Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Man, if No Mercy hadn't been canceled, that would have been brutal. Having a Panzer Army eliminated on the first turn for the Germans is about as bad as it can get

^^^Do you mean the Dnepr? The Desna isn't big enough to make it onto a map of this scale, I'm pretty sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Both sides are due for a few more counters, but not enough for one unit in every space (at least until the front line hits the pre-1941 borders). However, since units must stop when entering an enemy ZOC and cannot move directly from ZOC to ZOC, a unit in every other hex is essentially a solid front line (you can get away with a unit in every third hex if the positioning is right, but there's usually a possibility of being surrounded like the Soviet West front so every other hex is safer)

Edit: Remember these are German armies and Soviet fronts, so in real life they cover more space than just one hex, which is what ZOCs are representing

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 26, 2013

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Arcturas posted:

I'm not playing, but I'm curious. Why not use the blitzes to help your other attacks? Do they carry over from turn to turn?

They'll last into the Soviet turn, so sometimes it's worth saving one if you plan to do a counterblow that will give you a counterattack opportunity. They don't last past the end of the game turn though, so usually it's best to spend them on the attack since you can almost never be sure about what counterblow possibilities you'll have

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
It's by no means a killer, since there's a counterblow phase plus an axis attack phase (remember unsupplied units still attack at full power) to restore a supply line and Leningrad is still falling. You won't take Moscow now, and might even get thrown back behind the woods, but I'd say the axis still has a slight advantage in this game.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Rules clarification: White strength units cannot have counterblows placed on them through discarding (they can't attack and a counterblow represents a sort of spoiling attack is the reasoning), so the Ostatky can't receive a marker.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

cokerpilot posted:

Have we now?

Unless you're putting the railed unit back there in the most spectacularly pointless move of all time (or I suppose if you have a card to get a unit there, which probably exists though I can't remember offhand what it would be).

Edit: I suppose you could be bouncing it out to avoid a counterblow, but that would be a very big gamble due to certain cards

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 18, 2013

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Also keep in mind that the designer continuously tinkers with his games (the GMT ruleset that this LP is using for NR!1 is quite different from the original ruleset for the game, with the addition of counterblows being the biggest change) so the game has probably changed somewhat from the initial VPG edition based on feedback and experience. I know my largest complaint was that playing the period before Rommel arrives was essentially pointless since it amounts to British units powering across the map with the Italians helpless to stop them no matter what the players do. I imagine that he's tried to improve that issue along with some others, so I'm looking forward to seeing reports from people who P500'ed the new edition (Tekopo).

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Those two cards don't make a unit exchange with itself or anything weird like that. The first one says all DR results are EX instead. The second one says that the combat involving the soviets attacking 9th army is an automatic DR. Since the first card converts DRs to EXs, the combat is an automatic EX, which means 9th army loses a step and is eliminated and one of the attacking Soviet units also loses a step and is eliminated.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Yeah, seeing as how DR means death, I think it's fair to allow the Germans to take back that play, since no one playing in a live format would continue on to play that card after Hold at All Costs got canceled.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Is the third panzer likely to escape, or are they boned?

Establishing a supply line is as simple as moving one of the units in Smolensk one space since units negate ZOC for the purposes of supply. Also, since units can move from ZOC to ZOC if they're moving onto a friendly unit, 3rd panzer could move out onto the unit establishing the supply line if OKH wants to move it back to a safer position. So the answer to your question is: they are quite capable of escaping, but who knows what the German command will actually do.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I was just answering the question about game mechanics to explain how supply and movement in ZOCs work. I will express no opinion as to whether the example I gave would be a good strategy until after the inevitable comedic German argument time (aka the German turn).

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Army Group Entrenched Mongoose is now my new favorite formation for obvious reasons

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tevery Best posted:

As I mentioned in both sides' docs, I had already pushed the deadline until tomorrow. I thought I was thus setting it for today, but I was wrong. Which means I originally needlessly pushed it a day more than I intended to have it.

But it's all turning out for the best, since I feel incredibly awful tonight and it's nearly the final exam session and I'm completely out of order tonight, so my prescience has struck again!

Side note: I've started a solo game two days ago, since I didn't have a chance to play NR myself for a while. I'm on Turn 6 and boy, do I suck as the Soviets. I've lost Leningrad already, there's a major push for Moscow, the south is quite tenuous, there's a decent chance of Sevastopol falling in the summer... I did take out half of AGN, including the Panzers, in one fell swoop during their ill-fated winter operations north of Moscow, so there's that, at least.

There's also the fact that we started this LP on November 9, on November 26 Paradis tweaked the rules again, allowing the Germans to keep all six cards on Turn 1 (which itself is a return to an older ruleset, because Paradis literally puts out more balance patches than some MMO makers), making Barbarossa all the more brutal.

Oh man, we're back to the 6 card Barbarossa now? That makes surrounding West front and using counterblows to get the surrender and advance your units a lot easier, plus gives more chances for the dreaded +move cards. Any other big changes with the newest release?

Edit: Also, if you're interested in playing the #boardgoons IRC tends to have a decent collection of wargamers who play via VASSAL

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
They're obviously going there to provide security for the Winter Olympics (Sochi is just a bit further southeast along the coast)

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I like to picture the supply boats for the 2nd Army and Crimean front steaming past each other as the sailors awkwardly wave at each other.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
The biggest issue for the Axis was that they sent so much force up to Leningrad and failed to do anything with it. They've still got an intact Panzer army sitting up there not contributing to the major battles in the center of the front. It has seemed like they've had worse than usual luck too (see their most recent rolls), but I haven't checked to see if that's real or just confirmation bias.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Still waiting for Operation Restore Geographic Accuracy to Front Names

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I've never seen a game result in [possible spoilers re: victory conditions here] a Soviet Sudden Death victory before 1945, so I'm pretty excited about that possibility.

Hopefully if that happens there will be another game so that we can see a more even playthrough as well.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Didn't the Germans just have a unit put in the wrong place because Tevery did their orders wrong and the Soviets argued that it shouldn't be changed? Seems like miscommunications and the like are an expected consequence of the format to a certain degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
It seems like most games of this I've seen/played involve one of the Axis minors getting amazing rolls and punching way above their weight for most of the game. It tends to be the Hungarians for me though, such as one game I played where the valiant 6 month Hungarian defense of Kiev saved Germany from the Russians (they held out just long enough to get me the Operational Victory).

• Locked thread