Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Name 'em after the kind of person they pretend to be. Fighting types can be Bruce Lees, dark types can be Al Pacinos, fire types can be Thich Quang Ducs, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
In the Rx0 video, Matt claims that there's an alternate universe where they made X-Files action figures.

It's this universe. It made a fantastic 2014 Christmas present.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

Did they have the Muldermobile and Scullysub?

No, just Mulder's medical gurney and Scully's giant green science pod made of space technology. She didn't get that until season 4, but the action figures were for the movie, so.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Yinlock posted:

Does it have real Denial Action? "I don't know what this thing behind me is, it could be anything."

People dump on Scully a little hard. She was way into the paranormal too, she just wanted proof--which is why she was so annoyed the episode she was two minutes into an alien autopsy only to realize it was a cadaver in a rubber costume.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

FauxGateau posted:

Why did Cable have the dumb eye again?

With half his face metal, it's hard to make expressions, so he flashes it to show surprise or intense anger with a tiny switch in his left hand.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

I mean it's weird if you're comparing it to the ritual 99.9% of human beings who own a bed with covers perform, which is "get under the covers and sleep".

I thought that was what he did? Plus, 45 minutes of, "Stare at the ceiling and fret about life," which I'm willing to bet more than .1% of the population does.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Foxhound posted:

Can someone explain to me the appeal of fighting games and how they aren't just advanced rock-paper-scissors simulators?

If you take Sirlin too seriously he'll only become powerful, and no one wants that.

Move a will always beat move b when both moves are performed precisely. If I screw up on the timing of my anti-air uppercut, it won't work--or if you jump short so your hop in attack doesn't actually reach me so my perfectly timed response still falls short. So if you want to jump in on me and I keep stuffing you out of the sky, you can drive in faster to beat out my reactions, or slower to bait out a psychic DP, or you can start mixing in fireballs and traps, or you can approach on foot and jump past me for the cross up, or you can switch tactics until I'm tossed off of my DP plan, or you can just mash your face into that wall. And all that's assuming you want to, for some reason, force a jump in attack--if you can predict that I'm going to respond to your assault with a DP, then why aren't you using your quarter second of strategic insight to drive in with something that beats it?

A (good) fighting game is a simple, two character strategy game played at maximum speed. Juggle your dozens of options, choose a small selection of favorite ones, rotate through them often enough so your technique doesn't get stale, vary your executions and responses to expand that small selection to an almost impossibly wide one, and figure out what your opponent is trying to do, all against a background of kinetically pleasing action and big titty guitar witches. Saying that's the same as a playground game is intentionally reductionist.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Foxhound posted:

Doubt the commentary can get better than this?

Mahvel runs a little fast for coherent commentary.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Yardbomb posted:

Barring like bug abuse, I don't think I've ever seen anyone legit cheating in a fighting game. I mean first off how would you really do it, you screw with some kind of trainer and beat the guy in one hit, then they just dodge you any other time? Boy that sounds exciting. Second, it just feels like it'd make you look like even more of a sad nerdo than usual online cheating stuff really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os48KpNuDww

e:f,b

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think I've seen a game as padded as this Naruto game.

Is this your first Ubisoft game?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
It's not like he knows what parents are like.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Incorrect; Naruto is Atsura Otsutsuki.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I got the first volume of GTO a really long time ago at a discount book store but never got around to the rest of the series, I hear it goes some really, really dumb places later on. Like, Happy Days-level nonsense shenanigans, does it jump the shark at a point like I've heard, or what?

Things... happen in GTO. There's Heihachi, the 98th opponent when Onizuka said he could defeat 100 high school students in arm wrestling consecutively.

The ending's not bad, though, and there's a series of good conclusions to the various plotlines. The animosity with the vice principal is concluded especially well. But a lot of the stories near the end revolve around how badly he wants to sleep with teenage girls, and all the sequels to GTO don't go anywhere or do anything besides remind you of the original.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Woolie mentioned Lucha Underground sometime ago, and someone on this thread got hyped, so I finally decided to check it and the first loving match is Blue Demon Jr vs Chavo Guerrero Jr, I barely know wrestling and I know this is top billing.

Those are real wrestlers? I thought they made up all the characters for the series.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Alright, where are those mods? They sure aren't in the steam workshop.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Apparently I do not know how to browse.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
He's just so eager to ignore his allies and sell out humanity to jump good.

Woolie should like Dr. Tygan, they're both filthy collaborators.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Kimmalah posted:

Woolie confirmed to be OK with a dystopian future full of genocide and weird genetic engineering as long as he gets a wall run.

How many wall running humans have you seen? He's OK with this dystopian future as long as the aliens promise to be working on wall run technology in their enormous factories no humans are allowed in.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Dias posted:

Huh, as also an XCom noob I'm also going for Sectoids first above everything else because I always get panicked, throw a grenade and kill my troops if I focus on ADVENT Officers instead.

I've only seen one grenade throw from a panic'd soldier. Granted, it was hilarious and blew up two of my own dudes. But in general, a single soldier or leader is much, much more likely to kill one of your men than a panicked soldier will, and if you kill a soldier while remaining in cover, the sectoid will almost certainly waste his turn making a zombie.

Sectoids suck and can be largely ignored. Later psychic enemies are much, much more dangerous, and can't be ignored.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Dias posted:

My third mission (on Normal, mind you), had a soldier get panicked and grenade down both TWO soldiers AND the VIP I was supposed to rescue. Yaaaaaaay?

That sectoid seems like an achiever. You should hire him!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ok, I have tried to play XCom (And derivatives such as Xenonauts) a bunch of times. I never manage to get past the first alien Base invasion. Pat, who finished XCom 1 and was lead developer of XCom 2 , plays exactly the same way I do. How the gently caress did he finish the first game playing this way? I'm seriously asking, I don't understand how somebody playing the game in this fashion could actually complete it.

Quicksave Quickload carries most scrubs through the various XComs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

hoobajoo posted:

I don't want to dweeb out over competitive Magic players too much, but they do typically play faster than the average Joe Wizard. Rounds are timed in tournaments, they have to make the most of that time. They still stop to think on hard decisions or tricky sequences, but that's not the same thing as just taking forever to do an obvious play, which is what I'm talking more about.

Counterthesis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kcRIe39_M

That is a man cutting his opponent's deck.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Pat would be fine if they weren't playing on Hard.

Pat might do better if he occasionally reloaded before firing his gun with a stationary soldier. Or if he took cover on the side of an object that had no aliens. Or if he threw a 3x3 radius grenade between two enemies five spaces apart, and then didn't blame hitting neither of them on bugs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Why is Pat pretending Guts never forgives anyone? He's befriended a bunch of enemies.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm only 6 volumes into Berserk and I'm by no means pretending to be an expert but my early thoughts are "puck is annoying, the band of the hawk is cool" which I imagine isn't terribly unique of an opinion.

Ha ha ha!

Oh, you poor poo poo.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Don't be fooled; what hosed the run was Pat losing every single mission.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Pigbuster posted:

I might be mistaken here, I'm going off of my own experiences, but I'm fairly certain Pat would've won that mission---

My experiences say that Pat couldn't have won any mission.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I don't get how Nintendo puts out one or more Kirby games every year and all Metroid gets in like 5 years is a spinoff noone asked for. I get that Japan is apparently not crazy for Metroid, but do Kirby games seriously sell well anymore? I feel like I never hear anyone actually talk about them anymore.
Kirby games are fantastic for the very young crowd, an audience where there isn't very much competition of any real quality. Metroid games have been positioned to compete with other action games featuring emotionally vulnerable supermodel waifus, and there is a ton of competition for that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Baal posted:

Why the gently caress is Pat saying Mercenaries is a tertiary mode, when it's been one of the most enjoyed and played parts of RE since RE4? Like it's always been a huge attraction to these games and even got a spinoff game that was also a lot of fun, if not needed to be on consoles rather than the 3DS.

Well, there's the fact you need to slog through all goddamn four of those campaigns before it unlocks.

I don't want to spend five hours failing to save dozens of innocents only to fight Simmons a dozen times. I certainly don't want to repeat that three more times before I get to the fun part of the game.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

HGH posted:

Is Minecraft some sort of weird self inflicted punishment? Even after their explanations I don't get the guys' logic. I seriously hope they quit at Episode 1 or something but...

They took a game they didn't think they would enjoy and tried as hard as they could to ruin it, because that might be funny.

Hasn't been yet. I wish they paid enough attention to the plot to, you know. Understand the choices. Recognize the main character's name. Not give up on talking about the game until at least thirty seconds in.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

You'd think it would be hard to make something called The Ninja War boring, but Naruto manages with flying colors.

It gets easier when you realize The Ninja War is actually zombies vs. ninjas.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a moot point since by the time Deus Ex 1 rolls around augmentation has been replaced with surgery free and equally effective nanomachines.

In Deus Ex, one of the major antagonists is Gunther Hermann, an enhanced cyborg who's lost his future because the new model (protagonist and nanomachine enhanced JC Denton) has better technological specifications. His employers eventually send him on a suicide mission because it's cheaper and easier to upgrade new soldiers to top of the line models than to break Gunther down and rebuild him again. Gunther embraced human augmentation, and in the long run it left him obsolete and useless.

Just upgrading people by slapping machines in them isn't a great way to guarantee a better future.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

DumbparameciuM posted:

Compared to Adam Jensen he's hot dogshit

That's just polygon count.

Poor Hermann. UNATCO received a shipment of skull guns several days after Gunther died.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ArclightBorealis posted:

Honestly, I didn't see the mechanical aug issue regarding Gunther and Anna as that big a deal in the grand scheme of things compared to the melting pot of every major and minor conspiracy theory imaginable that made up original Deus Ex's plot. Yeah, it was present, but not at every moment when you're dicking around in places like Hong Kong and Paris where every poor sod is expositing about secret societies and poo poo with 100% seriousness.

Right at the beginning of Deus Ex you get to see some soldiers discussing whether or not Gunther's a huge shining example of the ideal soldier, or doomed to be thrown away because of his part in the, "Cult of the Machine," the meme that improving yourself by replacing your body with machines will help. Later in the game, he's sent on a suicide mission because his owner is tired of listening to him bitch about getting upgrades to stay competitive with other soldiers--his desire to improve himself is considered a liability by the very people who employ him to kill their enemies. He's had a long career of doing that very successfully--somewhere they mention that he's got a kill count of well over a thousand combatants, which is nuts.

Deus Ex makes a clear statement that treating humans as disposable equipment is an absolute evil, whether it be sending outdated soldiers to be slaughtered by the newest model so you don't have to pay their retirement, or murdering millions with a bio engineered plague to jerk politicians around with artificially limited stores of the cure. All three endings--the AI god, the collapse of governments for city-states, and the triumph of the illuminati--are attempts to protect all humans, not just those with the best and newest augmentations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
The newest trailer shows that a certain character will be in the Civil War movie. Thing is, they announced that character about a year ago, sooooooooooooooooo who gives a gently caress. Oh, wait, Woolie and Liam do, because they watch every single trailer and are offended that the trailers are telling them things because they wanted to go into the movie not knowing anything about it, even though they discussed that very character being in the movie back on the podcast when he was first announced.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

cmykjester posted:

I can't believe Hyperdimension Neptunia is successful enough to have like 7 loving videogames. They have to be super cheap to make.

You're in charge of green-lighting Japanese video games. You get a game in front of you which says that video games and the video game industry is as sexy as a mostly naked sixteen year old girl. What's your call?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Smash Bros sucks, no Spiderman

That is an amazingly balanced metagame! Eat a dick, all other fighters.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Superman is the best of us.

The best of us doesn't let his own father die rather than stick a sock over his head to protect his identity and save the goddamn day.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
David Hayter feels bad because he tried super hard for years to do the best he could for a role that meant a lot to him and got thrown away like a Konami exec sent to the pachiko mines? What a weakling, only morons feel remorse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Talk more about Watamote because I saw it and I was thinking about looking at it but then someone described it as 'horrible anti-social girl is a terrible person for 24 minutes' and I lost all will to take a look at it.

Watamote is about a socially awkward young girl who wants to be more popular and have more friends, but is deeply ashamed of everything she ever thinks about ever, embarrassed by her sexual inexperience, (I think she's like fifteen) and holds every single person in her class she supposedly wants to be friends with in complete contempt. As a result, she spends most of her life hiding inside thinking about murder and penises.

That young man she's propositioning is her brother, by the way.

She actually has a few good friends who keep an eye on her, which is nice. Still, if you're neurotic or were ever a teenager, reading Watamote is genuinely painful.