Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...have I been missing this pun the entire time? Was it actually intended in the first game?

e: vvvvvvvvvvvv
Well yeah, I thought that was why her last name was lee, because her parents' names were puns but not her own. Like how Tiz being named specifically Tiz didn't make his name a pun, right? Just his last name was a reference. Or did I miss two?

Tiz means butt in arabic slang so I thought it was a really roundabout way of making an FF5 Buttz reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay so i've mastered everything but one last job that i'll unlock later I assume
(it's that creepy old guy that's got sage in his name, right?)

I've got a chunk of offensive job combos but nothing for defense. What's the Spiritmaster/Salvemaker stuff?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Golden Goat posted:

Okay so i've mastered everything but one last job that i'll unlock later I assume

I've got a chunk of offensive job combos but nothing for defense. What's the Spiritmaster/Salvemaker stuff?
Yeah, in Chapter 5 you can fight Yulyana for the Conjurer asterisk.

I think the Salvemaker one is to use Giant's Draft to increase your HP to crazy levels.

One thing I usually did was use a BP battery and just deflect depending on the opponent. If it was a magic/elemental attack I'd use Adaptation - the bonus here is that if there is a mix of enemies, any physical damage sustained will be absorbed back when a magic attack is used. The BP battery means that your Spiritmaster will never be in negative BP when doing this (since you need to cast it 4 times). You can do something similar with a Dark Knight and Black Bane/Dark Nebula.

The other Spiritmaster trick is to case Stillness, you just need to make sure that your Spiritmaster is slower than all your other characters, but still faster than the enemies. Speed-boosting equipment or abilities help here.

I think everything I did needed a BP battery, I always just had at least one character with the Red Mage abilities like BP Recovery and Revenge. With BP Recovery you can just keep casting poison on your party (I think you need the Black Mage ability Group Cast for this) and it has a good chance of raising their BP.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Golden Goat posted:

Spiritmaster and Salvemaker are both insanely good and work well together! Equip a Blessed shield on your Spiritmaster/Salvemaker and you don't even need a White Mage for healing! Salvemakers can double your max HP with Giants Draft (Beasts Liver + Dragon Fang), give your party elemental resistances, make the enemy weak against whatever element you choose, mix up quarter and half Elixirs for your healing needs, and all kinds of fun stuff!

Spiritmasters are the masters of support. They can negate all damage for a turn- yours and the enemy's (make sure the Spiritmaster goes last), confer status and elemental immunity to your whole party, and other assorted things. They're best paired with either White Magic secondary, or Salvemaker with a Blessed Shield.

Definitely invest in a BP battery, as suggested by Zaphod. Either a Red Mage/Black Mage or a Performer/Freelancer can do the job.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I've got a BP battery and loaded him up with INT to increase chance of poison so he only has to use three turns on the BP battery and can spend one to do an additional support move. Wouldn't be able to do the other combos without it.

I'll play around with Salvemaker and Spiritmaster. Especially if I can manipulate enemy's elemental weaknesses.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

I've got a BP battery and loaded him up with INT to increase chance of poison so he only has to use three turns on the BP battery and can spend one to do an additional support move. Wouldn't be able to do the other combos without it.

I'll play around with Salvemaker and Spiritmaster. Especially if I can manipulate enemy's elemental weaknesses.

pro tip: once you're already poisoned, any further casts of poison will automatically succeed for the purpose of generating bp.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay so a dual shield evade Agnes is pretty fun. She does nothing but dodge while using compounding.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Golden Goat posted:

Don't do this, load up your red mage with; Group Cast All, Status Ailment Amp (Arcanist) and BP recovery. You don't need the INT to increase the chance of poison and can focus on stuff that ups defense instead.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Awh, but it lets me also throw status effects on the bosses.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I could never boost dodge chance to a place I found acceptable. Even random encounter foes would hit a majority of the time with every conceivable dodge chance booster on the target character

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Don't do this, load up your red mage with; Group Cast All, Status Ailment Amp (Arcanist) and BP recovery. You don't need the INT to increase the chance of poison and can focus on stuff that ups defense instead.

I used this exact setup for most of the game and it worked brilliantly, but a couple weeks ago I picked the game up again to finish off the last chapter and it doesn't seem to work anymore. Poison just misses constantly. Did they patch something since the last time I played? I'd swear I never saw it miss before, but now I'm in the middle of a fight where it's missed my healer for a dozen turns. 36 casts in a row, nothing. Combine that with Slow World and I'm having a hard time doing any damage between throwing potions around while my healer sits in negative BP hell.

Before anyone asks, no none of my characters have any kind of status-resisting gear on. Does having high int really help with this? My battery has Templar as primary job to ensure she goes last, I suspect her int isn't very high, but it never seemed to make a difference before.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Suaimhneas posted:

I used this exact setup for most of the game and it worked brilliantly, but a couple weeks ago I picked the game up again to finish off the last chapter and it doesn't seem to work anymore. Poison just misses constantly. Did they patch something since the last time I played? I'd swear I never saw it miss before, but now I'm in the middle of a fight where it's missed my healer for a dozen turns. 36 casts in a row, nothing. Combine that with Slow World and I'm having a hard time doing any damage between throwing potions around while my healer sits in negative BP hell.

Before anyone asks, no none of my characters have any kind of status-resisting gear on. Does having high int really help with this? My battery has Templar as primary job to ensure she goes last, I suspect her int isn't very high, but it never seemed to make a difference before.

It's affected by two things, Int and Mnd. Int affects the caster and Mnd affects the defender (who can also be the caster for multitarget spells). So a character with low Int is going to have trouble hitting a character with high Mnd. Templar is terrible for this because they have a -40% Int penalty and a Mnd bonus of +20%. What's happened is that as you've played through the game, whilst the percentage differences have remained the same between Int and Mnd on your characters, they've become bigger and bigger numerical differences as your stats have gone up, making it more difficult for you to hit poison. You want your character as a Red Mage sub Time Mage ideally because they rock higher defenses than the other mages whilst also having +20% Int and this gives them access to groupcast reraise.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I'm in chapter 5 and have a decent grinding setup, but I really just want to continue with the game/sidequests and not have to max out every job. Can anyone suggest a good party to do the side bosses/main story with?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally got this game and I've done nothing but playing it for the last three daysplease send help.

Other than being a super solid JRPG, the thing that impresses me the most is being able to set encounter rate and speed up combat. AKA, the reason you'd rather play JRPGs on an emulator in 2016 than on their respective systems. It's absolutely genius. Pretty much the only thing I dislike so far is Ringabel's (and several other characters') constant sexual harassment, it's getting old and I've only awakened two crystals so far :(
I know complaining about sexism in JRPGs is like yelling into a bottomless pit, but I love everything else about the game so much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ringabel's the best part of the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He does start toning it down quite a bit after the halfway point, at least... Though it doesn't completely go away. Granted, I started finding another member of the group way more annoying than he ever was after that point.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Verranicus posted:

So I'm in chapter 5 and have a decent grinding setup, but I really just want to continue with the game/sidequests and not have to max out every job. Can anyone suggest a good party to do the side bosses/main story with?

Quoting myself from years ago:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, run something like: Red Mage/Time Mage - Group cast All 3 BP Recovery 1 Status Ailment Potency (The thing out of arcanist that lets you poison easily) 1. Equip them with the +20 agi daggers from Norende.

Pirate/Swordmaster - BP Recovery 1, 2 Hand 1, Ranger Accuracy 1 and 20% Str 2. Equip them with the highest power axe you have, accuracy is irrelevant.

Ninja/Vampire - BP Recovery 1, Increased Genome Damage 1, Axe S rank +1. The remaining +2 are your choice. Equip them with two +20 agi axes out of Norende.

Templar/White Mage - BP recovery 1. The remaining +4 as needed. No specific equipment. This is a utility role, I favour having white mage because I don't use salve maker and have low healing with the base party (I never got white wind). It can easily be something else, Spirit Master is a great choice (due to Stillness) as is Performer (Owing to party wide buffs).

Your Ninja Vampire will attack first, you drain a bosses's magic away, drain physical attack and then start dropping firestorms on them over and over. Keep them debuffed the entire time, you should hit close to 9999 damage with each firestorm.

Your Red Mage/Time Mage should attack second, you brave four times, cast reraise on your party, just in case something catastrophic happens, then poison your party members twice and cast shell. The poison will cause you to be BP neutral (because of BP recovery) even if you brave four times.

Your Templar/White Mage should heal people and cast Rampart. Honestly this role is much more of a play by ear one.

Your Pirate/Sword Master should act last and brave four times, use free lunch and amped strike to hit for 9999 damage three times.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
whoops didn't realize this thread was still active

does the story content in the sub scenarios differ significantly in chapters 7 and 8 because otherwise imma just finish since my routine of enigma + drain sword + 12x dark nebula is getting rather stale at this point

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The Iron Rose posted:

does the story content in the sub scenarios differ significantly in chapters 7 and 8 because otherwise imma just finish since my routine of enigma + drain sword + 12x dark nebula is getting rather stale at this point

Yes Chapter 7 and 8 is where they start mixing up the Asterisk boss fights.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Chapters 7 and 8 are the best chapters in the game precisely because of the sidequests.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I know the actual fights against the bosses are all grouped up, I'm just curious about story/dialogue mostly

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Iron Rose posted:

I know the actual fights against the bosses are all grouped up, I'm just curious about story/dialogue mostly

There's some new story content in chapter 7 that puts a bit of a different spin on some of the characters. Chapter 8 is mostly an excuse for boss rushes, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Terper posted:

Chapters 7 and 8 are the best chapters in the game precisely because of the sidequests.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Chapter 7 has some of the funniest lines in the game, so it's well worth doing for that alone.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Chapter 6 pretty much has 1 sidequest that's different. Though a bit of the dialogue is different than in chapter 5 if you care about that. But chapters 7 and 8 have the biggest changes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just finished the game after playing it obsessively for about a week and while the ending dragged on a bit I can safely say I absolutely love this game :kimchi: It was JRPG as hell, but I love JRPGs. The plot twist was pretty obvious, but there were some really neat details and I like the looping as a concept. It's a shame they re-used so many cutscenes ("A g-g-g-ghost ship?!?" uh yeah, you've seen it like five times) without adding any new reactions, especially to plot-relevant stuff but the new cutscenes for the sidequests were amazing. I also discovered Where the FAIRY FLIES thing after a game over and while it's super cheesy it still made me grin.

One of my favorite things is how much you can make the jobs your own, with the lore abilities and such. I don't care about min-maxing, so I really enjoyed the dress-up aspect and being able to make a viable healer/dps out of anything. I resorted to cheesing for a couple of fights, but other than that I just went with whatever I wanted.

Now I'm tempted to immediately start playing Bravely Second, but perhaps I should be wary of JRPG fatigue.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Your Computer posted:

Now I'm tempted to immediately start playing Bravely Second, but perhaps I should be wary of JRPG fatigue.

You visit a lot of the same dungeons with almost identical layouts and appearances so yeah, I'd hold off for a while until you get the itch. I'm enjoying BS, but the huge amount of recycled content is a bit draining.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

The groupings get bigger/different each Chapter and you learn more about each asterisk holder as a person and their relationships to each other. It's cute and humanizing even if it's a little tedious.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So how's bravely second for those who played it? I guess we need a new thread soon for the NA release. I really liked BD but I dunno if I really want more of that unless they made significant improvements.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So how's bravely second for those who played it? I guess we need a new thread soon for the NA release. I really liked BD but I dunno if I really want more of that unless they made significant improvements.

I actually liked it more than the first one. It's easier (which I don't think is a bad thing) and I enjoyed the writing and the story more. But there's not really that much of a difference, it's just more Bravely.

Most of the improvements of Second were already included in the international release of Default, but there's a couple new things like battle chains and being able to save party setups.

There's a thread for it already.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Unfortunately Second lacks a good boss rush which abuses the broken combos.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DoctorX posted:

But there's not really that much of a difference, it's just more Bravely.

I had a radically different experience going straight into Second after finishing Default. The writing is completely different, to the point where the game feels more like a spin-off than a sequel to me. It feels a lot less straight-faced than Default, you can't read two lines of text without encountering a joke or pun. Not saying this is a bad thing, but it took me by surprise. The game also feels less "Final Fantasy-y" with new jobs and enemies that aren't ripped directly from FF like most of Default's are, and since Default was basically a love letter to oldschool Final Fantasy this also makes the games feel different (but again, not necessarily a bad thing since the new jobs own).

Also, partly because of the amount of jokes, the English translation differs much more from the Japanese script than in Default. This is obviously only a problem if you're a weeb who uses the Japanese voices, but it can be pretty disorienting for those who do.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I meant that more from a gameplay perspective. I agree that the writing is different but I actually liked it better. Default felt too... generic. And I guess that's what they were going for, but I sometimes found the story predictable and the writing boring and couldn't wait for people to stop talking so that I could keep playing. I didn't feel that way with Second.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the gameplay is probably better in Second, with some amazing new mechanics :v:

Bravely Second definitely has more.. character. I agree that Default was somewhat generic, but I think they pulled it off flawlessly and it triggered all the right nostalgia from playing FF3/4/5/6 as a kid. Perhaps formulaic is a better word than generic; it has the white/black mage, the crystals, the goblins and sandworms, the brooding dark knight, almost everything is pulled from those old Final Fantasy games. In contrast, Second gives you several jobs and monsters that are completely new right off the bat, almost as if to say "guess what, this isn't Final Fantasy anymore".

Being a huge sucker for text-heavy, predictable JRPGs, Bravely Default was a perfect match for me but it's probably for the better that the sequel does something different. It feels weird to go directly from the first game to the second, but once I get used to the writing I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy Second just as much as Default (especially considering the awesome new jobs and mechanics). :3:

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Your Computer posted:

In contrast, Second gives you several jobs and monsters that are completely new right off the bat, almost as if to say "guess what, this isn't Final Fantasy anymore".

I think this sums it up. It has become its own thing. Which is good, because I think if Bravely Default proved something is that nobody wants to play the same thing over and over again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"You know those new sidequests we added in For the Sequel?"
"Yeah?"
"What if we made a whole game written like those"
"Cool"

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Also the writers were clearly hungry while writing most of the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DoctorX posted:

Also the writers were clearly hungry while writing most of the game.

As someone who's hungry all the time, Food Talk™ is the best part of the game. :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I will defend Food Talk with my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The food talk wears extremely thin and the more time that passes since I finished Second, the more my opinion of food talk sours.

It would be fine if it wasn't constant and the vast majority of all side conversations.

• Locked thread