Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

So over the last couple of weeks I've slammed out a little game for my local group to play, given we all love cyberpunk but have different mechanical desires to what most cyberpunk-y games offer.

I've got an idea for character sheet decoration that really leans into the hacker theme of the game. I like it, but I'm wanting to get feedback as to whether it's something that looks readable and usable.

The only real things to know is that the game uses a characteristic + skill system, with skills divided up between things to roll in the real world and things to roll in the virtual world (Exverse and Inverse, respectively)

It's techically a two pager, but the second page is just places to list cyberware, programs each character has access to, and health, so as long as the front page works, it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Thanks for sheet feedback, people! I'll tidy it up and line things up after the current round of playtests.

Zeerust posted:

I need to fish for some opinions before this internal dialogue gets too intense.

I'd personally prefer the Xd8 system. As long as you have crumched the odds and made add sure the bonuses and penalties scale in a reasonable fashion, it should be fine. I'd personally prefer it to another d% + fifteen different things to calculate system

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Okay, let's give this a proper go.

HI! I'm Zarkov. You may know me from previous posts, such as the character sheet on this very page, and practically no other interaction on this forum.

I'm wrapping up a Deadlands game in the next couple of months, and the group decided they wanted to play a Cyberpunk inspired game, but not CP2020, Shadowrun, Eclipse Phase (if that counts), or any other published game out there. The general requirements were:

1.) The game should roll fast.
2.) Combat should be something to be avoided due to danger, although character death should still have weight.
3.) Heists are cool.
4.) An interesting setting, preferably some place new (outside of Australia, the US, or Eastern Europe).

So I'm throwing together Exverse, a cyberpunk data heist game, set in northern africa after the Sahara has been converted to fields of solar power stations.

I'm not toxxing myself on this one, but I have a short time frame to get it working, a list of player demands, and you guys to tell me when I'm doing something silly. Perfect amount of pressure to get something workable!

For anyone with the time and inclination to have a read, the link to the system is below. Most of the page count is fluff at this point. The first five pages or so are core rules, before diving into character creation.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aCJuJ_c71vfKjB-GLwuFdEytPeQ-wDgdXiq-KuFElXs/edit?usp=sharing

Right now this game is being built for my table, but if I get good feedback by the time it's done from my players and you lot, I might take that extra step and do something official with it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Zeerust posted:

I've been slooowly reading my way through the Google Doc,

Thanks! It's great to have feedback (and, frankly, great to have feedback that specifically calls out stuff you're proud of in a positive fashion :D)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Flail Snail posted:

Not I, but I did get my feet wet with RPG Geek's 24 Hour RPG contest. I don't think I'm quite up for the 200 word variety.

Has anyone participated in the RPG Writer Workshop? The fall session is about to start up and I was considering trying it out. For a quick sample of what past attendees have created, here's more stuff on RPG Geek.

Cheers for this - I've been procrastinating writing the intro adventures for my games, so this should help a lot.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

oriongates posted:

I'm trying to think of what other rights it might grant without going too far overboard (something like immunity from prosecution is an obvious no-go). Any thoughts and/or holes to poke in what I've talked about so far?

*Medallions allow the bearer to legally use magic, as opposed to being hunted as a witch.
*They are both currency and proof of identity within the organisation (example John Wick)
*The medallions project what you do to a social networking site. Freelancers are as much social media influencers as mercs, and as they rack up jobs, they rack up views, netting them potentially millions.
*The medallions can be exchanged for a one-time thing on the scale of resurrection - folk hold on to them as a 1-Up.
*Mediallions are bound with a number of servants that do the mundane tasks that a Freelancer couldn't be bothered with. laundry, tilling fields, all the things that a serf/freeman has to do for a living - although as soon as anyone knows they have it, they're likely to lose it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

I did it.

Literal years of work have been compressed down into a 79mb zip file of PDFs/images that has finally been sent to the overseas manufacturer. No more tweaks or changes. 36 shrink wrapped 70x120mm cards, 4 small sheets of 2-sided punchout tokens, a z-fold instruction sheet, 6 dice, and a shrink wrapped full color 2-part box. I feel so weird right now

Congrats!

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Hey all,

I spent the weekend smashing out a system cause I had a weird dice idea that seemed fun, and I've been meaning to nail Spire's stress/fallout system and the Siholette damage system to something. Idea is for a fun universal system that I can use with my friends, because there's a lot of genre gaming they like but most of those systems I don't enjoy.

Anyhows, I was hoping for help with the maths, making sure it works. The core system is success counting.

Summary:
* Every skill always has five dots.
* Dots start as untrained (D6's).
* Untrained dots can be upgraded to trained (D8)
* Trained dots can be upgraded to focused (D12)
* When making a skill check, roll the five dice as approprate for your dots, TN 6.
* If you possess a positive characteristic, you get to reroll that many failed dice.
* If you possess a negative characteristic, you get to reroll that many successful dice.

I've tried just rolling dice to see how it feels, and it seems okay. I'm just not sure the best way to math it out to make sure it holds up at different skill levels.

Document so far attached for system clarity.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12bTaljLu4MxONhlcFL0cGCms5hie32NAfxCqEpmNK4Y/edit?usp=sharing

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Zeerust posted:

Just clarifying from the document, every skill roll is five dice, right? You just roll different sizes of dice depending on how trained you are?

So if I've got three trained dots in a Skill and made a check at +2, I'd roll 3d8, 2d6 and reroll two dice that rolled <6?

Correct. You always roll 5 dice, it's just the type of dice that change.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh hey, this might be a perfect thread for this.

I've been working on an idea and just got my prototype in and wanted to solicit feedback here for the general concept. I've gotten a lot of interest so far but wanted to see what you folks think of the idea.

The general idea is solid, and I can see it being pretty damned popular if it's offered at a decent price point.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

shades of eternity posted:

I've had a beta version of my monster manual for hodgepocalypse for ages now. I'm putting up a share so I can get people to try it out, test the critters (they are 5e compatible), and give feedback while I work on my module.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rxYmnoMDAkxBvb0jmnsYCpIj3bUgfd1A/view?fbclid=IwAR0iXymxAl8qGo-OZmDgxWLBkL0q7m-6dl7p1QgLbajLz2FNM-cLy70xDvc

I don't know the Hodgepocalypse setting - or frankly the 5e system - well enough to mechanically comment, but posting to confirm your stuff has been seen.

Having the intro for each category of creatures is good, but could probably be expanded out a little more. The couple of paragraphs detaiing what the Corpsemen are would be useful if I wanted to use them in a game, but with the number of creatures you've listed it seems a little sparse. Throwing in a little more detail on organisiation, history, and goals, as well as a couple of pre-made plot hooks allowing a GM to tie it into their campaign would make the book far more valuable. There's a fair number of spelling and grammatical errors, but I'm assuming that you're not up to the getting an editor to look at it stage.

Looking good though - crazy amount of work, and I'm vaguely jealous of that :P

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I think any collective group of monsters probably deserves a page of hooks and notes. It makes it easier to build a session/storyline/campaign around that collective, and thus increases the books value for propsective GM buyers.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Imaginary Friend posted:

I've been tinkering with a thing! I don't know if I'll every finish it because my track record on finishing things is not that great but here's for trying!

Just keep posting. I - a stranger from the internet - believe in you. You got this one.

I'd comment on the rules, but my swedish is rusty/non existent.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks folks. I'm putting together my KS launch page now and other than the video it's mostly done. If you want to see more or have any suggestions for how I can present the idea better I'm all ears. The video will show some examples of it in use similar to the listed recipes. I'm offering it at $20 for the deck and $5 shipping (domestic), which if the campaign goes well will include ~110 cards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rollthedicegames/the-dungeon-master-deck?ref=4hrilr&token=a86e2ff7

I've gotten 50 people following the project on KS so far, and I'm pushing hard to get the "Projects We Love" badge from KS staff which would really help it take off.

Followed, looking forwards to sharing it to people once it goes live.

The layout of the KS looks good. The audio on the video could be touched up, but it's still clear enough that you get the point across. Great job!

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Backed and shared. Looks like it's going well so far.

For those of us too damned scared to actually pull the trigger on a Kickstarter, what was the process you had to go through to get it going?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I just had the single best moment in my brief game dev history happen to me.

One of my playtesters just asked for a copy of the trial rules cause he wants to run it for one of his groups. Not as a playtest, but because he actually likes the system.

I've been having a terrible couple weeks, and this really turned my mood around. Needed to share with folk who'd appreciate the sensation.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'm at the point with my project that I need to start thinking about art. I'm building a setting neutral system, and I was thinking about just hitting up shutterstock or the like.

Does anyone have experience with stock art sites or could recommend a better one? I'd be looking for a mix of fantasy, urban fantasy, and cyberpunk art.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh hey I should probably post this here:

My Disco Elysium inspired, Bluebeard's Bride hacking mystery solving game about amnesia now has a playtest version!
It has playbooks and everything.

I'm not really a PbtA guy, but this seems pretty solid from what I know of it. How's the playtesting going?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Okay devs. Help a newbie out.

I've almost finished the first draft, and I've got an editor lined up. Bonus points, I've got a gamer editor lined up, which has to be a plus.

The next thing to organise is going to be art. Rather than trying to find an artist, I was thinking about getting a shutterstock account. It's a generic game system, so I figure generic artwork should work well enough.

Has anyone has experience with shutterstock as a service? Is it likely to cause problems when actually creating a saleable product?

Also, this might be a stupid question, what's the deal with setting up the copyright details? Is it just a casee of adding into the manuscript, or do I need to actually get something registered somewhere?

(Yes, I 100% could ask google, but frankly I don't really want to trust my dubious google-fu to something that might be an important question)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

UnCO3 posted:

Hope that helps!

That's a HUGE help! Thanks.

Now to finish this absolutely brutal work project so I can get back to something fun.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

So double 1-5 is crit fail, double 6-10 is crit hit? .

WFRP has it so a double is a crit - if you succeeded on the roll, it's a crit success. If you failed, it's a crit failure. It's a pretty simple system,and helps to reinforce the feeling of being good at something. This level a double 4 is a crit success on this roll, last level it was a crit failure.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

So I've got my game Aristocracy to the point that I need to perform three final major tasks:

1.) Coming up with a better name
2.) Editing
3.) Layout

I've got an editor lined up - and I've lucked out there, cause she's a gamer and professional editor, so working with game rules is a little easier for her. The layout is going to be the tricky part. The OP suggests using Scribus - does anyone have any advice or hints that I should look at regarding Scribus, or is it all pretty self-explanatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

It's taken me three damned years, but... it's done. I've finally managed to get a system built from the ground up, playtested it, edited, and got it up onto drivethru. I've been fighting to get the manuscript to a point where a hard copy would work and... it's done.

Aristocracy is a low crunch system that emphasises flexible character builds, unpredictable pulpy conflicts, and adaptability to most settings.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459027/Aristocracy

Now I need to actually work out how to market the bastard. If anyone has any advice or tales of woe, I'd love to hear them!