Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Taint Reaper posted:

How can she fly a dragon with one eye? They don't even let people fly planes with one eye, even if they have a co-pilot. And dragons are just giant retarded dogs to begin with that can kill you.

Also that dude with the fauxhawk looks like he's eager to do your tech support at geek Squad.

Well, I imagine the dragon does a pretty decent job of not crashing into things to start off with. And I'm pretty sure if any sort of regulatory body tried to tell her not to fly....well, you can imagine how that would go over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I'm glad you are here to translate this stuff :allears:

Aw, thanks! I'm happy if people are enjoying my translations. Given that Drakengard 3 has shaped up to be so weird, it's been fun.
I just want to stress that I haven't been exaggerating anything, be it the dialogue, weapon stories and especially not the short stories. If anything I've been toning them down a little...

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also that dude with the fauxhawk looks like he's eager to do your tech support at geek Squad.

I get the feeling customer service would be right up Decad's alley! He'd probably really enjoy getting verbally abused over the phone.

Speaking of, I think this fan artist got Four's "God you disgust me Decad" face down pat:

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Cent's short story is out: http://kho-dazat.tumblr.com/post/69085814644/the-jewel-in-the-palm-of-my-hand-are-you-okay

It's... normal. Cheery, even! Which strangely made it the hardest one to read. It'd be easier if one of them secretly hated each other, but nah. They're just blissfully in love.
I hope everyone looking forward to destroying their happiness, classic Cavia style!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Those two are acting like it's bizarro Drakengard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

How can she fly a dragon with one eye? They don't even let people fly planes with one eye, even if they have a co-pilot. And dragons are just giant retarded dogs to begin with that can kill you.

A far more relevant question than "why is there a loving flower growing out of her eye" or "flying a dragon".

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The reasons they have such strict vision requirements are about minimizing safety risks and getting the best use out of the most expensive military hardware out there, not because it's somehow impossible to operate an aircraft with impaired vision. Going into a melee with just one working eye seems like a much worse idea.

But you know, it's a video game. Losing one eye is about as much consequence as losing your little toe. Honestly it only counts as a bit silly when they go completely blind without even being slowed down by it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Obviously the flower is also a camera, or possibly a RADAR apparatus.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Obviously the flower is also a camera, or possibly a RADAR apparatus.

Clearly it is a radome, like Metal Gear.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Now I really want the Flower to be the ingame excuse for your minimap.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

dazat posted:

Cent's short story is out: http://kho-dazat.tumblr.com/post/69085814644/the-jewel-in-the-palm-of-my-hand-are-you-okay

It's... normal. Cheery, even! Which strangely made it the hardest one to read. It'd be easier if one of them secretly hated each other, but nah. They're just blissfully in love.
I hope everyone looking forward to destroying their happiness, classic Cavia style!

No, don't be so happy like that! Now it will be sad instead of ridiculous when they die horribly.

Actually, this being Drakengard, dieing horribly would probably be less tragic then whatever will happen to them... :(

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

dazat posted:

Two is a cannibal

Her foster children are just carefully raised gourmet human veal for her culinary experiments.

Cent probably found out and could not accept it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

Gotta be Stockholm syndrome, or something. They seem too happy together...

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Famitsu scores for Drakengard 3 are out: http://gematsu.com/2013/12/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1306
It got a 9/9/8/8 (34/40). Back in 2010 they scored Nier 10/8/8/8, which funnily enough culminated in the same (34/40) overall score.
For further reference, the original Drakengard received a (29/40) and Drakengard 2 a (30/40).

Famitsu is apparently known for having a bias toward Square-Enix title, but this is still heartening news; hopefully we can expect it to be at least on the level of Nier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dazat posted:

Famitsu scores for Drakengard 3 are out: http://gematsu.com/2013/12/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1306
It got a 9/9/8/8 (34/40). Back in 2010 they scored Nier 10/8/8/8, which funnily enough culminated in the same (34/40) overall score.
For further reference, the original Drakengard received a (29/40) and Drakengard 2 a (30/40).

Famitsu is apparently known for having a bias toward Square-Enix title, but this is still heartening news; hopefully we can expect it to be at least on the level of Nier.

Ever since Nintendogs and more recently FFXIII-2 getting perfect scores I can't trust Famitsu to grade anything.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Ever since Nintendogs and more recently FFXIII-2 getting perfect scores I can't trust Famitsu to grade anything.

Final Fantasy aside, what'chu got against Nintendogs? I'd give a game where I get to pet puppies all day a perfect score, too!

Other new tidbits:
* Fans of the original series or Nier will be quite pleased with the improvements this makes to gameplay.
* there's an option to turn off the blood splatter effect that usually fills the screen in combat.
* You can freely switch between ground and air battles with Mikhail; air battles feel more like a shooting game.
* The freedom of the battleground with the high-speed nature of battles keeps the game interesting and fun!

dazat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 11, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Is this going to be for sale on jp PSN next week?

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Another track from the soundtrack has been released, again with Emi Evans as a vocalist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKwc8y59Qc
If the last track sounded more like the original Drakengard, this one sounds more like Nier.

Also some new screenshots of Zero farming items on side-quests: http://www.the-magicbox.com/1312/game131205b.shtml

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
http://rologeass.tumblr.com/post/69747638607/some-dod3-related-pages-from-dengeki-556-the

Some bits translated from a Dengeki review. It sounds really promising.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I translated the Dengeki reviews in full:

Reviewer: Masan
Score: 100
"Drakengard-style Storyline + Great Gameplay = Full Marks!"
Unlike previous titles in the series which could be frustrating and difficult, both the on ground and in air battles in Drakengard 3 play like a dream. It's a lot of fun cutting through huge swathes of enemies utilizing the combo/weapon system. There is a lot of new content and secrets that will keep you engaged through multiple play throughs. The difficulty level is challenging but not cheap (old time Drakengard fans will be pleased to know that the archers aren't half as annoying). The highly touted story may be the best of the whole series. Beyond the expected madness and tragedy, I appreciated the heaping of black humor which kept me laughing. And in Drakengard tradition, you'll find the relationship between the main character and her dragon will bring tears to your eyes. The camera takes some getting used to, and while the game might not be for everyone, I had so much fun with it I played through it all in one sitting. In particular, the ending it a must-see; it will make players shriek! So I'm giving Drakengard 3 a perfect score!

Reviewer: Deep
Score: 90
"This Game is Absolutely Insane… Which is What Makes It Stand Out!"
This game was made for a very specific sub-set of gamers. The characters are unique but very crazy, such as the masochistic warrior and the lustful old man. People who do not enjoy crude humor and who are sensitive may not like this game, and truthfully, I cannot recommend it to a general audience. But to people who enjoy games from off the beaten path, Drakengard 3 is a must buy! The well-developed setting and deep story have a distinct feel and a lively tempo which really reels you in. Outside of cutscenes, the stages themselves are jam-packed with dialogue that further develops the plot. In particular, the end sections of the game are amazing. In regards to the gameplay, the camera is pretty unfortunate, but that's the only flaw I can think of. Otherwise, it's a very fun action game.

Reviewer: Nandemo Yuuko
Score: 85
"Painful! Dark! Gruesome! …In A Good Way!"
While the characters may look attractive, their personalities are anything but! While the cruelness and crudeness of Drakengard 3 may put off some players, I couldn't help but get wrapped up in the story, and I imagine most people will end up plugging in hours non-stop because of how interesting the plot is. Among the characters, I particularly liked the proud, defiant heroine Zero who looks like a woman but acts like a man. Also, the relationship between her and her dragon Mikhail was really touching. Battles move at a quick pace and it's fun performing combos with your weapons. You cannot alter the difficulty setting, but it's possible to level up Zero and her weapons via side quests.

Reviewer: Sao
Score: 95
"The Action is Speedy and Fun, and the Crazy Storyline Delivers!"
Drakengard 3 is the latest installment of the cult classic Drakengard series which, even after ten years, commands a passionate fan base. While the original game was known for its dark and crazy story, it was also known for having some pretty lackluster gameplay. Drakengard 3 fixes this by being a legitimately fun action game. Fights with large groups of enemies are designed to be speedy, and weapon swapping is quite seamless. The stages can take some time to load, but not enough to distract too much from the game as a whole. As you progress, the difficulty level increases, and you'll soon find button mashing will get you nowhere. You cannot alter the difficulty setting, but the game increases Zero's strength slightly every time you continue in a surprising act of mercy. Drakengard 3 stands head to head with its predecessor in terms of being crazy; it may be even crazier, in fact. The intense story will pull you in and command your attention from the opening movie, and it's easy to lose track of the time playing as you'll be dying to know what happens next. The characters talk non-stop throughout the stages and the soundtrack is a masterpiece, so play with the volume turned up. The game is bound to be polarizing, just like the original Drakengard, but it is sure to attract its own fervent fans. I personally give it my seal of approval!

...there's also a review on the Dengeki website written by the guy who shows up on all the Nico Nico broadcasts which is more in-depth and from the perspective of a huge Drakengard fan which I might summarize later. Also, Mikhail's short story was posted which I'll also translate a little later.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

dazat posted:

Reviewer: Masan
...I had so much fun with it I played through it all in one sitting.

Wait, wasn't it supposed to be 40 hours long?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Again, thanks for translating allt this. I honestly can't wait. Has there been any word of a western release date?

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Follow-up review from the Dengeki website:

quote:

As a long time fan of the series, the reviewer thought he couldn't be too surprised by whatever the story had to throw at him but he was wrong. He says he thinks players will be taken off balance right from the start; less than a minute in and he was gaping. From that point on, the story just keeps twisting and turning, and he says he understands the reason why the staff has been so tight-lipped about the plot details. He strongly advises avoiding spoilers since they'll ruin the game.

That said, he feels the story will be polarizing even amongst fans. The game is very different and shakes off a lot of the trappings of the series and he thinks some fans may not think it 'Drakengard-y' enough. However, he thinks most will still be drawn in by the strong plot. He calls it an emotional roller coaster and says it may be the most bleak and despairing of all of the games. Old fans should expect more of the same kind of shocks they got after seeing the infamous Ending E of the original.

In particular, he thinks the ending will leave a strong impression. Whether it's happy or sad will depend on the individual viewer. Personally he was satisfied with it, calling it a 'catharsis' of all the madness in the series and that it is very Yoko Taro-esque. Despite the director saying otherwise, the reviewer thinks he really was thinking of the fans when making this game.

Highlights include Zero's unwavering strength of will and the pureness of Mikhail who supports her. Their relationship is touching in a way different from Caim and Angelus. In general all the characters are likable, despite their extreme and twisted personalities. In particular, he says to look out for the exchanges between **** and ** (names purposefully blanked out) as they are the best example of how insane the writers are.

In regards to how sexually explicit the game is, he says that while the implications are definitely there, it's not nearly as bad as people are thinking. He does go on to say that this is from his POV as a male player, and that female players may think differently.

He also talks about the gameplay a little but it's about the same what's already been stated: same basic gameplay as Drakengard and Nier but with better controls and more emphasis on speed. He also mentioned he often almost got killed in battle because he was too distracted listening to all the banter going back and forth between the party members.

dazat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 12, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Completely off-topic, but are gender roles from 50s still alive and well in Japan or is it just their gaming journalism? Of course I wasn't born anywhere near then, but because of cultural memory I'm feeling weird nostalgia from someone casually reminding to shield women from sexually suggestive material.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

BioMe posted:

Completely off-topic, but are gender roles from 50s still alive and well in Japan or is it just their gaming journalism? Of course I wasn't born anywhere near then, but because of cultural memory I'm feeling weird nostalgia from someone casually reminding to shield women from sexually suggestive material.

I'm not exactly an expert or anything, and someone who is actually Japanese could probably answer you better, but from the perspective of an outsider who looks in a whole bunch, it sure consistently seems to be that way, and lots of people have noted the same.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

dazat posted:

He calls it an emotional roller coaster and says it may be the most bleak and despairing of all of the games. Old fans should expect more of the same kind of shocks they got after seeing the infamous Ending E of the original.

I have never been so hyped for a story that promises dark despair before :dance:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
This time, the game use geo localisation to see where you live and make the final battle happens in your neighborhood!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This looks really, really good. I never played Nier, but might be interested in the LP of that and the other Drakengard games. What order should I read them in?

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?

The Shortest Path posted:

This looks really, really good. I never played Nier, but might be interested in the LP of that and the other Drakengard games. What order should I read them in?

Drakengard 1 and then Nier, I'd say. Nier is even worth playing for yourself if you can get your hands on a copy, but The Dark Id's LP is excellent too.

Drakengard 2 I would say is an optional read. It's a lot more mediocre as opposed to balls-out crazy like Drakengard 1.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

victorisham posted:

Drakengard 1 and then Nier, I'd say. Nier is even worth playing for yourself if you can get your hands on a copy, but The Dark Id's LP is excellent too.

Drakengard 2 I would say is an optional read. It's a lot more mediocre as opposed to balls-out crazy like Drakengard 1.

Drakengard 2 is worth it for Caim alone. At the least, it's worth reading the LP of it. And its entertainingly stupid at points as well.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks. I've been meaning to buy the archives upgrade on here for a while and that is probably the excuse for doing it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Save yourself the cash and go to LParchive.org.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Shortest Path posted:

Thanks. I've been meaning to buy the archives upgrade on here for a while and that is probably the excuse for doing it.

You can read them for free on SA's LP Archive.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BioMe posted:

It's not quite 1950s bad (women can hold prominent professional workforce positions for one) but there's definitely a lot of casual misogyny in regards to how the media depicts women.

Remember, this is the country where maid cafes and hostess bars are a thing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The reviewers going "Previous titles had super lovely gameplay but this is actually fun!" make me suspicious of shenanigans, they're too self aware for a biased account but at the same time the idea of Drakengard being better than mediocre in terms of gameplay is mind-boggling.

I have no idea how to interpret them saying the story will shock and surprise people on the level of Ending E though. Having tons of banter in the middle of the action like Nier's is fantastic news though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TK-31 posted:

The reviewers going "Previous titles had super lovely gameplay but this is actually fun!" make me suspicious of shenanigans, they're too self aware for a biased account but at the same time the idea of Drakengard being better than mediocre in terms of gameplay is mind-boggling.

I have no idea how to interpret them saying the story will shock and surprise people on the level of Ending E though. Having tons of banter in the middle of the action like Nier's is fantastic news though.

Made me think the opposite, really. If this was just a shill, I'd think they'd call the old games good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nier is totally worth playing yourself but definitely just read Dark Id's LPs for the first two Drakengards so you don't have to deal with the sloggy combat and Ending E of the first game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Nier is totally worth playing yourself but definitely just read Dark Id's LPs for the first two Drakengards so you don't have to deal with the sloggy combat and Ending E of the first game.

Nier's gameplay is legitimately decent, but it's the atmosphere and the way the game tells the story that just doesn't come across properly in an LP (sorry, The Dark Id, I know you did your best.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, pretty much all the assets worth viewing in Original Drakengard (cutscenes, voices, totally ballsout insane music) are included in The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard so go watch that instead. I didn't actually regret playing Drakengard back in the day, though.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Mokinokaro posted:

Nier's gameplay is legitimately decent, but it's the atmosphere and the way the game tells the story that just doesn't come across properly in an LP (sorry, The Dark Id, I know you did your best.)

Ugh nier new game plus is probably the saddest loving thing on the planet. If you haven't played nier, go get it and play it through at least twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

TK-31 posted:

It's funny, even Taro Yoko came out recently talking about how bad the gameplay in Drakengard was, especially the aerial missions. It's been 10 years, I don't think they feel the need to mince words anymore; it's more important they recognize the reputation the series has and really push the idea that Drakengard 3 is NOT like its predecessors in that department.

BioMe posted:

Ya know, I might sort of understand what the reviewer could be getting at, in that I think a lot of male players are so completely desensitized to video games and the female characters in them being ridiculously oversexed that maybe something that doesn't strike them as too over the top might seem considerably more uncomfortable from a woman's POV. That said though, yeah, Japan is pretty sexist; I also remember reading somewhere that Taro Yoko had to fight really hard to get Square-Enix to OK a female main character, and then again for them to OK the whole flower in the eye aspect of her design.

Will have Mikhail's story up in a bit! It's... super cute! :3:

• Locked thread