Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Can anyone give me advice on how to take down the boss at the end of the first sidequest?

Would it help if I had no potions for him to steal when I go into the battle? Even burning through 4-5 braves in a row on everyone I can't keep up with his 500 point heals when he dodges pretty much everything that isn't magic, and even that only does 100 a hit.

or should I wait to tackle this until I've gotten a little farther in the story?

You can't finish the side-quest after a certain point in chapter 1, so don't go too far. The best tactic is magic yes, but you should get to the point of where you can get mythril stuff from the fox merchant so you can effectively do a bit of damage and be able to take it as well (I am on constant hard mode, so I think I needed it). If you attack the thief and leave the spellsword alone, the spellsword runs off anyway so you should concentrate all attacks on him only.

Samael fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Cyflan posted:

Is there some trick to beating the Red Mage boss?
He just keeps getting BP from Revenge and spam healing himself for 2000 a pop with Cura.

For this fight I mainly relied on the Thief's Mug and Life Steal abilities. It at least holds him at bay for a while. Also, prior to the battle, be sure to equip Edea with the accessory item that nullifies charm. If you can get that accessory for the rest of the group, then it's smooth sailing!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

@HelloWinter How the heck did you survive the owl summon people!? I talked to the one in mount fragmentium, they got first strike and hit my party for 2k each with this ice summon, do you just need to survive it or something?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Samael posted:

@HelloWinter How the heck did you survive the owl summon people!? I talked to the one in mount fragmentium, they got first strike and hit my party for 2k each with this ice summon, do you just need to survive it or something?

Yeah, you just need to withstand that attack and you obtain the summon. It helps to change to a job with high magic defence, or equipping armour and accessories that boost m.def or boosts ice elemental defences. You can always come back later if your level/HP is too low! Also, you only need one party member to survive the attack. If the three others fall, then it doesn't matter. Just concentrate on buffing one character!

@Neddy Seagoon, that statue looks horrifying. :stare:

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 7, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So far my favourite character has to be Barras Lehr :allears:. And holy poo poo, we killed him and Holly Whyte? Minibosses are supposed to run off and come back stronger later for more shenanigans, not get cut down in a fair defeat :magical:.

HelloWinter posted:

@Neddy Seagoon, that statue looks horrifying. :stare:

So do you still want it? :v:

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So do you still want it? :v:

Haha, I just don't know!! I'll contact you later if I change my mind.

So in Chapter 5, you learn that you can only exceed past the 9999 damage limit by using Bravely Second. Laaaaaame.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

Haha, I just don't know!! I'll contact you later if I change my mind.

So in Chapter 5, you learn that you can only exceed past the 9999 damage limit by using Bravely Second. Laaaaaame.

Wow, super lame. Are there any fights that are difficult enough to require that, AND that you need more than 3 SP for? Because then you'd basically need SP drinks. Pay2Win, thank you square.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Amppelix posted:

Wow, super lame. Are there any fights that are difficult enough to require that, AND that you need more than 3 SP for? Because then you'd basically need SP drinks. Pay2Win, thank you square.

I can think of a few late-game fights where it would be nice if that limit would be easily accessible, yeah… Bosses get ridiculous amount of HP (Final Fantasy staple) and hit you very hard. But I guess if you have 3 SP saved up, then that offers you a couple chances to land some good blows.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man, that's dumb, but whatever.

Anyhoo, I just beat (chapter 1) Orthros. I felt really clever because I had Agnès Steal from them both... which gave me items that reduced their health by half. :cawg: Way easier than the Dragon before it thanks to that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
This game looks really good in every way, except for the character models.

God drat do I hate Squenix's hardon for making their characters on 3/DS look like loving dolls with no feet. Why can't they at least attempt models more like those found in FFIX and up?

I'll probably still buy this though.

Is the 3DS region locked, or can I import the European version?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
The 3DS is sadly region-locked; it will however come out on February 7, 2014 in the US, so you will have to only wait two months.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

scissorman posted:

The 3DS is sadly region-locked; it will however come out on February 7, 2014 in the US, so you will have to only wait two months.

Ah, that's too bad. I was hoping to play it over my gloriously month-long break. Feb 7 is just far enough into next semester for me to run out of free time...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, is there any story behind why this doesn't have the Final Fantasy name attached? It's just so weird that everything down to the item and job names screams FF and yet it isn't, sort of.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Sakurazuka posted:

So, is there any story behind why this doesn't have the Final Fantasy name attached? It's just so weird that everything down to the item and job names screams FF and yet it isn't, sort of.

It does have a reason for it, but that's late-game stuff. Just remember that this isn't a Final Fantasy game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

It does have a reason for it, but that's late-game stuff. Just remember that this isn't a Final Fantasy game.

Well, maybe there's an ingame reason, but the FF games are barely connected anyway. No, in fact, there is absolutely nothing at all connecting them besides naming conventions. So it seems weird that Square didn't just name this "Final Fantasy: Something Something" to make it instantly sell 100k more copies.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That cuts both ways though. FF hasn't had a great reputation of late.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aurain posted:

That cuts both ways though. FF hasn't had a great reputation of late.

Still enough to sell. Had it been marketed as an oldschool Final Fantasy handheld game it would have sold loads more than it sadly will.

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
I just beat the bonus boss of the demo and am looking to pick up the game next monday. before that though, I'd like to round up all the gameplay bonuses and villagers. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing anything? So far I have all 5 boss bonuses + the one at the beginning and am workin on upgrading the town. I also got the one extra villager from talking to that one guy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nope, you are set to go once you have finished the village.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Terper posted:

Still enough to sell. Had it been marketed as an oldschool Final Fantasy handheld game it would have sold loads more than it sadly will.
Did that work for FF: 4 Heroes of Light? If it didn't, I can see why they didn't do it for the spiritual sequel.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just got the Summoner job. Uh... What the gently caress? What the gently caress?! :stonk:

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Terper posted:

Just got the Summoner job. Uh... What the gently caress? What the gently caress?! :stonk:

Are you talking about the boss, or the summons themselves?
Because the summons themselves are quite :black101: :rock:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

Are you talking about the boss, or the summons themselves?
Because the summons themselves are quite :black101: :rock:

I'm talking about the scene that happens after the fight.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Terper posted:

I'm talking about the scene that happens after the fight.

About that scene (after you get the summoner): Whelp, the game was already a bit more dark than other JRPGs, but now we have 2 dead kids, who killed each other out of greed for fashion accessories.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So, is there any tip you guys can give about Beelzebub? I've got a lot of those guys now, and I want to clear out my village a bit.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man, after the first sidequest Thief Gloves+Thief's Knife=Stab and Grab every turn=Every steal ever

Also, regarding that sidequest: Where is this Grand Mill or whatever they're talking about? Is it a place I run into after doing the Wind Shrine?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Getsuya posted:

Also, regarding that sidequest: Where is this Grand Mill or whatever they're talking about? Is it a place I run into after doing the Wind Shrine?

The Grand Mill is in Clock Town, but its entrance is blocked by a guard until you complete the Wind Shrine shenanigans.

Folt The Bolt posted:

So, is there any tip you guys can give about Beelzebub? I've got a lot of those guys now, and I want to clear out my village a bit.

I seriously have no idea on this. I'm trying to fight one who's at level 57 with my 70+ level dudes and he completely wrecks me in his first turn. :(

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
I'm pretty early in still but this has spoiled other jrpgs for me. Changing the encounter rate and auto battle have made the game so smooth and fun!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Got all hyped up after wiping the floor with the Dragon in the cave with the rainbow thread but then got wrecked by Orthros This game is intense.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Got all hyped up after wiping the floor with the Dragon in the cave with the rainbow thread but then got wrecked by Orthros This game is intense.

Steal from both of the heads. You'll get an item that deals over 2k damage to one of the heads, and heals the other for over 2k. Just do that first and focus fire down one of them. I had way more trouble with the Dragon, funnily enough.

quote:

He'll spend his first three turns either attacking, Defaulting, or Braving. Fight as you would normally here, he's pretty tough. Once he uses Gluttony, there's nothing I've found that you can do. Just Default all the time until he uses Acid Breath. If you survive it, you can probably take him down. If not, come back later. I did him at level 15, though I might have been able to do it earlier.

EDIT: Oh hey, going through D's Journal again... you can rewatch all cutscenes. All of 'em, including party chats. Sweet.

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 8, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

I seriously have no idea on this. I'm trying to fight one who's at level 57 with my 70+ level dudes and he completely wrecks me in his first turn. :(

Terper posted:

He'll spend his first three turns either attacking, Defaulting, or Braving. Fight as you would normally here, he's pretty tough. Once he uses Gluttony, there's nothing I've found that you can do. Just Default all the time until he uses Acid Breath. If you survive it, you can probably take him down. If not, come back later. I did him at level 15, though I might have been able to do it earlier.

EDIT: Oh hey, going through D's Journal again... you can rewatch all cutscenes. All of 'em, including party chats. Sweet.

Nevermind, I beat the guy. I think I may have been overlevelled for the fight (more than double the level recommended), because I took Beelzebub down too easily... Not to mention that Piercing Bolt with the Lightning Element on did rather nice damage since that creep is weak to Lightning. (Probably didn't help that I had a piece of equipment that amplifies Lightning attacks as well.)

D's Journal is a wonderful thing. Have you seen the descriptions of some of the items? :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Bravely Default: I underestimated the beast that is sex appeal.

The IGN review complained about this sequence but I found it absolutely hilarious.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 8, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I fought and beat the Dragon now. Wow, this takes me back... It even has the same attacks as in the demo. Too bad It's much more easily taken down thanks to Special attacks being a thing now.

Also, I finally get to hear that amazing boss music again. :allears: It's been far too long since last time.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Amppelix posted:

Unless they've rebalanced the fights, absolutely not. Otherwise, how would anyone have finished the original Bravely Default? I do benefit from an assload of streetpasses taking my 3DS to work each day, but Bravely Second is just straight up not required. It definitely makes things easier, but I never felt like I needed something like it when I played through BD the first time. In fact, I kinda think it straight up breaks the game.

I'm happy I was able to move my save from BD over to For the Sequel, and I'm playing through it again with my stats. Really liking a lot of the changes they made to the UI, and the addition of nemeses. Kinda sucks that I lost my 170 person town, though.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 8, 2013

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Did I miss something about the (first sidequest conclusion)Time Mage and Spell Fencer fight? Tiz and Edea were doing pitiful damage with physical attacks, only Ringabel was dealing somewhat decent damage with his spells (about 150). I pretty much had to abuse Friend Summon (thanks again, HelloWinter!) and using those items that deal a set amount of damage to beat that fight.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

How are your weapons looking? The fox in Yulyana Woods sells Mythril equipment. What's your setup with their jobs?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I pretty much had the best equipment available at the time, plus some neat stuff from Norende.

My Job setup looked like this:
Tiz: Knight/Monk
Agnes: White Mage/Freelancer
Ringabel: Black Mage / White Mage
Edea: Thief/Monk

Hm..maybe I should've used the Monk's ability that boosts attack power (but also fails annoyingly often).
Maybe I just attempted that fight too early? Those enemies in the dungeon leading up to it that Brave, buff their attack and then use Strong Strike one-shotted everyone but Tiz.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Just beat Orthros Here's the funny thing: So I stole the Bomb Arm from the fire head and after a while managed to take down the ice head, barely scraping by. Then I accidentally used the thief's knife on the fire head again, forgetting that I'd already stolen from it. I got another Bomb Arm. Yeah, so apparently you're supposed to cheese this battle by stealing two of each and using them to completely wipe both heads no sweat. I'm happy I beat it with only one item use though. Once you get it down to one head it's a laughable fight.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Just beat Khamer and Ciggma Khint. How funny that Khint does not run away this time.

Well, Ringabel is certainly gonna stay as my main offensive mage, and I think Agnés wants a try as a Time Mage/White Mage. Tiz will be on Thief duty until I can equip the Master Thief ability, and Edea will stay as my warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Can anybody give me any tips for beating the automaton in the demo? I am holding off buying this until I have all the demo bonuses and I am getting my arse kicked.

• Locked thread