Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
"Thanks, man." :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Maybe that's not a Segway, but instead just the cool new sneaker trend... Like those shoes with skates in them.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This was okay. I might tune in for the next episode. Karl Urban needs work.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Sex bots :heysexy:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
This looks somewhat promising so far. Definitely want to see what tomorrow's is like.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I liked it but this seems like the kind of show that will be cancelled in 6 weeks

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if the show gets better from here then I'm definitely on board for the rest of the season. This first episode was good.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I liked this pilot. John and Dorian's dynamic was entertaining, and I want to see where this series goes.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

DrBouvenstein posted:

A Segway in use 35 years from now? IMMERSION RUINED!

No, you see, they're evidence from a cold case that everyone gave up on, and now they're just screwing around with it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrBouvenstein posted:

A Segway in use 35 years from now? IMMERSION RUINED!

Evidence Locker robots are just really lazy in the future.

Ero
Jun 18, 2006
Really like this show, can't wait for tomorrow.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Olive oil? That's weird.

It's not as weird as you think, NASA still uses whale oil as a lubricant in critical spacecraft parts since it doesn't freeze.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently there was a different version of the pilot with a literal last minute twist that was cut for broadcast.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

So apparently there was a different version of the pilot with a literal last minute twist that was cut for broadcast.

Aww. :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What? Do you know what the twist was?

I'm already worried that Fox is possibly messing with the episode order so that's another weird thing to add to it. I'll try not to feel too paranoid though, as long as the show's enjoyable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No clue, just read a review that stated it was something that happened in the literal last minute.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I'm enjoying the fact that Dorian clearly has his own plans and isn't just along for the ride. I have high hopes for the show. And the Blade Runner street is indeed wonderful.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

No clue, just read a review that stated it was something that happened in the literal last minute.

I guess we see it tomorrow? It's not out of order yet.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, loved the first episode. Can't wait for more. I was in it for Urban, staying for everything else.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Regy Rusty posted:

What? Do you know what the twist was?

If I had to guess, I'd say Lady Detective (not his boss, the younger one) is evil, working with the InSyndicate, or something like that.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
It was the robot head in evidence, that belongs to the body the bad guys were working on... Jeez.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have a feeling Fringe's 5th season was used to make sure that they could do "future" on a budget.

We'll see if it was worth it or not.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Been looking forward to this one, and I'm liking the show so far. That was a lot of stuff that happened but it did a good job of setting up the situation.

I'm having a hard time with the actress that plays the lady detective, I can barely understand her when she talks. I can't tell if she's talking too fast or just badly but it's irritating.

Otherwise I love the casting, I really like Lili Taylor Micheal Ealy is really shining in this role. I'll be tuning in tomorrow night. I hope the show keeps up this level of energy, was that preview all for one episode?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It was the robot head in evidence, that belongs to the body the bad guys were working on... Jeez.

How is that in any way a twist?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I ended up catching this, even though I didn't intend to, and I have to admit, It was pretty good. Was I imagining things or was there a heavy Deus Ex vibe to the music last? I swear one song sounded eerily similar to the Sarif Industries theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFxwE8aty1c.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Decent start, I'm down to continue watching. Urban was his usually scowly self, also appreciated the Blade Runner-esque atmosphere at times.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

How is that in any way a twist?

It's not.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Soothing Vapors posted:

I liked it but this seems like the kind of show that will be cancelled in 6 weeks

You're only saying that because it's a scifi show on Fox

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

drat, that couldn't have been anymore generic if it tried.
I'm not sure I'm going to stick around but I'll give it another shot just for the entertaining dynamic between the leads.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
So far it's not bad but it's a bit different from what I expected. It's really a lot like an 80s show throwback really, just high concept "wunza cop wunza android". They really didn't make much of an attempt to make Dorian non-human so there's not a lot of distance to getting the audience or the main character to empathize and accept him. By the end of the episode he's pretty much warmed up to him so even they seem to think they're not interested in keeping up the android racism or some such topics.

So instead they just rush ahead and make him nigh indistinguishable from humans at the outset and resolve that whole problem and get to case of the week cop and his android buddy get in adventures. I really don't have any fear that they could slip an episode 5 in as tomorrow's episode because I don't think it'll matter.

I think I would have enjoyed that arc myself because it's been decades since Data was on television screens and seeing what the Fring-y people would do with that could be compelling and novel. I'll wait for a few episodes to see what they want to do. Who knows, maybe an uncomplicated 80s show might be a nice change of pace?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Could they try any harder to hint that Dorian is actually more then a old model robot? "His file was redacted"? Come on that is the most stereotypical ominous hint in the book.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It doesn't have the Headless Horseman with an assault rifle or John Cho--Demonic Temp, but it does have Karl Urban and Micheal Ealy being awesome in Bladerunner/Deus Ex future. I'm going to keep watchig

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If they got John Schuck as a guest star (maybe as one of the android support staff) that would be amazing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I really, really liked the pilot. I can see where most of the complaints are coming from, but for me (at least for now) Urban + Ealy + blade runner future is enough. Just a touch of Fringe weirdness with the poison gas was like a cherry on top. Some random thoughts:

I like that the police chief/captain isn't some by-the-book Tough But Caring Superior but seems to legitimately sympathize with John. Similarly, I like that Minka Kelly isn't just immediately some kind of damzel-in-distress :swoon:~love interest~:swoon:. I mean, she'll obviously be at some point (hell, probably even starting in episode 2) but I like that they at least established her as a seemingly competent officer first and had John mostly ignore her the entire episode.

Still a bit cautious about some aspects of the show, but am totally on board for now and am glad that there might be a decent Sci-Fi show on the air. Hopefully the ratings are there, because I can't imagine that that cast and those special effects are cheap.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Wasn't expecting much, but I thought it was a well done pilot. I'm mainly glad they solved the mystery of why the opening mission went bad right away. I did not want to watch the continued angst and conspiracy plot that could have resulted. Now, they did cram in a conspiracy plot, but I guess you can't make a sci-fi show with our one these days.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Snitchbots get road rash

Whoa, bonus points for Personal Jesus

You mean, loses points for Personal Jesus.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gyges posted:

So wait, why wouldn't an MX have been able to interpret a very straight forward conversation?

Just watched the pilot and yeah, this was the weirdest part. Apparently they really suck at defragging in the future unless you have emotions.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 18, 2013

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm really divided after the pilot. Karl Urban and his robot buddy were both good. The tech guy and Dr. Candle were both very good. The story was just... Ok... But what really pulled me out of it, as with most futuristic tv, is the Ford Focus. I know it's hard to do vehicles when you're world building on a television budget... Just kept pulling me right out.

Anyway, I'm in for the long haul. Definitely the strongest pilot this year outside of the Blacklist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Binary Badger posted:

If they got John Schuck as a guest star (maybe as one of the android support staff) that would be amazing.

And Yancy Butler and Micheal Shannon as earlier prototypes? I watched all three of those series when they originally aired. Shannon was in one called Future Cop back in the mid 70s with Ernest Borgnine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Just watched the pilot and yeah, this was the weirdest part. Apparently they really suck at defragging in the future unless you have emotions.

I figured it came down to the fact that the MX series were a walking/talking/enforcer video camera for the human cops. As the show points out - all logic, must report all infractions no matter how minor.

• Locked thread