Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And when he says the companions seems saner, one is an anime pretty boy that looks like a normal j-rpg hero, yet is a sadist, another one seems to have a masochistic streak large enough to look like he has sewed a zipper on his stomach. And an old man that's apparently the horniest of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

This time, the game use geo localisation to see where you live and make the final battle happens in your neighborhood!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

That flower growing out of Zero's eye is a lot more unnerving in motion.

Yeah, of all the things in that game, it would be what creep me out the most. Flowers do not belong here. :stare:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Oh what the gently caress. Just... what the gently caress? There was some of you jokers who called it, even. I just realized something: In the images, the city is ruined and covered in white stuff. Does that means it takes places in Nier's universe? Possibly after the game is over? Which means that this world get hosed the same way again?

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 19, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I think there was fanart of this in TDI's Let's Play, with the caption "You shits have no idea of the price I had to pay".

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

dazat posted:

You're right, according to the drama CD Tyrann himself was a corrupt soldier who due to his shenanigans was kicked out of the military and forbidden from registering for the whole Gestalt/Replicant thing. He cheated his way in anyway and got made into a Gestalt, but the officials realized and responded by destroying his Replicant, which is why he possesses people as a shade. But in the 10th Anniversary Material book, the official timeline links all three games together; so basically modern Tokyo is not another dimension but rather the distant future from Caim and Angelus' standpoint. Basically history as we know it takes a detour in the middle ages starting with the events of Drakengard 3 but gets back on track after Nowe demolishes the Goddess system in Drakengard 2. That's why it makes sense that Tyrann should have an ancestor dating back to medieval times.

Still pretty crazy, but I hope that cleared things up.

Every time I think those games can't be more complicated and farfetched, Yoko Taro delivers. :allears:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Gameplay is... well, actually pretty decent. Nothing really outstanding, but it does the job well. The plot, writing and voice acting are mostly top notch. The only real glaring flaw is that the game's sidequests are of the Cavia School of gently caress You And All You Stand For (tm). Don't do a sidequest if it feels like a pain in the rear end, it probably is.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I think Iceclaw was actually talking about Nier

gently caress it, yeah, sorry, I misread your post as talking about Nier. My apologies. :doh:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Am I alone in finding this timeline pretty ridiculous, even for Cavia? I mean, a neat thing in Nier was that our world was basically hosed because it was brutally exposed to Drakengard's world's magic. Now it turns out to be one and the same, except magic was apparently a thing for a while, and that, despte the complete destruction of Europe in the eleventh century, history is back on track by 2003. Couldn't they just leave it "it's a parallele world"? :sigh:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

The credit song, maybe?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, a good thing they did is that they discarded all pretense that Nowe and Manah are anything but... well, not exactly villains, but doing the worst thing they could do in their life in Drakengard 2. Write them as colossal tools but willing to atone and they get a lot more sympathetic.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Voicing Caim sure must have been the role of a lifetime :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

err, what are those things happening during and after Nier? Books?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That's it, apparently. Brother One goes on to creates what is later known as the Cult of the Watchers, and that only happens in ending A, so it's the olny one that can lead to Drakengard 1.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, yeah, except there is a bit in that novella where she admits when confronted by a victim that she doesn't really know why she kills, but she just does because that's the only thing she knows.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

BioMe posted:

EDIT: I mean a serial killer using prostitution to look for victims maybe, but of course it's gotta involve rape too.

Err, what? Did you even read it? She mentions becoming a brigand after running away from the brothel she was sold to, not using prostitution to lure victims. And I don't think she even mention being raped. She was caught by other brigands who tried to sell her back to a brothel before she murdered them all.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

BioMe posted:

No I didn't because it sounds loving terrible.

Oh, it's not great, though it does shed a bit of light over Zero's character, especially those aspects of her you seems to be overly riled about. And it's always a plus to actually know what you are talking about, instead of ranting about things that don't exist?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

And what is your point here? Don't read it if you are not interested or don't like the tone, but what is the problem with using it when talking about Zero when it's telling the story of her life? I can understand not liking that important things like how hosed up her life was before the game are barely mentioned in the game proper, but it's still as much as an official source as it gets. Oh, well, I'm done talking about that, though.

e: V Err, I'm not angry? Sorry if you thought so. And regarding the novela, it's a lot tamer than what you think it is. There are no details of anything really sordid. it's pretty dark, granted, but not overly so.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 30, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Monomythian posted:

Also now that I have finished this I can have a good bitch with everything wrong with this game.

The Flower making her immortal makes no sense because you die at 0 health??? If the only way to destroy the Flower is for a Dragon to consume it then why do Dragon Bone weapons kill Intoners?! Zero claims she needs a Dragon to kill her sisters and herself and yet murders the gently caress out of her sisters with her Dragon Bone Sword and then gets stabbed in the back with a Dragon Bone Dagger on Branch A end like a chump and dies anyway. Why couldn't she just have murdered her sisters with a Dragon Bone weapon and then stabbed herself? SHE NEVER NEEDED A DRAGON IN THE FIRST PLACE ARGHH

Having alternate branches be cannon is really terrible and Accord is a lovely character. They should have been cut, Brother One, Ending A, and Ones dlc should have been cut. Branches should have been cut entirely, leaving the entire plot as one linear narrative would have been a great service to game and its review scores. Having Micheal be needed to explicitly eat the Intoners/Flower would have made more sense and be more interesting. The game attempted to convey this a few times but Dragon Bone Weapons killing what are suppose to be immortal Intoners is a massive plot hole.

Regarding your first point, why does she needs a dragon to kill herself? Because trying to off herself would lead to the final boss of branch D: The Flower steps in to prevent it.
I guess your mileage vary regarding Accord. It's not like having multiple dimensions is a novel idea in video games. Finally, Michael does not need to eat the Intoners, he's just led to, because Dragons pretty much instinctly oppose what the Flower is, as seen in both previous games.

However, I agree that dying at 0 life might be a gampleplay mechanic, it contradicts the story. Maybe they should have gone with a Soul Reaver or Dark Souls things of respawning somewhere else with replenished ennemies.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Momomo posted:

Her getting killed by a dragon is a bit arbitrary, but I don't feel like they contradicted it (in the story at least, not in gameplay). In Ending A she's killed by One's brother using her own sword, which is made from a dragon's tooth and counts. The reason she can't kill herself is because the flower intervenes and doesn't let her.

The parts I'm not really sure about are One's brother not being shown at all in the other paths (what does he end up doing? does he just abandon his entire purpose for existing?) and why things happened differently at all. Why did Zero even turn into the giant flower thing, the circumstances aren't any different from Ending B except Mikail is alive (and can thus fight back).

I guess she didn't turn in Branch B because she only does so if the flower feels she's going to try to kill herself. She didn't, because she knew that with Mikhail dead, it would just doom the world, and so the Flower let her be.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Seriously? Oh god, does Taro Yoko ever relent in his nihilism? Do you have a link to a translation, by the way?
e: V It's actually... Not that bad? I mean he mentions coming accross humans and never gives up on trying to make the world a better place, before passing away of old age, which is probably a first in this world?. Thanks for the link, anyway.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

What makes you think that that's a death from old age? It looks pretty much like he's just been brutally injured, considering the weather is "Fire", and he describes his body as broken. It doesn't seem like a peaceful death at all!

So, as before, Taro Yoko.

Because he mentions holes in his memory and not needing to fight nowaday?

• Locked thread