Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: The weapon switch thing is pretty neat. If I'm hearing correctly, whenever Zero goes into berserk mode, vocals kick in for the music track. That's a pretty cool touch. Especially with the dynamic music they had for Nier.

From the same youtube channel as the person who uploaded the theme song:

Some sample music from the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alckVn1l-SQ

Definitely having a real Drakengard 2 vibe. That's not a bad thing.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

...But in fact I got a signed poster from a bunch of members from the team and a voucher for the NieR piano soundtrack.

That's pretty cool of them. :)

As for the quality of this upcoming game, if it's an utter trainwreck, it's going to be a glorious utter trainwreck, and if it's decent, then we get a decent game out of it; either way it's win-win for us. Characterwise, as long as it's not Drakgengard 2 it's gonna be okay, and gameplaywise, it just has to be on the same level as Nier - nothing groundbreaking, with none of the monotony of the orignal Drakengard.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Anatharon posted:

I plan on playing Nier because apparently it's a good game and one of those "Games as art games" (Which I like, Killer7 and Deus Ex are some of my favorite games ever) but should I make sure to play it before Drakengard 3? And should I play Drakengard 2 for that matter?

I don't want to look at any of the pre-release stuff incase there's spoilers for Nier/DG2.

Play Nier, and play it blind.

Drakengard 2 isn't bad mechanically. Storywise...it rather sucks. I'd say play it if you want fairly decent Dynasty Warriors-lite gameplay.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

I found nothing fun about mashing the same X combo over and over against hundreds upon hundreds of enemies, just to be rewarded with having to mash X against hundreds more enemies.

As I said, Dynasty Warriors. :v:

I'm not really sure what the genre term is. It plays better than Drakengard 1 at least. It tried to have more varied combos to weapons, gave the other player characters slightly more utility than just "win button", by giving them strengths and weakness against certain enemy types. And the camera and movement controls were better too.

Alright, it's shallow and mindless as gently caress, but compared to Drakengard 1's "X,X,X,X,X, triangle, X,X,X,X,X [ad infinitum]" it's fun enough in it's own way. Depends on your tolerance, I guess. :shobon:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

A Bystander posted:

No, there's two things anyone who hasn't played Nier yet deserves to know

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that fishing thing. It always seems to give some people trouble. :v:
As a third thing to know about Nier, related to that, always follow the mini-map.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Yep. Nier flashbacks. It's gonna be fun grinding for bullshit drop rates of things. :suicide:

dazat posted:

I uh... I translated Octa's story... yeah... so um... here you guys go... ha ha...
http://kho-dazat.tumblr.com/post/68052212592/all-you-need-is-joy

"I want to become a pleasure athlete." I cracked up at that line, and lost it at him wanting to gently caress a black hole. I can't wait for what horrors are lurking round the corner. :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

An official site for the Drakengard 3 OST has been put up: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/
There's only one sample song to listen to at present, but it's a beautiful one performed by none other than... Emi Evans, lead vocalist of the Nier soundtrack! :swoon:

EDIT:
Also of note is that Nobuyoshi Sano, who is responsible for many of the tracks on the first and second Drakengard soundtracks, is also listed as a composer/arranger.

Here it is on Youtube:

:toot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Itc4-Gk9IU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

Cent's short story is out: http://kho-dazat.tumblr.com/post/69085814644/the-jewel-in-the-palm-of-my-hand-are-you-okay

It's... normal. Cheery, even! Which strangely made it the hardest one to read. It'd be easier if one of them secretly hated each other, but nah. They're just blissfully in love.
I hope everyone looking forward to destroying their happiness, classic Cavia style!

Gotta be Stockholm syndrome, or something. They seem too happy together...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

D'aww. :3:

Mikhail is lovably dumb. I wonder how they're gonna handle these character traits in the localisation.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Another trailer.

Reminds me of this mural from Nier

Looks really good, I'm super excited for-

:stare:

This silence is mine...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

This is actually the opening movie. They were kind enough to censor the more spoilery parts there at the end!

Anyway, I translated it, albeit by ear:

You've come through once again with your translations :D
Hehehe...peeing dragon.

They did say that Mikhail is a reincarnation of someone. I kinda like that Peter is the Japanese sorta-mascot for Drakengard.
Nice to see they're carrying on the Nier tradition of spoiling the gently caress out of the intro.

dazat posted:

They also introduced a new downloadable costume for Zero, this one styled after Furiae.
The dagger she's fighting with? The same one Furiae committed suicide with, apparently! :D

They have a wonderfully warped sense of humour. :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 16, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Also known as the Watchers. La-la-la-la-la
---
Aoi Eir (singer of Kuroi Uta)'s reaction to the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHtNQcrD9SA

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 17, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
This Silence is Ours :unsmith:

This one, on the other hand...:what:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 17, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Another stream here:
:siren:
VVV
HERE BE SPOILERS!
^^^

The guy is working his way through most of the game.

Not-Europe is back! The soundtrack goes mental when the other Intoners go berserk. :stare:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 18, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dominic White posted:

That English poetry...

More like Engrish poetry

quote:

A fortrace drowing
in the blasm.
Her walls vansieged
by falseful mite

Dragon-friend is pretty cute though :3:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dominic White posted:

Seems closer to medieval, pre-dictonary english than anything. There's an interesting enough mix of contemporary and archaic for it to seem deliberate.

That's a fair point. Have to wait until the localisation to find out, I guess. :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:siren:Warning!:siren: Some of the endings have started to appear! :supaburn:

Without spoiling anything, I must say, it's Drakengard alright. :stare:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 18, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Aw c'mon dude, don't left me us hanging! What did you see? :suspense:

I'm hiding it behind the SStest poster so people don't accidently scroll over it.

SPOILERS
VVV
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=16803
^^^
SPOILERS

[e]: I couldn't make this poo poo up. :stare:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 18, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some music for you all:

The two other songs from the Drakengard 3 website.
Unknown Ambient Theme (Very Nier-esque)
Unknown Battle Theme (Vocals kick in at 2 mins)

And Growing Wings - Drakengard 3 Version.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It is done. :psyboom:

HUGE loving SPOILERS!
VVV
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=16820
^^^
HUGE loving SPOILERS!

No words. No words.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jonjonaug posted:

Nicovideo link for someone clearing the final boss.

That last note! What the gently caress?!

Everytime I think Cavia has reached the limits of trolling...they manage to push it further still. :allears:

Cloche posted:

Gonna buy this soundtrack, that much is a certainty.

I can't do anything about the SFX, or the audio warbles, but it'll do until the OST comes out.

Spoilers:
:siren:End Boss Theme:siren:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This game is going to be amazing, I cannot believe I am excited for a Drakengard game.

It's an odd feeling, isn't it? One I thought I'd never be feeling.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 20, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Accordion Man posted:

The final boss is The Mother Grotesquerie's Rhythm Game Redux, isn't it?

Yoko Taro has spent the last decade or so coming up with new, inventive cruelties to inflict, than simply blindly rehashing one of the most dickish moves in game history.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

So are the endings like the Drakengard, where the events are all in completely different places, or is it more like Nier where just the very end branches off? I liked Nier, but the four endings were kind of a letdown compared to having a choice between Space Babies, giant demon Furiae or NotTokyo.

It's more like Drakengard 1 - completing an ending unlocks branching sub-chapters with different scenarios and events. For example, cycle B starts with the player having all the apostle characters, even though in the previous cycle you wouldn't have some of them by that stage.

Like Drakengard, where the game suddenly acts as if Seere, Leonard and Arioch were there the whole time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Timely Howard posted:

So, I'm at the very end of D, trying to get through the final stage.

Holy drat, is it a giant piece of poo poo level. What an awful way to end the game. Visually it's awesome, but there is absolutely zero joy in playing it.

Welcome to Drakengard :getin:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

I just beat Ending D. It took three hours. I may have gotten into the triple digits with exclaiming "gently caress!" Just for that last mission. I have a bottle of whiskey before me. I am going to pound that fucker until I pass out. Merry loving Christmas. Drakengard! :suicide:

Congrats!

To quote Drakengard... :unsmigghh:

Policenaut posted:

Mikhail wearing an inappropriate hat! Too soon!

It's just a party hat, I don't see what the probl- oh. Haha!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Sales figures are in for the first week:

114,000 copies sold :toot:

42,000 up on Nier's first week sales.

[e]: This is the Cent bug in action, BTW. That egotist.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 27, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More Trolling by Cavia:

Yoko Taro, apparently, wanted to call the game Drakengard 4, to confuse players.
The idea was that the main character would call upon her dragon by cell-phone.

I haven't a clue who the Horned-girl and Goddess Hambeast are.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Someone's uploaded Male One's story
So yeah, the symbol of the conjoined two-headed, three-eyed being of the watchers, is of One♂ and One♀.

The same person who uploaded the Chip tunes has also started to upload the OST. I loving love this soundtrack. Those vocals. :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

My Anniversary Box FINALLY arrived today

Awesome! That's a hell of a lot of neat stuff! :aaa:

Looks like young Caim, Furiae and Inuart. Goddamn, he looks like a doofus.

Is that...manly Nowe? :stare:

Top Gym Pumper posted:

So does the One's dragon changing from Gabriella to Gabriel thing happen somewhere in the game and I missed it or is that another manga thing? Btw, what's up with Utahime Five? I can't find anything past the third chapter which came out like months ago.

I'm not sure if that's meant to be a mistranslation, or an attempt to copy a way of speaking, perhaps? It seems more stilted than how dazat translates things.

The only other thing I've found with the Utahime/Intoner Five thing, was chapter 4, where they travel on a ship, get attacked by a squid (which wrecks the ship), and then One is saved from it by Gabriel, and then I couldn't find anymore.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

InfinityComplex posted:

Kinda want a zoom up on that page of every character on it. Seems entertaining to look at what they're doing.

DrakeNier - Thumbs up for incest. :thumbsup:

Also, :lol: at Eris' pyromania showing.
Can anyone spot Legna? He's the only one I can't see. Unless he's been cut off the scan, I guess?

[e]:

Yes.

VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 1, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I need the entire soundtrack now! Any reason intoners have an electronic theme and a choral one?

I think it's a different boss theme for the different ending paths, because you fight different things.

Here's the full playlist, BTW. I know I've heard other versions with another layer, where the other sisters sing in a discordant electronic voice, when they go into that bloodlust mode alongside Zero.

It's also missing the DLC tracks.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mazed posted:

Either way, there's a certain charm in this Eeyore-guy just moping around and leaving a trail of hilariously depressing video games in his wake.

Hell, at one point the guy was involved in a game about crying. Lots of crying.

It was one of the two games that Cavia was working on, before they got cancelled - the other being that game set in a museum.

[e]: That's the one! It sounded pretty cool. Weren't they something like 60% done on it or something? Or am I confusing it for something else?
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 7, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Megalixir posted:

When do the songs play?

It's DLC, I believe there's a menu option to replace the standard stage/boss BGM with them.

They're pretty neat. I think the Emil one is lacking a bit - the drums helped to make the original - but the others are pretty great.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More of that sweet DLC music:

Better End DLC Mix
Kuroi Uta DLC Mix
This Silence is Mine DLC mix

Here's hoping for some Drakengard 2 stuff.

Also yay for more Dazat translations! :golfclap:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

So as a refresher, there were three brand-new, specially written stories in the 10th Anniversary Artbook: one for Drakengard, one for Drakengard 2, and one for Nier (you can see the illustrations that accompany each of them here).
And man, if you thought Inuart was awkward as an adult... prime yourself for some embarrassing and strangely realistic teenage boy hysterics.

Is that...Beepy in the Nier one? :3:

Hilarious to see that Inuart has always been, an insecure, jealous wreck. Suprisingly humanizing story, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

As an aside, while I was pawing more closely through my artbook I realized there WAS a picture of young!Verdelet after all (shoved all the way in a corner, which is why I didn't notice it at first). Check out this lady killer:

He looks like he walked straight out of a Victorian romance novel. I can see why he misses his hair.

Oh wow. :aaaaa: I had to do this:

Verdelet overlay

He paid a terrible price.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That manga linked to the game took yet another turn for the worst in the :wtc: department.

It features :nms:some knights selling children as sex slaves to some fat naked king, and in a more standard ":psyduck:Drakengard!?" moment, it appears that Female One has returned, despite having been long dead.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That youtuber is continuing to update with the various OST stuff:

Here is a version of Kuroi Uta as sung by Emi Evans.

And here's the official music video as sung by Eir Aoi

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Sounds like Paul St. Peter (who also voiced Leonard in Drakengard 1) is dubbing Michael. Dito sounds like it's Yuri Lowenthal (the Junkyard brothers in Nier)...I'm sure I can hear Kari Wahlgren (dubbed for Furiae) in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ashtarath posted:

So as an Australian who is generally bad at internet am I poo poo out of luck in getting one of the collectors edition? There is no way at all to ship it here from square's site.

All the PAL region is kinda outta luck for the collectors edition, as far as I'm aware - currently digital release only. :saddowns:

There's always ebay or something, in the far distant future. :negative:

• Locked thread