Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Android
An open source (sort of) operating system designed by Google to run on a a myriad of products that range from phones and tablets to set-top boxes and refrigerators.

Android, its competition and stuff you want
Right now there are three major players in the mobile space; Google's Android, Apple's iOS and Microsoft's Windows somethingorother. Android allows for greater customization that tailors to the user's preferences but comes at a cost of the OS or apps being unintuitive or just being wonky. Apple's approach is much more structured which leads to high stability and predictability but at a less personal experience. Both have their pros and cons. Windows has squares. One of the biggest draws to Android is its ability to tie directly into all of your favorite Google services like GMail, GCal, Drive, etc for a much more integrated experience. Android also has a fantastic set of sharing API's allowing you to use content however you like; sharing data between apps, sharing content to social media services and sharing content to cloud services all seamlessly.

Version history
Google names Android releases after things that make you fat in alphabetical order.
- 1.0 & 1.1: Android's initial release.
- 1.5: Cupcake
- 1.6: Donut
- 2.0 & 2.1: Eclair
- 2.2.x: FroYo
- 2.3.x: Gingerbread
- 3.x: Honeycomb (Tablet only, what later versions of Android are based on, abandoned)
- 4.0.x: Ice Cream Sandwich
- 4.1.x / 4.2.x / 4.3.x: Jellybean
- 4.4: Kitkat

Android and hardware OEM's and the Nexus line
Hardware OEM's put their own spin on Android for devices that they sell to consumers. This changes the core Android user experience by generally adding features or changing the overall aesthetic. Sometimes these are good changes with awesome features and sometimes they're poo poo. We complain about them here but don't let that deter you because we're just a bunch of nerds that cry about a pure Android experience. Samsung's spin on Android is TouchWhiz, HTC has Sense, LG failed GUI Design 101, and Motorola tends to leave the majority of things alone. Are these OS changes worse than base Android? Not necessary, you might like the added features. Just use one to see if you like it. In rare instances these OS changes can cause weirdness with apps you find on the Play Store but for the most part it's a non issue. One of the largest downsides to OEM/carrier devices are their slower uptake on Android updates. When Google pushes a new version of Android both the OEM and carrier go through a modification and approval process that can sometimes take a significant amount of time (6+ months). It's worth noting, however, that this matters less and less. As Android evolves Google has divorced many of its services and apps from the core OS and made them available on the Play Store.

Nexus devices are phones and tablets sold by Google that has directly partnered with an OEM for this particular device. They are generally refreshed once a year and introduce Google's newest version of Android. They tend to be close in specs to other flagship devices on the market, sold completely unlocked and generally at half the cost of a top tier device from a carrier. Additionally, updates come directly from the horse's mouth, Google, without having to wait around for the OEM or your carrier to approve it. Downsides? Google cut's corners to keep the cost down so flagship devices will generally edge out a Nexus device in terms of camera, battery life or expandable storage/battery.

Root and ROM's
Root and ROM's allow users to do neat things like ad block at the OS level and dig deeper into the core OS to make system level changes. This involves a fair amount of hackery and nerd talk. You also run the risk of damaging your device and voiding your device's warranty. Play at your own risk. The root/ROM community outside of SA is also horribly infantile and generally insufferable. You can talk about this in SA's own root thread. Addition resources would be XDA and Rootzwiki.

Horrible poo poo everyone loves to complain about
  • Removable batteries vs Sealed and SD vs Internal. Read this and don't post about it.
  • The Patent Wars - Everyone is suing everyone. This doesn't effect you.
  • Task Managers - Don't. They're terrible and will hurt your phone's performance in the long run. Android manages system resources better than you do.
  • :siren: Phones forum poster Doctor rear end in a top hat hates - Currently the LG G2, Galaxy S4 and Note 3. :siren:

Latest and Greatest: KitKat
  • Lower system requirements
  • Increased NFC Tap-to-Pay functionality
  • Cloud Print
  • Storage framework improvements
  • Low power sensors for stuff like Fitbit
  • Unified SMS provider
  • Full screen Immersive Mode
  • Minor GUI changes
  • Screen recording over USB
Click here for details

Misc Resources
- SA Tablet Thread
- SA Forum Viewer
- SA homescreen thread
- SA app thread
- SA Android games thread
- Previous Android phone thread
- Google Play

Devices you should consider

HTC One

Moto X

Droid Maxx

Galaxy S4

Nexus 5

LG G2

Galaxy Note 3

OP note: I don't know why I switch form list to hyphens and don't care enough to fix it.

Mod note:
If you aren't willing to unroot and un-custom-ROM your phone before asking for help, your question should go to the rooted thread. If you're positive your issue has nothing to do with rooting or your custom ROM, go ahead and post it here. God help you if you're wrong about your custom ROM (or rooting or whatever) not being the issue.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It looks like you left out the words "Devices you should not consider" above the G2.

e: Also the list of phones I currently hate should include the S4 and the Note 3.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Devices you should consider

Droid RAZR MAXX

This is quite possibly the greatest phone I have ever owned. Echoing the recommendation for the MAXX.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't do this. You're messing it up by disabling and force closing manufacturing stuff. Reenable the Motorola ota app, restart your phone, and be patient.

I had my phone on all throughout last night, and the update never moved from 0%. Whatever the problem is, waiting isn't going to fix it. I restarted my phone and the OTA app is running again, but I'm sill getting the same problems. Factory reset, maybe? I just got the phone yesterday so it shouldn't be too big of a deal to do that.

Also, thanks for making a new thread right after I asked my question. :qq:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
You could try using logcat to find out the URL of the update and download it with something else.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You've got the right picture there but your link points at last year's model. This is the one you want.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Rusty! posted:

You could try using logcat to find out the URL of the update and download it with something else.

I don't think I'm smart enough to use something like that but ok I'll give it a shot

e: what is going on

Klewer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 9, 2013

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Would you like my excel sheet for the OP?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I bought Tasker and set it up to have a sleep mode with certain contacts allowed (used pre-made profiles from the help), and set it up to have a text popup that says The Internet Makes You Stupid every time Awful is launched. Otherwise, this app is way too advanced to guess your way through setting things up.

What do you use Tasker for?

E: also can't get LightFlow to work at all..Any special settings needed for a N5?

CloFan fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Copying over from my XDA post in case anyone cares. :v:

I got bored and scoured both android.com and developers.android.com for the differences between the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 running Android 4.4. By my guess, this is what we can expect for the Nexus 4 OTA.

Nexus 4:
  • Fullscreen album/movie art on lockscreen
  • Fullscreen Immersion
  • Faster Multitasking
  • Android 4.4 dialer
  • Smart Caller ID
  • Hangouts SMS + MMS
  • Emoji Everywhere
  • Cloud Print built-in
  • File Managing
  • Bluetooth MAP support
  • Chrome web view
  • Closed Captioning
  • Redesigned Downloads app
  • Home Screen Switching
  • Redesigned Email app
  • GPU Acceleration

Nexus 5:
Everything from the Nexus 4 list plus:

• Transparent Notification and Navigation Bar (maybe)
  • HDR+
  • Low-power audio playback
  • Touchscreen Improvements
  • Sensor Batching
  • Step detector and counter
  • Audio Tunneling to DSP
  • W-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast
  • Google Experience Launcher (includes "Ok Google" on home screens and swiping to the left for Google Now)

I’m not sure if transparent navigation/notification bars are exclusive or not to the Nexus 5 because Android.com claims it is:

quote:

Full-screen wallpapers with preview
Your wallpaper now extends through the notification tray and system buttons. And when you change your wallpaper, you can preview just how it will look before you set it.*

While developer.android.com doesn’t mention this at all:

quote:

Translucent system UI styling
To get the most impact out of your content, you can now use new window styles and themes to request translucent system UI, including both the status bar and navigation bar. To ensure the legibility of navigation bar buttons or status bar information, subtle gradients is shown behind the system bars. A typical use-case would be an app that needs to show through to a wallpaper.

To be honest, it feels like the Nexus 4 is getting changes to what the user sees while most of the behind the scenes improvements (audio tunnelling, sensor batching, and low-power audio playback for example) are specific to the Nexus 5.

Still not sure what's going on with the translucent UI but, to be honest, I don't think 4.4 will mean much for Nexus 4 owners and will feel just like Jelly Bean with a (not so new) look.

Sources:
http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html

However, as explained to me, the transparent bars come from the OS itself, not the launcher so the default 4.4 launcher might not have it but apps like Nova Launcher probably will. Still hoping the default one will at least.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
I'm having a weird problem with my phone that I'm too stupid to figure out, and googling just brings up custom keyboard stuff.

Basically, the button popout (when you press a key and the letter pops out to show what your pressing) and the predictive words above the keyboard have turned from blue to grey. This isn't really a big deal, actually I kind of prefer it, but I have no idea how this changed (happened after a reboot) or how to change it back. Phone is a galaxy nexus. Has anyone experienced this or knows how to change the color of the popout/predictive text?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

dahkren posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my phone that I'm too stupid to figure out, and googling just brings up custom keyboard stuff.

Basically, the button popout (when you press a key and the letter pops out to show what your pressing) and the predictive words above the keyboard have turned from blue to grey. This isn't really a big deal, actually I kind of prefer it, but I have no idea how this changed (happened after a reboot) or how to change it back. Phone is a galaxy nexus. Has anyone experienced this or knows how to change the color of the popout/predictive text?

It's not a problem Google changed it in the latest update

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

CloFan posted:

I bought Tasker and set it up to have a sleep mode with certain contacts allowed (used pre-made profiles from the help), and set it up to have a text popup that says The Internet Makes You Stupid every time Awful is launched. Otherwise, this app is way too advanced to guess your way through setting things up.

E: also can't get LightFlow to work at all..Any special settings needed for a N5?

I did what LastInLine here said and Light Flow works well for me.

LastInLine posted:

In Hangouts, go to Settings and you'll have two options: one is your GMail account and the other is SMS. Both have their own notification settings where you'll want to ensure both Notifications options are checked. I prefer IM to have no vibration or sound and SMS to have both (since I rarely get SMS) but it doesn't matter.

In LightFlow, under Settings I have only the following options checked:
-Enable Light Flow
-Reset color before change
-Enable "Clear All"
-Accessibility check
-Version upgrade reminder

Under Notifications go to the Hangouts section and use "Hangouts - all notification types" to have it always be one color, then set "Hangouts - chat" to another color to have IMs be a different color. Seems like with the latter configuration you'll see the two colors alternate on IMs unless you change Notification Method (on Battery/on Charge) to not cycle.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I will confirm that the N5 screen is polarized in such a way that it is barely visible in landscape mode through polarized glasses. This is different from other phones in that regard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

SB35 posted:

Unfortunately the latest Light Flow update (which ironically was to fix it for the N5 and explicitly support Hangouts SMS/MMS) broke this for me. It seemed that it turned it off in Accessibility and it's made Hangouts notifications slow and unreliable. Even testing things usually fails now for me.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

kitten smoothie posted:

You've got the right picture there but your link points at last year's model. This is the one you want.

Reiterating this. I almost made the mistake of buying the Razr MAXX in store when I upgraded because there were so many droid/hd/maxx/razr permutations. All Droids are subordinate the purity of the Droid MAXX.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bam thwok posted:

Reiterating this. I almost made the mistake of buying the Razr MAXX in store when I upgraded because there were so many droid/hd/maxx/razr permutations. All Droids are subordinate the purity of the Droid MAXX.

It is a great phone but the naming scheme just reiterates how much Verizon hates their customers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

It is a great phone but the naming scheme just reiterates how much Verizon hates their customers.

It's not purely a Verizon phenomenon. I'm finding a lot of tech things these days are using names that suck rear end for searching.

I mean, look at what HTC did.

Last year they had the One X, One S, One V. Now they just distilled it down to the One. And when you do searches, now you get all the others in the mix.

Then there's google who named two devices exactly the same (Nexus 7).

It goes on and on. The correct phrase is all companies hate their customers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Perhaps the customers are deserving of hate?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LastInLine posted:

Unfortunately the latest Light Flow update (which ironically was to fix it for the N5 and explicitly support Hangouts SMS/MMS) broke this for me. It seemed that it turned it off in Accessibility and it's made Hangouts notifications slow and unreliable. Even testing things usually fails now for me.

Gah. Maybe I haven't seen that update yet. It was totally working yesterday!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kitten smoothie posted:

Corrected, thanks.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nexus 5:
  • HDR+
  • Low-power audio playback
  • Touchscreen Improvements
  • Sensor Batching
  • Audio Tunneling to DSP
  • Google Experience Launcher (includes "Ok Google" on home screens and swiping to the left for Google Now)
This stuff is probably the only stuff I'll really be missing out on with the N4 (and the battery saving stuff just sounds cool, I don't know how effective it actually is)

What is "HDR+"? The N4 does HDR in the camera, how is HDR+ different? Software?

What are the touchscreen improvements?

And my last question, I see "swipe left" a lot, and it confuses me. Does it mean "swipe from right to left", which would go to the screen to the right? Or "swipe left to right", which would go to the screen to the left? To me, "swipe left" means go right to left, but for some reason I thought the Now screen was to the left of the home screen.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

CloFan posted:

Currently I use tasker too:

Shut off mobile data when I am connected to WiFi (I know the phone is supposed to do this anyway, but I notice a difference)

Lower my ringtone/alert volumes when I am at work, and raise them back up when I am not

Max my voice volume when using navigation,and mute the media volume otherwise

Other stuff I am forgetting.

Basically I use it to be contextually aware of where I am and what I am doing,and adjust my phone accordingly

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

myron cope posted:

And my last question, I see "swipe left" a lot, and it confuses me. Does it mean "swipe from right to left", which would go to the screen to the right? Or "swipe left to right", which would go to the screen to the left? To me, "swipe left" means go right to left, but for some reason I thought the Now screen was to the left of the home screen.

On the GE launcher you swipe to the screen to the left of the homescreen to find Google Now.

Google Now <-> Homescreen <-> Additional User Created Screens.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006

Rusty! posted:

It's not a problem Google changed it in the latest update

Ah, okay, wicked. Thanks!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

SB35 posted:

Thanks. Still couldn't get it to work, the I saw I had "Pulse Notification Light" unmarked in Settings-> Display. Once I marked that, all was well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any handy guide out there to get someone up to snuff when switching from something like a Optimus V to the Nexus 5? Or even a guide for people new to Android when it comes to features and apps and such? I'm a little overwhelmed here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Is there any handy guide out there to get someone up to snuff when switching from something like a Optimus V to the Nexus 5? Or even a guide for people new to Android when it comes to features and apps and such? I'm a little overwhelmed here.
Here's the support page. The other Nexus devices have a guidebook on Google Play Books but the 5 doesn't seem to yet. Are there any specific things you want to know about?

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Ordered 2 white 32 Gig Nexus 5's on Friday around 1, here's to hoping they ship before Nov. 22nd. Pretty excited to try them out on T-Mo, I've been using a cheap rear end Samsung flip phone for a phone, and my old Verizon Droid Razr as a Android "Media Player" since I left Verizon. Pretty excited to use just one for everything again.

Edit: Feedmyleg; there isn't a specific Nexus 5 book in the play store, but there is a general KitKat book in the store. https://play.google.com/store/books...aign%3Dbloglink

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Are there any known issues about WiFi direct between different devices not working?
My Sprint Note2 doesn't seem to want to talk with a Nexus 7 or TF700T.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Klewer posted:

I had my phone on all throughout last night, and the update never moved from 0%. Whatever the problem is, waiting isn't going to fix it. I restarted my phone and the OTA app is running again, but I'm sill getting the same problems. Factory reset, maybe? I just got the phone yesterday so it shouldn't be too big of a deal to do that.

Also, thanks for making a new thread right after I asked my question. :qq:

Sure, factory reset it. It's not going to make anything worse.

Your original post went "I disabled the app my phone uses to get OTAs and now I can't get OTAs." My phone got the update while I was off wifi, too. When I got on wifi, it downloaded it and installed fine. I did not gently caress with the behind the scenes process at any point, and had success.

If something on your phone doesn't work, don't start messing with behind the scenes stuff you don't understand. You'll probably gently caress it up.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Mediaserver kept my Nexus 5 awake for 10 hours. Surprised it didn't drain the battery more.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Mediaserver kept my Nexus 5 awake for 10 hours. Surprised it didn't drain the battery more.

I think I'm more impressed that you've got that much battery left after 10 hours of awake time than I am surprised about Mediaserver shenanigans.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It looks like you left out the words "Devices you should not consider" above the G2.

e: Also the list of phones I currently hate should include the S4 and the Note 3.

My G2 will be here tuesday. I'm psyched. Weeeeeeeee

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

My G2 will be here tuesday. I'm psyched. Weeeeeeeee
Did you manage to get it for $200 during the Amazon screw up?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Corrected, thanks.

Pedantic maybe but you still call it the RAZR MAXX when it's just the Droid Maxx (DROID MAXX?)

So to further clarify the Motorola RAZR MAXX is a 2012 phone and not the new 2013 Motorola Droid Maxx.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ever since I updated to 4.3 on my S4, I get a notification that something tried to access a secure portion of the phone and to update my policy. What the hell is this crap?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CloFan posted:

I have it read any new texts aloud to me when it's connected to my car's Bluetooth.

Dishonest Résumé
Nov 28, 2003

You don't mean Communists do you, Sam?
I got my Nexus 5 in the mail yesterday. I used it all afternoon, charged it overnight, and then took it to work this morning. It stayed in my pocket for 5 hours till my lunch break, and when I pulled it out, the battery was down to 35 percent.

I looked at the usage stats and it was almost entirely screen usage, but I hadn't even touched the phone all day. By the end of my shift, after 8 hours with a grand total of 20 minutes of usage, the battery was dead.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but should I be worried? Does the battery just need to complete a cycle? Is my screen staying on for some reason?

I just upgraded from the original HTC Evo 4g, so I'm a little clueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like Google's wanting to drop Dalvik as soon as possible, if that interview's to be believed:

http://readwrite.com/2013/11/07/google-says-it-could-replace-dalvik-runtime-in-next-version-of-android

• Locked thread