Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Asehujiko posted:

Those guys would be the best (posthumous) tank aces in the world by a wide margin if frostbite was considered a legitimate method of scoring kills with a tank.

I don't think it's unreasonable to credit them with those kills; sure they didn't personally kill anyone but they deliberately set up the situation that would do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Asehujiko posted:

I can understand why it's not counted because that opens a can of worms about how "indirect" your kills can be. It's still a remarkable feat of of self sacrifice and lateral thinking, I doubt many would see an enemy column and think "We should die in a matter that is the most inconvenient for them" and not "welp time to surrender and pray they aren't too sold on that slav=untermensch idea".

True, but I think "Deliberately parking your wrecked tank such that it blocks the only way through a massive forest during blizzard season" should be countable. The placement of the tank was deliberate and the outcome of doing so (shittons of dudes dying from frostbite because the germans can't get past the 45 ton wreck) is an ovbious result of that action.

I just feel that indirect kills should be credited when the actions taken were deliberate and the kills an intended result of the actions. If you deliberately set up a situation where a bunch of people die, even if you didn't kill anyone personally you're still responsible for those deaths and in a combat environment you should get credit for them dammit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Unless a lot more counters come into play I don't think a 'well defined front line' is even possible.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
"We used our supply center as bait, now that the enemy have taken it we have them completely surrounded!"
"And you are totally out of supplies."
"Yes! Wait, gently caress!"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Davin Valkri posted:

[Valiant Commandery Stuff]

This is complicated general speak for "Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckitsallgonewrongaahfuck!"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Davin Valkri posted:

Hey, how do you say :fuckoff: in German?!

There's no direct translation but "Verpiss dich!" is close in terms of the usage you want in this situation. "Sie Arschloch!" (You rear end in a top hat!) is also possibly appropriate.

Then again given the era of Germany we're dealing with, "Feuerbefehl!" might be more appropriate.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think the entire situation is a rapidly imploding clusterfuck and that the mud just slows it down a bit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It would seem the disasterous results of the prior turn have resulted in the entire southern front being sacrificed to maintain order; a bold strategic initiative or hubris of the highest degree? History will decide!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Impressive. Now I feel justified in giving them the favour of the Luftwaffe.

They've earned their air support the hard way.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wait did you just play a card that turns retreats into exchanges and then play a second card that makes a unit retreat, so what, the 9th just made an exchange with itself? :psyduck:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

My understanding of it is that it allows the 9th Army to act as a trap of sorts. They attack it with everything, it forces an exchange which lowers each attacking unit's step by one (Russians only have one step) therefore the 9th Army annihilates the group plaguing AGC and then dies. I think.

I'm pretty sure that as written the effect of those two cards played in tandem is the 9th proceeds to exchange fire with itself, but I'm also fairly sure that those two cards were not expected to be played in tandem.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It really is brilliant how accurately this game has modelled the communications issues and insane leadership that occurred during the real war.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
ED technically hasn't been played yet since it won't get played till a soviet unit attacks, its just on the list of things that will get played so yeah this is correct.

Gentlemen, you just got Hitlered.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm glad you can think of an explanation for that situation because I sure as hell can't.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tevery Best posted:

This game really is like clockwork, finely tuned. Every time it resolves differently enough to want you to play it again, yet some constants never change: the Germans are always on the doorstep of Moscow when mud hits, you're always a point or two from Sudden Death when it hits, and the extra Soviet units always appear exactly when you need them the most, yet you always want just one more counter on the board.

Shows that it was extensively playtested.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tekopo posted:

Well yes, until you see that the rules for the game are Living Rules and there have been plenty of tweaks done in order to prevent an easy German steamroll in the first year. The most notable of these are making the shock counters give two shifts instead of one in the first winter as well as the Germans use the soviet CRT during winter. As well as that, the restrictions on attacking in the very first turn and the fact that the southern forces can't move at all are all recent additions (well, they weren't within the first printing of the deluxe version, that is), because otherwise it was very easy for the Germans to make two fronts surrender rather than one, which is pretty crippling. So the journey to the game being so fine-tuned was a long one.

Of course, extensive playtesting takes a lot of time and manpower and the people doing the testing aren't always employed as such.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tevery Best posted:

An interesting thing to note is that the French of the Waffen-SS Division "Charlemagne" were the last defenders of the Fuhrer's bunker alongside the Scandinavians of Waffen-SS "Nordland".[/i]

So all it takes is a bit of Nazism to give the French backbones as strong as the Vikings.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The invading capes exchange made me laugh for a good solid minute.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
This would be the perfect time for a trap card if the Russian commanders weren't all drunk.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Yes sir, the Northwest front has deployed in Voronezh, Southeast to us.

This line neatly sums up the war thus far.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Davin Valkri posted:

Like we'd be asked to advise NATO at all, the way this campaign is going :downs:

You would be asked to come in as examples of how to not win a war.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Sandman posted:

You do realize that anyone with a time machine is contractually obligated to make at least one attempt to kill Hitler, right?

Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act (Heh heh) is still in effect so don't bother wasting your time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fangz posted:

HELO COKER I AM SO DRUNK RIGHT NOW

I like to think actual telegraphs like this were sent every now and then during the war.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tevery Best posted:

You either wish a truly horrible fate on Fangz or have no idea how things are run east of the Oder.

STAVKA hasn't been sober since it was founded.

(Interesting note; there's a 'wave' going through historian circles atm that suggests that the majority of politics in the past were almost certainly conducted while all parties were inebriated. Some recent papers were published showing that in general people are better at diplomacy while drunk or something to that effect I believe.)

Neruz fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 13, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Davin Valkri posted:

...Are we seriously losing to a bunch of drunkards? :psyduck: Maybe I should start issuing beer rations.

Also--GOD drat YOU STAVKA!

It's worth noting that there are several historical examples of generals achieving great victorys while completely shitfaced (the opposite is also true). If you're dealing with an old general who has been fighting for so long that war has been ingrained into his bones and instincts, being drunk can in fact assist as it causes people to act in a more instinctual way.

On the other hand OKH's performance has been less than incredible this war soo...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Comrade Yoris Steltsin appears to be doing his spellchecking while drunk too.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Sandman posted:

While it's certainly an accurate moniker, are you sure you want to keep calling them Army Group Complete Failure?

The Southern front should be named to the North Failure Front.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Sandman posted:

Nah. The south is already Army Group Craven Retreat, which works pretty well.

It's the middle I'm having trouble with. Right now I'm going with "Army Group Catastrophic Mistake", but it just doesn't roll off the tongue the way the others do.

How a bout AGWC 'Army Group What the Christ?'
or perhaps AGHE 'Army Group Human Error'
or AGPD 'Army Group Poor Decision'

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh god yes the Germans and their supertanks. If only the Ratte had actually been physically possible :allears:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Pity none of the men driving them know what the gently caress they're doing yet.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I am surprised how accurately the front represents the reality, especially given the incredible command competence shown by STAVKA.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
"Look I just forgot to give the troops orders for a month okay? I promise I'm not a bad general."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Sandman posted:

Oh, I think it's perfectly legal; he's only moving one space, into an empty hex.

Just look at the board again, I'm sure you'll agree that this move can and should go through.

Uhhhh... Is that army trying to do what I think it's trying to do because if so that is... Notable...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The army positioning in the south-eastern front is pretty amusing. I am unconvinced as to that formation's efficacy on either side really.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Heyy the south-eastern front is starting to look sensible, 1st panzer apparently have balls of steel though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Saint Celestine posted:

Probably should have let them keep building Mauses, since it would have taken materials that could otherwise been used for more useful things.

Heresy, the Maus was clearly an unstoppable behemoth that would have revolutionized mechanized warfare.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The tactical situation around Voronezh is pretty crazy, I'm honestly not entirely sure what either side is trying to do. Ovbiously the Russians are trying to encircle the Germans, but the Germans are responding by... trying to encircle the Russians? Who are countering the encirclement of their encirclement with another encirclement? This is getting all inception up in here.

e; And wow that Northwest counter seems to have gotten extremely lost.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tevery Best posted:

Well, look at Stalingrad and Central.

Yeah the Russian armies are more than a little lost. The South would be applauded for being located in approximately the correctish area if not for the fact that it's because they got trapped there.

I'm not entirely sure that STAVKA command has worked out what it is doing, I suspect we may be seeing the typewriter monkeys hammer out a verse or two.

e; the "First Baltic" chilling just outside Moscow is somewhat misplaced too. You know I think it would be quicker to list the forces that aren't horrendously lost.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 23, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Davin Valkri posted:

You think STAVKA is bad?! We still haven't cleaned up the mess demoted OKH Herp has made of our campaign!

Well yes but unlike the OKH, STAVKA has managed to stumble into an advantageous tactical position that could potentially be leveraged for great strategic success. I am fairly sure that this is because STAVKA got lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hell yes I am Commander Thunder Mantis Badger according to that site.

Thunder Mantis Badger is the best codename. I don't know what a Mantis Badger is but the idea of mixing those two animals and then adding a Thunder component sounds very Metal Gear.

• Locked thread