Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, we would have bitched about bad writing or something because it's very weird how Kennex acts in later episodes compared to how he acts in earlier episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JohnSherman posted:

Holy poo poo, no it did not. The only noticeable result of the airing order is that Kennex is inexplicably cold to Dorian after a couple episodes of being best buds. If someone hadn't come here and told everyone that the episodes were aired out of order, nobody would have guessed.

"due in part"

Clearly your reading comprehension is also out of order. I eagerly await your cancellation.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I was hoping they'd work out all the pacing and story issues in season 2. Suck it is over but what we got was nice.

I'd watch a show of Kennex and Dorian eating noodles and snails at scifi bars and talking in the patrol car.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't see it being picked up by a another network because of the large-ish budget. Bummer too.

So since we'll never get an official answer, who and why was someone implanting dreams into Dorian?

My bet is it had some long term story line with his creator who jumped over the wall.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Were dreams being implanted or was he just accessing things from his past that hadn't been fully erased?

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Well, poo poo. Hopefully they at least put out a decent Blu-ray.

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.
I kind of figured it was something like the synthetic souls weren't synthetic at all. Dr. Dan Fielding found the "soul" in humans, and was able to transplant it from dying children into DRN androids. And a good chunk of them went nuts because they couldn't handle the transplant. Or something to that effect.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
But what was that wall there for!!!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Winter was coming.

jedibeavis posted:

I kind of figured it was something like the synthetic souls weren't synthetic at all. Dr. Dan Fielding found the "soul" in humans, and was able to transplant it from dying children into DRN androids. And a good chunk of them went nuts because they couldn't handle the transplant. Or something to that effect.

That's...that supposes quite a bit out of zero evidence. It sounds pretty awesome, but I don't remember seeing anything to suggest that idea.

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.

Drifter posted:

That's...that supposes quite a bit out of zero evidence. It sounds pretty awesome, but I don't remember seeing anything to suggest that idea.

Yeah, that's just a wild guess based on what I'd seen when Rudy was browsing through Dorian's noggin and it seemed to fit what I was thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFUYpSRr3s

Either way, for a non cliffhanger ending we're left with a whole lot of unanswered questions. :(

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

What was the wall for, and what were the red balls?!? :supaburn:

I'm super bummed this is canceled.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Yeah, but I had made the assumption that children's memories were used in the creation of synthetic soul. It's a really common theme in science fiction that once the technology is close, people will try to replace their dead loved ones with technological resurrections of them. It wouldn't be anything new in the genre if it turned out that the guy who created synthetic souls was originally trying to bring back his dead child by implanting their brainwaves in a robot. It never worked and was never able to bring his kid back, but he did find that neural nets implanted with his child's memories exhibited natural learning and emotional behaviors. Occasionally, Synthetic Soul minds develop to the point where they CAN access parts of the implanted memories.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
My theory was the mad scientist took bits and pieces of his dead son's soul and used those to create the synthetic souls. That's why Dorian only had some small memories. I gathered that also from the very clear paternal connection he had with Dorian.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
drat you Fox, my testicles were at full capacity! My Red balls are now blue balls! And all for what? The renewal of Dads?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is it possible another network could pick it up, like maybe (shudder) SyFy?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

goddamitfox.jpg

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

JohnSherman posted:

Holy poo poo, no it did not. The only noticeable result of the airing order is that Kennex is inexplicably cold to Dorian after a couple episodes of being best buds. If someone hadn't come here and told everyone that the episodes were aired out of order, nobody would have guessed.

"The only noticeable result was that the chemistry between the two leads, which is far and away the show's strongest point, was completely different for no reason." There was also an episode like halfway through the season where Kennex was still going to that memory guy despite the fact that that whole arc was dealt with way earlier. I watched this whole show in 3-4 mini marathons and the abrupt change in tone during some of the reordered episodes was very noticeable, even without having read the thread and seen that Fox was messing with the order.

I mean, it wasn't as random as that one Fringe out of order episode where Charlie is just inexplicably alive, but it was definitely noticeable.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

drunkill posted:

I was hoping they'd work out all the pacing and story issues in season 2. Suck it is over but what we got was nice.

I'd watch a show of Kennex and Dorian eating noodles and snails at scifi bars and talking in the patrol car.

The hsow had really good chemistry between Kennex and Dorian.

Dammit, now we must push even harder for Dredd 2.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I can't believe anyone honestly expected a Sci-Fi TV show on Fox to last more than 1 season

YES I'M STILL loving BITTER ABOUT SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Did Dads get renewed? Almost Human was good and fun and has Karl Urban, Dads has midgets and racism. Terrible

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The chemistry was the only thing the show had going for it. Of course it was going to be cancelled. It was terrible in just about every other aspect.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bolow posted:

I can't believe anyone honestly expected a Sci-Fi TV show on Fox to last more than 1 season

This. SAAB was a great show.

Are you guys joking about Dads getting renewed? Please say yes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Butts posted:

The chemistry was the only thing the show had going for it. Of course it was going to be cancelled. It was terrible in just about every other aspect.

Kennex was only missing ONE leg. They needed to make room for the new Robocop series. That guy's missing BOTH legs! :science:

Twice as good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bolow posted:

That show was so good.

I honestly didn't expect this one to survive going into it because it's Fox so I wasn't that let down. The Blade Runner tribute at the end was a good send off I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

The biggest problem the show probably had to face was Fox promoting it quite a bit and then pushing it back at the last second.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

AH Cancelled, Helix renewed. This truly is the darkest timeline.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

strangemusic posted:

AH Cancelled, Helix renewed. This truly is the darkest timeline.

Helix was renewed, but Caprica was canceled on Syfy.

Almost Human is canceled, and by god if Dads is renewed, we are looking at the dark age of television.

One day there will only be variants of Mindy Projects and bad spinoffs of NCIS, and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Ravane posted:

bad spinoffs of NCIS

Isnt that what Almost Human was

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ravane posted:

Helix was renewed, but Caprica was canceled on Syfy.

Almost Human is canceled, and by god if Dads is renewed, we are looking at the dark age of television.

One day there will only be variants of Mindy Projects and bad spinoffs of NCIS, and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Caprica was awful. I'll never forgive Syfy for canceling SGU. gently caress the haters that show just kept getting better then got axed.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Ah, too bad, out of the three shows I've made threads for, I was most hoping this one stuck around. Seems like it being produced by Warner Bros. hurt it something extra, as a bunch of lower rated similar shows are hanging on (some of which I guess actually do cost an equal amount to produce, but Fox doesn't get the back end)

(Adults 18-49; repeats in bold; older weeks in parentheses) Every show on here except Almost Human is returning next season.

1.5 (1.6) (1.7) (1.6) (1.9) (2.0) (1.8) (1.6) (1.8) (1.7) (1.9) (2.3) (3.1) Almost Human
1.5 (1.4) (1.6) 1.5) (1.4) (1.4) (1.7) Bones
1.4 (1.4) (1.4) (1.4) (1.4) (1.4) (1.5) The Following
1.3 (1.1) (1.2) (1.3) (1.3) (1.2) (1.4) Brooklyn Nine-Nine
0.6 (1.2) (---) (---) (1.2) (0.7) (1.3) New Girl
1.0 (1.0) (1.1) (1.0) (---) (---) (---) Mindy Project
0.9 (1.0) (1.0) (0.9) (1.1) (1.1) (0.9) Glee
0.6 (0.8) (0.9) (1.0) (1.2) (1.1) (0.9) Bob’s Burgers

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Fuckin' A.

I like the 'sci-fi buddy cop show' dynamic.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
How the gently caress is Bones still a thing

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

NadaTooma posted:

Because the guy with Down's Syndrome on Wheel of Fortune is more intellectually capable than Fox's Network executives.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NadaTooma posted:

Angel

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

That poo poo went off the air almost a god drat decade ago. No doubt David Boreanaz has been a marketable actor but that is most definitely not an excuse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Beet posted:

That poo poo went off the air almost a god drat decade ago. No doubt David Boreanaz has been a marketable actor but that is most definitely not an excuse.

He's wasted on Bones. It was a good show once, but like House by the time it finished, it should have been allowed to reach a dignified conclusion years ago. The finder was better, and they canned it after a season (of episodes screened out of order throwing recurring plotlines and character development into chaos.)

They should find something better for Boreanaz to do. And take John Daley with him, he's awesome as well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well I'll be damned. I know we've already discussed it but I decided to watch the shows in the correct order last night and after 3 episodes in it really does add a cohesive plotline.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'll never forgive Syfy for canceling SGU. gently caress the haters that show just kept getting better then got axed.

It got better and then went away, much like syphilis that's treated with penicillin.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Any hopes of this getting picked up by cable or one of the streaming services?

I thought that it was really good scifi for network tv, but it may have been a little too episodic for a 13 episode run in today's climate. They might have gotten away with it if they had been more serial, or done more episodes, but it felt a little disjointed week-to-week.

The chemistry between the two leads was great and the writers found some clever ways to address the classic tropes that you see in the human-robot-partners sub-genre. They managed to make things feel mostly fresh to me, while pretty obviously borrowing from other sources. The world-building was pretty good, but we only really saw the first layer, so I'm disappointed we don't get to delve further into it.

:bandwagon: Honestly? Helix gets renewed and Almost Human doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Croatoan posted:

Well I'll be damned. I know we've already discussed it but I decided to watch the shows in the correct order last night and after 3 episodes in it really does add a cohesive plotline.

What's the correct order?

• Locked thread