Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Male Gangrel because hulking out owns and Animalism is surprisingly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Amending my vote to Female Gangrel named Belle because it that name is just too good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tehan posted:

The thing about crossovers is absolutely every type of thing that goes bump in the night has their own metaplot that they consider all-encompassing, and they consider all the other critters to be sideshows to that metaplot. I'm talking about in-game views, but as you can see from MJ12 describing an Antediluvian as a 'powerful vampire god' without even saying which Antediluvian it is (Ravnos / Zapathasura) it does extend to players to a lesser extent.

So when you cross things over, inevitably a lot of players end up with the impression that their own favourite brand of special snowflakes aren't center stage and you get a lot of neckbeard tears. Not that I'm completely innocent of this (Samuel Haight :argh:).

And yes, the True Black Hand were terrible and there was much rejoicing with their passing.

Possibly because it was written by people who grew up during the Cold War, the oWoD features nuclear weapons more than you'd think. For instance, the first great wereshark council, which was intended to debate whether or not they should begin to migrate onto land, took place at the Bikini Atoll. The nuclear tests answered that question for them :ohdear:

Is...is that ACTUALLY what happened to the Weresharks in OWoD? I had heard that they were MIA for kind of hazy reasons, but holy poo poo that's hilarious if so.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Wait, it was that guy? I would have guessed that guy, or even that guy, but not that guy.

More seriously, I wonder if your sire knew what was going to happen, if they were deliberately sacrificed, or if their plan got leaked accidentally.

Pretty sure it wasn't any kind of plan, which is the entire point. It was an impulse action and ultimately a fatal one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I dunno, I found the best way was to be playing as a Gangrel, activate Protean and just go on a mad rampage until everything stops moving. The only thing you have to worry about is when you get down to the last guy it's handy to drain him to death instead of tearing him apart because that way you'll never run out of blood. Doesn't work quite as well when there are no humans around, but if you conserve your portable blood supplies you don't need to worry so much about those situations either.

The best thing about Protean though is the +1 Wits, which means that doing some tricky computer hacking generally involves turning your hands into claws. Apparently this doesn't hinder typing at all.

PROFESSOR WEREBAT, PHD is literally the best part of being a Gangrel.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

Also, in regards to the 'shovelhead' comment from Jack.

The Sabbat recruits new blood very simply. They blindside the unfortunate victim, Embrace him/her, and bury them. The ones strong enough to claw their way out are strong enough to act as cannon fodder, and maybe even become True Sabbat and partake in the sect's rites and rituals. Only after they've survived and been embraced (lowercase E) as a brother or sister in arms, THEN they get the full lowdown. Beforehand, they're usually told, in their traumatized state, that they're pretty much invincible and they can kill anything.

Bottom line: cracked in the head with a shovel and fed the blood of the damned.

Lets not leave out the fun details. Often times this is done en masse, with the shovelheads all clawing their way out of a mass grave and turning on each other in a blood frenzy. This process is designed to remove inhibitions and devastate their Humanity.

While most Sabbat don't adhere to the path of Humanity, it'd be a mistake to think they're all in thrall to the Beast. There are alternative philosophies that Vampires follow to retain control of the Beast other than Humanity. Humanity is simply the easiest one. We all have experience being human.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

gatz posted:

Care to elaborate?

Also, and this question goes to anyone, how do Sabbat handle vampires that defect from the Camarilla and try to join the Sabbat?

citybeatnik touched on it, and to be sure a lot of the Paths are just some flavor of EEEEEEEEEEVIL. But the underlying principle is sound and quite a few of the paths are genuinely fun and interesting.

The basic premise of the Paths is a rejection of the notion of Humanity. They view trying to hold onto ones humanity as a sad lie and a doomed effort. It is far better to find a new touchstone, something less directly opposed to your very state of being, to control the Beast with. The Path of Honorable Accord is a good example. It's your word, it's internal consistency that keeps you from the Beast, not pretending to be something you're not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

insanityv2 posted:

We're forgetting the silliest/funnest part of humanity though: derangements.

Everytime you drop in humanity you have a change to pick up a derangement. It's usually stuff like OCD, or paranoia, or something. It could be tons of fun to roleplay but the way you acquire them has always struck me as very problematic.

I've read but never actually played oWoD so someone correct me if I'm wrong but it kind of means that a 10 humanity vampire can develop a permanent psychiatric condition from telling a lie (and then miserably failing the resulting roll.)

(Also this thread is making me lament the fact that all my Vampire books are at my parents' house :()

To be fair, I've literally never heard of anyone actually following these rules to the letter on account of them being retarded.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Path of Caine, Path of the Feral Heart, and Path of Honorable Accord are where it's at.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I've always gotten the impression that the Paths are fancy ways to get around the fact that humanity is extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable for vampires. Like, take that Noddist stuff. 'You might be a soul-sucking monster who exists as a bane on humanity as punishment for the first murder but that's totally not evil I swear. Because reasons.'

It just feels like it weakens the central conceit of the setting, which is that for all they tell themselves they're superior and can do what they want, there's this erosion of humanity from acting that way has a real consequence and actually makes them more of an insane monster and eventually leads to their destruction. Having a bunch of ways to control the Beast by being a jackass feels like it weakens it a lot.

Except one of the central ideas of the Paths that is hammered home repeatedly is that by following one you are necessary inhuman, alien, and monstrous.

It solves a very real problem in the setting, which is to say if Humanity works as originally proposed it would be impossible for the Sabbat or Camarilla Elders to exist as they do. And lets be clear here, being on a Path is not convenient necessarily. Take the Path of Honorable Accord, just for starters. You have all the same things to fear at low adherence to your Path as you would at low Humanity, the difference is what constitutes losing control. Being bound to your word like a mythical Fey is not what I'd call convenient. At a Path score of 8, the Path of Honorable Accord doesn't even let you associate with the dishonorable. At a 10, followers of the Feral Heart can't use tools to hunt. They are the perfect predator and must use their natural abilities and guile alone.

Even the more assholish Paths which I'm not fond of are by no means convenient and will stipulate that you must go out of your way to pursue certain ideological actions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crying Woman in the Mercurio seen is a pretty good example of why I'm really not a fan of the Plus Patch. It tends to add a bunch of questionable poo poo in the name of the modders VISION, which I have no real interest in and frequently makes no sense.

There is just no reason she would be there :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Send him after the President because OBAMACARE is like vampirism right? :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

Not quite. The Angels were never jealous of humans. They were ordered to watch after Adam and Eve, also their tribe (they were the first, not the only humans in Eden). But God also commanded them the angels to fulfill all the humans needs, but to remain hidden from them. The angels, led by Lucifer, saw humanity in their ignorance and were too saddened by what they saw to let it continue. The revealed themselves to the humans and gave them knowledge.

God sent Michael to punish Lucifer, but the Morningstar fought him off (using a simple wooden scythe against Michael's SWORD OF FIRE). The loyal angels withdrew and then God spoke. Sort of. The earth was smote with a great power. God had introduced entropy into Creation. Nothing would last forever anymore, and all things would eventually crumble. That was God's last confirmed interaction with his Creation. The war went on for decades, if not centuries, and eventually the fallen angels were cast into Hell. Hell was not the pit of fire and brimstone portrayed by popular media. It was a place entirely cut off from the presence of God, but where the angels bound within could still feel the birth pangs of human civilization with all its ups and downs. That torment drove most of the angels to become demons, but the biggest pain of all was not a presence, but an absence.

Lucifer was not in hell with the rest of his loyal followers.

It's hard not to feel bad for WoD Lucifer because he is arguably totally benevolent to the bitter end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's Toreador without a doubt. Auspex+Celerity is the ultimate bullet hell killing machine. Malkavians are alright but there's really not much point in playing one for firearms when Obsfucate and Melee is right there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The actual Bloodlines thread is pretty much in torpor so maybe someone here would have some insight:

I've got the WESP Basic Patch installed, but I cannot for the loving life of me get Histories to work. vchar_edit_histories "1" is in the Config.cfg file as it's supposed to be, but if I boot up the game no histories are selectable and checking the .cfg file reveals that vchar_edit_histories has been reset to 0.

Seriously driving me nuts, googling is revealing nothing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

gatz posted:

I remember reading in the changelog that histories were taken out of the basic patch.

God drat it WESP.

I am not looking forward to rooting around in the changelog to find exactly which version I need to regress to so I am no longer beholden to his sperg. Is there an alternative WESP Basic-like fan patch by any chance?

Edit: Looks like he removed Histories from the Basic in the most recent iteration. Easy enough. God drat it WESP.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

gatz posted:

It's in the 8.8 changelog, so 8.7 should work. I'm not sure it's a big loss, though, histories seem like they were cut for a reason. There's not much there to be excited about.

Histories were always a handy bit of extra customization. Shuffling around Talents/Skills/Knowledges in their assorted priorities in particular was nice.

Edit: It's really more an issue of it being kind of stupid to flat out remove the ABILITY to enable Histories.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Psion posted:

Arguably, it shouldn't be in basic, since it's not really a 'bugfix' to enable histories. I suppose you could argue it either way but it makes some sense, at least, to keep that in Plus.

I'd honestly agree. It shouldn't be enabled by default in the Basic. What's mind boggling is that it's not just not enabled, but incapable of BEING enabled in the Basic patch under the most recent iteration. It's stripped out altogether. :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In the grim darkness of the distant modding future, there is only sperg.

That is the moral of the story.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The posts in this thread are quickly charting the path by which the average person goes "Vampire is neat" "Well this metaplot thing sure is neat" "Huh, that's a little weird" and finally to ":stare:" with poo poo like Tzimisce.

The longer you look, the stupider it gets!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

There's a template for just that in the Time of Thin Blood.

The concept is Cinderella, and the entire warren shits on you because not only are you a thinblood you're a loving super model compared to them (although if I recall correctly your sire tends to scratch up your face).

Man you'd think the Nosferatu would be pragmatic enough to realize that a Nosferatu who doesn't look like a Nosferatu (and isn't revealed to be a Nosferatu bullshitting if somebody uses Auspex) is an ace in the hole for intelligence gathering.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah, you're right it's a pretty generic group. I just assumed they were a stand-in for another WW line.

Also this got posted in the games thread but it's slipped a few pages back so just check this link out. Amazing if they actually pull it off. http://planet-vampire.net/forum/index.php?topic=6314.0

OTOH perennial fan favorite Wesp is involved! :suicide: I read recently that with the Plus patch in the late-game you can turn your ghoul into a vampire and avoid her story death. I mean, is that even how it works in the source books?

It is indeed true

And rather lovely, as it defeats the entire point of the Heather plotline

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kacie posted:

Hahahahahah - oh, that is priceless. I'd heard all sorts of grumbling and muttering about the True Black Hand, but no one ever mentioned exactly why they were so bad, only that they were.

That is hilarious.

I really enjoy all these distilled nuggets of oWoD - I'm well-versed in oWoD mage and love to run it, but I know very little about the actual canon plotline. Aside from a few later tidbits, that is, and the joy of the Technocracy finally pulling out all the stops to kill the Ravnos Antediluvian - because that's just fun. What's the point of the massive world-wide conspiracy if you never get to pull the trigger and use it now and then?

I agree with how well Bloodlines manages to introduce the politics and draw the player into the world - the atmosphere of many of the areas is fantastic. I get the itch to replay it - and then I think about That Sewer.

Basically White Wolf never figured out during oWoD that sometimes the best thing you can do is not give an answer. Set up some mysteries and let the GM decide what he wants to do with it, that is really the best approach.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Curvy Goonette posted:

The gulf between possible and actual player base could not be farther apart.

Its just a weird move instead of using gender neutral stuff.

While this is true, it's hard to say that tabletop games could do with less attempts to not be utterly toxic to females. :shobon:

It's better than nothing I guess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

Okay, Illuminate me, please. What is the power difference between Vampires and Werewolves? I know that at the very least, a single Werewolf is vastly stronger than your average 13 gen vamp.
At what gen can a vamp match a werewolf? And at what gen can the vamp take on the werewolf easily?

It's not really that simple. It really depends on their kit, what Disciplines they have. Dominate and Presence are probably the best way to stop a werewolf but I'm pretty sure if they death rage none of that will work and you're stone cold hosed.

Some of the Werewolf Gifts are really out of a Vampires league so my inclination is to say that a vampire is always at a disadvantage to an equal exp value wolf.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The sad part is, like most of White Wolf's stuff, there was a really cool idea at the base of Hunter: The Reckoning. The idea that these arrogant bastards have called you livestock forever and grown complacent that they control the world and can hide whatever atrocities they feel like committing, totally unaccountable to the humans they treat like slaves, and that suddenly you can see them, you have a few edges to even the odds in your desperate struggle, and you and your friends need to teach these arrogant bastards the meaning of fear. This is a cool setup for a desperate and very angry game, where the chances are pretty high you'll get yourself killed but you might flip the checkers table on the supernaturals in the process. It's just that, as has often felt like the case, from a mechanical standpoint you can't even surprise these things, usually, let alone ambush them or destroy them. They take six actions, do enough damage to one-shot each hunter on the team, have supernatural senses, etc. It kind of puts the lie to the whole 'We can't risk being spotted, they outnumber us' setting conceit in general.

That is my favorite part of nWoD. It really brought the power levels back down to earth.

It's been said before but oWoD was never sure if it wanted to be gothic horror or angsty super heroes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

NWoD Changeling supremacy! :byodood:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereals game sounds like a grand old time. Definitely not very World of Darkness, but good fun all the same.

This talk of nWoD Demon is fascinating. I didn't even realize Demon got revived for nWoD. I sort od assumed it was dead like Wraith.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Out of curiosity, do we know what role Lucifer has in NWoD Demon yet? I'm guessing judging by the New Demon conception of Hell he's the rumored, maybe-real-maybe-not "one that got away".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nobody really talks about Changeling in the context of OWoD. OWoD Changeling is a pretty crap line.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I think it's better summarized as "WoD is awesome but it's also easier than most games to ruin with a couple creepy fuckers".

So

Don't play it with official white wolf forums denizens.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

True, I'm just noting that in my experience, WoD is one of those settings that takes a lot of work to make fun. At least if you prefer beer and pizza style gaming. I like nHunter and Promethean, but the other lines feel like they'd be so much work to turn into something my gaming group would enjoy that it's not worth it. Although from what I've been reading in this and other threads, an oWerewolf game starring the Get of Fenris could be workable.

In fairness, beer and pizza style gaming isn't generally what WoD aspires to be well suited for. The amount of work needed to make it fun is probably related to differing goals and expectations.

(Unless it's work related to the game being simply mechanically bad but that typically doesn't apply to NWoD)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Queen Fiona posted:

I would point out that nonsense like this appears to be White Wolf's entire MO. This nonsense is the selling point, and more to the point a big reason people get hideous aversion whenever White Wolf comes up. People saying how overcomplicated it was turned me off from Bloodlines for years, and then the game itself was simple, and then you read about other stuff and realize 'no, wait, they were right after all'. This appears to be the case for every single game line they do; I remember trying to follow some IRC acquaintances trying to talk about Aberrant and Exalted and coming away feeling it was an impenetrable mess a casual player had no hope of understanding. (Reading poo poo on Aberrant after it was mentioned in this thread has not changed my opinion much.)

Like, I liked this game! I liked reading (kinda) through the core Vampire book with my friend (I think it was Revised?) and doing a small, self-contained bit. This is all fine, there's not too much here, there's no 'nonsense'. Apparently, though White Wolf does not know how to quit, and more casual players like me who just want to be mesmerist vampires or w/e feel kinda small compared to this expansive and ludicrous universe full of god-creatures and self-inserts.

Yeah, I could play it without all of that, but everyone else will tell me about all this poo poo and pretend I should care. I think I'll stick to my other games.

Your impression is kind of skewed. You talk of overcomplicated nonsense being White Wolf's entire MO, but it really isn't. The game lines vary wildly in complexity.

Exalted? Oh god yes Exalted is a mess. Vampire? Changeling? Demon? Werewolf? Not so much!

Mage and Exalted are really the kings of byzantine, over complicated nonsense and they're two of the most frequently talked about.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

How Vampire is not a mess? It's the system that had Kuei-Jin and alien invaders inhabiting Tzmisce clan.

Obscure optional splatbooks do not make the core system/setting a mess.

Mage and Exalted have overcomplicated nonsense as part of their core credo. Their raison d'être. That's the difference.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

Actually, the main problem with Mage was not overcomplication. Both the rules and the setting were quite simple until supplements started to pile up. The main issue was that a large part of the ruleset was incredibly vague. For example, the boundary between coincidental and vulgar magic, which was always pretty fluid (and remained that way in nMage), or the entire Entropy Sphere.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and has a very broad/vague license to bend reality however the gently caress it pleases like a duck...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tehan posted:

Ah, Jeanette, I can still hear her dialogue in my head. The voice-acting throughout the game is phenomenal but the Voerman sisters especially are fantastic.

Grey DeLisle has that effect :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Wyrm can't be Cthulhu because the Wyrm explicitly SHOULD be it's just overperforming its natural role.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

So someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but World of Darkness is basically a setting where every terrible creature and monster from stories and mythology exists to some extent? Like there are Frankenstein's monster style creatures running around hunting down the Shadow People who are being controlled by Grey Aliens? The Wikipedia article isn't as in depth as some of the knowledge being thrown around here is.

To an extent. It's more accurate to say that most myths have something to do with the main supernaturals. Miscellaneous critters are usually some distortion of a vampire or werewolf ability or some such.

Also keep in mind that the seeming commonality of these creatures is mostly optics. These supernaturals are still incredibly rare relative to the population.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Feinne posted:

The new Demon suggests that a lot of the particularly weird one-off monsters might be Stigmatic animals (for example Mothmen).

I look forward to a pdf of New Demon being buyable by anyone. How I wish I'd known about that kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The bulldozer thing, is that only in the Plus Patch? I don't remember anything like that in any of my many, many playthroughs :psyduck:

• Locked thread