Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Ok so I'm in Sydney for the next few days - if I'm going to try this gelato messina place out for the first time, what should I be getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division

HookShot posted:

I'm downloading Age of Empires 2 with the expansion packs right now. Gonna game like it's 2001 all over again. I don't even know if it's going to install on Windows 8, but I hope so.

AoE 2 > all others

That poo poo's like muscle memory. I've been playing the hell out of it since they released the HD version. All Mongols. All the time.

Works fine on Windows 8.

Tirade

HookShot posted:

No, that all sucks, I want my ancient civilization simulation to be realistic, drat it!

Ahh yes, Celtic cavalry archers and the great Korean / Mayan war of 550BC.

Tirade

Splode posted:

Yeah I'm reading those rules and I'm not sure I can be bothered anymore.

Come play aoe2 instead.

Tirade

If there's any interest I could host an aoe2HD Auspol game in the next 15-30 mins or so.

E:

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think you mean wait 2 weeks and play age of mythology instead

loving youngsters have no respect for the classics.

Tirade

Endman posted:

My first RTS was Dune 2. Step it up.

Sorry that you're old :(

Edit: older.

Edit2: Game is up! Join AUSPOL in AoE2 lobby. You know it makes sense.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 21, 2014

Tirade

Heads up, the Auspol Trad Games thread is fucken hilarious right now and y'all should be reading it.

Tirade

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

The bar is my penis.

minibar joke here

Tirade

beetloJW posted:

Work colleague and I were talking about this yesterday, i said basically what you said when he complained, his counter point was that the type of music they play has changed they be gone much more main stream eg. kanye and ignored a lot of scenes completely in Australia of late eg. Metal which has been having a huge revival.

Yeah that's spot on. My understanding is that if Kingsmill doesn't like it then it doesn't get airtime, which leads to them overlooking anything that isn't indie, skip hop or poppy dance music.

Case in point: Hiatus Kaiyote from Melbourne put out one of the most amazing soul albums this decade, had their praises sung by Prince, The Roots and Erykah Badu, and got nominated for a Grammy. And JJJ played them once or twice on roots and all.

Also go listen to Hiatus Kaiyote everyone, they're amazing

Tirade

Big Willy Style posted:

A washed up artist likes them AND a Grammy nomination, impressive.

Sorry that you've got a different taste in music, don't be hating :(

Tirade

Big Willy Style posted:

It's more that we shouldn't care about what some weirdo celebrity thinks about music. Also, the Grammies are a joke, haven't you watched the Simpson's?

I'm well aware that the Grammys are poo poo but it's an indication of success, although for these guys it was success driven by US college radio stations rather than commercial radio or record sales.

And Prince is still putting out amazing music, shame about the whole Jehovah's Witness thing.

Tirade

beetloJW posted:

being smug and hating others' music is a god given right you commie freedom hater.

poo poo, you're right!

Metal sucks.

Tirade

Although metal fans are some of the nicest people on the planet (with one or two exceptions). I worked at a live music venue in Brissy for a while and metal nights had by far the nicest, must well behaved crowd. All the bands were really nice too.

Tirade

ColtMcAsskick posted:

There are people in high school that weren't alive when u joined SA fun fact

Oh my.

Tirade

Hollandia posted:

Is there an android version of the awful app? Or am I stuck with chrome?

Yeah dude and it's baller. Get on it, it's on the Google play store.

Tirade

Milky Moor posted:

Although I'm pretty sure I should've done cinema studies or film theory or whatever the gently caress they call it because I Care about stories.

Then post more in cratethread.

Tirade

thatbastardken posted:

Heinlein threw a lot of ideas about "ideal societies" about in his writing, it's not that easy to pin him down to "has a huge boner for fascism".

Verhoven's treatment was about the only possible way to salvage the creepy fascist undertones of the book into something not-poo poo. It's a brilliant film and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Tirade

What's this snapchat business help me I'm old and frail.

Tirade

loving hell nerds, didn't we have gameplatformchat like, less than two weeks ago?

Tirade

cat doter posted:

how does one enter public service? i've thought about it sometimes, it seems a viable alternative to simply being a wage slave on an existential level but i of course don't know of the specifics of that sort of work

Until a few years ago? Watch apsjobs.gov.au, find something you like, write 2000 words worth of bullshit addressing generic selection criteria. Go to an interview and have a few examples that fall under each of the previous criteria and use / modify them to fit whatever questions you're asked, while making sure to repeat key words like "thereby demonstrating my ability to build and maintain strong working relationships". Get job.

Since about budget time in 2012? gently caress off, we're full.

Tirade

It's not a bad career, all things considered. The public service is at least in theory best practice for employment conditions, so there's lots of scope for flexible work arrangements (although in practice less and less, at least at certain departments). And Canberra isn't as bad as its reputation. The sphincter of APS employment is kinda pulled shut right now, but if it ever unclenches I'd be happy to give advice to anyone regarding selection criteria, interviews, etc.

Just remember that you're employed to give effect to the policies of the Government of the day, however outrageous they may be to your own views. Drinking helps.

Tirade

Doctor Spaceman posted:

APS isn't limited to Canberra either, and there's also the state level stuff.

Girlfriend (in the ATO) reckons that some departments will start expanding again once the government realises they need people to do the things they want to do.

gently caress, hope she's ok jobwise. ATO is getting savaged, because apparently employing people to collect the money that funds the government is a bad idea.

Tirade

loving hell you guys post a lot.

Tirade

I'm not American.

Mate

Tirade

Sulla how do you cope with the pressures of posting from a timezone so far behind Australia?

Tirade

Also you should channel your creative energy into something more worthwhile than shitposting in GBS. Have you considered becoming a werewolf?

Tirade

Yeah I was thinking "why the gently caress am I wasting time reading some weird rant about a game I haven't yet played", but I'm not gonna bother to play it now so I guess I'm up like 30 hours. Thanks milky!

Tirade

Ask not for whom the bell jars.

Tirade

hiddenmovement posted:

Please tell me about snow hookshot, because it appears that thanks to global warming we don't have down here anymore

Holy poo poo you aint kidding.

Happy start of the ski season everyone!

Tirade

From memory if you got a 3 as your final mark you were given the opportunity to sit the final exam again. It was called a conceded pass or something.

Where else but Queeeeensland!

Tirade

Watch the hockey instead, Australia vs Netherlands in the women's grand final is on now, Australia vs the Netherlands in the men's grand final this time tomorrow.

Tirade

thatbastardken posted:

Ancient societies were pretty dumb.

No gods no cats no masters

Tirade

Marvel Heroes. Diablo 2 with superdudes.

Tirade

XyloJW posted:

Isn't Canberra the seventh?

Not a state, which is why it gets overruled by the Tories in Federal parliament every time it tries to do something remotely progressive.

Tirade

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Wasn't it literally chosen because Sydney and Melbourne were bickering too much about who got to be the capital, so Canberra got chosen to say "gently caress both of you"? :allears:

True story it could have been on the coast except our glorious founding fathers believed that public servants work harder in the cold.

Tirade

Tony Jowns posted:

purely psychosomatic

what does that mean?

Tirade

Holy crap, Australia isn't yet losing horribly to Holland in footsport.

Tirade

Is the auspol steam group a good reflection of the current auspol posters?

Tirade

Just, ya know, summer sale and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

"oh my life is so empty i need literally teaspoons of sugar in every cup of chemical-flavoured syrup mix i drink" -- some pathetic fuckin dweeb

"my life has gone so far beyond mere emptiness that i have actual arguments about what type of poisonous syrup i drink instead of water" -- just, gently caress

I've seen a few threads in YLLS about people wanting to lose weight, and after being told "drink water instead of soft drink" they complain that they don't like the taste of water. This wasn't just one dude, I've seen people say that over and over again, both here, other sites, and once by some fat dude at a bar in Cali.

I just don't like the taste of water. It's loving incomprehensible. How divorced from the reality of how your body works have you got to be that this could be a thing? How can a body even function if every time it gets hydrated it also gets a massive injection of sugar and flavouring? How is this a position that a supposedly rational human being can take? It's water! gently caress!

• Locked thread