Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Taro Yoko is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Taro Yoko is literally a monster.

That locker was too good for him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I could see Steve Blum as Mikhail.

Not to turn this into a Nier reunion tour, but I am partial to the idea of Laura Bailey as Zero. I also hear Decad in my head as Jamieson Price so there's that too.

Does R Bruce Elliot do video games? I could see him doing a pretty decent Octa and can't think of any other really good Old Man voices.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Overbite posted:

I dunno. I think Laura Bailey is a good voice actress but I don't care for her "bad girl" voice. It sounds too forced.
I think she's got the chops. She's also got some pretty good range. What actually convinced me she'd be a good fit was Zero's little scene with Four the first time around where she pretended to have a split personality. I could easily hear Laura Bailey shifting back and forth from her Kaine to her Virtue's Last Reward Luna for that. Or something like that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCIU0nnoa7I

:unsmith:

FAKE EDIT: I would not advise poking around this dude's channel.

REAL EDIT: Herp, didn't think this was linked already.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 21, 2013

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A video link and some Ending D spoilers.

For those of us who already hated rhythm games without Taro Yoko's help, some brave soul has "Transcribed" the entire final battle with a little scrolling note meter that shows you exactly when to hit those pesky beats. Presumably if you synced up the video to the game you could clear the whole thing looking only at the video.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22521118

Only those without shame or rhythm need apply.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

And the director appears to be in what must have been a frequent afterschool haunt of his.
If I'm remembering this correctly, the original Drakengard's Ending E incurred such a fierce Internet backdraft on 2chan and the like that Taro Yoko hid himself in a locker over the weekend and waited for it to blow over.

With Drakengard 3 he's probably made enough to get the place furnished and start living out of it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you thought we'd seen the last of Taro Yoko for awhile, think again.

Anime News Network, The Internet's Most Trusted Anime News Source posted:

The official Twitter account for Square Enix's Big Gangan magazine announced on Tuesday that Daisuke Moriyama and Tarō Yokō will collaborate on a new manga series titled Kimi Shi ni Tamafu Koto Nakare (You Must Not Give Yourself to Death) on December 25 in the January 2015 issue.

Moriyama will provide the art, and Yokō will write the story for the "ultimately twisted, dark battle-action" manga, and a prologue "Chapter 0" will be published in the September issue of the magazine, which is scheduled to be released on October 25. Chinatsu Kurahana (Uta no Prince Sama) is credited as designing the uniforms for the manga.

Daisuke Moriyama created the manga Chrono Crusade, and Gonzo adapted the series into a television anime in 2003. Funimation licensed and released the anime in North America. Moriyama's original manga is currently unlicensed in North America after the closure of ADV Manga.

Yokō is the director of the Drakengard (Drag-on Dragoon) series, and was also in charge of the game Nier. Drakengard 3 was released in Japan last December, and in May in North America and Europe.
Surely nothing ill could come of this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

And the mock Drakengard 4 characters;
Still holding out for this to be made, or something like it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It is on sale on the PSN for $20 as we speak.
Has the DLC ever gone on sale? I picked up Two's Prologue and enjoyed it, but $5 a pop feels a bit steep for content I feel should have honestly already been included in the core game.

Almost bit the bullet to get Three's cause I like Octa so much, but hers is apparently the least fun to play?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As someone with literally no sense of rhythm I am eternally grateful for the videos shared in this thread.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I did the whole thing starting at a synced youtube beat counter and still missed the last note.

:suicide:

Someday...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FINALLY.

I don't think I've ever been this relieved to have finally beaten a boss in my entire life.

"Thank you for playing!"

No Taro Yoko, thank YOU.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Don't mash. Be deliberate. Count 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 as they sing and then again in the exact same rhythm as you hit each note. The last note in an 8-chain is pretty much the beginning of your own chain, so chanting 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 should keep you well in time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

The best note was the last one right? If you don't know it's coming up, you'll miss it, but once you hear it the first time, you always know.
A bunch of times I thought it was the last note tripping me up when really it was the second-to-last. It's a testament to my utter lack of natural rhythm that I did the whole thing staring at a youtube beat counter and still took a hundred tries to clear it.

Little did I realize I was only paving the way for the true final boss of Drakengard 3: gold farming for the platinum. Probably gonna put the game on hold until Square throws another sale and I can pick up all the prologue DLC on the cheap because this is taking forever.

Genuinely looking forward to Taro Yoko's next game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Terra Battle has the same concept artist as Drakengard 3 if I recall.

There's even a dude who looks like Octa.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

When Sony announced the Last Guardian yesterday I was like "Oh yeah, I guess we were gonna get that someday," but this legitimately blew me away.

Taro Yoko. Platinum Games. Wow.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MrAptronym posted:

http://squareportal.net/2015/06/16/nier-new-project-high-quality-artwork-character-render/

I was posting in the LP that when she opens her eyes, there is a shutter sound, I bet she is an android. You can see a robot behind her in one of the shots. (well there was the one she is staring at, but this one looks active) and some interesting locals. Maybve they are going for that originally planned fairy tale theme?
Apparently someone in the LP thread translated the gibberish speak to "Doll Machine People." Assuming they're correct, the robot guess may not be far off.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I forgot who it was and was too lazy to check.

Thanks if it was you and sorry for not posting your name in BOLD CAPS with lights.

Seriously though, thanks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Canonically all replicants and gestalts are on the verge of extinction following the events of Nier, so it might be interesting if a big part of the plot is androids inheriting the Earth.

Personally though, I hope Nier himself is only ever alluded to and never directly mentioned. That would fit into every possible ending without bringing up explicitly whether it was Brother Nier or Father Nier.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Three Cookies posted:

Nier died with my save file, and thus should never be mentioned in any way.
I agree.

That's why I only want them to "Hint" at him. Nothing explicit, never by name. Just some half-remembered, vague inferences. They could just not mention him, but with other cast members returning as side characters this seems like the best option to me. Has it been so long they forgot, or was there nothing to remember in the first place? It works with either ending choice and skirts around the fact that any direct reference would likely be to Brother Nier and not Father Nier.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'll admit to accidentally dancing around spoilers once or twice but I don't know how you read this and think to yourself "Yes, this is safe to post."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

uh? Is there something I'm just not seeing? I don't see anything in particular in that screencap.
People asking about the final boss, the "Final Song," in a Drakengard prequel/sequel with implications of difficulty and/or dev trolling.

Even if I hadn't already played the game, my mind would have immediately leapt to the original Drakengard's final boss, to which Drakengard 3's final boss is a tribute.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MrAptronym posted:

They put forward a lot more info than I expected, also I had to laugh at Yoko saying the game will have a happy ending and the prodcer saying no, he has read the script and thinks not. Also that Yoko thinks Nier has a happy ending.
Nier did have a happy ending. :colbert:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They mentioned in another interview that Accord will be referenced, so probably not.

Yonah perhaps? Would be surprising if she lived that long.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As someone fond of the Dark Id's theory that Caim was resurrected as Red Eyes, that's always a possibility.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Red Eyes is supposed to be dead though, so I wouldn't assume it's him.
The big backstory document for Nier actually mentions he gets brought back for a bit, so another resurrection wouldn't be impossible.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Storm One posted:

So... how does one play the DLC prologues anyway?

I googled a bit and learned that they should unlock after completing branch A, which I have, but it's not anywhere in chapter select that I can see. I'm trying to avoid major spoilers so I haven't read through the whole thread, just CTRL-F'd the first page. If it matters, I bought and installed the DLC after having completed branch C.

Am I really that dense or is the procedure more convoluted than it needed to be? Am I being trolled by the :ghost: of cavia?
Keep going right.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Weird. That's where it should show up.

Try downloading and installing it again. The prologues popped up for me with minimal fuss so I'm not sure what you might'v done wrong.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mikhail dies in Ending A (and C), so no.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oh.

Probably, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I found it helped tremendously to count the beats out loud.

• Locked thread