Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The Legends of PizzaJoe

(Click the picture to go to the respective post)

So, what the gently caress?
My partner Yoshi and I wanted to Let's Play these two Zelda titles after my previous Skyward Sword LP. The runner-up name for Link in that was PizzaJoe, and we liked it so much we wanted to use it properly. Again and again and again. So here's a double-stuffed crust of a PizzaJoe thread: Majora's Mask and Wind Waker HD New Game+!

Latest Updates
Majora's Mask - Complete!

Wind Waker HD NG+

---Additional Links PizzaJoes---
My simultaneous LP of Ocarina of Time 3D

My previous Zelda LPs: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to the seminal Ocarina of Time, and except for the still-poo poo first-person aiming, it improves on it in every way. The story is more introspective and creative, the characters are more alive, the world is more richly detailed, and the difficulty fully expects you to do your homework. Also, it's dark. Like, there is no hope in anyone you meet dark. Where OoT was a classical tale of good destined to defeat evil, Majora's Mask is a memorable parable of loss, death, madness, and acceptance. You are not destined to save this world; this time, you have to want to.

The story is such:
The Hero of Time slips away from Hyrule to find a long-lost friend. While wandering the Lost Woods, he is attacked by a masked Skull Kid, who steals his horse and escapes. PizzaJoe gives chase, only to fall through worlds and end up in the mirror universe Termina, where Skull Kid has doomed the land to be crushed by the moon in three days. A mysterious (read: creepy) figure called The Happy Mask Salesman tasks PizzaJoe with retrieving the titular mask from the Skull Kid, while helping out everyone else in the world Skull Kid screwed over. Good thing he can time travel.

---LP Description---
100% LP, show off everything, blah blah blah you know the drill by now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EPM's The Interplay of Narrative and Engagement in Majora’s Mask

Epee Em posted:

Given that the HMS can identify any mask you bring him, it's reasonable to assume his knowledge of Majora's Mask is as accurate as we'll ever get.

And come to think of it, since Thorn didn't show that off, I'll include all those. The transformation masks don't get comments.

"That's the Postman's Hat, isn't it? That is a fine thing. It is filled with the joy of freedom."
"That's the All-Night Mask, isn't it? That looks like an expensive mask."
"That's the Blast Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with feelings of gratitude."
"That's the Stone Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with an appreciation for things that go unnoticed."
"That's the Great Fairy's Mask, isn't it? That is quite rare. Normally, you wouldn't be able to get one of those."
"That's a Keaton Mask, isn't it? It carries quite a lot of nostalgia. It was popular with children long ago."
"That is the Bremen Mask, isn't it? If you have that, then it would appear you have the qualities of a leader."
"That's the Bunny Hood, isn't it? That is a fine thing. It is filled with kindness towards animals."
"That's Don Gero's Mask, isn't it? That mask has a very operatic feel about it." (:v: The M. Bulteau mask?)
"That is the Mask of Scents, isn't it? You've done well to get that mask. Looking at its condition, I can tell that its previous owner was neat and tidy."
"That's Romani's Mask, isn't it? That is a nice mask. It is a sentimental item that exudes a lot of maturity."
"That's the Circus Leader's Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with the feelings of tenderness left behind in the back of one's heart."
"That's Kafei's Mask, isn't it? The worry of a concerned mother is expressed quite well in that mask."
"That's the Couple's Mask, isn't it? That is truly a very fine mask. It's overflowing with powerful feelings of love and gratitude."
"That is the Mask of Truth, isn't it? You have a frightful mask. But being able to see into people's hearts and minds seems useful..."
"That's Kamaro's Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with the joy a teacher has in finding a good student."
"That's the Gibdo Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with the love of a father and child."
"That's the Garo's Mask, isn't it? If you have that mask, you must be one with quite a bit of courage."
"That's the Captain's Hat, isn't it? That is a splendid thing. It earns the respect and sworn allegiance of legions of soldiers."

And interestingly enough, you can't wear the Giant's Mask anywhere but the Twinmold boss room, but if you use a cheat device to do so anyway, the HMS will say: "That's the Giant's Mask, isn't it? That truly is a rare mask..."

(By Epee Em)

(By Aristide)

(By agent4, Tumblr)

(By Fruitful-Quest, Tumblr)

(By Wingedcervidae, Tumblr)

(By an-artist-complex, Tumblr)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 31, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
BUT HD!

---Game Description---
Wind Waker is a much-loved GameCube installment in the Zelda franchise, and it's arguably the best from a technical standpoint. The art style allows for very expressive and lively characters, the controls and camera are some of the smoothest in the franchise, and while the sailing does wear incredibly thin over time, it does give the feel of a huge, epic world. We're also playing the HD version because we love losing our eyesight to stupid amounts of bloom. Sploooosh.

The story is such:
PizzaJoe is a dim but loveable boy living with his sister and grandma on Outset Island. Then a huge bird kidnaps his sister. He convinces a ragtag group of pirates to take him to where she was taken, then Ganondorf gets involved, and well, you can probably guess where the story goes from there.

---LP Description---
This will not be a 100% LP, simply due to the massive amount of pointless (and useless) side poo poo available. However, to spice this particular LP up, Yoshi will be playing through the New Game+, which is not a common option for LPs of this game.

(By an-artist-complex, Tumblr)

(By Antsorter, Tumblr)

(By DickyOldman, Twitter)

(By cofaigh)

MiiVerse Tingle Bottles

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 17, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Let's get this party cart started.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ThornBrain posted:

---LP Description---
This will not be a 100% LP, simply due to the massive amount of pointless (and useless) side poo poo available.

Well if you cut out the Nintendo Gallery, it's not all that much more side poo poo than any other Zelda game. And I guess you're not doing HD?

Neko-Bakene
Oct 27, 2012
Not doing WW to 100% is fair. Getting all the treasure charts for only rupee's would be a bog and not very worth while. Looking forward to this one, if you made Skyward Sword watchable, you playing a great game is going to be a blast.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I got the Gamecube Zelda compilation that included Majora's Mask.
I loved the whole thing to the end.
The whole thing is a sort of horror that is more psychological, and relies on being unsettling rather than jump scares.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Pharohman777 posted:

Man, I got the Gamecube Zelda compilation that included Majora's Mask.
I loved the whole thing to the end.
The whole thing is a sort of horror that is more psychological, and relies on being unsettling rather than jump scares.
I want to like Majora's Mask but that Gamecube disc is the only version of the game I've had and it is a loving terrible port. The version of Majora's Mask on the compilation disc has a high chance of freezing, and because of the save system being quick saves that are deleted when you load the game (aside from song of time saves) if you get unlucky when the game decides to freeze you can lose hours of progress. I've never finished Majora's Mask because this happened to me and I couldn't be bothered to do all that stuff again.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Yay, I'm excited for the upcoming release of A Link Between Worlds and have been wanting to see an LP of Wind Waker (I don't know why that one) for a while. Majora's Mask is a good bonus, as I've never played the game and am interested in it.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
And this is the thanks I get?!

frozentreasure posted:

Well if you cut out the Nintendo Gallery, it's not all that much more side poo poo than any other Zelda game. And I guess you're not doing HD?

Well every island has stuff on it (except one that only has a chart to dig up) and traveling to them at the required times over and over just gets redundant when the reward is never worth it. Even some of the unique items like the health viewing mask and magic armor is entirely pointless to get. But then again so is alot of stuff in all the Zelda games, like the money armor in twilight princess. It's hard to make a reward system for games that are just not challenging to begin with I guess.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Wait you're doing Wind Waker as well?! Aw man awesome, I can't wait to see the Majora videos that I missed after I left that stream. I know you always say how much you love this game Thorn, so I can't wait to see you get into the REAL dark moments that make this game just absolutely amazing.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
It makes sense that this Link- sorry, PizzaJoe. He would be screwed up. He was a kid, but ended up being forced through an awful lot of poo poo. Seeing the world crumble, all sorts. That wouldn't lead to a healthy psyche.

But I'm looking forward to this. Majora's Mask was easily my favorite Zelda of all time.

And Wind Waker as well, my second favorite Zelda of all time? This is going to be a great thread.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

frozentreasure posted:

And I guess you're not doing HD?

Neither of us have the game or the Wii U. Consider this something to get anyone who doesn't either hyped for it. (It might also be subject to the three-month blacklist.)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Oh cool. My roommate has an N64, so I just 100% Majora's mask about a month ago.

Looking forward to your archery skills.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
You said you want a replica of the mask? I saw this the other day! The detail on the back is especially cool.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
This game always seemed really cool but I was never able to get into it when I played it myself. Looking forward to seeing the many faces of Link.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Good to see another LP from you guys. Majora's mask is a good game to do, as there's plenty of fodder to keep the commentary on the game itself.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

PizzaJoe's got 72 hours. A lot can happen in 72 hours...

Bugging into Termina Field, for example.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The Majora's Mask manga (in which Link, after becoming human, clears all four dungeons AND that sidequest in a single cycle, so canon Link is TAS as gently caress) has an origin story for Majora's Mask. It's not the actual origin, it was just something that the author came up with after seeing the first trailer for the game. It's in the manga (after the actual MM story, as a side story), though, so I guess it's officially sanctioned by Nintendo?

My copy of it's at the bottom of a large box of books right now and I don't feel like pulling it out to check, but the Internet exists, so, to summarise:

Some ten million years ago, a giant, ferocious beast lives alone in a veritable wasteland. One day, a human warrior comes walking along and stops to rest in front of the beast. The beast tells him of a legend concocted by humans, where the person who can steal the beast's armour will have their wishes granted (on one page it says you get your wishes granted, on the next it says you gain "a great and terrible power"). Hundreds upon thousands of humans tried to take the beast's armour and were devoured.

After telling the story, the beast offers to grant the warrior's wish. Don't know if it's a trick or not, because the warrior says he has no wish. Instead, the warrior came to the land (described as "not moving, but not dead, either…but had not necessarily stopped…") because he had heard of the "man-eater" and wondered how alone the beast was. In spite of having eaten everyone, the beast is neither able to vanish from the world or actually live in it. The beast confides in the warrior that he is tired of living alone (read: living).

As he speaks, the desires of the people he has eaten form a whirlpool inside of him that forms his first wish (read the page if you don't get that, it barely makes sense there, either) and he demands that the warrior make time move for him again. Warrior pulls out a drum he'd been carrying with him and starts playing a rhythm. As the beast dances, time begins to move again. For three days and three nights, the warrior plays and the beast dances. At the fourth day, the beast dies, leaving only his armour. Warrior, in his infinite wisdom, decides to cut a piece of the armour off and turn it into a mask.

"Your power has been firmly sealed into this mask. Your power will no longer be a menace. I hope you sleep forever."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I can't fault the author(s) for originality. Certainly feels like one of those old myths and legends from the BCEs.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Oh hell yes, MM is one of my favorite games of all time. Easily the best 3D Zelda.

One thing great about the game is its sound design. If you listen to the latest video, the music grows faster and more panicked each day in Clock Town. Day three is especially unsettling, with the harmony clashing with the melody helping to build a feeling of impending doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kXVfqPrLs

unfair posted:

You said you want a replica of the mask? I saw this the other day! The detail on the back is especially cool.

This is great.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's been a long time since I've played MM, my favorite Zelda game of all time, looking forward to this.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
If there was one thing that made me hate Majora's Mask it was LPing it.

Good luck.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone on Deviantart actually made a wooden replica of Majora's mask.
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Majora-s-Mask-Wooden-Replica-396935306
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Majora-s-Mask-Wooden-Replica-397803767

It looks amazing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mico posted:

If there was one thing that made me hate Majora's Mask it was LPing it.

Good luck.

I remember that. Having recorded the main game already, I managed to avoid it. Luckily the dungeons and what-have-you aren't one of the main reasons I love the game, as I'll go into more down the line.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So this is like the fifteenth LP of this game? Anyways, you want cool stuff regarding this game from elsewhere on the internet? I can do that. It's a remix of a few of the songs from the game and it's actually really good.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Now that I'm human again, I can do a multitude of nifty things before heading off to Woodfall. These include dancing and exploding.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You don't have to do the Bombers' hide and seek game again - if you remember the combination from the first cycle, you can just give it to the kid guarding the path to the observatory. If you're human, he assumes you're already a member of the Bombers and gives you the notebook - and I believe it's still filled in with the Bombers' quest and combination.

It's also not the front of the shield that guards against explosions, but the back of the shield. If you're facing a bomb with your shield up, you'll still take damage, but if you face away from it and raise your shield, it won't hurt you. That's why raising the shield and detonating the Blast Mask doesn't hurt you, although I have no idea why it works that way.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

PizzaJoe can't swim, but he can sneak.

Wind Waker might have happened by now, but Yoshi can't be depended on for anything.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

To me, it always sounded like the turtles were saying "nad-grab". It's painful enough just to get hit by those spikes.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
One thing that I like to keep in mind with this game is that the deku mask doesn't turn you into a deku, in turns you into that deku scrub.

The scrub who was cursed to give you your mask was a child, even more so than Link. I think that's why the guards let you back in. You're the equivalent of a 5 year old kid, what harm can you really do? :v:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Gensuki posted:

One thing that I like to keep in mind with this game is that the deku mask doesn't turn you into a deku, in turns you into that deku scrub.

The scrub who was cursed to give you your mask was a child, even more so than Link. I think that's why the guards let you back in. You're the equivalent of a 5 year old kid, what harm can you really do? :v:

Considering he's weaponized bubbles, quite a lot actually.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Gensuki posted:

Yeah honestly murdering a child and then welding his face to your face is pretty... out there... for any media, especially anything made by Nintendo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A jargogle posted:

Yeah honestly murdering a child and then welding his face to your face is pretty... out there... for any media, especially anything made by Nintendo.
To be fair, PizzaJoe was not the one who did the murdering.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a sort of thing tjat wouldnt be too out there for old fairy/folk tales.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I personally hear 'Aflac' from the turtles, but my hearing is weird.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Drakenel posted:

That's what I've always heard, too.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Drakenel posted:

I admit, that's probably how I would hear them had I ever heard of Aflac before playing this game the first time. I didn't hear of Aflac until I'd finished college, I think, by which time I was already way too familiar with my own mondegreen.

Diogenes Bub
Jun 21, 2013
Oh man, I am looking forward to this.
Thorn I am right there with you - Majora's Mask is also my favourite game of all time. I have a special place in my heart for Ocarina of Time, it was my first Zelda, but this one has so much more depth and subtext upon replaying.

Legend of Sploooosh(also Zelda) is great too. The animated style makes it look great even today and I love Link's facial expressions.

In addendum,
(vaguely french) Splooooooooooooosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

• Locked thread