Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

Blitz

Shortly after your meeting with Casper, your commlink notifies you of a new message from an unknown contact. The message is text; written in oddly accurate but still somewhat unnatural English.

Good day. I have recently been in contact with a mutual acquaintance, and he notified me that you are looking for work. It just so happens that I have a job which requires a person possessing your talents.

This is not the format to discuss the finer details of this opportunity, so I hope to meet with you personally this time tomorrow. Embedded in this message is a set of coordinates that should lead you to my club in Itaewon; The Tranny Troll.

Do not let the name mislead you, this is a serious job, and if performed satisfactorily, will most certainly help mitigate your current financial situation, and should you be interested, more work is always available.

Amalia

Your commlink buzzes you with a new message. Sender unknown; text. The message is curt, condescending, and rude.

Your operator put you in contact with me. You are to report to me at the embedded coordinates this time tomorrow. That is all.

Mr. Clean

Your commlink flashes, waking you from a dreamless, jet-lagged sleep. You don't know the sender.

Good evening, Mr. Clean. My name is Mr. Kim, and according to a mutual associate of ours, I believe I have a job you may be interested in. If you are interested in hearing more, I can be found in Itaewon, in a club called "The Tranny Troll". Coordinates are included in the metadata of this message.

Professor Cirno

A new message flashes on your deck. It appears to be encrypted and sent through a number of encrypted nodes. Guess word of your talent gets around.

Greetings. I am assembling a team of runners for a special job, and to put it bluntly, the word of your talent precedes you. I wish to hire you to handle Matrix support of my team. Naturally, I cannot reveal any more information in this medium. If you are interested, meet me in Itaewon at The Tranny Troll at this time tomorrow. Coordinates are included, although I'm sure a man of your skill has little need of them.

Capstick

Your commlink buzzes you with a new message. You don't know who the guy is, but hey, do you ever? Work is work.

Good evening, Capstick. I will be blunt, your reputation for tenacity and violence precedes you. I am preparing a team for a job that has a high chance of resulting in bloodshed, and I need a man who can handle defending that team with hesitation. Trust me, the compensation will be more than satisfactory. Please meet me and your teammates at The Tranny Troll in Itaewon. Coordinates are embedded in this message. Please arrive by this time tomorrow. Thank you.

If you need time to buy something or contact anyone, you've got one day. Otherwise, simply enter the club and we'll start from there.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Make a Perception check.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CisMaleTheSensitiv posted:

I kinda made my initial post simple and sweet cause last go around with this dude I was already at the meet and I peeped everything in/out/around when i got to the place and while i was in it. Can we assume I do this as well and before even going I thoroughly investigate this referral with my people before I decide if I want to take the job. And then the thorough investigation shows its legit and we get on with the show. I wanna get on the roll already, mainly cause last time I took my time the game i was in died.

edit: oh yeah for all that what rolls and how many of them do you need from me

Yeah, you've got a day to gently caress around and scope things out. You've got plenty of time for it.

As far as the rolls, I just need to know which contact you're investigating the referral with. For checking poo poo out around the place, just let me know a general time you're doing this (as in hours before the meeting time) and give me a perception roll.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Niles arrives on scent and begins looking around, half way through the day his comlink pulses faintly, his reminder to eat some protein paste and sip some water. His excitement begins to build, but he chokes it back, No, this isn't a hunt, but maybe it will lead to something worth doing, or at the least, some needed money.

You notice the floor above the club appears to be vacant, and not particularly well secured.

You could probably just bash out a window. Or, if you want to NOT go to jail, probably jimmy open a lock, if you really wanted to.

Go ahead and make a sneaking and climbing check for me as well, to see if anyone sees you scaling the building. Since you're climbing a building, I'm willing to let you use your parkour skill in place of climbing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Matrix Research

Fairly well-known Troll-sploitation bar. Most of the staff is comprised of trolls, as well as a few orcs (mostly working security). Most of the clientele is human, however. Most trolls wouldn't be caught dead in the place, except for the ones working there, of course.

Matrix Perception

Several security cameras are installed in almost every room of the bar (bathrooms are thankfully untapped). You also notice a few directional microphones placed in and around the bar, as well as a few placed at various booths and tables concealed in the light fixtures.

There also appears to be some matrix activity on a basement floor directly below the bar, but you can't make out specifically what without getting the attention of the Korean GODs.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Run it through my yakuza contact first and if he can't answer the following questions straight or to my satisfaction, then and only then do I run up to the S-K Johnson whose keeping tabs on me and find out if this is one of his pet projects he has me lined up for. Any research that needs to be done I have done by my Red Vory data thief contact and he also gets a call as well from me if the Yakuza guy has nothing for me at all.

List of Questions:
1. Did you refer me to anyone.
2. Did anyone you know that knows me refer me to anyone.
3. Whats the deal with this guy, whats the job, all pertinent information.
4. Ask 3 again incase he held anything back.

Basic Perception Roll 9d6t5: 2
Visual/Image Enhanced Perception Roll 12d6t5: 7 Mental Limit 6

Use those rolls where appropriate. I will come 2 hours before the meet to check it out and then check it out 30 minutes prior before i walk in the door....15 minutes prior.

Yakuza Contact (Be nice to have a name here)

"I don't think I directly referred you to anyone, but we did have an associate asking about guys for a job that needed doing by a friend of a friend who knows a guy. We sent a dossier of several guys matching what they needed; tough, cybered up, intimidating, I wouldn't be surprised if your name got in there."

"About your Kim, we see a fair bit of that guy. Kinda stupid, but also stupid rich, so we just give him what he asks for. Some kind of collector, lot of B&E jobs, some wetwork. He usually makes it loving rain if you impress him the slightest bit, so grab some random poo poo or paydata on your way out of the job and who knows, might make you a bit richer."

During your arrival 2 hours prior to the meet, you observe nothing unusual, at least as far as late night Itaewon usually offers. The bouncer at the club is a massive androgynous troll with a lovely attitude towards humans and elves. There seems to be a list, and the consequences for not being on it and pushing the matter are unpleasant.

Make a perception check.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 8, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mr. Clean

You don't notice anything too unusual, aside from a guy shimmying up the wall in an alley to the abandoned second floor. You pick up a dizzying mix of multilingual conversation and the buzzing of the neon lights, but nothing to seems to warrant any serious concern, at least on your part.

Kash

"The Kim is a slight man, human, with some surgical modifications to appear elvish. He usually wears glasses and fine Italian suits, with a preference for the color white. On the rare occasions we have had to scan him for cyberware, he has either minimal or no cybernetic modifications. He is always accompanied by two body guards; a troll weilding a custom modified Krime Kannon and a traditional shaman, although we have not had the opportunity to observe either in action. Probably best to watch yourself around them."

Danila

"I'll feed you updates to your cybereyes or your commlink as I get them. If you're willing to go a step further, my work'll be a lot easier if you image-link me to your eyes while I work. I can cross-reference facial recognition data with my Matrix searches and potentially pull up a lot more a lot faster. Question is, do you trust me enough to give me a mark on your eyes to do that?

Oh, and don't worry about payment. I'm all good on nuyen for the moment, so let's just call this one a favor."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Alright, we're all here and we're all headed in, it would seem.

Niles

You're able to find a way to get into the bar from the second floor. I'll just assume you're stalking around until you announce yourself to the group.

Everyone Else

You each arrive at somewhat different times, some early, some right on time. As you pass through the door, the bouncer briefly stops you, giving you a dirty look as he/she scans a list of names on an AR pad, then grunting while guiding/shoving you through the door.

The inside of the club is smoky, smelly and loud. Goblin Rock blares through speakers embedded in the walls as garishly dressed trolls move about, taking order and delivering drinks to various metahumans seated throughout the club. Some chatting, some drowsing, all wasted but seemingly having a good time.

At the bar is a Troll bartender, although this one is either a very good pass for a woman, or actually is one. At a glance, it is impossible to tell in the dim lighting. The proprietor of the club really did go all the way with the theme however, as the barstools are all of industrial size and strength, and the glasses are literally the size of your head. Reading through the AR Menu, the prices seem downright reasonable as well, especially considering the volume of drink offered.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Capstick

When you're getting eyeballed in a troll themed tranny bar in Itaewon, you know you're really out of place. Still, no one gives you any trouble. The bartender even seems a little nervous as she serves a woman who looks nearly as out of place as you do. A few other patrons are entering that don't really mesh with the clientele here.

Mad Dog

That Korean check will suffice for the rest of this scene. Your character has no trouble communicating here, even if a bit imperfectly.

The bartender absent-mindedly pours your juice while keeping a wary eye on the jumpsuited empty-eyed stranger who just straggled up seemingly out of nowhere.

She looks back to you briefly, obviously a little amused at seeing you perched atop such an oversized barstool, sipping on juice, kind of like a child at a high chair.

"You little out of place here, cutie. How you get in? You here for da boss?"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Atlatl posted:

Mad Dog

"Yeah!" Amalia follows the bartender's critical gaze to the guy in the jumpsuit next to her. Weird. "Is there a back room or something here that I'm supposed to be at?"

The bartender grunts.

"Yeah, in the back. Boss is real rear end in a top hat. Good pay though, easy to make happy, more money than sense."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Capstick

Can I use my hearing aug to overhear any of this? If so, I will wait a few moments, then follow her into the back.

I think it's reasonable to assume your guy would be listening, and you would have been close enough to hear it without a test using augmented hearing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kim speaks English, just as he did in his original message.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Minjun Young "Rigged Deck"

Minjun arrives just late enough to watch Mad Dog walk away (which he completely doesn't notice or just ignores). He gathers his courage, tries to remember what Korean he's learned, and...speaks as if he'd been fluent with it his entire goddamn life. He decides to go for the blunt and simple approach.

Korean: 9d6t5 6
Jesus christ

"Beer. I'm here for a meeting. Do you know if my employer has arrived yet? He'd make mention of me."

How would I check the Matrix activity in the basement? I assume by it attracting attention, you mean I'd start building Overwatch Score rather then "THEY HIT YOU IMMEDIATELY"

Yeah, Overwatch is what I meant. Checking the Matrix activity would be as simply as checking it out via AR or VR. You'd have to make the standard Matrix Perception check, and you'll get your standard "question per hit" from it. None of that would start an Overwatch score, though, unless you try to do something illegal.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Matrix: Perception: 10d6t5 4

Broadly speaking: how many icons there are, if any are personas, and, if they are, what they're runnin'

There are three icons downstairs, not running silent, so they don't count against your questions. You do pick up 3 silent icons, however. Two cameras and what is probably a microphone, based on pictures of microphones you've seen from the 1990's.

You can pick one icon to find out what it is running.

Just waiting on Mr. Clean and we can kick the meeting off.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I would have had this post up this morning but I fell asleep when I laid down trying to think of what else to post. My apologies.

It happens. Ain't no thing.

Everyone

You receive a brief AR message to follow your guide to the back of the room. At the same time, the steel door in the back of the bar slides open as a large, mean-looking troll wearing mirrored glasses stomps out with a Krime Kannon slung over his shoulder. He leans against the wall next to the door, looking around the bar and waiting for you to get your asses over to him. He doesn't look like the patient type.

To speed things up a bit, I'm going to assume you all gather, if not, let me know.

"You guys them? Follow me, and don't touch poo poo, 'less you wants this gun up yer asses."

Korean language check of 3 to get this, you can buy if you want.

He turns and walks through the door and down a poorly lit flight of concrete stairs. He doesn't seem to care whether you are following or not.

Mr. Clean

An encrypted AR message pops up in the corner of your vision, from Tovarich.

"Well, that's an easy one. Goes by the name of Ironguts. I'll let you guess why. Criminal record too long to bother listing, nearly every arrest for violence. Big, tough and too dumb to be scared of what he ought to. Cybernetic skull and Aluminum plated bones according to his prison records. Probably chromed up other places too. Watch yourself with him. Still searching for the other freaks. Give me your ears and I think I can pull some magic off.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 10, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Just gonna assume Minjun ends up in there with you guys and move on ahead.

The troll lumbers ahead of you, ducking to avoid grinding his head against the low ceiling of the stairwell.

He reaches the end and holds his massive palm against a glass square mounted on the wall. The wall at the end of the stairwell then slides open, revealing a hidden room. As you pass into the room, you are met with the smell of fine cigars and expensive wine. The room is line with wall-to-wall red carpeting. Expensive wooden furniture sits well-placed throughout the medium-sized chamber. In the far corner of the room sits a long glass table, lined with carved and cushioned wooden chairs. A bottle of fine wine sits in a bucket of ice at the head of the table where a thin Korean human man sits dressed in a fine well-fitted Italian suit.

"At last, we all meet. I'm glad to see you all decided to join me. Please, have a seat, we have much to discuss."

As you take your seats, the door you entered through slides open yet again as another large troll steps through. This one is wearing long flowing traditional robes and carries a long wooden stick, capped with thin strips of multi-colored cloth. You don't see any hint of cybernetic enhancement at all. Both trolls stand on either side directly behind Mr. Kim.

"I will be direct. A client of mine requires a very hard to find item. Quite simply, my hope is that you will be able to acquire it. The job is simple, although I do not expect it to be easy. I am prepared to offer you 4,000 nuyen each to find a way to reach it and return it to me. Resistance is expected, and will likely be most formidable."

Kim stands up, adjusting his suit, and proceeds to walk slowly around the table, pausing as he speaks to each of you.

"Capstick, is it? Best I don't know your real name, seeing as you aren't really here, and we aren't really talking. You have a reputation for tenacity. It is my hope that your talent for violence will speed your progress though any obstacles.

Mad Dog. *Kim does not look you* A doll on loan from some friends of friends. It is a sturdy construction, custom built, as I understand it. I expect it is designed to follow orders, whoever will be giving them. In any case, I trust those who sent it; it should serve you well.

Blitz. You will face magical defenses and threats. I expect you will be able to handle them, yes? Those who recommend you had good things to say.

Mr. Clean. I expect you will be the most crucial member of this team. The target will surely raise your interest.

Minjun. Hard to find a good hacker. I don't know if I have, but I trust my sources, so for the time being, I will trust you.

Naturally, I cannot give you any further details until we have worked out a verbal contract. I expect you each have questions and concerns. Now is the time to discuss them."

Mr. Clean
Data pops up regarding your team members.

Capstick: Seems to be well-known in hunting circles. Not much on this guy, besides extensive cyberware.

Mad Dog: Mafia ties to the Russo family, not sure what her exact job is. Wouldn't expect to see her here, in any case, probably a story there.

Blitz: Hot drat, this guy is red loving hot back in the UCAS. Not sure what went down just yet, but it must have been a sight to see for him to be here so damned fast.

Minjun: I got nothing on this guy. Just from appearances, probably a decker, and a good one, I'd bet, since I can't get poo poo on him.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sorry for the noposts; general headaches and sleeplessness have been doing a number on me.

You've got the "computer hacker" thing down pat then.

quote:

Also! Minjun goes by Rigged Deck - he isn't going to just give out his actual name!

gently caress, I knew I was going to do that.

ProfessorCirno posted:

'Trix Percetion. AGAIN. I WILL KNOW AAAALLLLL: 10d6t5 4

[i]Assuming I beat the check - three silent icons, four questions. First is to spot the three icons. Also, I'm guessin' the three non-silent icons are the commlinks for Kim and his two trolls? If so, number four will be what programs the Kim is running.

I assume you're doing this in AR?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 12, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Capstick

Kim pauses, considering your words.

"Yes, I respect differences between hunting and simply slaughtering. I apologize if I insulted your sense of honor, I meant no such slight. The fact is, finding the object will not be as simple as breaking into the building and grabbing it. The location of it is a guarded secret. My hope is that your instincts will be helpful to the team in tracking it down once you are inside."

Mr. Clean

"Of course Mr. Kim that goes without saying. Who are the expected resistance, what threats can be expected. Is collateral damage a concern? Do you want this done quietly or do you wish to make an example? Will acquiring the package require us to invest in special equipment and will you be providing reimbursement for said equipment. Those are my concerns. I am curious as to why you implied this contract you have assembled us for would peak my interest. The subtle change from merely acquiring a package under duress and fire to mentioning a target of interest. Secondary objective?"

"Yes, of course. Expected resistance. Internal security, I would expect armed guards, drones, and given the target organization, probably some magical resistance as well. Unfortunately, my peoples' attempts at properly casing the response team have met with failure.

Collateral damage. *Kim pauses a bit to suppress a laugh*. As a matter of fact, my involvement in this matter is under duress. It is a responsibility I did not ask for, and the manager of the division I need you to "liberate" the objective from is not a person I enjoy being around. For the ease of your job, a quiet approach would probably be advantageous, but if the proverbial poo poo were to hit the fan, I will admit to some level of amusement.

If you will have need of special equipment, please compile a list and send it to me. I will make sure you have what you need to properly complete the job. You will have 72 hours before it needs to be completed; I expect that will be sufficient time for you to assess your needs.

And finally, your interest in the job at hand. The target, I believe, is a previous employer of yours. Saeder-Krupp. I do not know what division you were involved with; my intel came up completely blank on that detail, but I did feel it appropriate to make you aware of this.

Blitz

Kim smiles.

"I was wondering if someone was going to ask me that. The object in question is a prototype computer processor. It is housed inside a rather large computer. I expect it would be about 1x1 meter, weighing around 50kg. If any of you is particularly skilled with computer hardware, it would be possible to simply remove the processor itself, as we have no interest in the rest of the hardware, but if not, I don't encourage you to try. It is supposed to be desperately tricky to properly remove, even in the best of circumstances.

As I told your colleague, the target will be the Seoul division of Saeder-Krupp. 13th floor is as much as we currently know regarding the whereabouts of the computer. Corporate security will likely consist of drones, armed guards, and very likely magic."

Also, I'd rather you roll "Judge Intent" than perception. You can make a new roll for it.

Rigged Deck

You pick up about the same info on your teammates than Mr. Clean's guy did (Same number of hits, in fact.) And yeah, the three non-silent icons are the commlinks from Kim and the trolls. For that matter, you're now picking up a number of other icons from your teammates.

The three silent icons seem to belong to two cameras and a microphone. Kim's Commlink is running both Toolbox and Encryption.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ltr posted:

I knew I was doing it wrong, I just could not find the right thing to roll listed in the book. Should be put in with using social skills(or at least a blurb about it) but hiring an editor costs money :argh:

Judge Intentions: 9d6t5 3 There we go.

Kim occasionally exchanges glances with his shaman, and moved particularly fast through his mention of payment.

You get the sense he is holding out on you and seems to feel he is getting away with it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ltr posted:

Blitz

Well, one of the big boys. Kim is definitely low-balling us then. "If we're running against S-K, then 4000 each is not going to cut it. Triple A's are a tough nut to crack. Their security is top notch and depending on how important the facility this computer processor is in, the magical support can be downright scary. So lets go with doubling that to 8000 each."

Negotiate: 9d6t5 1 ugh...

I tried :(

Want to drop some edge on that before I go further?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Gonna throw a quick hack at the two cameras running silent. First, changing deck stats, then Hack on the Fly to gain a mark. Fork allows me to hit both cameras in one action.

Hack on the Fly: 18d6t5 7

Sleaze - and thus my limit - is 7. Hell yeah B).
If I'm able to, I'll also run Snoop on both cameras to see what they're seeing, just in case one of them isn't in this room - after all why have TWO ones, that are hidden???

ESS EN DOUBLE OH PEE DEE OH DOUBLE GEE: 11d6t5 2
If they roll higher, I'm gonna spend an Edge to reroll failures. Otherwise I now have access and can see what both cameras see.

Defense against HotF: 8d6t5 4

No problem there. You get your marks.

Defense against Snoop: 8d6t5 3

Might have a problem here though. I'm not sure that the edge rules really allow for rolling edge dice after an opponent's test, but what the hell, I'll allow it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ltr posted:

I'm hesitant, but want to make a good impression on the group so why not.

Second chance roll Edge: 8d6t5 4 that's more like it. for a total of 5 hits (limit 7)

Kim's Negotiation: 9d6t5 4

Kim walks back to the head of the table and sits.

"Yes, of course. I acknowledge the danger you'll be in, and the possible ways things to could against you. I suppose that is worthy of higher pay.

Perhaps we can compromise. 8,000 up front is somewhat steep. You are probably all honorable and honest, but I can never be sure. On the same note, I do not wish to insult your character, so I propose to give you 5,000 up front, and 3,000 after completion.

Further, I do have a personal request. In the office of the floor manager there is something I would like to collect. As I mentioned, he and I are not fond of one another. He is in possession of a valuable and rare baduk board. You may know the game as Go. It is solid oak, quite heavy, and should have a set of black and white marble stones. If you can acquire this in addition to your main objective, I will increase your pay after completion to 5,000."

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 12, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, I didn't say it saying either way in the rules. At least the rules part I read. Given this book I would be entirely unsurprised if there were more Edge rules elsewhere though, haha. Also, note that Fork allows me to hit two targets with more attack, but they'd both roll defense individually, so there's a chance one might break that mark after all!

Ah, right you are. Don't know how I missed that.

Second camera defense against HotF: 8d6t5 4

Still got that mark on both.

Second camera defense against Snoop: 8d6t5 1

No problem on the snoop rolls either.

You weren't particularly focused, however, and messed up on a command here and there. You corrected it, but you might have made a little more noise than you normally would have. Still, no one seems to notice, or if they do, they don't seem to mind.

What programs do you have running, by the way?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kim

Do we have an agreement?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kim claps his hands together.

"Wonderful!

As I mentioned earlier, the deadline for this job is 72 hours from now. I am afraid I do not have much more than I have already told you in the way of intel regarding security response. The chip is cutting edge new technology, so I expect a somewhat elaborate security protocol surrounding it.

Our best intel has it located on the 13th floor of the building. However, we have no way of knowing how reliable this information is. It would be highly irregular to keep something so sensitive above ground, but again, it would also be unexpected. It is probably best for you to attempt your own intel prior to the job.

During the course of your intel, please compile a list of equipment you will need, and I will made sure it is made available to you, within reason, of course.

This meeting is now complete. I have instructed the bartending staff to comp any drinks or food you care for while you are here, so please, enjoy.

As you leave, each of you is presented with a brand new polished obsidian credstick loaded with 5,000 nuyen each, as well as an upload of GPS data regarding the location of the target building.

Rigged Deck

It appears that the cameras are set up to capture two different angles of the same room. You have an angle from behind Kim and one to the side. You do get the nagging feeling that you have forgotten something very important...

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Rigged Deck smiles and stands up to leave. As he does, his deck continues racing. He carefully (and quietly) saves the video of their group...and tries to see how far back the video goes, saving that as well if he can. He also switches his Fork program to Baby Monitor to check his Overwatch and, OS allowing, moves to target the microphone this time, again saving data of their visit as well as checking how far back it goes and saving that, too.

Scanners generally save I want to say 24 hours worth of material unless erased in advance, so Rigged Deck is going to see if those 24 hours are still there, and what they might reveal. Baby Monitor tells me my Overwatch Score without raising the counter; if it's 30 or below, I do the following. If not, I let it go.

Hack on the Run: 18d6t5 4
Snoopy: 11d6t5 6

Rigged Deck

You've got your 24 hours. Nothing too interesting though, at least at a cursory glance. Just Kim sitting alone listening to Elven music and pretending to compose. Maybe a more thorough viewing will yield more, but that would be awkward in the middle of a bar. Up to you, though.

OS is at 18.

Microphone Defense against HotF: 8d6t5 3

Microphone Defizzy against Snoop Dogg fo' shizzy: 8d6t5 1 (or not so shizzy, it would seem)

Overwatch bumps up to 22. You have the Microphone and Microphone saved data.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 13, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I'll write up the details for Capstick's casing of the building in a couple hours. Figures I would get a database project dumped on me just as I start a game.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Would you mind terrible if I just rolled for you? Nothing crazy (should) happen during a routine casing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Capstick

As the others head off to do some planning, you head off in the direction of the building.

You arrive about 20 minutes later in a well-off commercial district of Seoul. Tall buildings tower across the skyline, each guarded by thick concrete barriers and steel gates, giving the impression of a concrete maze. Finding your destination is hard enough even with AR, no telling how anyone did it before it was even invented.

Your building is, sure enough, heavily guarded by thick steel gates, 4 meter walls and a manned security booth with tinted windows. You can't see in, but you better believe they can see out. A security camera is mounted directly to the left of the gate, and periodically swivels to the right, keeping a close eye on any elements that could be a threat. Razor wire lines the top of the fence. If this place is as rich as it looks, you bet it is probably also electrified.

Climbing looks to be possible, if not extremely dangerous, but then again, safety-minded people don't often become runners, do they?

Everyone else

This is Seoul. Finding cheap digs near your target of virtually any kind you want is piss easy. Pick a place and it's yours for just 500 nuyen a night.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Capstick

Good roll.

23:30

Around the side of the building is a second gate and guardhouse. The gate here is considerably wider than the first, and from what you can see beyond the wall, leads to what looks like a loading dock. Several trucks are parked, but no one appears to be doing anything with them at the moment.

You also find a narrow alley in the back. It would appear that maintenance pays less attention to this area, as the razorwire is matted with birdnest and there appear to be no security cameras focusing on this spot. You also see a good amount of gang related graffiti (Korean language check if you care to read it), which notably does not appear on any other section of the wall. The alleyway is just narrow enough that you could probably shimmy up the wall to get a peek of the other side.

Eddy
"Always the fuckin' night owl, I see. Glad to hear you ain't dead yet.

Let's see, places to hide out while the heat dies down. Well, it's Seoul. You probly ain't gonna like this, but the sewers are beyond ancient and nobody fuckin' goes down there for anything. You'll probably run into some nasty wildlife down there, but probably nothing worse than what's going to be chasing you if poo poo gets bad enough to go down there in the first place. They stink like poo poo, though, but that's probably reasonable, considering. I hear rumors that they didn't get all the bugs back in '55, but that's probly just a loada poo poo. Watch yourself anyway.

You might also try them love hotels if you got a little more time to dick around. I like 'em, and ain't no one ever caught me. Check in with a machine, dark hallways, shrouded parking lots, black tinted windows on both sides, anonymous as they get. Course, they're supposed to be used for fuckin', but I figure if you don't tell, they don't ask."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Capstick

You manage to get most of the way up the wall, but that last meter is a tricky one. Not wanting to snag yourself on the possibly electrified razorwire, you can't really see any other way up.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Works for me.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Alright, so Love Hotel then.

The price is by the room, so for the night, you pay 100 nuyen total. Split it however you care to. The room is surprisingly nice, but you sense you'd rather not shine a blacklight on anything in here. Each of you recieves back the imagery Capstick is collecting.

Preliminary Matrix research reveals a public node used for scheduling things like visits, appointments, etc. The host for the building is massive, and you imagine probably well guarded.

Still, enough legit traffic needs to move through easily that you stand a decent chance of getting through undetected. Getting feet on the ground inside the actual building might be tougher, but then, isn't that the whole reason to bring squishy Matrix nerds in the first place?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Well, I don't got no poppers on me, but I can handle explosives if someone else can provide. I can probably mess around and get us proper invites in and a supposed appointment into the building proper - we'll just show up "early" - though we'd have to get from the nice happy public areas to their top secret labs on our own. 'Course that's if you all got SINs that can handle the check and you won't hose it. From there, if we're careful and I'm lucky, I can keep the cameras from spotting us. It just takes splicing pre-recorded footage in replacement of what it's seeing now. I'll see if I can check up anything on their Host and security procedures that might help."

Knowledge: Matrix Security: 13d6t5 4

Patrol IC, Spider patrols, alarm systems, strong firewall, pretty typical corporate Matrix security, from what you can remember. If you want to check their Host in particular though, you'll need to get in there and give me a Matrix Perception check. Outside the host there are several public nodes for things like information and checking appointments. To do anything serious, though, you'll need to get inside.

Everyone else, while we're hashing out Matrix stuff, feel free to check out Astral stuff, on-foot type stuff. No reason we can't do it all at once.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mr. Clean

Thanks for the heads up, not sure how I missed that. Sorry.

Pretty much any type of hole in this part of time you can think of is easily yours for about 100 nuyen a night. Just take your pick and let me know.

You recall a few details regarding a few security protocols you've scanned in the past for Asian branches of S-K. Magical security is understated, but formidable. Mundane security is employed first, with magical units covertly setting up at final exit points, ready to ambush with spirits and combat mages. Physical and astral barriers are employed at engagement. Astral stalking is also used when a break-in is noticed early on. Protocol usually allows for intruders to be covertly watched by camera/magic in an attempt to learn their objective and possibly who the employer is. No mercy, no prisoners. Security response teams are usually well-cybered and will usually wait to strike when the team has left the building proper in an attempt to minimize collateral damage.

As far as tactics go, it depends. If the package is indeed located on the 13th floor, escape through stairs or elevators is risky to suicidal. Rappelling or base jumping is risky, but probably a better choice. You figure your limited magical support could be best spent in a support role, bolstering the team while commanding a spirit, or, if they are willing to risk the drain of summoning and binding, multiple spirits. A speedy escape trumps winning the fight here.

Blitz

Make a quick Assensing check.

At a glance, the outside grounds of the building have minimal, if any magical security. Like most corps, S-K does employ the use of Hell-Hounds at night; you see 5 of them leisurely patrolling the grounds. If they can see into the astral, they don't seem to acknowledge you. Drifting around the building, you do see a few small spheres every few floors encompassing various rooms, probably mana barriers.

Mad Dog

Boss

"Look, I can help you out if there absolutely is no other choice, but I need to stay as far away from whatever business you're involved in there. Didn't you Johnson make any offer for reimbursement or acquiring the goods himself? You really should ask him first if not. Get back to me if you get stuck."

Matilda

"Yeah, I can probably get ahold of whatever you need. Got a noisy job going? Anyway, I can get you some decent stuff by three days time, but anything heavy duty is probably gonna take a little longer."

Hack on the Fly Grid Hop defense: 11d6t5 5

Barely.

Host Defense against HotF: 12d6t5 4

No trouble grabbing the mark. You easily slip into the host; a giant steel pyramid covered in red and white flashing lights. You look around covertly, doing your best to remain inconspicuous while still being attentive to anything unusual.

Matrix Perception Opposed Test: 12d6t5 7

Ouch. At first glance, you don't notice anything running silently that you might like to exploit, and the basic metadata in the node seems well hidden as well. You do, however, see the node that would allow you to enter and edit legitimate appointments. It wouldn't make much sense for a system like that to run silently, perhaps to the detriment of S-K.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 20, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

OS is 9.

You find the file easily enough. A simple node resembling a computer monitor asking for information such as names, dates, appointments and such. You'll need to decrypt it, however, but the file is definitely in that node somewhere.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 22, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Blitz

Nothin'. You catch the 5 hellhounds wandering the grounds, but you don't pick up any sign of active magical security, although you're sure there must be some around here.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

HotF Defense: 12d6t5 3

No problem on the mark.

Crack Defense: 12d6t5 4

Close call on the crack, but you get in.

Matrix Perception Opposed Roll: 12d6t5 6

No Data Bombs that you can see... But why would a public node like this be rigged with Data Bombs? Right?

Edit File Opposed Roll: 14d6t5 1

You edit the poo poo out of that file. Appointment entered. All in all, a pretty clean Matrix run.

As to your question, I'd have to assume that since cyberholsters are almost exclusively made for shadowrunners, they would surely have some sort of defense built in against MAD scanners and the like. I'll treat them as rating 4 against a MAD scanner. And I agree with what you said earlier, this is a pretty fast way to handle non-combat Matrix actions, let's keep this type of thing up.

I'll post up the floorplan when I get home.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

As a note, basic legally obtainable stuff like climbing gear will certainly be provided without argument or question by Kim. The explosives and the rooftop will require a bit of negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

• Locked thread