Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Yeah the torch-off-the-leeches immediately stood out to me. When the bleed buildup started he goes right for the torch, so maybe someone just spoiled the mechanic for him ahead of time.

I don't think he's played ahead, though. If he has then he did a really good job at playing dumb on where to go in the graveyard.

Either way, I like the LP, and it's cool that all three of them find stuff they get excited about. Eager to see their reactions to a lot of the stuff coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Pat did it on the first try.

Don't know why I'm shocked.

Edit: Their reaction was still worth it though.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

So is Pat going to take down Aldrich or Yhrom first.

I would have bet on Aldritch, but with completely missing the lever...

Unless they go back to the platform and look around, it might just be Yhorm.

That's okay, though. The freakouts that will happen on the way to him will be golden. Seriously, that dungeon is crazy.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

People can complain about the grinding all they want but after looking back on the other two LPs, this has been an incredibly smooth ride. Only once have I been disappointed with how fast a boss was killed or anything like that, but it's still been a lot of fun. Then again, maybe I've just been charmed by the SKELETON WARRIORS.

It's also even more obvious how important having a huge health bar is because, even at his level, Pat is still taking huge hits. The Berserk-dogs made it clear that the shield goes a long way.

Long live the spears.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I think the Aldritch fight played out perfectly, though. Also, editing down the deaths is a great idea. You can still get an appreciation for "yeah, this boss is a total badass" while not having to actually sit through the repetition.

I think people get mad because the bosses are cool, and they want the cool parts to last longer.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Clearly it's an inversion of the illusory wall spell and was developed by Seath back in DS1.

I mean, duh.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I think the big advantage of the switch-off style is that then more than one person is invested in what is happening on screen.

Pat was losing his poo poo over a lot of stuff (granted mostly DS1 callbacks), but Woolie and Matt would have been waaay more into the cool stuff if they were playing as well. I know that's unrealistic with three people, though, and the drawbacks may very well outweigh the benefits.

Like on the final episode for DS3 Matt/Woolie honestly tried their hardest to get into the concept of how cool and badass the Soul of Cinder was, but it was nowhere near the intense moment of them fighting the last bosses of Bloodbourne. I think that's because only Pat was actually playing so only he had a truly vested interest. Also the callback thing.

It's tough when one person is completely losing their poo poo and everyone else is like "yeah, that's cool I guess..."

Having said that, I think Matt definitely needs to be there if they do DS1, whether he wants to touch the controller or not.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

The lack of marking out was 100% due to Matt and Woolie not being into Souls like Pat is. Look at Odalus, Matt wasn't playing but was still super invested in everything.

I completely acknowledge that a lot of it was due to callbacks, but I guess I missed all the tense moments from the Bloodborne bosses. With multiple people playing it was "go-time". And you can't tell me that someone isn't more invested if they're playing as well.

This may also be the change in dynamic from two-person to three-person LPs. Maybe that's what I'm noticing?

Edit: I still really liked the LP, though.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Rodyle posted:

If only they were entertaining too.

Your opinions are bad, Chip is entertaining as hell

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

You're comparing the hardest Souls game to maybe the easiest, so naturally the bosses are less tense. DS2 also had a lot of tense moments even without Pat playing.

I don't think being on controls or not especially matters for investment. Matt was invested in RE4, Liam was invested in Barkley, Pay was invested in I Have No Mouth, on and on. What makes DS3 awkward is Pat is much more invested going in than the other two. I think that ended up making Woolie and Matt maybe feel a little left out, since they couldn't understand why Pat was excited half the time, which made it hard to get into.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. Also, having never played BB, I didn't have much of a way to compare them. I wonder how it would have gone if Liam were there since he'd played them all as well.

I do think there is a difference between the two person vs three person setup, though. Feels like there's a trade off where it's easier for the co-commentators to go off on tangents while something on screen is happening, but at the same time the extra person allows for more varied commentary. We never would have had the SKELETON BALL moment if Matt weren't there, and that was one of the best moments of the LP.

I guess I'm not even complaining at this point, just noticing poo poo.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Watching the Salt and Sanctuary video on Vessel, and two things come to mind:

1) Holy poo poo it really IS just Dark Souls, and

2) I understand explaining mechanics, but man do the SBFP guests really like to hand-hold when someone else is playing. "Okay kill them, roll past these, use that bonfire..."

Backseat gamers, everywhere.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

So what caused the JoJo resurgence? I know that SBFP has always been fans but it just seems so much more prominent now. It's not just them, either, as the fanart thread in PYF is full of the stuff.

As someone who isn't a JoJo fan I just kind of blank out/scroll past whenever it comes up. I don't actively dislike it, but man is it getting old quick.

Also before it's suggested, I just have zero interest in picking it up. I'm sure it's good but I don't have the time or drive for it right now.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Okay, that all makes more sense. To me it's like if ROBOTECH (that's right I said it) came back in full force and suddenly we were seeing art of Steven Universe characters piloting Valkyries everywhere.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I pity your Jojo-less existence.

I think I'll be fine.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Tae posted:

I mean, there is a new macross currently airing

That's cool to hear, but I'm not being inundated by it 24/7.

Indecisive posted:

I thought they should have cut it right when being sucked up through the door, not shown what's inside until the final video, cuts some of the impact doing it this way I think. Now of course due to the lovely upload cycle we have 2-3 days to wait for the finale.

I do think it was neat when that part ended right after Matt says "You're inside".

Whether the title drop was intentional or not, it was well timed.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

christ, I am watching the latest demon souls archives and german spy is a human sandbag

This is the only reason I don't like the streams. I'm sure GS is great on his own channel and all, but he just killed the Demon's Souls videos for me completely.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

maybe mute some of the jojo chat too

Agreed. It's inescapable.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

If you guys want a fairly comprehensive and chill LP of Illbleed, then check out SuperGreatFriend's channel.

(Any similarities in names are purely coincidental)

Also echoing the love for the new poo poo Storm intro.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I love the Omikron LP so much. I've watch a few of the episodes twice.

Serious kudos to these guys. I don't know how many friendships would survive an ordeal like this.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Still working my way through this week's podcast and, uh... did anyone find Pat's "I use a lock box of spare keys to condescend to my girlfriend" thing super uncomfortable?

The other guys didn't seem to think it was funny either.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I suppose, if it works for them. Was just kind of gross (in the context of a normal human relationship).

I'm sure I would feel different if Paige had been there to throw some bullshit right back at him.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Hey, if two people's particular brand of crazy match up well enough that it just works, then that's awesome. If only we could all be so lucky, really.

Also, does anyone really know how much is left of Omikron? I know it's the Game That Time Forgot, so there's not a ton of info about it.

Echoing that Omikron and the Shitstorm are the best long-running things on the channel at the moment.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Solitair posted:

I checked the FAQ they're using and making GBS threads on and they are in fact past the halfway point, possibly at two-thirds. There is one more area they have to go to, though.

I am more excited than I have any right to be.

Also with DS3 DLC coming out next Tuesday, we might see some Lucky Ted sometime soon. That's pretty rad.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Has Plague of Gripes ever been on the podcast?

It's not physically possible for me to care any less about any of the SBF background characters (GermanSpy, Austin, BunnyHop, Cranky, etc), except for Plague because he's actually funny/interesting. I'm sure the others are perfectly nice people but the second they get involved in any of the videos/casts, I tune out.

If they ever break the glass on a DS1 play through, hopefully it won't be a stream and/or is just the Zaibatsu.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Clearly the answer is to combine Plague and Paige into one super-human fusion as the fifth member of the Zaibatsu.

We will call it "Plaige".

Pat will be surprised.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Remembering back when they had the mailbag and they got those two super-expensive DVD sets of Gurren Lagan, I'm willing to bet they don't want a Patreon because they seemed really uncomfortable getting such an expensive gift. They kept repeating over and over not to buy them crazy expensive things and that the viewers should make sure they can take care of their own poo poo before even thinking of sending stuff like that.

Imagine how they'd feel if someone started sending them a ton of cash on a monthly basis. Doubly so if it's a bunch of 14 year old's sending them their allowance money. Or worse, some adult spending hard-earned money on a YouTube channel when it should be going to their rent/children/real life poo poo. Like Matt said in the video, "Guys, we just play video games!"

I can see it being about more than just tax complications or business models.

On a different topic, the new Omikron on Vessel (RIP) is perfect, especially when the Google results start to show up. I just hope it's not the end.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

SH3 was my first SH (yes I was confused about the plot), so pretty drat happy that it's finally getting its due on the channel. The music is goddamn amazing and I don't think any of the other games quite have the same atmosphere. Also it's cool that Matt's on controls.

I just wish the guys would get all the options menu stuff out of the way before they begin the videos.

Edit: Also I assume that Pat has already played ahead on the DS3 DLC? He seems to know more than he should.

Also, R.I.P. Vessel

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Phantasium posted:

No, I think that's just because the new area is a massive love letter to an area in DS1.

The thing that made me think that is when he stood on the snow bank and said "and now this will collapse". Seemed like he'd done it before.

Either way is fine, though, because the first video was fun.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I must have totally missed that, then.

Turns out you need to actually WATCH the videos.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Super hyped to know that Omikron will be returning, even if it will lead to the eventual death of 2-3 members of the Zaibatsu. Also, really enjoyed the DS3 DLC videos. I remember complaining a while back that having three people meant less attention to cool moments, but no such worries this time.

Picking up on the Liam chat, I honestly haven't watch a Liam-led LP since... Hm.

I think they should just let him play his bizarre anime titty games, even if it's solo. I still wouldn't watch but at least it'd probably get more than 12k views from the people who like that kind of thing.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

So I guess Minecraft means they either ran into a gap in the schedule that they needed to fill ASAP, or people pestered the poo poo out of them so bad they finally caved.

Either way, I can deal with two podcasts in one week.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

The only thing missing from this Minecraft Adventure video was Woolie's uneasiness about what they were doing. There was a tiny, TINY bit of that from Pat, but nowhere near the level of the previous video.

Instead Woolie just full-bore dismissed the entire game and stonewalled any potential mention.

The tides turned quick.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Gotta be honest, not looking forward to the constant PERSONA talk that will invade every episode of everything they do for the next six months after the game comes out.

Gonna be in the "fast forward the podcast" pile, along with the Lucha and JoJo talk.

Yes, I'm a bad person.

Grouchio posted:

Why we don't have a compilation video on this LP is beyond me.

I'm certain we will once the LP is done. That Spooky Cookies guy (lady?) always does a really good job with them.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

at least you acknowledge it.

Yeah, apologies for not being a True Super Best Friends Play Zaibastsu Fan.

Turns out you don't have to like everything they do. Who knew?

Edit: Also the "spoiler-free" talk can be just as annoying. In the last podcast Liam and Woolie were talking about some anime (Under the Dog or something?) and it was ten minutes of dancing around something that no one in the room had any idea about. "Oh man, that thing with those people at that part was SO AWESOME... but we can't talk about it" gets old.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 18, 2016

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Tae posted:

I hate when woolie talks most of the time

In terms of non-video game stuff, I find everything he has to say about his childhood and Grenada to be incredibly fascinating.

When he talks about relationships, though, he sounds like me from high school. And it hurts.

Hurts real bad.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

A Pokemon LP, headed by Liam, with support by Woolie.

Sounds like another 30 part, 12k views-per-video success to me.

Let's make it happen.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

At least we got Grand Wizard Wakka outta that. I say that's a fair trade.

Agreed.

I also think that's a big part of it. Final Fantasy has all of these weird characters and events that are fun to make jokes out of. Pokemon is... kinda samey (to me, anyway).

Like by default the main character has to be a bland nothing-person so the player can impose their own self into it. I'm sure the villains have a bit more character than that, but I don't know too much about them to say one way or the other. Hell, the most fun thing about the Nuzlocke run was the names they picked.

Maybe I'm wrong and the Sun and Moon games are these vast sweeping epics with really interesting characters and crazy plots..?

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I wonder what would happen if the Zaibatsu recieved a japanese copy of the game by some fan?

Liam will probably play it in his free time and taunt Pat with hints.

Unless that's a thing he's somehow morally opposed to doing for whatever bizarre reason he comes up with.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Justice Sloth posted:

You're actually onto something there, at least in terms of the villains, this generation looks to be the most interesting we've had in a while. Owed in part to Gamefreak finally backing down from the "Clandestine society of evil superscientists bent on poorly defined world domination/destruction" angle they've been pushing for so long and gone back to low-stakes organised thuggery.

I doubt they'll be massively better, but it should be a breath of fresh air at least.

That's pretty cool, then. At least they're attempting to evolve (PUNS).
I haven't touched one of them since the originals came out, but that has more to do with JRPGs in general than Pokemon in specific.

Mostly I'm just hoping for the LP of the first Dark Souls. Likely won't be until after the final DS3 DLC (if any time soon at all), but I hope they do include Matt again.I rescind all my previous criticisms of having three people on that LP.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

HGH posted:

The plot is just KLK but with Pokemon now.

I'm positive that a quick trip to the Fanart thread in PYF could find us this exact thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who put themselves in the public eye and then complain about the results, but man it has got to suck some serious balls to have a hundred or so people online screaming at you when you say the slightest thing wrong.

That's gotta gently caress with a person eventually, even if they are thick-skinned. Kudos to the guys for dealing with it in a humorous way.