Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Name him (if it's a him) Bugsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think it also bears mentioning that since Ravnos also had a 10 in Fortitude (this is on a scale of 1-5), he had so little to fear from the (singular) sun that he could have gotten a tan if he wanted to. I imagine the monsoon was either for the sake of his progeny or else because he still wasn't very fond of daylight.

Oh, and the spirit nukes also FUBAR'ed the Wraith setting all to hell.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

Back to the point, sunlight is ugly to vampires. You take more or less depending on the strength of the sunlight and how much you're covered, but it'll hurt regardless. In the case of our Antediluvian monster, he was just caught in the blast of 3 nukes. Even if they were more damaging to spirits than to the physical world, it was enough to crack a mountain in two. So we can assume that any clothing Ravenna wore was burned away. Then, it was caught the direct, if reflected, rays of the sun. So, no cover and full exposure to the sun. By the rulebook, that's Difficulty 10 to soak (you have to roll a 10 for a success), and you take 3 Aggravated damage per turn. Every success negates one level of damage taken. So, even with Fortitude 10, that's an average of 1 soak per turn, or every 3-6 seconds. That leaves 2 Aggravated damage per turn. A vampire only has 7 health levels total.

So after 4 turns, less than 30 seconds, Ravenna was nothing but ash in the artificial dawn.

No need to be so technical; after all, abilities scale geometrically once you break past the 5 point barrier. The official powers associated with level 10 in any special ability are "whatever the hell the storyteller needs it to do (but try to at least justify it around what the skill normally does)."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tehan posted:

I've heard that they have some unique dialogue based on Ventrue being top dog of the Camarilla, so I'll be looking forward to that, since I've never done a Ventrue playthrough.

It's more interesting than Gangrel, anyway. Gangrel abilities are pretty useful, but I don't think they get any unique dialog at all, and the one time when their animalistic nature might have come in handy plays out the same no matter what sort of vampire you are.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Feinne posted:

The Sabbat tend not to leave any witnesses is the thing. Mounds of corpses yes, but nobody who can actually say 'gently caress, a vampire'.

They also choose their feeding grounds with care. For as much as they posture about deserving to rule the kine, the higher-ups are still well aware of mortal hunters, both the sourcebook-capitalized sort and the regular secret society groups whose members wield True Faith.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Could be it was a childer in the middle of his test who thought he could cheat the system and Embrace someone on the side to act as a gopher, but then he underestimated how closely he was being supervised.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

MJ12 posted:

Really, in the end all of them are a bit about how idealism gets crushed by cynicism and the need to take the 'easy way' outweighs your moral code, and you slowly keep doing it until you become a monster like what you tried to fight. It's most explicit in Mage, but even in Vampire. Most vampires, I figure, weren't incredibly bad people in life. Just normal, regular people, maybe with some uncomfortable secrets, who got turned into monsters and tried to make the best of it. And this is what you end up getting. Also, this is why I thought Vampire needed a handful of Not Awful elders occasionally (although it might have had that). Having a few people who have managed to keep that nobility makes the fall of the rest even more horrific, because it wasn't inevitable.

In the end, in the World of Darkness, it isn't grim and dark and evil because becoming a supernatural makes you Chaotic Evil. It's grim and dark and evil because the good people gave up and took the easy way out.

Well, there's always Saulot "the only nice Antediluvian" Salubri whose clan got wiped out in the Middle Ages. He even makes an appearance in most of the Gehenna scenarios acting on the PC's side.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So did you turn off the special persuasion text fonts, or did one of the fan patches do that for you?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Ugh. I loving hate Jack. Not because of his character or anything like that, that's not my problem, no.

The reason is because I played a Camarilla-suck-up Ventrue planning to come into power by proving my qualities to LaCroix in my first run of the game. If you know what I'm getting at, good, if not, we'll get there eventually.

You can forgive him if you do the real Camarilla ending, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Pretty sure it's been said but Ventrue are just snooty. Other clans don't have this problem.

The actual Ventrue downside is that they can only feed on a specific segment of the population. What qualifies can vary from a profession to an ethnicity or a demographic, but the idea is that it has to be at least somewhat inconvenient; "stenographers," "Korean/Korean-descent women [assuming the city has a sizable Korean population]," or "gay men" would work, but "males only/females only" is too broad. Since you don't have an actual entire city to feed from in Bloodlines (and that's a hell of a lot of potential modifiers to throw in), they simulate it by having the Ventrue vomit after feeding from rats and hobos.

The hobos do provide a lot fewer blood points, though, presumably because they're easy to catch alone, while the ones you can seduce in bars are veritable blood banks. I think in the actual P&P game, though, all humans can provide 8 blood points each, and only by hunting animals will you encounter something with fewer. That said, there's a certain amount of "essence" that comes with the blood, so I think what Jack was saying does have some basis in the setting. Another thing is that a vampire can get drunk by sucking on a drunk dude's neck, and that goes for a lot of other drugs. Vampires can also be a vector for blood-borne diseases, although none of those can have any effect on the vampires themselves.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

We're forgetting the silliest/funnest part of humanity though: derangements.

Everytime you drop in humanity you have a change to pick up a derangement. It's usually stuff like OCD, or paranoia, or something. It could be tons of fun to roleplay but the way you acquire them has always struck me as very problematic.

I've read but never actually played oWoD so someone correct me if I'm wrong but it kind of means that a 10 humanity vampire can develop a permanent psychiatric condition from telling a lie (and then miserably failing the resulting roll.)

(Also this thread is making me lament the fact that all my Vampire books are at my parents' house :()

The version I remember, at least, wasn't about gaining derangements as a failure chance, but something you picked up at every failure once you hit a certain threshold. So once you hit 5 humanity or so, you gain a derangement every time you drop another level. I believe you also get to pick your derangements so that they fit with your character.

It also needs to be said that losing humanity as a vampire is not quite the same as losing humanity as a human. For the latter it can be traumatic since there is a hard-coded revulsion to killing other people, but for vampires, the more humanity they lose the more the Beast takes over. So a vampire gaining derangements is not only their minds trying to come to grips with their failing morality, it's also the mind breaking down in the face of an unquenchable, all-consuming hunger.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

mortons stork posted:

Please do.

On a side note about Golconda: wasn't Saulot the only one who ever reached it? I kind of remember him being retconned from being a saint to a much darker figure and making some very long schemes, even one involving Tremere, though I may be wrong about it.

Darker, anyways. Most of the bad word against Saulot was spread by the Tremere to justify diablerizing him, and the rest was left ambiguous so that the Storyteller could be the final arbiter; that's pretty standard procedure for White Wolf. In the Wormwood scenario (where the players are literally being judged by God), Saulot is one of the prime candidates to be included in the small group considered for being spared God's judgment on the rest of the vampires, and he at least has a better-than-average chance of making it. If he's not, he's one of the few vampires out there to face their end with dignity.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Send him after the President. I wanna see if he makes the evening news.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Umbilical Lotus posted:

Because, much like the apartment and everything in it, it was probably something LaCroix or his goons found in a dump somewhere.

Also, if this game is set in 2004, then the president would be George H. W. Bush. The guy is definitely some sort of Malkavian hivelord. Sic the thinblood on the President.

H. W. is the father. Junior only has the one middle name.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I seem to recall a story about a nosferatu who dripped some of his blood into the sewer water and got himself a horde of rat-ghouls. I'm not sure which edition it was from, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

IMJack posted:

This is true in a lot of systems. Any edition of Shadowrun comes to mind, but even in D&D 3e the fight went to whomever's side got Haste off first. More consecutive actions -> better than.

Even in first and second edition Haste kicked all kinds of rear end, and its only downside was that it sapped a year of life from whomever it affected (and even then not many people paid attention to that particular rule).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Don't forget about the Hunters. Their entire thing is based around ridding humanity of supernatural influences, and only one variety is composed of Punisher-esque psychopathic vigilantes!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

Yeah, when he died, the Ravnos clan fell on itself in a crazy frenzy. They pretty much took themselves out from their Clan founder's death spasm/psychic impulse. In the Gehenna scenarios, or at least the ones where their deaths are plot points, the other Antediluvians have similar effects to their descendants when they die.

It's worth mentioning that vampires can survive their antediluvians' death, but the check gets easier the further from their progenitor they are, making this basically the only case when a high generation comes in handy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. I almost recommend checking out the FATAL & Friends thread on the TG section.

I'm just gonna crosspost this amazing rant from that thread about WoD lore.

Actually, there is an Oh-poo poo-I-Run-Like-Hell Creed: Bystanders. Basically, all Hunters are "Called" in a moment where they suddenly see a supernatural for what it really is, and their creed is determined by their thoughts and actions. If the individual takes no action or runs, he or she becomes a Bystander: someone aware of the supernatural but without any of the neato powers full Hunters get. One thing they can do is hold down a steady job, though, so regular Hunters will often hit them up for resources and safehouses.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

And were working both of the sects in their master plan to serve the ancients and also everyone has these overpowered disciplines.

That's one of the biggest issues I've come to realize with the chats I work with - by this point everyone's memorized the lore and trying to do something atypical tends to make people upset.

Isn't that why White Wolf added the one character who basically managed to dabble in every major splatbook? As a warning against powergaming?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah, Samuel Haight, I've almost forgotten about him and surprised none has actually brought him up in the thread earlier. (Or I just missed it.)
Go figure with him tbh, I'd say he's most likely a joke that someone started with and then the ball kept rolling until they took it far too serious.

Given his career ended as a soulforged ashtray, I'd say he at least ended as a joke, too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tehan posted:

The True Black Hand fought aliens :eng99:

Apparently Vicissitude (the discipline, not the forums poster) was really an alien infection from another dimension that would infect anyone that Vicissitude was used on and eat them and turn them into 'Souleaters' and the True Black Hand were dedicated to fighting off this alien invasion and keeping it a secret from the world.

It was the very nadir of the vampires-as-angsty-superheroes phenomenon. Say what you like about Edward loving Cullen but at least he never fought aliens.

Sounds like someone watched The Thing one night and decided to apply it to their game world.

Anyways, I thought other planets were secretly different dimensions according to Mage, and the existence of outer space is one of those things the Technocracy is developing in the consensual reality. I recall a bit where Technocracy astronauts were pissed when they found out the Traditions had beaten them to the moon (Technocracy grunts usually aren't told what they're doing is literal magic, by the by).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

A Curvy Goonette posted:

The gulf between possible and actual player base could not be farther apart.

Its just a weird move instead of using gender neutral stuff.

The English gender-neutral noun is not permissible when speaking about human beings, "they" is grammatically incorrect when referring to singular individuals, "he or she," "he/she," and "s/he" are unwieldy and use up valuable page space, and using "he" alone for hypothetical individuals is sexist. The best compromise I've seen is to trade off between "he" and "she" between book sections.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Using "they" is totally fine in most situations, as long as you write in such a way as to make it clear that you're talking about an individual. I prefer "s/he", though you still use "them" and "their" rather than "him/her" and "his/hers".

It's still not a completely accepted construction, particularly in formal writing (such as a rulebook). And if you're going to use the combined gender subject pronoun, why would you switch to the singular plural for the object and possessive pronouns? You should at least be consistent with your choices.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Okay, Illuminate me, please. What is the power difference between Vampires and Werewolves? I know that at the very least, a single Werewolf is vastly stronger than your average 13 gen vamp.
At what gen can a vamp match a werewolf? And at what gen can the vamp take on the werewolf easily?

The big thing is that a vampire should never be caught alone by a werewolf who's out for blood. Vampires are much more based around stealth, infiltration, and manipulation than werewolves, no matter what their age or disciplines are.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

What my players used was concentrated banal mundanity. To cripple the True Fae they had to confront, they covertly brought in the IRS, which severely hosed up the True Fae, existing as it did on passion and drama. Exposure to day-in, day-out paperwork with no human context or connection ate away at the very essence of its being.

I bet that's the only time anyone's uttered the phrase, "Get me the director of the IRS, I need him to help me save the world."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Okay that's...An answer. A good answer, if not what I expected.
Anybody have a theory?

Those five rear end in a top hat mages who created paradox have control over all of reality. True Fae are not a part of reality, and therefore the mages cannot counter them directly.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Feinne posted:

Breaking Aberrant is so comically easy that I suspect they didn't particularly care if players were clued into their favorite methods. We're talking about a system where you can take a point of Claws with the Aggravated add-on and then boom all your punches forever do aggravated damage at no cost to you beyond the build points/experience points. And that's a relatively PROSAIC thing to do.

Just for reference, the transition from Aberrant to Trinity comes when certain Aberrants grow in power from "superhero" to "god-like" and cause a few minor apocalypse events (as in, only areas of a continent visible on a map of Earth explode instead of the whole globe). After that, the god-Aberrants still soft-hearted enough to pity us mere humans gather up the rest and blast off into space, never to be heard from again.

A generation or two later, some individuals across the globe independently come across some strange vats or rocks or something which turn them into the first psychics. Psychics are less powerful than Aberrants, but their abilities are much more easily controlled and don't cause you to go insane as time passes, and so people who would have triggered as Aberrants are instead thrown into the vats and turned into psychics, which is a much better situation all around.

Which isn't to say all the problems have gone away, though. Two psychic types, quanakinetics and telekinetics no longer exist: the former were deemed too close to Aberrants in power and crushed, and the latter managed to find an Aberrant colony, which got them in trouble when people panicked and called them Aberrant collaborators and crushed them (but really they all just teleported away because the more powerful telekinetics can travel distances measured in light years and bring rooms full of stuff with them).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think it's a nice touch that the sleazy bail bondsman will always pay up fair and square, but only if you remember to pester him about it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Feinne posted:

Mummies in oWoD are one of the very few unambiguously good supernatural things, they fight for Ma'at (which means balance). It's been a while since I pulled out Mummy: The Resurrection but I want to say they're ancient spirit fragments that give the newly dead a second chance at life?

Also, short of killing them with fire, mummies are harder to kill than vampires and werewolves put together.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vander posted:

So what's the deal with Moses being a Mage. Is there anything to it besides that?

Scattered throughout the lines and the books are lists of historical figures who were secretly one type of supernatural or another. It usually isn't further explained than having their name associated with werewolves or vampires or mages.

Except Hitler. Hitler was human. Not even the craziest supernatural line wants to be Godwined.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

And does vampire Himmler not count as :godwin:, or...?

As I understand it, they only made that mistake in the first edition and never mentioned it again after that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

So someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but World of Darkness is basically a setting where every terrible creature and monster from stories and mythology exists to some extent? Like there are Frankenstein's monster style creatures running around hunting down the Shadow People who are being controlled by Grey Aliens? The Wikipedia article isn't as in depth as some of the knowledge being thrown around here is.

The mummies are Old World and the Frankenstein monsters are New World and I don't think the idea of aliens controlling anything has ever come up (aside from the one time everyone would just rather forget), but basically, yeah. World of Darkness is totally into the Monster Mash. Of course, all the monsters are tremendously cliquish even within their own circles, so if a group wanted to put together some kind of Universal Studios party and go on reverse Scooby Doo adventures it'd require having to throw out a hell of a lot of the setting backstory, and it's worth mentioning that White Wolf in general prefers an approach to RPG's that's heavier on the roleplaying than on the mechanics, and so the backstory is a pretty big percentage of each book.

I'd still want to play a game like that, though. It wouldn't even matter that power levels vary wildly between monsters, it'd be crazy for the sake of fun (or perhaps the other way around).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The first time I went through the hotel, I actually didn't get scared. I mean, what's this ghost trying to pull here? I'm a badass demon of the night here, you think I'm gonna get scared of a few rattling pans or broken stairs?

The second time I got a bit freaked out, though. Could be I was in more of a mood to get scared, I guess.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

To be fair, any vampire that's important in the grand scheme of things is either from the time before they realized the Catai/China thing or is the offspring of someone that does.

Actually, it's just that the Kindred of the East book uses "Kuei-Jin" and "Cathayan" interchangeably. No real reason except to sound exotic, like how Western vampires are called "Kindred" and call mortals "Kine."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Remora posted:

This is true. I only got a bit into downtown with my Malk, but I remember that your Malk PC refers to them as Sisters of Janus. If you know your Roman gods that makes it pretty clear.

Malkavians also have an uncanny ability to recognize one another, which is related to how Malkav literally turned into a psychic network that connects all his progeny when someone tried to kill him. Tapping into the Malkavian network is an alternate discipline Malkavians get which can offer useful insights into their current situation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

Wait, Malkavians are connected to the internet 24/7?

Since even before the internet existed. Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Your title's missing.

Here's a note about Beckett: Beckett is a Gangrel, and the Gangrel clan weakness is that for every frenzy (frenzies are more and more common the further down the Humanity ladder you go) you pick up an animalistic feature. Despite being a few hundred years old, however, Beckett is still very much human beyond the eyes. That's a good indication that in spite of everything Beckett is a pretty nice guy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

What puzzled me and continues to puzzle me is that the Oracle doesn't identify him as someone that you can trust - unless the lone wolf comment was directed at him as opposed to Beckett.

The thing about Nines is that he is actively trying to recruit you into the Anarchs. He may be more relatable, but he's as embroiled in LA's politics as every other major leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Actually, it could still be based on "lich." It's based on the German word for "corpse" and the "ch" is supposed to be pronounced "k." Nobody does because it fell out of use for a long time and only got resurrected thanks to Dungeons and Dragons appropriating it for "undead wizard," and so now people pronounce it based on how the word looks.

• Locked thread