Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here's the music that plays during the fight with Automaton. http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D74pqL3h_fEo :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm about half an hour in, and so far all I have to say is I want to have both the guys in the party as Performers 100% of the time, because the outfits and animations are hilarious. I wish the girls could have those shades too.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Dunban posted:

I think you need to finish upgrading the town to get the final bonus. Haven't done it myself yet, just read about it somewhere.

Yeah, that's pretty much what you need to do, every other bonus besides just playing the demo comes from beating the bosses. Good luck with that if you don't have any easy sources of Streetpasses since you can't get extra townspeople any other way besides local wireless, doing it with just the single free guy you're given probably takes over 100 hours.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Weird, they didn't put the Search function along with street passes? It allows you to gain an additional townsperson per day, but you need to connect online to do it. Odd that they didn't include that in the demo.

edit: you need to talk to the red guy that saves your game, he gives you the option to connect online and collect additional townspeople.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 15, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

Weird, they didn't put the Search function along with street passes? It allows you to gain an additional townsperson per day, but you need to connect online to do it. Odd that they didn't include that in the demo.

edit: you need to talk to the red guy that saves your game, he gives you the option to connect online and collect additional townspeople.

Yeah no, no online functionality at all in the demo. It's all greyed out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm utterly loving the music in this game. It reminds me of the old PS1 Final Fantasies in a way I haven't experienced since The Last Story :allears:.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just finished the demo it seems. All that's left is to idle the last upgrade for all four stores, which I assume is what is needed for the last of the 7 item carry overs to the full game.

I generally enjoyed it. It can be loving confusing at first and hard as balls if you don't know what you are doing and don't have experience with this sort of game. But once you get a general feel for it, it is rather fun and there is a lot of choice in there if you put the effort in with mastering jobs.

Quite a long demo too. I think I got more out of this free demo than I did a bunch of eShop original software to be honest.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much what you need to do, every other bonus besides just playing the demo comes from beating the bosses. Good luck with that if you don't have any easy sources of Streetpasses since you can't get extra townspeople any other way besides local wireless, doing it with just the single free guy you're given probably takes over 100 hours.

You're given two guys. One from the beginning, and one after you beat the third boss. You have to talk to a guy in city during the day to get it. So yeah, 8 hours and 20 minutes until I've gotten all the bonuses. :confuoot:

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Yeah, I noticed you can get a second guy for free later when I was talking to dudes after doing almost everything.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

There's also a version of that song with vocals by Revo. There is an entire album with vocal versions of some of the songs from the game that is pretty awesome.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So what tactics did you all take a liking to? My final setup was Agnes as a Knight, Tiz as a Swordmaster, Ringabel as a Performer, and Edea as a Ninja. Agnes had Bushido, Tiz had Chivalry, Ringabel had White Magic and Edea had whatever the hell, I took the Freelancer thing so she could Examine.

My general strategy was to have everyone except Ringabel guard the first turn, who used Catch Me, which puts him at the top of the enemy's poo poo list. Then, Agnes and Tiz took turns using Nothing Ventured and Full Cover on Ringabel. That way I could keep him constantly protected, while barely taking any damage, and countering for massive damage. And even if Ringabel did take damage, it was reduced thanks to the level 3 White Mage ability. Edea, meanwhile, went all in. Brave her up all the way, then Utsusemi to protect herself, buff up, and counter, and then went ham with the damage. Wish I had taken her through Red Mage so she could gain BP as well, but eh. She also had the Performer's level 4 ability, so the longer the battle lasted, the stronger she got. And that was basically it, Ringabel used his turns to refresh Catch Me, use Love Power, and just heal up when needed. Super fun.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I've got a question about how leveling and jobs interact in this game.
Do your jobs influence your stat gains?
Also, are all characters equally suited to all jobs or are you encouraged to e.g. use a specific character as a healer?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Dammit, EU is getting this game way before NA. Guess it's recompense for SMTIV still not being out there (or even having a release date, sorry guys).

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Is there much in way of grinding in the game? I'm not much of a fan of jrpg's with near-required grinding, but I do love a good jrpg.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I absolutely love the look of this game! My new job starts next month, so I'll actually be able to get it when it comes out. :allears: Kind of a shame NA is getting it so late, but that will give me some time to wrestle down this backlog I've got going on.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Has anyone gotten the AR cards to work?
For some reason the only one that works for me is the one in the middle on the bottom row.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Is there much in way of grinding in the game? I'm not much of a fan of jrpg's with near-required grinding, but I do love a good jrpg.

Nobody knows for sure because the US version is based on a major remix of the original which isn't out yet but is supposed to fix a number of problems.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
If the demo is any indication, leveling up, increasing your stats and getting some more gold to buy equipment definitely doesn't hurt but a good strategy and ability setup on your characters is more important.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I got three streetpasses today and none of them added anyone to the town reconstruction, it just said I hadn't passed anyone. I got one yesterday so I know it works, I guess it has to be someone who's actually playing the game? That kind of sucks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So, uh.

This game is pretty big. :psyduck: (source)

Here's a comparison to other games.

quote:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: 17,693 blocks
Pokemon X and Y: About 15,000 blocks
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 14,284 blocks
Monster Hunter 4: 13,920 blocks
Style Savvy: 10,500 blocks
Fire Emblem Awakening: 8,579 blocks
Animal Crossing New Leaf: 8,192 blocks
Mario Kart 7: 8,192 blocks
Mario & Luigi Dream Team: 6792 blocks/850MB
Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon: 6,748 blocks
Star Fox 64 3D: 5,120 blocks
Super Mario 3D Land: 4,096 blocks
New Super Mario Bros 2: 2,950 blocks

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 15, 2013

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Oh wow. The regular Japanese version right now is only 14,777 blocks. It's like they meshed it with a whole new game or something.

The biggest game I got for 3DS space-wise is Ex-Troopers with 19,370 blocks, it's probably because of the art assets??? So it'd make sense if Bravely Default is larger with its redefined stuff.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's what, 3.3 GB?

^ I assume the increase is because of higher-res textures plus the additional English audio track.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Does anyone know if in the full game jobs have many more levels in them than the 4-5 that are in the demo? I would imagine that to be the case because mastering a job with so few skills seems a bit unusual, but at the same time they could cover for that by just having a crap load of jobs.

Bland fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 15, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Bland posted:

Does anyone know if in the full game jobs have many more levels in them than the 4-5 that are in the demo? I would imagine that to be the case because mastering a job with so few skills seems a bit unusual, but at the same time they could cover for that by just having a crap load of jobs.

Job levels in the original game go up to 14.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

scissorman posted:

I've got a question about how leveling and jobs interact in this game.
Do your jobs influence your stat gains?
Also, are all characters equally suited to all jobs or are you encouraged to e.g. use a specific character as a healer?

Jobs do not influence your stat gains, but a job can give stat increases and penalties to stats like equipment do.

There's differences in character stats, but they're not so different that it makes certain classes unplayable for them.

But if you want the general idea, if we go by Lv. 10 characters:

Tiz: Jack of all trades. Possess good stats all around, and several of his stats are the same numerically (and they are all his highest stats). The only stats aren't as high are Intelligence (one point lower than most of his stats) and Agility (his lowest stat). He's second best (or ties for second best) in all of his stats, except Intelligence. I have no preferences for him.

Agnés: Possesses the best Intelligence and Mind stats, but all her other stats are severely lacking, especially her Agility. She possesses the worst stats of the four in every stat except the aforementioned Intelligence and Mind. I like using her as my healer.

Ringabel: Possesses the best Dexterity and Agility stats, the second-best Intelligence stat, the third best Strength and Vitality stats, and ties with Edea for the worst Mind stat. I like using him as an offensive mage for that reason.

Edea: Possesses the best Strength and Vitality stats, ties with Tiz for Agility, has the third best Dexterity, and the worst Intelligence stat of the four. She ties with Ringabel for the worst Mind stat too. Because of this, I am definitely training her in most of the warrior jobs.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 15, 2013

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

There are 24 jobs in all, so that's 14 levels per job per character. Lotsa lotsa grinding if you want to master everything by the end game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Edea: Possesses the best Strength and Vitality stats, ties with Tiz for Agility, has the third best Dexterity, and the worst Intelligence stat of the four. She ties with Ringabel for the worst Mind stat too. Because of this, I am definitely training her in most of the warrior jobs.

She takes the old "Women are mages/healers" cliche and kicks in the rear end, picks it up and then kicks it in the rear end a couple more times for good measure. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Aurain posted:

She takes the old "Women are mages/healers" cliche and kicks in the rear end, picks it up and then kicks it in the rear end a couple more times for good measure. :allears:

Indeed. I'm really fond of her for that reason. I was expecting either Tiz (especially so because of his pun) or Ringabel to be the designated "warrior" here, so this was a nice surprise.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

See, that's what I thought they were doing with the Knight girl in Four Heroes of Light, but nope, turns out her stats put her as a healer instead of a fighter and the guy I thought was the designated magic user was actually the jack of all trades.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah I guess if you're boring you can make Agnes into the girl-with-staff-that-heals that the game expects you to make her, or you can defy the conventions and make her into a badass killing machine. :colbert:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I was about to say, I made Agnès into a Valkyrie in the demo because hell yeah.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Terper posted:

Yeah I guess if you're boring you can make Agnes into the girl-with-staff-that-heals that the game expects you to make her, or you can defy the conventions and make her into a badass killing machine. :colbert:

Of course the only real true job you should use is the Merchant (or whatever they call it in English):

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

See I thought Edea was the mage character because she has the best pointy hats :colbert:

I guess I got things completely backwards by making her the mage and Agnes the ninja.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
For the demo the stats don't matter too much due to how easy it is to max out all of the job levels for the characters, method i used was after beating Minotaur you get to fight the bosses over again, just go back to the turtle boss in the forest and spam Blizara and he should go down in a few rounds, you get 70jp per victory meaning you can max out a class in two or free turtle stomps, just leave the forest and come back and he will have respawned

Bear in mind that maxing out all jobs for all characters doesn't give you any extra bonuses to pass on to the main game, but it makes the Dragon and Automoton a lot easier

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

B-b-but, the suboptimal stat distribution... :negative:

My inner RPG sperg won't let me do it.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

For the demo the stats don't matter too much due to how easy it is to max out all of the job levels for the characters, method i used was after beating Minotaur you get to fight the bosses over again, just go back to the turtle boss in the forest and spam Blizara and he should go down in a few rounds, you get 70jp per victory meaning you can max out a class in two or free turtle stomps, just leave the forest and come back and he will have respawned

Bear in mind that maxing out all jobs for all characters doesn't give you any extra bonuses to pass on to the main game, but it makes the Dragon and Automoton a lot easier

Another method is Getting Two handed ability on Knight (Class 2) and the All hit slash from Class 2 Valkyrie (Crescent something) with a decent spear (I used the Mythril Spear) and go to the beach behind the tower, set encounters to +100% and easy and just go to town on the 6 monsters which spawn there. They give you 10 Job Points and a very large amount of EXP each, which makes it simple to cap EXP and Job Level in the demo.

Also, has anyone got the reward from all town done yet? I really don't want to go through it if it's like the other bonuses you get which seem quite small.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Samael posted:

Also, has anyone got the reward from all town done yet? I really don't want to go through it if it's like the other bonuses you get which seem quite small.

The reward is A Bronze Bangle, and 2 Phoenix Downs.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Has anyone figured out what the deal with weapon / armor proficiencies is? It seems that every job can equip every piece of equipment but some are apparently more suited to them (Valkyries want spears, for example).
What's the actual stats / gameplay effect though?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Dunban posted:

Has anyone figured out what the deal with weapon / armor proficiencies is? It seems that every job can equip every piece of equipment but some are apparently more suited to them (Valkyries want spears, for example).

From what I can tell it seems to influence the stats gained from the equipment.
When using Optimum after switching jobs I seen it pick Oaken Pole (which has the higher attack given the same aptitude) or Long Sword as the best depending on the job.
As an example, on a level 20 Tiz the Long Sword gives 39 attack as Freelancer, which has B, and 46 as Knight, which has a S in Swords.

I have another question of my own, does anyone know if the bonus from Late Bloomer (the Freelancer ability, which is supposed to give stat boosts for mastered jobs) works in the demo?
I have all other jobs mastered but when looking at Stat Changes it seems that the other jobs still have a substantial edge over the Freelancer.

scissorman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dunban posted:

I believe that the higher the proficiency, the more stats you get to squeeze out of the armor or weapon in general. So if you equipped a sword on, shall we say, a Black Mage (which would be E), instead of a Rod (which should be an S), the sword would probably give worse or negligible stats to your Black Mage than the Rod would. Same principle with armor and shields. (I know for a fact that heavy armor doesn't give a lot of protection on a character with proficiency E than it would with a warrior with proficiency A.)

EDIT:

^ :argh:

• Locked thread