inverse, respectively)

It's techically a two pager, but the second page is just places to list cyberware, programs each character has access to, and health, so as long as the front page works, it's all good.

I love the idea of it, but you really need to make it clear the difference between the important text and the background flavour. When asking players to find a word on a charactersheet (such as: hey what's your Perception?), they struggle when it's blank.

If you're not adverse to colours, making the important stuff a different colour could really help.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Zeerust posted:

Double posting, but:

I'm considering whether to make enemy damage curves more deterministic than players'. I've streamlined my damage system to a simple scale of 1d3/1d6/1d6+2/2d6/etc., but this still gives a fairly wide distribution for damage, and I'm concerned that it allows too much leeway for enemies to whiff their damage rolls before being inevitably nuked.

Keep in mind that one of the main jobs of the GM is to lie.

"Oh darn, what are the odds that the goblin crit you and cut your arm off? What a shame." you say as you quickly adjust that roll of 3 to a 20.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Whoops maybe trying to make 14+ unique factions for my new game was a poor choice. Can't turn back now.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Pull up! Cut back to three major factions and roll the others into them as flavor or orgs or cults/whatever, or leave a couple of them as independents that could be possible spoilers to the balance of power.

I can probably double up some and knock it down to 8 or so, but so many are wildly unique from others that it would be hard to do. The main thing is coming up with names for stuff. How many different ways can I say "warrior"?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

the nomad faction get the Outrunners,

Hey, stop stealing my ideas. I already have the Outrunners and Outriders in the nomadic faction haha.

I'm creating a tabletop wargame set in the same universe as a RPG I've been working on for years, so I've written up many "countries" for campaign settings and character creation. Then splash in a few of the magic-monsters that have been baddies in campaigns. It hasn't been too hard to come up with basic and unique concepts for each team, just filling them out is obviously the hard part.

I think I'll definitely work on reducing the number by changing some of the factions to simple add-on mercenary like groups

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The feedback has convinced me to reduce the number to 7. It's probably a good idea to not bloat the game so quickly, so the rest are going to be set to the side for now. A handful will continue as optional add-on units to the main factions but won't be their own team.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Its more 1v1v1v1v1v1v1, with various levels of cooperation between a few of them as needed.

The background is it was a plain and boring fantasy world, then magic just happened at one point, and the monsters and spellcasters spent the next thousand years ravaging the land during what the call the Time of Terror. Just about every form of civilization was wiped out and humanity brought near extinction. A combined effort of heroes and a waning in the scale of magic allowed the world to be resettled. Now, hundreds of years later, nations are vying for power and trying to claim territory, as people tend to do. Magic is feared by most, but commanders see the value in it and will bring these Outsiders into the fray.

The main players in this are;
Kremrizc - Highly organized with expert crafted weapons and armour.
Lionstone - Fanatics that will throw themselves upon the enemy, lacks any magic and can suppress other faction's magic use.
Ice Holds - Semi-nomadic, with fast skirmishers and can outrange their opponents.
Lioria - Well trained and equipped infantry, supported by unstoppable Knights
Quin-Welast - Foreign invaders with early gunpowder (very early, like firepots and rockets) and unique tactics
Vanghelm - Low armour barbarians who excel at challenging and slaughtering enemy leaders.
Eitrkin - One of the few organized groups of creatures of magic, so every unit on the field has at least some amount of magic.

The teams cut down from full factions;
Juthom - A former lost colony, and wasn't effected much during the Time of Terror and attack from ships along the coastlines
Khash - A walled island nation that little is known about. Powerful sorcerers wander out for unknown objectives.
Sabar - Desert kingdom across the sea, lots of cavalry and tamed monsters.
Vost - A series of mountain towns hidden away, where every single person is trained to fight.
Ogoromny - Wandering tribes of giants, each one of them is worth a dozen men in battle. Mostly peaceful but can often seek out food in the wrong places.

Cut team: Thaddenhounds - Swarms of magic beasts that build up strength as more blood is spilled on the battlefield, friend or enemy.

Each team has unique models and heroes, as expected, but as the statlines of units are fairly simple, what sets them apart is the unique Command board that each have. Players get to activate a number of special buffs for their units, each one themed to better support the playstyle of their faction.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

shades of eternity posted:

It sounds like a solid enough design, but can you do a quick walkthrough using an if-then statement for gameplay?

I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but I'll type up a quick summary.

Unit statlines: (M)ovement, (Q)uality, (O)rganizaition, (A)ttack, (D)efense, (C)ourage. Move is generally 8" for infantry, 14 for cavalry. Heavy armour reduces a unit's movement.

Players roll each turn for Initiative, higher rolling going first. They then add up the total Command value of all of the models that have that rule, and roll that many Command Dice to use that turn.

Example command: ⚄⚃ Headhunter: Choose a Champion in a duel. Roll two dice and choose the highest for the duel roll. - you would have to discard a command dice thats 5+, and one thats 4+ to activate the bonus. Commands only effect your own units.

Player with initiative resolves their army first. Move, Magic, Ranged, Melee. Units cannot make ranged attacks if they moved that turn. If a unit moves into an enemy unit, they get locked in melee for later.

To fight, a player will take the Quality of the unit, and add the number of models in the unit that are touching enemy models to that value. If they have additional models in the unit that aren't touching, they may also be added to the Quality, but only up to the unit's Organization bonus. Most units only have an O of 1-3, but adding things like Spears and Pikes give +3 and +5 respectively. Once both players know their total Quality, they will now roll a d6 for their unit, the unit with the higher Quality getting +1 (+2 if their Q is double or more). Ties are discarded.

Whoever wins the fight can now make wounds, rolling their unit's Attack against the enemy's Defense, with the higher number getting the +1/+2. Attacker kills one model per amount they beat the enemy by.

You can buy Champions that go in units to buff them (or not), who are able to challenge each other in melee and have their own mini-fights.

This is obviously skipping a lot of nuance to the game, but I'm hoping it will be a comfortable middle ground of making battles fairly quick and effortless, while still allowing for interesting tactics.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

shades of eternity posted:

It makes sense from a conceptual model.

I think you got something here. :)

Glad you think so. It obviously will need a ton of playtesting before I'm comfortable with it, I can guarantee that there will be some horrible and obvious flaw that has slipped me by.

One change I've made recently, is I got rid of the Courage value from the game. Instead, when a player needs to make a Courage test they will make a Quality roll (I figured since almost every model has near equivalent quality to courage values, why have a redundant stat?). Courage tests happen when casualties are taken, or if they have to fight a Fearsome model.

Not to get into boring details, but what I'm going for is the value you fail the courage test by adds an equivalent penalty to any Quality roll that unit makes. Fail your courage by 2? You now have a -2 to your fight roll.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Covok posted:

Should I merge these ideas or work on them independently? They're both PbtA games. The first one I worked with an old friend on, but we petered out. It's trying to be the mecha genre of anime, but was mostly things like Gundam. The second is a recent project that tried to be specifically just Evangelion. After starting the second one, it dawned on me that these ideas could be consolidated.

Mechross Your Heart

You Can (Not) Win

It sounds to me like they could easily be merged into one, you could just have a 'chapter' of Evangelion special rules for those who want to use them.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Thinking of changing a game I'm working on so that lower dice rolls are better. Will this be gross? Can our lizard-brains comprehend that smaller is better?

It'll make the system much easier to do the math for what your target roll is (add these two numbers together, roll a dice and hope you get under that number).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

I could see that for something where players roll the damage dealt to them, or the total rolled is the cost of some action or failure, etc.

The current example is shooting at a target. Add your skill (higher skill value is better) and the target's Heat (players want to keep their Heat low) together, then roll a d12. If you roll lower than the Skill+Heat value, you hit the target. I figured this is more intuitive than what was originally planned where you have the usual style of Skill 8+, with a bonus to the rolled dice based off of the target's Heat.

It'll also be nice since there can then be 'crit' style effects where something happens on a certain roll of dice, and I wont have to include explanation that you determine crits before adjusting dice or whatever.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

roll-over or roll-under systems are fine, do what you want, but THIS is unforgivable

I will go to my grave using singular 'dice'!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

That's awesome!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Time to make fully automatic weapons illegal since they're frustrating to write rules for.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Question for those who have made their own games using cards, is there a decent machine for rapidly-slicing a paper into cards? Specifically 41x63mm.

Looking online I can find machines that either slice into only business-card size, or cost several thousand dollars. I own one of those cutting boards, but those aren't exactly great when you want to do hundreds of cards at a time.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I could swap to business-card size for now, it just so happens that I have nearly a thousand extra card sleeves of the size I mentioned, which makes shuffling so much easier (and adds some rigidity to the cards, while still allowing my junk printer to not get jammed up by cardstock).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

noether posted:

what kinds of things should I be doing to make sure I get the most out of playtesting? I've run about seven or eight sessions using the system for my co-creator and some mutual friends, and it seems to have been going mostly smoothly, but I feel like there's probably a lot of stuff I'm missing due to everyone involved being very inexperienced with the game design process. there's been a couple times when we've used a subsystem for the first time and immediately realized it sucked in practice and started trying to rework it, which I thiiink is a good sign. I mean, if we weren't learning anything at all, I'd be even more worried.

Gonna second the plan of handing it off to a group who know absolutely nothing about the game, and seeing how they enjoy it, and see what questions or issues they have.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Mr.Misfit posted:

Any of you ever had this moment, when, after a playtest, your players most unanimously say "You know, this would be great as a boardgame, as an rpg, not so much." ?
Feel a little bit crushed after last nights playtesting of my latest project =|

It sucks to hear, but that sounds like good feedback to me? Rework it to be a boardgame, or tighten up the RPG aspects!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Well since covid restrictions are preventing me from playtesting the game I made, that means I'm free to start ten new projects, right?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Quick question for y'all, I'm working on a game that is players vs board, and was thinking of replacing dice rolling with a different mechanic.

Basically players put a number of white stones into a bag, the board puts a number of black stones into a bag. Shake it up, draw one. If its black, you lose, if its white you win.

Does this sound like something that would get tiresome having to do it multiple times a turn? I'm slightly worried that instead of doing a few dice rolls every now and then that are very quick and easy, going for this "unique" mechanic might slow stuff down too much to be worth it.

Edit for more detail:

as it currently works each player would make 2-3 rolls a round, with at least a dozen rounds a game.

Some of the rolls would be merged, as instead of each player making a roll, they'd instead each draw a stone from the same bag.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 10, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

What software do you all use for planning and organizing design documents? Scrivner? I'm just plugging away in a google doc right now.

About two hundred poorly formatted openoffice documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

UnCO3 posted:

Crossposting from the publishing thread:

Oh, this is fantastic! Thanks a lot.