Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I had initially written these guys off when I first found their videos because they felt like any other hyperactive dudes yell at video games youtube channel, but I gave them a second chance when there was a groundswell of approval for them in the games's podcasts thread. I'm so glad I did. While I have unlimited love for the Giant bombcast and Idle thumbs they both suffer from the same problem where if they even managed to play a game this week they sounds exhausted just from talking about it.

Even if the podcast sometimes devolves in to unintelligible yelling occasionally it's so refreshing to hear dudes talk who are genuinely enthusiastic about the things they're playing and don't sound like playing video games is a chore that they put up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Occupation posted:

So I tried to listen to the podcast because the op sold it as "funnier than the bombcast" and they immediately did the two things I cannot loving stand in any podcast, which is talking over each other and yelling into the microphone without warning. do they ever stop doing that or does it continue to sound like four unmedicated ADHD sufferers discovering audio technology for the first time

I had a similar reaction the first time I tried listening. It wasn't until i was several podcasts in before things clicked and certain mannerisms stopped bothering me.

I wouldn't go in trying to compare it directly to the Bombcast. They are two wildly different beasts. The reason I like the Best Friendscast is because it's such a contrast to other video game podcasts.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I like Woolie. He's the Ryan Davis of their group dynamic. He's the foundation that keeps their podcast sane and moving. If he wasn't there it would probably be too rambling and aimless (and arguments would even go on longer than they already do).

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Pat needs some kind of shock collar that goes off every time he says "yanno what I mean?" in the dark souls thing.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

This is perfect. Early on Pat was still saying it a lot, but you could tell from the cuts that they were 5-6 minutes apart at least. It comes to a head at the dragonrider/ornstien fights where he's dropping yaknowhatimeans every 20 seconds. I felt like I was having a stroke when I first watched that video.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

HGH posted:

Also Woolie went on a posting spree and supposedly

Where was this?

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Dexie posted:

They're loving him up because he's listening to Pat's awful advice and has him screeching in his ear. YouknowwhatImean?

If Pat would just chill out and let Woolie try things himself and learn from his own mistakes, things would be going a lot smoother.

Really he has to stop trying to micromanage each button press. Second to second fight advice will always arrive a second after they actually needed to swing/roll/estus/whatever.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Pat mea culpa over all his knowhatimeans in today's dark souls vid. :toot:

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm pretty sure Pat has no idea how STR/DEX bonuses work at all. Otherwise I'm not sure why he'd be hyping up the mace one minute and then saying they're not using a str/dex weapon the next.

str/dex scaling in ds2 is terrible (at least last time I played) so only committing the bare minimums to wield a weapon is good advice

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Commissar Ken posted:

Matt, I need to know if Liam is ok. I'm afraid he might have been struck really hard by the irony bus after saying he doesn't think people should blanket statement stuff when getting upset about Sonic.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Matt, if you are taking feedback for the site, the #1 thing that makes me just go back to youtube is when the video will load fine for ~1 minute and then have buffering issues. I always just go back and watch on youtube when it happens.

The already watched tag on youtube is also nice, but I can live without it.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I can't believe pokken fighters actually happened.

I'm really surprised they didn't announce a wii-u version right off the bat.

From how I understand it, the Japanese arcade scene is kind of it's own entity. Anything to move that brick.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Rodyle posted:

I guess you can give it credit for the crazy ArchDemon fights but most of them are very gimmicky and easy. The only exceptions are Garl/Astraea and False King, who to be fair are both pretty rad.

After Dark2 I like DeS' gimmick bosses even more. I will take shooting laserbeams at a giant flying stingray over another humanoid dodge three swings and then counter attack fight any day.

I would even argue most of DeS' bosses are more memorable than Dark1 bosses. Especially if you just compare the two base games. Without the prepare to die DLC everything after Anor Londo is kind of a slog.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Charles Martel posted:

Pat summed up my thoughts about raids in MMOs perfectly. Hearing "DKP" again made me wince. gently caress all that poo poo. That's just one of the many reasons why World of Warcraft was both my first and last MMO game.

I feel like they're getting deliberately misconstrued in a lot of cases. It's 10 years later and people still use that soundclip/ytmnd to dismiss what is essentially just participation points. Which is kind of besides the point as barely any guilds bother using DKP anymore. Most just use an open /roll system.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also most good MMO's have basically said "gently caress everything about that" and use entirely different, less lovely systems. The Best friends have the same problem a lot of people do about MMO's where WoW is the only one they really know and assume everything's the same. Which is a safe bet, since for a long long while every new MMO was a WoW clone.

Giant Bomb just did a video series a little while back that basically just confirmed people who only played WoW at launch have no idea what a mmo is anymore.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Compendium posted:

This kind of makes me think about how the long term zombie apocalypse narrative for the Walking Dead (comics, tv show, game) seems to start up at a high and then kind of trickles slowly down from there. The losses and emotional turmoil are much more effective in the beginning because we see the process of decay, but with Season 2 of the game, it's like you said; poo poo going to poo poo because why not, more misery and everything is terrible.

It's worth mentioning the two guys who were lead designers on season 1 left the company to start their own indy studio.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Dexie posted:

The cracks in the DS2 playthrough are starting to show. I really thought Woolie was going to snap and let Pat have it for a moment there.

I love pat, but I wanted to slap his face when he spent 3-4 minutes trying to hound woolie over the stupid smelter wedge thing.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Is there a reason Dark souls went from every other day to it seems like once a week? Back to back Japan trips seem like the obvious answer but it seemed like from how long it took "know what I mean? Perfect" to catch up with them that they were a month ahead posting schedule.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

From what I understand you don't get the goodies by the elevator if you don't kill spiderwoman so watching the guys run from her had me slappin my forehead a bit.

Judging from what was there it didn't seem like too big a loss though.

Also wow the Fall part 5, even with the warning I was still unprepared. Good thing it's one of the worst LP's on the channel (Sorry Woolie and Liam)

I had been waiting for the LP to round a corner and become more interesting because I remember Liam mentioning that he thought it turned out really well audio issues aside. Unfortunately it never really grabbed me and when I hit the audio issues episode I decided to just not bother watching further.

It might just be an issue with how I consume SBFP material where it's generally something I have on a second screen and am only playing half attention to. When I hear something hype going on I'll perk up and pay more attention, but otherwise I'll just kind of gloss over the game dialog.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
How much longer does TEW go on? From watching the recent videos dumping all the Rubic backstory on us I had assumed we were nearing the end game.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Friday night mount your friends.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

no woolie, nooooooooooooooooooo

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I'm really enjoying the silent hill LP. I never played it growing up, but had half watched (it was on a second monitor while I did other stuff) a LP of it a while ago. I understand the broad strokes of the story and whatnot and have absorbed a lot about the series through osmosis from just reading about video games on forums and whatnot.

I understand why some people, especially people who are deep in to SH lore would find Pat's clubbing you over the head with explanations irritating, but for me it's filling in a white space I have been curious about but didn't feel like doing the legwork to fill in myself.

I suspect there are plenty of other people in my situation out there, but as always it's the discontents that will complain the loudest.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I think the good silent hills are a lot like dark souls/demon's souls where they're all so great but they both accumulate an audience who is unhappy no matter the playthrough

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is it just me or is the new episode of NMH extremely loud?

It starts out sounding super loud, and then I find myself dragging the volume slider back up as I go along in order to hear the in game dialog.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

beep by grandpa posted:

Also what would this thread's recommendation be for a SBF first time video or series for a friend who's not really into LPs? (As in, not antagonistic towards LPs but doesn't even really know much about LPs.)

I would show them some of the better fan animations. It would help them match a face with a voice. It also helps distill the funny bits down to something easily consumable before you jump in to some kind of crazy 18 hour lets play.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

goldblums eyes posted:

Everyone attacking that one dude for saying "don't talk about this thing on the podcast" made me sad :(. This thread has gone on a long streak without having an accident, and then everyone tripped into the cow grinder.

What are you talking about? Some random person showing up to start shouting apropos of nothing that we need to pretend like some stupid game doesn't exist because I guess the maker is a creep?

The attempt to prevent 'signal boosting' the problematic game you are doing exactly that. No one knew about it until people brought it up.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
It aggravates me so much that people so up and post about how this is the current state of affairs :( like they didn't stir the pot exactly to reach this conclusion.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

goldblums eyes posted:

I started the podcast again from the first episode.. When Liam is arguing a point and his voice gets high-pitched and you can tell he's blushing, it's the most cringeworthy thing ever. I never noticed it before, but holy poo poo I didn't realize I like Liam as little as I do. He's also really bad at trying to be funny in videos :/

I marathoned the early podcasts a long time ago and remember finding him frustrating, but It was just a specific couple of arguments that seemed to go on for 15 minutes. He's been fine ever since.

also

Rodyle posted:

Have you ever noticed how the other guys seem to secretly hate Patrick!!?!

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

goldblums eyes posted:

Uh. What are you trying to say here?

If you have never read the Giant Bomb thread, now is a great time to never start.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Beef Waifu posted:

I was really hoping that Matt would just go through with dropping and make Pockets their guy.

The Pockets groundswell is real.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Is Zach a rescue cat? He/she seems pretty timid every time they've been on camera.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
Today's SMRPG ending is perfect.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Rhonne posted:

I dunno, for their first or second time going through the game, I thought they did alright. Then again, I didn't really know much about the game before watching the videos, so I don't really know what else they got wrong. The max heroes thing just stuck out to me because you could see the number right above the hero list while they were debating over which guy to take.

They did fine, it's just Darkest Dungeon has the same problem Hearthstone does where the only gameplay is making decisions, so when you watch someone new (or bad) at the game make the wrong decision over and over it can wear at you. Thankfully Liam jumped on Pat early and convinced him to just kill dudes instead of using AoE attacks to do a whopping 2 more damage. It's a shame they struggled with party composition and unit positioning but the way you learn in this game is by loving up and getting everyone murdered.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

RareAcumen posted:

Hello, I am the person who recently posted screenshots of Xenoblade Chronicles X and how it'll be a fun game and I'd like to rescind my statement as it'll actually be awful anime trash. Again, I am extremely sorry for misleading people.

Oh no, the game has been ruined!!

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I gave handhelds a pass for the longest time because them being behind the times meant I got to skip all the bullshit of modern consoles have. Just put a cart in the plastic thing and press on.

Now you're just jumping through all the same hoops, but it takes twice as long, for a shittier service. (Compared to consoles, which is already the shittier version of the PC experience)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
It won't be an issue once they make it past the easy stuff.