Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm surprised to hear so many people never finished Black 2. I can see how you would rate it as meh overall, but I became strangely attached to it. I played through that game to a completion level that I'd only previously reached with HeartGold and that's my favorite. I guess the plot didn't bother me because I just never pay attention to Pokemon Plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I loved the appearance of Mawile ever since Ruby when I first saw it, but I've never added him to my team. He violate my "All non legendary team members must evolve" rule. I admit it's silly, but I've been doing it since Red. As such, I'm excited to see the strength of another monster I overlooked. That's why Red's LPs are always entertaining.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hey now, Flareon is a beast in his own right. I'm physically incapable of hearing a word against any Eeveelution.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think the sudden weakness Red's entire team has to ground is evidence that we need Eevee to come back and be Vaporeon. Problem solved.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roger Explosion posted:

Without grinding, I was 4-17 levels above anything Diantha threw at me.

...what. I was anywhere from 10-15 levels lower. The only reason I survived is due to luck, items, and type match ups. That new type is a doozy to beat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Anywhere even remotely dark is an excuse for Nintendo to plug us with Zubat/Golbat. I'm just waiting for the dungeon cruel enough for wild Crobat. Unfortunately, I never really understood the AR thing, so I passed on the genies' weird form. I prefer their normal forms anyway. Reading this LP shows me just how little attention I paid to B2. I really rushed through, I guess I didn't enjoy it much. Choco, is there any reason you're underleveled? Is it just a byproduct have having 6 dudes and not enough exp to go around?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Chorocojo posted:

I'm not gonna lie, that is one of the couple of reasons the updates slowed down once I hit Castelia: the game really hits retreadville until about here. The game is about to get balls-out stupid, I swear.

It's weird, because this LP has made me question why I didn't like B2 all that much. I recently replayed B1 and I still really enjoyed that. I'm hoping these next few updates will remind me before I play through it myself and find out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wait, I'm lost, because I beat Black 2 eons ago and I don't remember. Is Heatran really not there? After all of that? Then what was the point?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Crosspeice posted:

Quite a few Pokemon have awkward movepools when they're introduced and you have to wait a few gens to have their movepool properly fleshed out. Gen I had this in spades, since every other move was a normal type move and some types were mostly unusable (Bug, Ghost, Dragon). It's good to see that nearly twenty years on, some Pokemon have been given new life with great moves and abilities.

Another tough Pokemon to raise in this game is Volcarona, who can use Fire Spin and Bug Bite. At least you can tutor on Signal Beam and Heat Wave and you can also get Flamethrower eventually. It was tough, but also quite fun. Now it's a murdering machine, but Volcarona are.

Flareon jumps to mind. I think that's one of the Pokemon that took the longest to get a decent moveset.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Manatee Cannon posted:

They actually remove his first appearance and now he just pops up out of nowhere in Victory Road, then disappears just as quickly after the fight.

Then is there any point to him whatsoever? I always thought the point of Wally was "Kid you helped catch his Pokemon is now using that Pokemon to beat your rear end." If he's just "Weird kid has a Mega Gallade" then I don't want him to bother me. I'd rather have a few more matches with May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MissileWaster posted:

Gen 5 almost killed my interest in the Pokemon series, which has been one of my favorite series since Red and Blue came out when I was a kid. I didn't even bother going through Victory Road to the Elite 4 in Black 2, I hit the point where the story was done and said alright, this was terrible, I'm done. I almost didn't pick up X/Y, but I'm glad I did because it was really good and I'd recommend giving it a look!

I'm glad Red is doing this LP, there's some aspects of the game I didn't do (like the flashback stuff and movie studio), although I still don't regret not playing Gen 5 fully.

I'm actually putting a lot of stock into ORAS, because I found Black 2 to be boring and Pokemon Y to be worse. I almost didn't bother finishing Pokemon Y, I just forced myself because I hate not finishing games. Plus I felt like it would be a waste of money otherwise. It's the ONLY Pokemon game where I didn't do a single post game quest. None at all. Even B2 I actually...I actually did every single one. It was like I couldn't stand the main game, but the post game all flowed to me.

• Locked thread