Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some music for you all:

The two other songs from the Drakengard 3 website.
Unknown Ambient Theme (Very Nier-esque)
Unknown Battle Theme (Vocals kick in at 2 mins)

And Growing Wings - Drakengard 3 Version.

Man, I've not changed my avatar in years, but that's a tempting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

I really want to buy this game without awaiting a single in-depth review and the youtube videos look interesting enough...

...but yeah, I'ma wait to see more folks' opinions on this. I loved Nier and enjoyed reading the Drakengard LP right around when I played Nier but the two videos I've watched and the general hush around the game haven't sold me on it just yet.

I only have anecdotal info so far, but one of my co-workers has a wife that absolutely adored Nier, and she hated the Japanese Drakengard 3. I'm not expecting a good game from this.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Having played a few hours now and fought the first intoner, I'll definitely say this game is odd. I'm oddly reminded of playing Ninety Nine Nights 2 in some ways, for those of you who ever touched that game. I'll definitely say though that, of all the things I expected to see in this game, EDF-style soldier chatter was not one of them.

Quick localization question for those of you with the Japanese version. After the fight with the first intoner, did the Japanese version cut away to some "inappropriate for everyone" dialogs during both the initial murder and post-corpse bashing of the dead Intoner? I couldn't figure out if this was intentional meta humor or a localization change.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Wait, if it shipped in Japan like in NA, how did that video get out?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I am broken. I'm enjoying Drakengard 3 more than Transistor. What's wrong with me.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

straight jerkers posted:

I haven't had any problems with the audio. Do you have 5.1 enabled in your PS3 settings w/o actually having a surround setup?

The game does have some fairly bad audio issues. I run a 5.1 speaker system and the audio was completely unbalanced between gameplay and cutscenes; I had to force my PS3 to start outputting in stereo to resolve the issue.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Transistor is pretty short, you can burn through it in a few hours and then when you're all melancholy, come back to the warm, comforting embrace of Drakengard.

And honestly I think Drakengard may have a better combat system.

As for weapons in this, how are the combos for a weapon determined? Does each particular weapon have its own variant combo or finisher, or is it determined by the weight of the weapon?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So what are generally considered the best songs from the Drakengard 1 and 2 soundtrack?

Cerulily posted:

I actually found spears to be my go-to weapon of choice, i found bracers tended to just stick me in one spot and be vulnerable for too long.

Care to enlighten me?

If you take a light bracer, like say the Ice Gauntlets, the stamina attack is an infinite hit combo that will pump out more DPS than most other weapons (at least through the first ending).

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 28, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

drat, I needs the moneys for Branch D. I still have so many weapons to buy. And they're all expensive!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

gently caress that last note of the Final Song. gently caress it hard. :mad:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

I've reached the Final Verse. And without the timing video, I can't even get past the third note. :shepicide:

With the timing video, I can at least make it to Five's segment. Gonna need some more practice, but I'm gonna get this done. I'm really, really gonna get this done!

Just... not tonight.

Can you link the timing video? I can regularly get to the final segment, but gently caress that section where it fades to black.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, even by Drakengard standards Elf-rapist is a terrible character. If all elves are anything like him Four was right to blow them out of the sky.

I kinda get the impression that the intoner 5 were actually a net positive on the world, minus a few mistakes here and there (Two). I've not finished all of the DLC yet however, so I may be completely off base.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So, question for those that have finished both Nier and Drakengard 3. Are Devola and Popola recorders like the one in Drakengard 3? I think they may even have the same voice actress. And if so, what does this imply?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

"Ultimately twisted, dark battle action"? Yeah, that sounds like a Yoko Taro gig.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

Oh man, last boss time. Years from my awkward DDR phase have prepared me for this.

I want to say, I appreciate how surprisingly well-designed the Final Song is as a rhythm game. It actively encourages you to play with your ears (and slaps you over the head and forces you to start over if you don't), and if you pay attention to the music then timing the button presses is pretty easy. I managed to get all the way to One on my first try (she threw like a weird off-beat note that completely hosed me up), and since then I've gotten to the bit with all six of them dancing around singing consistently. A few notes near the end are still tripping me up, though. It's not like the first game that seemed purely visual, though. Having actual audio cues for this kinda thing goes a long way.

For the faster notes, listening to the drums helps me. They seem to kinda beat with the eighth-notes.

I'm glad that I finally seem to be getting an ending where Mikhail doesn't just get destroyed, though. Poor little dude, he tries so hard. :(

he totally still gets owned doesn't he

I'd generally agree with this, except for the last 15 seconds.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH A SEQUEL TO NIER WAS ANNOUNCED AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHJKWc7rfM

:circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Postal Parcel posted:

I'm not sure which is more surprising, FF7 remake being a reality or Nier 2, a game that required a contractpact with the devil to make happen

Nier 2 for sure. FF7's only restriction was the cost of the remake, but it's a guaranteed best seller.

• Locked thread