Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Gangrel looks interesting, and female. Don't care about the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vicissitude posted:

So after 4 turns, less than 30 seconds, Ravenna was nothing but ash in the artificial dawn.

Why the hell isn't there a Technocracy computer game where you can do stuff like this? Ancient apocalyptic evil horror waking up? Nuke it, then hit it with orbital death rays.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Conskill posted:

Not in the Bloodlines, but in the roleplaying game the Nosferatu get an Obfuscation ability to pass themselves off as a normal if ugly person for awhile.

I have vague memories of there being a magic sparkle effect during the intro as a Nossie that implies a power like that falling off.

Alternatively, booze is a hell of a thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think I'm just going to go with "The developers wanted the PC to have a big blood pool to do fun stuff with" rather than giving it a basis in fluff or PnP mechanics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Could be it was a childer in the middle of his test who thought he could cheat the system and Embrace someone on the side to act as a gopher, but then he underestimated how closely he was being supervised.

Alternatively, he hosed up. And from what I understand of the setting, prompt execution is exactly what loving up leads to.

Interested to see how this game goes. I've heard a lot of nasty stuff about how buggy it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sarkozymandias posted:

Nobody really knowing the reason for your sire doing what he did makes it more amusing to me, since nobody involved even worries about it once he's caught and his fate sealed. Everyone just reflexively looks for a way to exploit it for political gain. Sharks can't stop to think about why they're swimming.

Glancing through the LP of this game already in the archive does reveal what was going on with your Sire if you're a Tremere, though. S/he was an Anarch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanthulhu posted:

Instead of searching for an explanation for the old computers just blame it on the Technocracy and move on, people.

Or blame it on the immortality of vampires and attendant old age problems. "Here, I got you a state of the art computer! It has DOS, the most sophisticated user interface yet!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All this backstory/metaplot chat, most to all of which looks like the kind of stuff that will rarely if ever come up in an actual game, makes me happy my only experience with World of Darkness is running a Hunter game in the nWoD. All that matters about the supernatural is how to recognize it and how to kill it. :black101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

insanityv2 posted:

Man is there anyone reading this LP that hasn't played the game before?

*raises hand* I did read the previous LP of this game in the archives, though. OWoD in general and Vampire in particular never interested me much. If they made a game where you can play as the Technocracy or a NWoD Promethean or Hunter, though...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LeJackal posted:

Everybody in nWoD is less 'dangerous' than their oWoD counterparts

Except Hunters. The only WoD stuff I've ever done is nHunter, and some of the endowments they can get - especially for Task Force: VALKYRIE - are very nasty. And as I understand it, oHunters were all but toothless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augustin Iturbide posted:

Or you can join Task Force Valkyrie, spot the werewolves with your Anti-Supernatural Detection Goggles, murder their pack totem with Ghost Bullets, zap them with your laser cannon, then sell their corpses to the Cheiron Group. Roleplaying!

As my group discovered during our first Valkyrie game, vampires also have difficulty surviving TOW missiles, getting dumped out of an airplane at 20,000 feet after getting run over by a limousine (long story), and getting sucked into a jet engine. Endowments: nice to have, but not always necessary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Which helps us get at one of the other problems of White Wolf games. They had no conception that rules actually affected tone, storytelling, and narrative as long as you were going to involve rules and dice. It always felt like every WW system I ever played was just kinda hacked and patched together without any idea of whether or not the mechanics actually served the narrative at all, which is a really loving important part of RPG design.

This is one of the reasons I like nHunter. In the splats dedicated to vampires, werewolves, and other game lines, the splats specifically mention that you can try using the actual rules from other game lines if you really want to, but you're probably better off ignoring those game lines and designing the critters you're going after yourself or use the book's rules.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

Wait, Task Force Valkyrie is World of Darkness XCom? Tell me more :allears:
I might need to get into the whole WoD thing.

Task Force: VALKYRIE is the US government's top-secret organization dedicated to dealing with ENE's - ExtraNormal Entities. To that end, their Endowment - their special edge against the supernatural - comes in the form of the Advanced Armory, which is high-tech to the point of mild science fiction grade hardware designed to fight the supernatural. One of my favorite toys is the Bleeder. You know how vampire metabolism is based on blood? Funny things happen when you apply directed microwave radiation to them. Funny, and horrific things on a critical success that will ruin a vampire's poo poo in the blink of an eye.

Depending on how you play it, Valkyrie can be anything from X-Files to X-COM. The level of how much you can trust the organization's bureaucracy, and who exactly is giving the orders, are all up to the DM and players. Assuming you ignore the sidebar in Compacts and Conspiracies that just says it's being run by vampires.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

And then mages make an appearance and it comes down to nerds with physics puzzles all over again.

Or Hunters show up. Say, TF: V with Hod rounds. What are Hod rounds, you ask? Wood bullets that have the same effect as staking a vampire. And then they Roadkill the werewolf with a semi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

Y'see I have a lot more time for hunters than I do for mages. I think its because of the "vehicular" aspect of about half of their kills.

My nHunter game group bagged a werewolf pack leader with a custom-made realdoll, a bottle of perfume, a sound dampener from the Advanced Armory, a good grasp of psychology, and a freight train. Sometimes, rolling for damage just isn't necessary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

To me Task Force: Valkyrie kind of sounds like Delta Green but not completely doomed from the word go, aided and abetted by the fact that nWoD has much less over the top power levels for its supernaturals. Well, most of them. There are still things that don't give a gently caress.

Valkyrie isn't the only nHunter group, though. Hunters are divided into three levels: Cells, Compacts, and Conspiracies. Cells are your typical group of mundane human shmucks - they could be anything from a group of blue-collar types who stumbled onto something attacking the village priest and are now looking for things that go bump in the night to a military special forces squad that encountered something supernatural on mission. Compacts are fully fledged organizations that take part in the Vigil and come in all shapes and sizes. Conspiracies are the shadowy international organizations that can provide Endowments to their operatives, bestowing upon them unnatural capabilities (even if it's just Valkyrie's field tests for DARPA gear).

The Conspiracies of Hunter are:

Task Force: VALKYRIE. Delta Green, X-COM, the Initiative, the Bureau, what-have-you. Top-secret US government task force that deals with the supernatural. Endowment: Advanced Armory, cutting-edge tech available nowhere else and often custom-made for dealing with the supernatural.

Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit: Valkyrie's little brother in the FBI. VASCU specializes in dealing with unnatural serial killers - equal parts X-Files and Criminal Minds. Endowment: Teleinformatics, fully fledged psychic powers for when mere crime lab techno-wizardry is too passe.

Malleus Maleficarum: Shouldn't need any introduction. Endowment: Benedictions, ?divine? miracles that can even raise the dead.

The Cheiron Group: Privatized X-COM on a good day, Weyland-Yutani on a bad day. Corporation with mysterious origins that chops up supernaturals and turns them into modern medicine. Endowment: Thaumatechnology, sticking some of the more useful bits inside you intact.

The Lucifuge: Angsty types sign up here, they think they're descendants of demon lords if not Satan himself. Endowment: Castigations, your typical warlock powers.

Aegis Kai Doru: Claim to go back to Atlantis and that misuse of magic hosed everything up. Endowment: Relics, various magical artifacts they can hand out to their agents.

Ascending Ones: Your neighborhood drug dealers are actually an ancient Egyptian cult. Endowment: Elixirs, the potions section of every fantasy RPG splat.

The Knights of Saint George: Because the Templars are passe these days and the Malleus Maleficarum's got the Catholics covered. Endowment: Goetic Gospels, equal parts Cthulu Mythos and the really weird parts of the Bible.

The Cainite Heresy: oWoD Hunters in the guise of a homeless person cult. Endowment: Rites of Denial, blood magic not dissimilar to oVampire Tremere toys.

Les Mysteres: Complete idiots and modern-day shamans. Endowment: Rites, letting them deal with spirits benevolent and hostile (hint: they're all assholes).

Plus a boatload of Compacts, but Compacts by default don't have Endowments unless the DM wants to make some up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Of course, when it comes to supernatural fights, I kind of figure mages will win every time provided they know an attack is coming(and with Fate magic, they can find out well in advance)since being able to alter reality with your mind is kind of OP.

Unless you exploit the mages' signature weakness: their own pride. That whole "we can win every time, we're OP since we can alter reality with our mind" mentality is both common and not conducive to long life. As antagonists, I've always viewed mages as the ones you really have to outsmart - they have more potential power than just about anything else in the World of Darkness, but the human mind wielding that power is as dumb, short-sighted, and arrogant as any other human mind if not more so due to overconfidence in the power it wields. All the arcane power in the world won't save a mage from simply getting hit by a bus while crossing the street.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MJ12 posted:

The thing is, the enemy of mages is almost always other mages, and those other mages are capable of making killer cyborgs which can beat rear end in ways Werewolves would give their left nut to possess. As a non-mage, you're best served avoiding mages, because only the really dumb or really weak ones are liable to be beaten in ways you have easy access to unless you want to get entangled in mage politics, and the really dumb ones tend to get themselves killed fairly quickly, while the really weak ones tend to have patrons who might get aggravated at your poking at their favorite students.

The only World of Darkness I play is nHunter, and with my players Task Force: Valkyrie treats mages like any other supernatural. If they endanger innocent people or threaten national security, Valkyrie can kick their teeth in until they stop misbehaving and has tools to make that easier.

It's one of the fun things about Hunter, new or old. Every other game line is pretty isolated, with their own unique adversaries and machinations that rarely if ever intersect. For a Hunter game, the other lines are Monster Manuals. In my game group, Valkyrie has repeatedly clashed with werewolves because, well, they're psychopathic murderers who, at least in my campaign, are major players in the sex slavery industry - they claim they need the wolf-blooded so their society can cary out their sacred duty, but the wolf blooded women - and men - in supernatural witness protection have different ideas.

Personally, I come down on the side of all these supernatural groups hiding from humanity because they don't want to admit that plain old mundane humans are the most dangerous thing in existence.

quote:

Unless it's a mage who specializes in Fate magic, but gently caress dealing with those ones. That's more frustrating than anything, trying to get something, anything to stick to one of those bastards. Basically, yeah, you have to hit a mage when they're not ready for it. If they don't have any mojo going then they're just as squishy as any other schmuck out there.

Alternatively, have an Endowment that fucks up anything like fate magic. If the splats don't provide one, make one.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 14, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

Well, the things Werewolves fight are definitely a significant problem. The werewolves may be a more obvious problem in their own right, but given spirits hate them most of all they don't really have a choice but to be constantly fighting dangerous spirits that would otherwise pretty much kill arbitrary numbers of people with very limited means to detect or stop them.

My take on it in my Hunter games is that all of this is true and Valkyrie's leadership knows it, but by the same token the werewolves are an equally significant problem. Valkyrie's game plan is to slap down the werewolves until they get the message that they aren't alpha anymore and are willing to talk. Valkyrie would rather enlist the werewolves than fight them, but, well, werewolves are assholes and in the meantime the boys in R&D are working on the spirit problem. Not a perfect plan, no, but Valkyrie doesn't get the jobs that you can make perfect plans for.

quote:

The key of dealing with Acanthuses (Acanthoi? Acanthi?) is forcing them into situations where they have no choice. Threatening their friends and family, for example, should force them to attack you even if their magic tells them to lay low. If that fails, there's always attrition - hire several assassins who don't communicate with each other and set them loose on the mage. Sooner or later, he gets out of mana, or asks the wrong question during one of his divinations and misses the least obvious danger from the ones that threaten him.

I had my players go up against one of these bastards, and the solution they found was to simply rely on the white noise of the modern world. There are a million ways you can die walking down the street of a major city, some of them intentional - gangs who think you're wearing the colors of a rival, or the homeless man who thinks God, in the form of a small dog, told him to kill you. Good luck predicting which threat exactly is which on any given day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

apostateCourier posted:

Even so, defensive magic lasts a long time (24 hours by taking a -2 penalty while casting, or spending a mana) and is a bastard to get past. It stacks with everything, so someone with a defense of 3, 3 dots in an arcanum, and a vest(1/2 armor) suddenly is subtracting 5 dice from every firearms attack and 7 from melee attacks, completely covertly, all day long. If an Acanthus has to step it up, a lot of them have access to Acceleration (a Time 3 effect), which (in this example) throws another 3 on the pile, and suddenly the whole -10/-11 penalty applies to firearms, too. They can't do that for very long, no, and Acceleration is vulgar, but that's a scary level of defense in the short term. Ten-ish rounds is enough time to kill some people that are loving with you in more mundane ways.

That's a starting Acanthus, who admittedly focuses on Time rather than Fate. Though, it doesn't take that long to get from 2 to 3 in a ruling arcanum.

On the other hand, subtracting dice from firearms and melee attacks doesn't protect you at all from cars. Or ruptured gas lines. My guideline for Hunters is that the supernaturals they oppose tend to be very powerful in certain fields - overwhelmingly so in the case of mages and some exotic critters - but not only is their power not universal, few of them have any real respect for humanity beyond "oh, if they united they'd be a problem, so let's keep it on the down low." Much less the government, which as we all know is mostly controlled by vampires and mages and one or two actual humans who just landed their internships with the government.

Werewolves, for example, are one of my group's regular adversaries, and the last time they tried telling a werewolf pack that Valkyrie's swatted down half a dozen packs, the werewolves just laughed in their faces. Come on, the US government means nothing to supernaturals! The only question is who orchestrated the destruction of those packs.

It's a fun blind spot that seems endemic to all the splats. Hunters, and mundane human law enforcement/military, just don't get much respect from supernaturals.

quote:

Edit: the other thing you have to worry about with Acanthus, is that they can "hang" spells with conditional triggers. These can be super vague, like "if something wishes me lethal harm in the next few seconds" or "If I'm about to be hurt intentionally" or whatever. They're really, really hard to pin down.

That assumes an unreasonable level of paranoia, though. It's a bit ridiculous to expect a mage to be doing that every few seconds they walk down the street every day of their life. Not even Stalin was that paranoid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

Amusingly the Predators book (which provides more detail than the werewolf book did on some of the things that tend to intentionally gently caress with werewolves) does suggest that some particularly intelligent Hosts have quite a bit of respect for how much difficulty calling the cops on werewolves can bring them.

Yeah, but supernaturals having a healthy respect for the Hunter PCs wouldn't rile up the PCs in question nearly as much. :v: A few have given my PCs some real respect, like the promethean who in hindsight was committing suicide by cop and the deranged changeling who recognized that the threads of the story had brought forth The Law to oppose her as the narrative demanded they must, but I enjoy portraying Valkyrie as extremely effective, superbly competent, and completely dismissed by the supernatural world as a legitimate threat. They're just humans, after all, and we all know plain old humans aren't a threat, don't we?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LeJackal posted:

Most of the games I've played in, it was a rare player that treated humans with contempt. Then again, a lot of those games featured humans being used effectively and often as tools to do horrible things.

I never claimed every game uses those assumptions or has those blind spots. It's the sense I've gotten from most splats, though, and it's a vibe I've rolled with for my Hunter game. Valkyrie and its sister organizations VASCU (the FBI's supernatural division), the Barrett Commission (the state department's), and a compact I made up called Project Looking Glass (the NSA's) do a very good job of protecting the country from supernatural threats but are underfunded and get no respect.

quote:

The difficulty with something like Hunter is making the game be fun while trying not to completely undermine the horror setting and that even with the more modest power of most supernaturals there are still things that humans should just avoid.

Eh. Horror's overrated, in my opinion. The campaign I run with my players has its creepy and horrific moments, mainly when dealing with the changeling side of the house or when Valkyrie went up against the Knights of Saint George, but by and large I dispense with the gloomy atmosphere. Sure, there's a lot of stuff humanity should just avoid. For now. But there was a time when taking on werewolves in a fair fight and winning was unthinkable. Human courage, innovation, and determination is what made humanity the dominant force on the planet, and they'll be what keeps humanity in that position.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 14, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

Generally your more horrific elements come out in the sorts of things that are intended as enemies in other lines, so if you're mostly focusing on the more mainstream supernaturals I could see things being more prosaic.

Bit of both, really. The only real horror session I've run was when my players had to go up against a True Fae who was warping part of the mundane world into the Hedge and then potentially into Arcadia after it had been stranded on Earth. They were able to cripple it, curtail its influence, and seal it away, but the session ended with Valkyrie HQ concluding that not only are they not currently capable of outright killing a True Fae, they may not ever be capable of it - True Fae are just too weird and play by such different rules from any reality humanity can understand that death might simply be something that doesn't happen to True Fae.

My current plot for them certainly has the potential to turn ugly, though. The qashmallim have become very active as of late, and seem to have taken a particular interest in Valkyrie for unclear reasons. Simultaneous with this has been an upswing in pandoran activity, and several prometheans Valkyrie is in contact with have been acting strangely and reporting bizarre phenomena. Something is up with the divine fire...

So, how about that vampire computer game?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mightypeon posted:

Is there a "Valkyrie" like version of the NKVD? Something like:

-With sufficient true faith, boost your allies abilities by being a one man red army choir. If that doesnt work, :commissar: is also available without any true faith.
-"This PPSH/sharpened Silver Spade killed Nazi Werewolfs in Stalingrad and is now loaned to you, go kill something nasty with it, for the Multiverse Revolution!".
-Some access to Soviet/Russian high tech and gouverment resources.
Have a critter that possesses whatever kills it? Seal it, ship it to Baikonur, fight of a siege of his buddies and launch a rocket aiming roughly at the supermassive black hole in the galaxies center. During the roughly 2 million years of travel time, said critter has ample time to ponder upon messing with mankind.
-Since its the NKVD, propably a lot more experience on fighting unusual stuff on massive scales than the American counterparts.
-Can true faith in Atheism/Very militant Nay-theism actually act as Magic resistance in either World of Darkness?
-Fun with explaining Dialectic Materialism to a true Fae.

A homebrew conspiracy could do what you're describing, but nothing really fits. Hunter: the Vigil assumes that the game takes place in America, though in my Valkyrie games the PCs have occasionally crossed paths with similar counterpart organizations from the Canadian and Chinese governments. Hunter also shies away from Cold War era stuff in general. You have the Loyalists of Thule for WW2 stuff, the Knights of Saint George and Malleus Maleficarum for Middle Ages connections, the Ascending Ones go back to the Islamic Golden Age and Ancient Egypt, and the Aegis Kai Doru take nods from ancient Greece and thereabouts. All the other conspiracies and compacts were founded in the 80s at the earliest.

If you wanted to run a game with an organization like what you're describing, you'd have to make it up from scratch.

quote:

It's hard to say they're even alive, and while they can certainly be warded off it's hard to say what would actually kill them in the real world.

What my players used was concentrated banal mundanity. To cripple the True Fae they had to confront, they covertly brought in the IRS, which severely hosed up the True Fae, existing as it did on passion and drama. Exposure to day-in, day-out paperwork with no human context or connection ate away at the very essence of its being.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 15, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

Hah, that would certainly be a good weapon against one. You could still probably only drive it back to Arcadia, but that's good enough.

The bureaucracy is an often unappreciated weapon against the supernaturals. When you don't have any conclusive proof that a vampire's killed people, even though you know it has, get the IRS to nail them for tax evasion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MJ12 posted:

The thing is, like all gamelines, Hunter is biased (gamelines are generally biased towards their splat in general). It's just as easy for hunters to lose sight of how they stack up on the totem pole, as it is for mages to forget that they are (sort-of) mortal. The bonus that nHunter has is that humans, and human technology, are legitimately capable of evening the odds against the supernatural a little bit. Also, nDemons. Demons respect the hell out of humans, and are also basically impossible for witch hunters to find unless the God Machine is literally telling them exactly where to look and how. As a bonus, if you find them, and if you threaten them enough, the Unchained can Go Loud and will almost certainly at that point ruin your poo poo, because you have to survive a scene with a demon that suddenly unlocked all the magical powers its subsplat can use and has powerstat 10 for a scene, plus is fully healed and charged.

Alternatively, anti-tank weapons can deal with demons.

I'm well aware that Hunter: the Vigil is biased towards its own line. It's the line my players and I enjoy, and we have the most fun when cleverness and tech can find even the most elusive supernatural, and even the most resilient of them can be brought low by the right plan and the right hardware - and when Task Force Valkyrie has a budget of "yes," there are tools in the armory to gently caress up anything that doesn't have a credible claim to godhood... and R&D is working on that. Then again, I portray a Valkyrie that offers free psychiatric care and counseling to changeling freeholds that accept Valkyrie's offer, and has a working relationship with most prometheans within the United States, complete with protocols and manuals for agents dealing with disquiet and wasteland. It's a more action-y kind of game than I think the game makers intended, and a heck of a lot more optimistic and light-hearted, but it's fun and that's what these games in the end exist for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gantolandon posted:

Their servants, Seers of the Throne, are the replacement for Technocracy in nWoD.

Complete with their own Hunter dupes. Division Six is a Hunter Compact that hunts "reality deviants" and thinks they're the men in black protecting the mundane world from the supernatural. The splat makes it clear, though, that they're just a punchline - they get really confused when Valkyrie shows up with actual government authorization and much better hardware.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

Alright, if the True Fae are warping reality, how come they don't get hit with a paradox?

Because Hunter is the only game line built with the assumption that you'll be seeing anything outside its own line.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

I love how the thread became more or less "WoD is Awesome" :allears:

Personally, I feel that statement comes with one hell of a caveat: WoD is awesome if the DM and players are willing to work to make it so. A lot of the splats and gamelines suffer from extremely inconsistent and often mediocre writing, and you have to pick and choose what to use and what not to use. Promethean, a nWoD exclusive, for example, is awesome but very difficult to run owing to both mechanics and how deeply personal for the PCs it is: they're inhuman creatures trying to become human.

My gaming group managed to turn nHunter into a light-hearted beer and pizza game, but that's not remotely what nHunter - or anything in WoD, old or new - is presented as, and the setting is decidedly not my favorite tabletop RPG in general.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiggum posted:

Any good RPG can be turned into a bad RPG by the wrong people playing it. And most RPGs can be fun if the right people are playing them. Some are going to be a lot more work to make fun, but it's always pretty easy to ruin them.

True, I'm just noting that in my experience, WoD is one of those settings that takes a lot of work to make fun. At least if you prefer beer and pizza style gaming. I like nHunter and Promethean, but the other lines feel like they'd be so much work to turn into something my gaming group would enjoy that it's not worth it. Although from what I've been reading in this and other threads, an oWerewolf game starring the Get of Fenris could be workable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

apostateCourier posted:

This is from a few pages back, but what I was getting at is that a Mage with a couple dots in Time and Fate in nWoD can set up some triggers early in the day then not worry about things later. The opposite of casting defensive spells every few seconds. The "next few seconds" bit was meant to mean "this spell will trigger in the instance that someone wishes harm to happen soon."

Perhaps, but my general thoughts on that are "Is it fun? If not, it doesn't need to exist." Nonsense like that is not, as a general rule, fun in my opinion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Pretty sure I read an interview with one of the designers after the fact that they also think secret creatures held up to then up and coming social media and uploaded video. I don't know how they got around that with nWoD if they bothered to address it at all.

nHunter deals with this quite a bit. One Hunter Compact is called Network Zero, and it's basically comprised of folks using increasingly sophisticated media and surveillance to get the truth out there onto the internet. They're easy to dismiss as crackpots and conspiracy theorists, sure, but those in the know realize that some of what Network Zero is seeing genuinely can't be explained away, if you care to look closely enough. One splat identified Network Zero as a Compact on the verge of evolving into a fully-fledged Conspiracy, in which case their Endowment would be NSA-grade recording equipment of all kinds potent enough to pierce supernatural defenses against being seen and recorded.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And then you have Network Zero, Hunters who specialize in having that juice and getting around all the tricks Gantolandon mentioned.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Slashers like Gimble are crazy and usually stronger than they have any right to be, but he's still just human and gets creamed pretty quickly in game.

Slashers are a nWoD thing. Which is probably for the best, really. They can be more dangerous than many supernaturals. Gimble's just a lunatic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KazigluBey posted:

More on this? What exactly are slashers, something akin to Freddy or what?

Slashers are a nHunter thing, serial killers and psychopaths so insane or twisted that they border on the supernatural, whether it's in the form of preternaturally charming young men planning to turn your face into a hat as soon as they lure you away from anyone who could help you or crazed madmen who just won't die when a normal person should. They're not, as a general rule, actually supernatural despite potentially being able to go toe to toe with much of the supernatural world, and have basically no interaction with the wider World of Darkness, but they're intended as villains for Hunter players who want to be more CSI or Criminal Minds than X-Files or X-COM.

So less Freddy, more Jason.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 23, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

Changelings are probably the closest thing to 'things that shouldn't be', but that's more so in nWoD.

nWoD runs rampant with 'things that shouldn't be', honestly. True Fae and the Abyss are the root cause of most of it, but the deeper realms that the Sin-Eaters can face and anything out of the spirit world can veer in that direction. Possibly the qashmallim, depending on how you play it. The Rmoahals and their stuff, again depending on how the DM chooses to portray them, though they're more along the lines of the mysterious elder civilizations that Lovecraft wrote about than stuff like Cthulu.

I'd guess that the Mages probably have something like this, though. In oWoD, Lovecraftian stuff seems to be their particular gig when they're not doing Idealism vs. Rationalism.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From what I recall, the only significant event in human history no supernatural line claims involvement with in oWoD is World War Two. There's a Wraith book about it and the Holocaust in particular, and it's actually pretty sensitive and well-written. Wraith is about the afterlife, so it's mainly about the consequences of that stuff. Supernaturals of one stripe or other claim they were pretty much every major historical figure and responsible for every major historical event... except World War Two and the people notable to it. Nope, they swear up and down that that one was completely and exclusively on humanity's shoulders.

It's a little murkier in nWoD. One Hunter group, the Loyalists of Thule, were heavily tied up in the Nazi occult stuff but were exiled by Hitler himself once they realized just what they had gotten themselves into and wanted to back out. Can't speak for the other game lines.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

citybeatnik posted:

The Fiends have a few Nazi NPCs because of loving course they do.

In nHunter, the Nazis may have had access to the remains of a mysterious race of ?vanished? precursors called the Rmoahals, or as they're more commonly known mythologically, Thule. In real life history, Thule was the mythical homeland of the Aryan race, according to the Third Reich's occult side. In nHunter, it's an excuse to do Weird War Two stuff in the best traditions of Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein. No actual specific Nazis are linked to the Rmoahals, though - the Loyalists of Thule Compact, formerly known as the Thule Society, was mostly purged and the survivors fled in exile when things started getting batshit. At most, it's suggested that the Nazis may have experimented on werewolves with the Thule Society folks who did drink the kool-aid.

On the other hand, want super-powered zombie Hitler? Here's your stop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

What's the deal with Genius: The Transgression?

It's a fan-made game line. Large-scale fanfic, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MartianAgitator posted:

As far as Cthulhu-monsters, a cross-setting book called "Blood-Dimmed Tides" had the Chulorvia (pronounced with a hard "ch"). They were tentacle aliens in the vague shape of a human who lived under the sea and, IIRC, wanted to infect all of humanity to make us like them. I think they win "Most Like H.P. Lovecraft's Fever Dreams".

Eh. They weren't "things that should not be," though. They were just squid disease tentacle things. They actively want to destroy humanity. Lovecraft's signature brand of horror is that these entities, and the universe in general, just does not care about humanity. All of humanity's accomplishments, all of its hopes and dreams, are nothing but a blink in the eye of a vast and uncaring universe and will be snuffed out like a candle when the stars are right. It's not that there are monsters out to get you - it's that there are monsters, but they have the same regard for humanity that we have for ants on the sidewalk.

• Locked thread