Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I only played B2/W2 for the first time a little while ago. They have a LOT of stuff in them, although some of it is pretty dumb. I was also blown away by the fact that there is a Pokemon Center and a Pokemon Gym in the starting town. :aaa: This series is good at making really tiny changes seem like revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Actually, one of the best things about this and subsequent generations is that "rare" Pokemon pop up much more frequently. The rarest Pokemon in previous generations would pop up maybe 1% of the time, but now the lowest it gets is 5%. Of course, that's because GF introduced another tier of rarity with the shaking grass/dust clouds/whatevers, but the end effect is that when you walk through tall grass, you're more likely to see the actual full range of local Pokemon.

I DISAGREE. The shaking grass mechanic was a total pain in the dick, because the encounter tables were ridiculously skewed and you couldn't summon shaking grass on command the same way you could just walk/surf through areas. There's one area where there are three possible shaking grass encounters, but the distribution is like 90%/5%/5% and I went through 40-50 encounters without seeing that last one. Still, in a general sense, B2/W2 vastly improved upon the variety of monsters available from B1/W1.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Only in Sinnoh/Unova/X&Y games. HG/SS allows you to fight a stronger version of the Elite 4 teams in the post game (since they were locked to Gen 1/Gen 2 monsters the first time through) as part of the new content for the re-release.

You can re-fight HG/SS gym leaders, but only in a really roundabout and specific way. You need to phone them up, but to do that you need their numbers which can only be found in arbitrary and specific ways depending on the day of the week.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

He tries to return it in Hg/Ss, but Elm notes how close they've become and lets him properly keep it, so that makes up for it... I guess?

Wait I don't remember this part. I thought I got pretty far in that game. :psyduck:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I like the little asides that Vinny writes with every new catch.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Arcanine in B2/W2 is way too useful for Red to put in his team, it even gets Outrage now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Yeah the game was kind of spinning its wheels a bit here. I just wanna go to the next town guyyyys :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Lobsterhead posted:

As silly as Magma and Aqua are, I'm actually quite fond of them. They're stupidly endearing. They just want more land/sea guys! :downs:

For some reason I really remember one Magma grunt who complained to the player that he was patrolling next to a lava pit so one side of him would always be way too hot. Or maybe I was making that up?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kazy posted:

I made this thread some nondenominational December-themed gifts! A couple of Vinny's Pokédex entries brought to life, through the magic of ABS fume inhalation 3D printing!

Okay so you're a pretty cool dude.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Every complaint I've made about shaking grass in B/W/BW2, is actually about this little patch in Castelia. Still, I liked having a few more places to visit there in the sequels, park with annoying encounter rates included. :shobon:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

That sewer level felt like a deliberate troll. What other explanation for taking the most disliked level type and populating it with loving Zubats! :psyduck:

I liked it. :shobon: The other common encounter was Rattata and they both give speed EVs so I could level up in there and EV train without actually EV training.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Asator posted:

Talking about something other than fake eeveelutions (seriously why does that keep coming up), I see we're already getting into senseless roadblocks. We can't get to the garden while looking for Team Plasma because...someone dropped something. As much as I also hate Hugh, wouldn't it make more sense for him to drag you back if you tried to leave or something?

B2/W2 are basically the undisputed kings of the senseless roadblock. At some point they started getting so absurd that I just couldn't get mad at it anymore.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Asator posted:

Yeah, they eventually get to be utterly bizarre. But this one is one of the first and by far the most pointless, so it annoys me the most.

Oh, I'm not at all sure about that. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Chorocojo posted:

suddenly now all four of my guys are weak to Ground. Again.

I hate when that happens. :mad:

All my favorites are fire or steel or electric types. :(

edit: except Sigilyph

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Magicpokey posted:

I'm not sure if I prefer the constant, massive derails of previous Pokemon Lets Plays, or the near ghost town this one becomes a day or two after the latest update. Either way, it's not my call. And, in fact, my opinion doesn't matter at all.

***proceeds with lonely whistling.

I don't know if this experience is shared by everyone, but I didn't spend that long playing Black 2 or White 2 (I've ended up owning both, shameful) before X and Y came out. At least compared to some earlier generations that I sunk hours into. So I guess I don't have a lot to say about them right now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Colress was weird. Everything he did felt just kind of dropped on you - I never quite got a sense of what he wanted or why.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I heard that rumor on here before and I also heard that it wasn't true.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Since I've never done challenge mode, I was wondering what the "nasty surprise" on Onix was.

I wasn't disappointed. :supaburn:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I kind of liked this gym gimmick actually, not many of them rely on your timing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They probably figured out that constant cannonfire's bad for your hearing.

What? Oh, sorry!

I SAID; THEY PROBABLY FIGURED OUT THAT CONSTANT CANNON FIRE IS BAD FOR YOUR HEARING!

At least having loud things in Skyla's gym is thematically appropriate. Airplane engines are noisy too. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Like a lot of Pokemon dungeons Reversal Mountain would have been better with an encounter rate just that little bit lower.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Ramengank posted:

It's ripe material for a constantly shifting dungeon! (with a high chance of very fatal cave-ins) :v:

You know what worries me? In XY you can have wild Graveler "swoop down from the ceiling." They weigh like 500 pounds!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Man, male Jellicent were already pretty funny and you just made them better.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Then is there any point to him whatsoever? I always thought the point of Wally was "Kid you helped catch his Pokemon is now using that Pokemon to beat your rear end." If he's just "Weird kid has a Mega Gallade" then I don't want him to bother me. I'd rather have a few more matches with May.

That was sarcasm. :ssh:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Screw you guys, Sinnoh was great. Though it's tough to go back to, simply because of the slower animation and text speeds and the long-overdue quality of life features introduced from BW1 onwards. The world map felt so much more organic and intricate than Unova's giant donut that you were locked out of half of until the end.

edit: tracking the wandering legendaries was kind of a bitch though

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Cyrus being the villain he is in a Pokemon game still surprises me.

It's pretty funny how he goes, "yeah, I made it all up, tee hee" after his speech in Platinum though.

Also his battle music is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Guys I haven't played OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire yet don't spoil it for… as if it even matters, but seriously, there's a thread in Games for this.

• Locked thread