Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Does this play like classic FF or is there something new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

teraflame posted:

It's a classic 16-bit style Final Fantasy game, but it comes from a Japan where Xenoblade already exists, and has forever changed the way people think about making JRPG games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

teraflame posted:

It works basically like your everyday Final Fantasy 5, with one big difference: Brave and Default.

OP posted:

In battle, you have two other options to play with other than Attacking and Magic which further enhances strategy (especially during boss fights). By choosing to Brave, you lose your next turn but you gain one extra action command! By choosing Default, you guard against enemy attacks for one turn, and the next turn you will have two available actions to perform! You can do these up to three times, which means you can either lose 3 turns right off the bat to do 4 actions all at once, or you can gain 4 action commands by defending up to three times consecutively! Do you choose to blast your enemies with all you got in a single turn? Or do you choose to play conservatively? Play your cards right with certain bosses and enemies to gain the upper hand in a pinch!

This does impact the game severely, because the enemies can also use this system. If you manage to figure out your enemy's rotation, you can play around the boss by Defaulting on the turns he's Braving, then Braving until he can attack you again. Of course, the enemy can do the same to you: they default on the turn you chose to go all out with everyone, and suddenly the enemy has several turns to completely kick your poo poo in.

You can also fast forward battles and build your own Limit Breaks, complete with quotes and name. You can even share them to others by having them Summon your character!

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Terper posted:

It works basically like your everyday Final Fantasy 5, with one big difference: Brave and Default.

This does impact the game severely, because the enemies can also use this system. If you manage to figure out your enemy's rotation, you can play around the boss by Defaulting on the turns he's Braving, then Braving until he can attack you again. Of course, the enemy can do the same to you: they default on the turn you chose to go all out with everyone, and suddenly the enemy has several turns to completely kick your poo poo in.

This game really lays it on the Default and Brave commands, since latter on you will get support abilities that can net you with free BP points (Red Mage or Performer abilities) and some bosses will have the ability to remove your turns, so yeah. Much frustration if you don't plan things out ahead of time. :stare:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Wow, Beelzebub (the boss sent from SquareEnix) is brutal.
He has 4000HP and some turns in he activated an ability called Gluttony, which basically absorbed all damage with no hint on how to break it.
Later he wiped my party with a single 700+ damage acid attack.

How the hell are you supposed to kill him at level 10?
Right now it seems you need to be way beyond to even stand a chance.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

scissorman posted:

Wow, Beelzebub (the boss sent from SquareEnix) is brutal.
He has 4000HP and some turns in he activated an ability called Gluttony, which basically absorbed all damage with no hint on how to break it.
Later he wiped my party with a single 700+ damage acid attack.

How the hell are you supposed to kill him at level 10?
Right now it seems you need to be way beyond to even stand a chance.

I just killed one at level 20- you get 400pg, 200 EXP, 20 JP and a mind bun (raises mind stat)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
How anime is this game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Miltank posted:

How anime is this game?
Well, it depends on how anime you define anime, but I don't think it's very anime at all, really. It seems pretty classic so far, with some pretty fun character t-t-tics.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Just got the Merchant job asterisk.

Holy poo poo, Erutus Profiteur is one nasty piece of work, and he's not a bad fighter either. Takeover deals a ton of damage and ignores Default. And like the Thief, he's backed up by Khint as well... well, up until Khint leaves him to die against your party like he did with Jackal. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Red Lives posted:

5257-9425-0797 here.

Going to add everyone from the last 2 pages.

Adding you. 5129-0887-5276

I'm getting close to full on my 3DS friend list now so I won't be adding anyone for a while after this.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Who was that random owl guy in the wind temple? He says I'm too inexperienced, but that's it. Something for later maybe?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Samael posted:

Who was that random owl guy in the wind temple? He says I'm too inexperienced, but that's it. Something for later maybe?

Yup, he'll be relevant again in two more chapters from where you're at.

I find that I'm really enjoying playing through the game strictly with the Thief class with all party members so far. Their Life Steal skill can become pretty broken, and stealing from bosses gives some good bonuses too. My first play through of the game with the Japanese version was strictly with Black Mages and that went well as well, but I find it good to experiment with a few jobs at a time since all of them have some pretty useful support abilities.

VVV Frankly I have no idea and I wish I knew.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 6, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I hate you guys so much. Is there ANY reason to why the US hasn't gotten at least the demo yet? Don't give me your :smug: looks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

@HelloWinter: Do you know how to advance the subscenario in Ancheim after I've killed Profiteur? I want to see how far I can get and how many Job asterisks I can get before I take on the Wind Temple.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

@HelloWinter: Do you know how to advance the subscenario in Ancheim after I've killed Profiteur? I want to see how far I can get and how many Job asterisks I can get before I take on the Wind Temple.

Ill let hellowinter explain, but you have to do the wind temple and a few other things first.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Samael posted:

Ill let hellowinter explain, but you have to do the wind temple and a few other things first.

What he says. :)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Very well, I guess I have to go and take the temple then.

Dreydn
Nov 6, 2012
I have added everyone so far.
My Friend Code is 0662-4091-4819.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Oh my freaking God, I never noticed this. :3:

In chapter 3, when you encounter the Pirate at the haunted ship and you win the fight, he sticks around as a Ghost that inhabits the ship and laughs merrily. What a guy. :3:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I have just gone to Yulyana Woods and met Sage Yulyana, who I will henceforth call Old Ringabel, because of their similiar interests.

Too bad that, thanks to the art book that came with the Deluxe Collector's Edition, I know something about him that I probably shouldn't know, but that still raises a couple questions for me.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
There's a locked treasure chest at the Villa - is there something I can do to open it now or do I need to come back later?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Dunban posted:

There's a locked treasure chest at the Villa - is there something I can do to open it now or do I need to come back later?

Those can only be unlocked late-game.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
Working my way through adding all the codes posted so far, here's mine if someone needs another warm body to help restore Norende : 4382-2144-2766

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Do I really have to do this AR thing at the beginning of the game? I've never been able to get AR to work in my room because apparently the light isn't bright enough. Plus I do 99% of my 3DS gaming on the bus, so that's going to be a problem if AR stuff is a big part of this game.

Positronbob
Jul 5, 2007
Right through the pants
I've added everyone up to now. The shops open in five minutes! They'd better have it. OF course they have it...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
It's great having so many friends in my friendlist, but how do I get villagers from you folks? Don't you have to actually streetpass someone to get a villager? How can I streetpass people from the internet?

Also the Monk, at least at early levels, seems more like a Berserker class to me. I guess they had to play around with the accuracy to make it more balanced, but it just comes across as weird. At least the healing skill makes sense.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Well I can say one thing so far, the voice acting's improved since that early trailer. :v:

I'm going through and adding people now. My code's 0962-9710-0735

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Am I absolutely brain dead or is the first boss really hard.She just spams cure and I can't do a poo poo about it :ohdear: I swear I'm not terrible at video games

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Am I absolutely brain dead or is the first boss really hard.She just spams cure and I can't do a poo poo about it :ohdear: I swear I'm not terrible at video games

I had Tiz and Agnes Dual-Wield, then Defaulted 3 times and then annihilated her with two lots of 4 attacks from both Tiz and Agnes. Maybe not the most optimal way of doing it but bum-rushing her seemed effective enough.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Yeah, for that fight since you're against a healer that tends to heal herself more the less HP she has, a good strategy is to Default your entire party until you hit 3 BP and just wail on her with 4 Braves so you can kill her before she gets a chance to heal herself.

vvv You can pretty much dual-wield anything expect for shields and bows! Magic staves included!

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 7, 2013

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

I had Tiz and Agnes Dual-Wield, then Defaulted 3 times and then annihilated her with two lots of 4 attacks from both Tiz and Agnes. Maybe not the most optimal way of doing it but bum-rushing her seemed effective enough.

You can dual wield? :aaaaa:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Getsuya posted:

It's great having so many friends in my friendlist, but how do I get villagers from you folks? Don't you have to actually streetpass someone to get a villager? How can I streetpass people from the internet?

Also the Monk, at least at early levels, seems more like a Berserker class to me. I guess they had to play around with the accuracy to make it more balanced, but it just comes across as weird. At least the healing skill makes sense.

When you update your data via the save menu, you can get up to 3 internet "guests" per day for your town, these can be used as villagers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just been to the city to pick up my Collector's Edition and this thing is loving huge.

Behold your monolith, monkeys! :30bux:.

For size comparison, here it is with a Wiimote.

I knew it'd be somewhat large because of the statue (no idea what I'll do with that yet, probably eBay or SA-Mart it as I bought the collectors ed for everything but), but I figured it'd be about action figure size :psyduck:. I'll add more pictures once I've got the sucker open if you guys want.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I knew it'd be somewhat large because of the statue (no idea what I'll do with that yet, probably eBay or SA-Mart it as I bought the collectors ed for everything but), but I figured it'd be about action figure size :psyduck:. I'll add more pictures once I've got the sucker open if you guys want.

If you're looking to sell the figurine, I'd like to have it. :( The American Deluxe Edition won't come with one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HelloWinter posted:

If you're looking to sell the figurine, I'd like to have it. :( The American Deluxe Edition won't come with one.

I'll open the statue's box to make sure it's intact first and get some pictures of it so you can see what you think.

edit: Picture time!

For HelloWinter, the Agnes Statue

No idea why it's got the big ANIME EYES given the game's art style.

And with Wiimote for size comparison

For the rest of you, Box Things!

Had to cut through this on the back to be able to lift the top off.

Artwork's the same on both sides, but mirrored so they're both facing towards the front.

Pulling the black top and bottom pieces off, we have the hardcover art book. The guy at EB tossed a softcover art book in the bag with my collector's edition, which I'm guessing was a preorder gift. The hardcover version has about twice as many pages to it, but it's a nice freebie if you got the standard release of BF.

Beneath that's the box containing the Agnes statue, with the game case and soundtrack CD in a little nook behind it, and the AR card pack (what do these do, anyway?) on top.

I swear this thing has to be the biggest collector's edition ever released for a handheld game.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 7, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mrgrgr is probably my favorite new word though.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Terper posted:

Mrgrgr is probably my favorite new word though.

Unacceptable!

(Content: It seems those EXP poison-like sponges (was located in the beach south of wind temple) from the demo are back, but they don't give money anymore. Still nice to grind on though, they are at Mount Fragmentium, Chapter 2 if you ever need to grind a little.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The monk job for Tiz is basically wearing a non-assless version of Ashley Riot's outfit from Vagrant Story.

GOTY 2013/2014 when it releases in the US.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can anyone give me advice on how to take down the boss at the end of the first sidequest?

Would it help if I had no potions for him to steal when I go into the battle? Even burning through 4-5 braves in a row on everyone I can't keep up with his 500 point heals when he dodges pretty much everything that isn't magic, and even that only does 100 a hit.

or should I wait to tackle this until I've gotten a little farther in the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Is there some trick to beating the Red Mage boss?
He just keeps getting BP from Revenge and spam healing himself for 2000 a pop with Cura.

Getsuya posted:

Can anyone give me advice on how to take down the boss at the end of the first sidequest?

Would it help if I had no potions for him to steal when I go into the battle? Even burning through 4-5 braves in a row on everyone I can't keep up with his 500 point heals when he dodges pretty much everything that isn't magic, and even that only does 100 a hit.

or should I wait to tackle this until I've gotten a little farther in the story?

Yeah if you have no regular Potions he won't steal or use any.

• Locked thread