Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I've been working on an idea for a story driven board game. Most story board games use either a preset story or random events, and I'm trying to come up with something in the middle where it's structured but not preset. I've been looking at rpg rules for inspiration, but I am not very familiar with modern rpgs so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations that might be similar to what I'm trying to do. I've paged through the rules for Dramasystem, Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel and a couple others and found some good ideas, but they all lean toward character driven rather than plot driven. I'm curious if there's anything in the realm of tabletop rpgs that gives the players or GM clear mechanical direction on how to advance a plot with maybe a little less player autonomy. I don't mean completely railroaded, but I'm imagining something like the GM sets up a conflict designed to test a character's strengths or weaknesses, and the player either chooses how to respond to that or has to pass a skill check - but either way the narrative progresses, with each scene increasing the narrative tension and escalating to a climax - that sort of thing, but with the system driving what scenes happen next, and how they escalate. Maybe something like keeping track of streaks of successes and failures, and generating a comic or tragic arc based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Draw 5 and keep 1, discard the rest to the center and everyone takes 1 more from the center?