Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

McDragon posted:

Best bit of medals is when you ignore medal guy for a bit and then he gives you like fifty all at once. Well, I say all at once, what I mean is one after the other. It can take a while sometimes. Really liked the medal system in this. The milestone ones are nice to see how far you've been, and the more interesting ones are often quite fun to go after.

Yeah, I really love the Milestone medals and the... discovery/special medals by far. Those were where I really felt it shined. There were some medals though that really really bothered me however.

Hopefully there won't be too many instances of Jawnie lazing around now :P (Although, I enjoyed seeing all the drawings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

KataraniSword posted:

Jawnie won't be lazing around at all unless she gains roughly ten levels between each gym, as the "obedience" threshold jumps from 20-30-40 and so on in increments of 10 levels, until the final badge is finally just "traded pokemon don't sass back". Considering she ended the battle at L13, she'd need to gain 8 levels before or during the next gym to be disobedient, and the gap will keep growing.

I'm pretty sure that ultimately, the disobedience mechanic is more meant to make sure that you don't just take that L100 Event Arceus you got and just steamroll the entire game with it. Well, you still WILL, but it'll still be a bumpy killdozer ride.

Yeah, I know how it works, but I would't be surprised if she leveled pretty fast too with the higher experience for traded Pokemon. Though, maybe it's just me who managed to end up getting a Pokemon right to that point when I hit a gym.

That and the so people don't just trade their party over from their last game and wipe everything.

Judge Tesla - That actually still bugs me because I don't think the series will ever let Ash get that far again. :(

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Arcade Rabbit posted:

For the past few years Pokemon has had a bad habit of implementing good (or at least interesting) ideas for a game, promoting the hell out of it, and then dropping it forever. The Habitat List, Cheren, and Bianca are super useful in this game and I love them. Naturally, they did not transfer to X/Y or have any analogues to that game. PokemonAmie? Unless the next games are X2/Y2 I can guarantee you that it won't show up in the next released Pokemon games and the one pokemon that needs it for evolution will just be given a hold item to substitute for it like Feebas was.

Pokemon contests and associated stats, pokemon following behind you out in the field, the pokewalker, customizable Safari Zone, the Dreamworld. I get that there's limited room on the card, but still. Ditch the fluffy stuff liek pokemon following you, but at least keep that stuff like the Habitat List that provides a genuine benefit for us.

It makes me so sad that they put so much effort into some features and just drop them. The Secret Hideouts are still some of my favorites and while the Underground in D/P was neat, it wasn't nearly as awesome.

I suppose the "working at the same time" idea makes sense though--but only for more recent games. There's still a lot of older features that were really popular and people would like to see again that were just dropped. I mean, they finally brought back a Pokemon following you with HG/SS and making it more than just a Pikachu...and then they dropped it again X__x

I have to say though, I feel really silly for never knowing about the Habitat feature--I haven't looked in my Pokedex for ages finding there wasn't really anything neat enough to get my attention. That feature probably would've actually made me use it again. I was all excited to check X/Y for it and then was massively disappointed (although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised) reading further down the line that it was removed </3

But yes, poor Cheren. Kind of scared to think how their gym battle may have went. I wonder if Bianca would be able to withstand Hugh's... Hugh-ness.

Sakuramei fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 4, 2013

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Raitzeno posted:

Wrong. I spent so much loving time in that digging minigame, holy poo poo. I would love to see that return.

The digging aspect was amazing--I just meant as a sequel to secret hideouts, that particular feature seemed like a let-down for me. Even after I got all the rocks gone, the item limit was atrocious (I had like... a few items around the sides and then all this empty space in the center), and the hideouts weren't very...well, different. There was something neat about making a hideout in a tree or by a rock or etc. And these were just all in the same place in the same layout and the only way you could make them "better" was by catching people to get your flag up and remove rocks... and that was mostly for appearances since as I said, you could barely put any items in. At least it felt like I could make a Secret Hideout homely.

But I do agree the digging minigame was a lot of fun as was some of the other features (like playing hide and seek with friends). As I said, my comment was solely focusing on just the secret hideout function of it :P Which in comparison, just didn't seem nearly as awesome to me.

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Nihilarian posted:

Still not seeing the appeal. Oh well.

For me, it was part of how it almost felt like a puzzle (even though the answer is more or less given to you if you look at everything enough) to complete each scenario--although, I can think of one or two I had to do several times because it ended up depending more on luck for the Good ending >_> That got annoying fast.

Seeing the contrast between Rosa and Vinny makes me wonder what would happen if the two ended up meeting.

Sakuramei fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 20, 2013

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Nihilarian posted:

I don't remember a contract. I think you mean contrast?

Yes, thank you. XD Feel silly I didn't notice that typo </3

Mors Rattus - Agreed ^^; I just purposely didn't mention those as I wasn't sure if that'd be considered a spoiler.

But yes, looking forward to Vinny's continued adventures and Rosa's continued movie enthusiasm :3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Bamboomancer posted:

The movie studio was a weird thing for me. I liked the concept. Like, a lot. Puzzles in Pokemon? It's kinda cool!

But... crits. You shouldn't have puzzles if you can't be deterministic. Some of the later ones get kinda cool, but even then it's like "Well, I have to do this 20 turn thing but if he leech seeds me and it hits then I can't win!"

So, interesting concept, poor execution, good source of lemonades.

Yeah, the crits were the huge issue. I love puzzles, but when it's based more on luck than logic, it kind of ruins the point. I still definitely enjoyed them, but having to constantly go through the dialogue because something out of your control messes up was terrible. And it worked both ways--sometimes you had to get a crit (although, not as often as you had to make sure you didn't or they didn't) to "pass". The strange endings were even more frustrating at parts.

If they removed the luck concept of it though, I'd love to see something like that return again. It doesn't have to be movies, but I found the concept enjoyable and fresh.

Valgaav - I wish. The protagonists get some really nice outfits in the story. I definitely have a few favorites I'd have loved if I could actually "take home" and wear. Heck, that would've been a great feature of the room you get as a "prize" for finishing... Instead of it just being, well, a room that you look at. I'd like to think if that feature made it in the new games, you actually could unlock the outfits to change into... Now I'm really sad it wasn't.

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Silegna posted:

You know, the whole competitive scene kinda craps on that ideal. I mean if it isn't perfect, you throw it out. Seems contradictory to most messages in pokemon.

That is actually why I never understood how Competitive Battling became so popular. Just seems to ruin the point. I mean, the whole thing is going on a journey and forming bonds and whatnot.

But yeah, I'm also on the "didn't use Lucario" in my playthrough--I essentially used the same party I used in B/W (I traded over low level ones to level up then). I like using the same party per generation... though, I think I'm the exception with that. I've never minded Lucario's design, but I've never used him. Besides the one time you're forced to in X/Y

Cleretic posted:

As bad as Castelia could be, at least I could navigate it by methods more reliable than 'educated guess'. Same can't be said for Lumiose.

Yeah... I definitely got lost in Castelia quite a bit and had issues from time to time looking for buildings that were off to the side, but it took me ages to get used to the camera in Lumiose. I figured out where some buildings were overtime, but I did use the taxis more than heading to places... I'm just happy that option existed.

Sakuramei fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's interesting to think about, because there's obvious merit to just making all these hidden values and modifiers completely transparent in-game to all players. Yet there's something to be said for just keeping all the immediate available information as simple as possible and not making things any more difficult for your 10-year old audience than it needs to be.

Thinking about it now though I'm surprised the type chart doesn't cause more problems for casual players. Heck I forget certain matchups still and I've been playing this game for almost two decades.

It's probably because even with all the different types, it's not always a straight 2x/4x thing--many are just 1x to eachother. Not to mention some of the more obvious ones (Water would be better against fire, fire would be better against grass) as well.

But yeah, I still like just picking my favorite Pokemon of the region and having a team I love even if their stats stink. I just wish I could still "complete" the game in a sense, but I do not have the luck for the Battle Frontier things in each region.

Manatee Cannon - I always felt that was part of the endgame stuff. Though, most people I know who do the competitive stuff do just do it for online play.

Sakuramei fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 28, 2014

• Locked thread