Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What the hell. All that cereal. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dexie posted:

What the hell. All that cereal. :stare:

I like how the cereal trips you up and not the multiple weapons.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Seriously, how is it legal to send axes through the mail?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ugh why the gently caress did I buy Special K w/ Yogurt :mad:

I could be getting diabetes off Cinnabons!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Tae posted:

I like how the cereal trips you up and not the multiple weapons.

They got the fire axe in the first mailbag video. Every since that happened, I've been fully expecting them to get more weapons.

I was not expecting them to get a box filled with twenty or so boxes of cereal. Half of those I didn't even realize existed. I need to figure out where I can find Cinnabon cereal around here. That poo poo is probably terrible for you, but drat if I don't want to try it.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Scorched Spitz posted:

Seriously, how is it legal to send axes through the mail?

Like, seriously? It's legal because why would it not be.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dexie posted:

They got the fire axe in the first mailbag video. Every since that happened, I've been fully expecting them to get more weapons.

I was not expecting them to get a box filled with twenty or so boxes of cereal. Half of those I didn't even realize existed. I need to figure out where I can find Cinnabon cereal around here. That poo poo is probably terrible for you, but drat if I don't want to try it.

I think you missed the episode where they got a bunch of cereal sent from Newegg.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I hope someone actually sends them an arcade cabinet now.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Like, seriously? It's legal because why would it not be.
Good enough reason. :black101:

e: And the final one for the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvSZ1PTQ-Zc

Scorched Spitz fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 8, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
you know you're in the wrong line of work when it doesn't involve being so loved by your fans they send you Vipers in the mail and TWO anime box sets worth 550 dollars each.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 8, 2014

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The moment where Woolie receives a gameboy might still be my favourite moment of Mailbag series. The dude was totally gonna cry, and I can't blame him.

(But everybody knows that losing in Super Best Friends Brawl is the only reason Woolie will secrete tears, though. Salty, delicious tears.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Tae posted:

I think you missed the episode where they got a bunch of cereal sent from Newegg.

I guess I did. Which mailbag was that?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Watching a few of the grump's videos on south park really makes me appreciate how much thought TBF put into the lps they do. I can appreciate them not forcing *New popular game A* into a format that just doesn't fit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dexie posted:

I guess I did. Which mailbag was that?

Mailbag 4, at about 33:30 in.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGcRlz7T04I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfeefE4tuwU

Belladonna fist sex toy. Wow... Wow...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pat was on the retsupurae podcast, it's more a discussion of games than it is an interview, still pretty good and pat is slightly lower key.

Also, MATT/LIAM VS. WOOLIE/PAT separate timed progression Dark Souls 2 battle.

Really creative and entertaining way to make a Dark Souls 2 Video. seeing the contrast between how Woolie and Matt respond to their first experience with dark souls is really quite something.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, MATT/LIAM VS. WOOLIE/PAT separate timed progression Dark Souls 2 battle.

Really creative and entertaining way to make a Dark Souls 2 Video. seeing the contrast between how Woolie and Matt respond to their first experience with dark souls is really quite something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju1LLpqEcnA

And Pat and Liam by themselves aren't that great either.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've only seen the first DKS2 video but I'm kind of annoyed at Liam basically leading Matt around in such a way as to guarantee he'll hate the game compared to Pat actually coaching.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I've only seen the first DKS2 video but I'm kind of annoyed at Liam basically leading Matt around in such a way as to guarantee he'll hate the game compared to Pat actually coaching.

Yeah this stuff results to a poor experience for everyone involved. One of my friends apparently had another friend of mine guide him through DKS1 in its entirety, telling him the enemy placements, item locations and strategies for beating bosses and stuff. The end result, unsurprisingly, was the player saying "Wow Dark Souls is a really easy game!" And that's just something I can't accept.

Souls games should really be played with as little external information as possible. I think some coaching is fine so that the player doesn't screw himself entirely by leveling resistance or something, but for me the best part about Dark Souls 1 was that you're expecting the game to gently caress with you all the time. It really makes the gameplay exciting, even if all you're doing is slowly walking down an empty hallway or something. I haven't bought DKS2 yet (sold my Xbox already) so I already kinda regret watching their first DKS2 video.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Minorkos posted:

Yeah this stuff results to a poor experience for everyone involved. One of my friends apparently had another friend of mine guide him through DKS1 in its entirety, telling him the enemy placements, item locations and strategies for beating bosses and stuff. The end result, unsurprisingly, was the player saying "Wow Dark Souls is a really easy game!" And that's just something I can't accept.

Souls games should really be played with as little external information as possible. I think some coaching is fine so that the player doesn't screw himself entirely by leveling resistance or something, but for me the best part about Dark Souls 1 was that you're expecting the game to gently caress with you all the time. It really makes the gameplay exciting, even if all you're doing is slowly walking down an empty hallway or something. I haven't bought DKS2 yet (sold my Xbox already) so I already kinda regret watching their first DKS2 video.

There is, I think, a happy medium with how Pat handled Woolie. He gave him some helpful tips, like how to leave messages and the mechanics there, and gave him some gameplay advice, but never told him where to go or discouraged him from experimentation. One of the most obvious signs Liam isn't helping Matt honestly is that Matt keeps his shield up way more than he should, and Liam didn't point this out. It's a common new player mistake to not give themselves a breather in combat, and it kills your stamina regeneration. That, and not constantly yelling at Matt to not try to run past enemies, seems like he wasn't really being constructive. Pat was a much more fair Souls coach, while not backseat driving. Maybe 'coach' is the right word: you should never guide anyone through Souls, but coaching is hardly a bad idea, especially in the early part where learning the systems can be a painful process of trial and error, sometimes with mistakes that can't be taken back.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That was what I meant yes, Pat was doing a real good job, and Woolie was consequently getting super into it. Liam just gave Matt rope and watched as he hung himself with it, though admittedly this is slightly less terrible with the revelation in the second video that Liam didn't know how to level up either as opposed to just messing with Matt.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Liam-senpai is playing Ground Zeroes. His microphone is kind of poo poo, though, so he doesn't sound like his youthful self.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think Matt and Liam were also hampered a lot by not being online when they did their playthrough. A lot of Pat's best coaching was "hey, pay attention to how much poo poo's on the ground over here."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjiPSW-8Sg

I don't understand how the most entertaining thing I watch every week someone became "four Canadians open boxes."

is this the future

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I'm watching those super intensely because I hope that they got the thing I sent already. Maybe you'll be able to tell what it is if they have???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm waiting for them to open a viper box, personally.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I was a big fan of these guys up until a little over a year ago, when I remember Matt said something (in a tweet, I think) I found rather vile about Anita Sarkeesian which left a bad taste in my mouth, so I took a hiatus from their content.

Starved of entertainment recently, I returned and watched the Deadly Premonition playthrough, which I found compelling. Regardless of any other criticisms I have of the gang, I really have to commend their zest for their chosen pastime, and the way they seem to pass their thrills on to their audience- which is certainly an admirable trait for their form of media production.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

I was a big fan of these guys up until a little over a year ago, when I remember Matt said something (in a tweet, I think) I found rather vile about Anita Sarkeesian which left a bad taste in my mouth, so I took a hiatus from their content.

I've been hearing about this here and there for a while now yet nobody points out the exact source or video or whatever it is they specifically said. people say it was a tweet, others say it was Matt and Woolie bashing her in one of their playthroughs, but I've never found the actual thing itself.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I've been hearing about this here and there for a while now yet nobody points out the exact source or video or whatever it is they specifically said. people say it was a tweet, others say it was Matt and Woolie bashing her in one of their playthroughs, but I've never found the actual thing itself.

I don't recall the exact details myself unfortunately, since so much time has passed. But I do recall one specific moment where I saw something and said "Okay, I've had enough of these guys for a while." As I understand it, this sort of thing has since been curtailed, and I want to emphasise that I think they're good at producing the content they put out. I don't want to come across as one of those guys who come into a thread saying "This thing is poo poo." (That said I think critical discussion is valid, or I wouldn't have posted)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Literally the only time I remember her coming up is, commenting on another video by a woman talking about videogame issues, he said something like 'man I wish you got the funding Sarkeesian got'. I'm pretty sure I've seen most of their poo poo and all and don't remember her coming up as anything more than a 'yea I kinda disagree with some of her poo poo but it's hosed up that people act like such assholes about it'. Like, they make fun of poo poo like the Mighty Number 9 drama and all so they're hardly taking the internet idiots' sides often about this poo poo.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
They talked on the podcast recently about the "Feminist Frequency might not be a non-profit organisation" drama and they seemed quite reasonable about it. I kinda get the impression they don't like Anita very much but they're smart/professional enough not to bring it up in the podcast, and they all (Pat especially) have good opinions about most things.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Roach Warehouse posted:

I do remember them being critical of how Sarkeesian will use an image of a game without addressing the actual game itself or the context for the clip. Which is absolutely a thing she does and could be much better about, but I've never heard them disagree with her about her points, just the way she makes them at times.

EDIT: yeah, and the whole non profit thing, but that's recent and unrelated to the actual issues of women in games.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah you can disagree or dislike someone without being a loving psycho about it. Not that the internet is ever so properly restrained, but hey, the Best Friends seem to be!

I kind of hope that once they've all beaten Dark Souls 2 they consider doing a special spoilercast for it because I want to hear them all really dig into it.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I had initially written these guys off when I first found their videos because they felt like any other hyperactive dudes yell at video games youtube channel, but I gave them a second chance when there was a groundswell of approval for them in the games's podcasts thread. I'm so glad I did. While I have unlimited love for the Giant bombcast and Idle thumbs they both suffer from the same problem where if they even managed to play a game this week they sounds exhausted just from talking about it.

Even if the podcast sometimes devolves in to unintelligible yelling occasionally it's so refreshing to hear dudes talk who are genuinely enthusiastic about the things they're playing and don't sound like playing video games is a chore that they put up with.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Yeah i agree with this, someone actually liking video games is refreshing. Their mailbags are hype as gently caress as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh god Matt and Pat are doing the Last of Us DLC and already back into the argument about the ending's morals. This is gonna be good.

"You know when we turn this recording off we're gonna have a huge fight, right? About scooping kid brains out?"

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoEwqI4AYas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4MKRHz6y80

You can never have too many fists, bitch or otherwise.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 29, 2014

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ImcMrcLDY

Hey, whadyaknow, the guys who stated multiple times not to send them weapons get a weapon in the mail and talk about how sick they are of getting weapons.

It's been creating a short controversy with some of their fans apparently about them being assholes about getting a sword from someone anonymous in the mail, but they cleared it up. Honestly, if they tell you not to send them any more weapons, don't act surprised when they talk about not wanting a weapon in their homes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it'd be a dick move if like, Pat bitched about getting a Persona thing, because he constantly talks about his big boner for Persona so you can see where someone would go 'what man I thought you liked this poo poo'.

They constantly say 'please we have no desire to own weapons, don't give us any' so yea when a dude sends them a sword (albeit a kinda cool one) they go 'drat dude we said don't do this thing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They didn't sound like they were being assholes about it. Just fatigued at getting another weapon in the mail.

Their apology about it sounds pretty sincere, at least.