Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Dark Id posted:

Hey I know this is a thing. Yes I will LP it at some point. Probably quite shortly after its release. Stop telling/asking me. STOP! I KNOW! I loving KNOW!!!!

It's gonna be okay ma-...I can't even say it. It's Taro Yoko. Nothing is going to be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cloche posted:

I'm surprised that Inuart has so few votes, comparatively. He's, uh... pretty bad. Pretty bad.

:lol:

Inuart IS pretty bad but he's kind of ignorably bad. Verdelet, Manah, and Nowe are unignorably bad in a way where they are constantly loving poo poo up and making you go GOD drat IT VERDELET/MANAH/NOWE.

Whereas with Inuart it's just kind of a "Son I am so disappointed in every single one of your life choices" reaction.

dazat posted:

Interesting fact: Leonard, Seere and Arioch's characters and storyline were personally all penned by Yoko Taro! Caim and Angelus' story was written by someone else. In interviews he keeps saying he doesn't understand why they're so popular, why all the fans keep calling Angelus 'the true heroine' instead of Furiae, or why so many people think of them as a couple... including the Drakengard 2 scripwriter, who wrote their death scene inspired by Romeo and Juliet

That...kind of leaves me with less respect for Yoko Taro. As a writer, you have to be pretty clueless to not really understand how that stuff is coming across how it does :psyduck:

Also am I correct in reading from that that he thinks Furiae is a heroine in any capacity? Because I struggle to think of a way to interpret her as such.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 18, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

From what I remember he wrote her to be the "heroine" but also to be unlikable.

It's just that I can't think of her actually DOING anything to qualify as a heroine. She gets kidnapped a bunch then she kills herself because she can't jump her brothers bone, thereby causing the end of the world. Heroic!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

"Heroine" doesn't always mean "heroic" in anime/manga/video games over in Japan. It can just mean "major female character on the protagonist's side who likes him" with a main male character or "the protagonist" with a main female character. There doesn't even need to be any heroic actions happening in the story at all, it's just a common term for some reason.

Ah. So basically the phrase they're looking for is "female lead".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dazat posted:

The worst was when he was trying to analyze the reason female fans like Caim x Angelus and came up with the theory that "Oh, they're attracted to the notion that if a monstrous dragon can earn the love of a hot guy, so can they!" :rolleyes: Everyone else in interview was like "Uuuugh no you don't get it".

Yeah, I think Furiae was supposed to be a commentary on the typical RPG heroine who is mostly very passive and only defined by her feelings for the hero. Which still technically makes her the 'heroine'.

It sounds like Taro is good at playing with narrative conventions but doesn't really get characters/people on any kind of detail level.

Failed heroine/commentary upon the traditional heroine makes plenty of sense at least, though I'd argue the phrasing it's ultimately semantics.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

At this point my fear is that Zero is going to be such a monster as to be unlikeable. Caim really hit the sweet spot of sociopathic monster but still likeable because the world was so much worse than he was.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cloche posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking after watching that video Genocyber posted. Despite being a bloodthirsty mad dog Caim really worked because the antagonists and supporting cast alike were either disgusting monsters or frustrating incompetents. Most of Zero's sister's seem either pretty cool, or funny, or whatever. Definitely not hitting the same notes as Inuart/Verdelet/etc. I get the feeling that some of the violence against them is going to be hard for a weenie-baby like me to stomach.

I'm guessing her relationship with Mikhail is going to be a humanizing factor at the very least because dat fukkin dragon. :3:

Pretty much. When the sociopathy of someone like Caim no longer feels warranted, the game threatens to become just sort of unpleasant/revolting to play or even watch.

Hopefully that won't be the case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dazat posted:

Misc. Factoids
There's a section listing mundane things about the main cast. They are:
Caim: Can sleep with his eyes open.

I like to think this scared the poo poo out of Manah when he was taking her around on the Punishment Parade.

I want to try to run but what if he's not actually asleep? What the gently caress then?

• Locked thread