Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I was a big fan of these guys up until a little over a year ago, when I remember Matt said something (in a tweet, I think) I found rather vile about Anita Sarkeesian which left a bad taste in my mouth, so I took a hiatus from their content.

Starved of entertainment recently, I returned and watched the Deadly Premonition playthrough, which I found compelling. Regardless of any other criticisms I have of the gang, I really have to commend their zest for their chosen pastime, and the way they seem to pass their thrills on to their audience- which is certainly an admirable trait for their form of media production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I've been hearing about this here and there for a while now yet nobody points out the exact source or video or whatever it is they specifically said. people say it was a tweet, others say it was Matt and Woolie bashing her in one of their playthroughs, but I've never found the actual thing itself.

I don't recall the exact details myself unfortunately, since so much time has passed. But I do recall one specific moment where I saw something and said "Okay, I've had enough of these guys for a while." As I understand it, this sort of thing has since been curtailed, and I want to emphasise that I think they're good at producing the content they put out. I don't want to come across as one of those guys who come into a thread saying "This thing is poo poo." (That said I think critical discussion is valid, or I wouldn't have posted)

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I think they capture the fun of the first 10 minutes of a friend showing you a videogame and you shoot the poo poo, without falling into the next half hour where you wish your friend would stop showing you a videogame.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm watching the Resident Evil 4 playthrough currently, and Pat's descent from obsessively organising his inventory to 'everything out of place all the time' is funny to me every time it happens.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Murdered: Soul Suspect seems like a game full of baffling design decisions.

Why is no one questioning why there's the ghost of a crow in the church? What unfinished business could a crow have?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've been waiting for this playthrough since this game was announced. So hyped.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Talked with a friend about the icon thing and he wanted to do something just for funsies (just seein if there is a way to get the 4 in a small block)

Just what he's doin now :v:

I don't understand, why is the axe in Matt's hand and not at the bottom of a chasm?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

4 (through the Best Friends) was my first exposure to Yakuza, and it all made sense to me. It's got kind of a "the next generation" vibe for the first half or so I think.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I was skeptical of how well a splitscreen LP would work, but then I enlarged the youtube player and I think it's going great.

Pat's reaction on finding the shotgun was hilarious.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

This was the first Saturday Morning Scrublords I've watched, based on comments in this thread. I really dig the opening as a sequel to the Friday night fisticuffs opening. Top work, zaibatsu.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Although Until Dawn has had a lot of jump scares so far, I think it's also using them (and their absence) in a really interesting way. We know this is a jump-scare game, and I think in a bunch conversations that have occurred the camera focus has shifted from being on either of characters involved, to the spooky darkness behind them, or the nearby unshuttered window- created an expectation that something's going to appear. A lot of the time it doesn't, but for me at least it's contributed to the tense atmosphere.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

After playing MGS for a few days I thought I'd check out the LP for it, and wow, Liam's devil-may-care playstyle is amazing.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I just learned Yakuza 5 is out in the West, and while I know the Yakuza 4 LP hit some fatigue, I'd love to see a Best Friends Yakuza 5 for the following reasons:

Their Yakuza 4 playthrough was what got me into their channel beyond the early Machina episodes.

It's one of the only LPs of theirs I've watched out of pure fascination with the crazy game. (The other being Deadly Premonition)

My PS3 ate poo poo recently, so LPs are my only means of experiencing the game (and I'd rather have people who heighten the experience).

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Pat has already said they won't do it because he doesn't want to mess up sales.

Aw dang. That's fair, can't begrudge him that. Happened to look at his Twitter just now and I'm happy they're doing a video at least.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Did I miss an episode of Metal Wolf or something? What is Jody talking about when she's like "Mr President! Why did you come to save us ... After we betrayed you?"

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Brutakas posted:

I didn't think I liked the Super Best Friends. Turns out I probably do like them because I've watched a bunch of their shitstorm videos without knowing it was them. I enjoyed the banter and I like that they are willing to use editing.

I always remember someone in the early days of this thread recounting a friend of theirs getting on board with the Zaibatsu and saying "these guys are video games." Their legit excitement about cool and/or super dumb stuff is just so endearing.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I remember the DS edition was kind of a screen destroyer and a multi-tasking nightmare, I hear the iOS port remedied those issues though.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Something I'm noticing/loving in the DE:HR playthrough is how "lived-in" Jensen feels. The various sidequest people all feel like they have pretty authentic histories with Jensen that are communicated through context clues. There's no "Whaaaat? You don't remember me? I am Megan's mother. Megan is your ex."

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I can't wait for the episode of Deus Ex where Pat forgets to save before capping some vital NPC.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Holy moly. I think Matt just dropped a The Happiest Millionaire reference in Dark Souls 3 part 5 with "Dilly dallying, shilly shallying."

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Tifa Lockheart, friend

Ah, right.

It seemed a little unlikely he'd reference that lovely disney musical.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

There's a certain Majima quest I neeeed Pat to do on screen, so he can meet young Ryuji

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

The writers did the best job with making Roy Earle be a real piece of poo poo just by being what a normal LA detective was like in the 40s.

Like, you could feel how blatantly routine his assholery was back then.

I think it says a lot about their depiction of the era that Phelps The Insufferably Straight Arrow just sat silently on the sidelines during his shitheel parade.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I just played through that Dojima HQ action stage and I'm really sad Matt and Pat missed the team up heat moves you could do with Oda and Tachibana.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm not usually one to complain, but I feel like Pat is kind of missing the point when he was talking about Nishiki in the latest Yakuza.

Makes me wonder how they'll take it later in the game when he talks down Kiryu from murdering a guy, because that kind of thing changes you, bro.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

nerdman42 posted:

God I forgot how baffling and vaguely irritating the final homicide case is in LA Noire. What a weird way for that desk to end

I enjoyed playing it at the time, but I think the execution is flawed, and even if it weren't it really kills my enthusiasm for replaying the game, knowing I can't make the right choice in those cases.

On the way through the desk, all these little things not quite adding up was a neat overarching plot. I just wish the ultimate resolution was say, on Phelps' or the Captain's initiative rather than the killer apparently luring you into a death battle or letting you catch/kill him for no real satisfying reason.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The only thing I know about Tekken is from the time I got drunk and watched the lovely(?) anime movie, and all I can remember is some lady asking a guy "Are you just angry at your father because he threw you off that cliff?"

So what I'm saying is this LP has met my expectations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

Oh god, I almost forgot about that stupid film strip you find in LA Noire. Why does it exist?!

I can see one of those guys making a recording as insurance against the others/ for a deal if potentially prosecuted, but that doesn't explain the cinematography. I suppose LA has a lot of directors turning to freelance espionage in tough times.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Help me remember what podcast "X-Files Base" originated from

Can't help you out re: podcast since I am wayyyy behind, but I first remember hearing it and having the joke elaborated on in an episode of Metal Wolf Chaos. They were fighting three other mecha in a western town or something.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Why does Matt keep saying "Terrace" like that?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm surprised Pat has gotten this far without realising he can solve the crusher puzzles by just freezing one in the upper position, rather than syncing them all up.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Doesn’t everyone who obsesses over power levels in the dragonball fiction get their arse kicked by someone who has decided they don’t give a poo poo about them? Feels like there’s a message there.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Those early beat downs still work for me, if only because they firmly demonstrate that getting into punching range of Jotaro (without any leverage) is almost always a losing proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

'Evil sex energy' is a great nickname for nebulous evil videogame energy.