Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm hoping that the map is just one part of a better hud in general, because goddamn it is overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You know, having damage to different factions be that mod heavy is going to make the event where the enemy type you're fighting on a map changes suck.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Beautiful Princess posted:

So I just downloaded this and started playing, only level 3, but I dont have any mods installed. I cannt for the life figure out how to install them, and any videos I see when I google have a completely different UI then the one in the game that I have. I am getting very confused..

You unlock mod slots when you level items. The number of slots is equal to your level. Go to arsenal. Your equipped gear is in the top four boxes. Go to the piece you want to mod. Press the upgrade button. Install mods.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Denzine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12RBu24s5gE

Update 11 preview. We're getting a better map and Trading and some other poo poo I don't care about.

PS we need an updated layout for the clan hall to integrate the trading room someone get on that.

The little map thing is gonna be amazing.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Where do I get more aura mods? I had a pistol one that simply disappeared from my inventory, I'd like a new one for obvious reasons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They are alert rewards every now and then.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Dapper Man posted:

I think they went through 4 pitcher of beer during the last livestream.

I'm more stoked for that map than I should be. I'm always getting lost.

Having been to London Ontario, I totally understand why they would spend most of their time drinking.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So do Warframe goons just use the Camping The Stairs voip server, or is there another one I could use to look for semi-competent teammates when my own clan members have better things to do?

e: including this information in the first or second post might be helpful to future non-goon-clan brosef.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 20, 2013

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

LonsomeSon posted:

So do Warframe goons just use the Camping The Stairs voip server, or is there another one I could use to look for semi-competent teammates when my own clan members have better things to do?

e: including this information in the first or second post might be helpful to future non-goon-clan brosef.
There's a channel in Camping The Stairs but literally nobody ever used it so I didn't bother including it this time.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I've just realised that if I have a Boltor with fire and ice for blast damage I'll be using a 40k Bolter.

EXPLODING FULL-AUTO ROCKET ARROWS. :black101:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Oh my god, Berserker's skills look terrible. A grappling hook is ok, but two debuffs focused on melee and an ultimate that gives her hulk hands? :gonk:

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

WeaponBoy posted:

Oh my god, Berserker's skills look terrible. A grappling hook is ok, but two debuffs focused on melee and an ultimate that gives her hulk hands? :gonk:

The grappling hook ability looks like a more powerful single-target version of Pull that doubles as an omnidirectional zorencopter. Frankly, it looks like one of those game-breaking abilities that end up defining the class once people have gotten to play with it for a while.

If nothing else, it seems to work like the Lash ability from the Mass Effect 3 DLC, which was hilarious enough on its own to be worth using.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Yeah, I'm not to thrilled in abstract about any of her skills except the possibility of otherwise impossible acrobatics. Her claws will have to be far more powerful than any other melee weapon can possibly be in order to be worth the time spent using them, let alone the energy.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

WeaponBoy posted:

Those two debuffs were the same power, so we don't know what the 4th ability is.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
The way they talked about her second skill it sounds like a combo buff and debuff:

team buff to armor and melee attack speed

radial debuff to enemy movespeed

though Steve is kinda hard to here in that video.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
That's the impression I got, so we don't know either her second or third ability.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I thought her second was a team armour/spped buff and her third was an enemy debuff. I hope that she is good. I really like her design.

I also can't wait for armour/damage 2.0. Last stream they said that a very large number of enemies have had their armour completely or mostly removed and replaced by shields. Hopefully that will make the shield focused elements useful.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I played a bit today, and I discovered that I can build the Cronus sword with crap I've collected. So far, melee has been terrible - the forward motion involved means missing most of the time, flailing about like an idiot, but that's just been with the starting weapon. Would making the Cronus improve that? Also, should I join the goon clan? I don't know what it would do. My PSN is phentyn, though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought her second was a team armour/spped buff and her third was an enemy debuff. I hope that she is good. I really like her design.

I also can't wait for armour/damage 2.0. Last stream they said that a very large number of enemies have had their armour completely or mostly removed and replaced by shields. Hopefully that will make the shield focused elements useful.

I think they actually said that if an enemy had a small amount of armour and alot of shields, it would now be all shields, no armour. And vice versa. I can imagine alot of Grineer having no shields at all, but alot of armour and health.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Helter Skelter posted:

There's a channel in Camping The Stairs but literally nobody ever used it so I didn't bother including it this time.

So my follow-up question should be how, short of joining the goon clan, should I go about finding goons to play with?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Berserkers revealed powers:
1)Grappling hook - launch yourself wherever or pull one enemy
2 or 3, unknown which) +melee speed/+armor for allies, -movespeed for enemies
4)Energy claws

There is still one unrevealed power.

a foolish pianist posted:

I played a bit today, and I discovered that I can build the Cronus sword with crap I've collected. So far, melee has been terrible - the forward motion involved means missing most of the time, flailing about like an idiot, but that's just been with the starting weapon. Would making the Cronus improve that? Also, should I join the goon clan? I don't know what it would do. My PSN is phentyn, though.

All single daggers/longswords suck. If you want the best melee weapon in the game, make the Galatines. If you want to launch yourself all over the map by spin-attacking, build zorens.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

a foolish pianist posted:

Mods help a lot with melee. So does any double weapon. Double Ether or Double Heat is a good start until you get enough mastery to move away from swords.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Just figured out that I can't play multiplayer unless I pay like $10 to my ISP to get a public IP a month to be able to open my ports (it's a weird setup and very lame). Is there really no way to play without doing so like for most Steam games?

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
For those new to the game, depending on what update 11 does to weapons/damage, I just use the following list.

Rank 0/1
Primary:
Braton
Hind
Strun - Rank 1 required, if you like shotguns it's decent starting, don't potato though.

Secondary:
Lato - I think you start with this, it's pretty decent for a secondary, don't worry about putting a potato in it, you're not going to really keep it.
Bolto
Seer - drops from the first boss, three items total, BP, two parts. Slow bullet travel, but overall pretty decent.

Melee:
Just keep what you start with, Concentrate on leveling your primary/secondary

Rank 2
Secondary:
Get Kunai, if you get lucky and get despair from the stalker, use that and potato them. If not, then potato the Kunai.

Melee:
Dual Zoren - Zoom across the map, damage? if you want to break a finger smashing a button constantly.
Gram - Large two handed sword, pretty fun and decent.
Fragor - Huge gently caress off hammer, does aoe slams, pretty cool looking.
Scindo - Huge gently caress off double edge axe, does aoe, pretty cool looking.
Or you can wait to Rank 3 and pick up the new anime longsword thingy, galatine or something.

From there you should have a hang on what you want and your playstyle. Don't ask me about warframes because I can go into detail on most of them save for banshee and saryn. They all are pretty decent, some just require you to be a bit more patient killing things than others.

Also, http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki should tell you much more than I have patience typing out.

Right now the main things you want to focus on is farming mods, and SAVING FUSION CORES.
If any alert pops with an Aura mod, DO IT, doesn't matter what it is, get it and then slot it. If it's an aura that you will keep and use, burn some fusion cores on it to increase the number of mod slots you can use.

Potatos = Catalysts, they double the amount of mod space you can equip.

1 A.M. and I'm tired but I decided to read the OP. It's all in the loving OP, Read the loving thing. It's pretty drat good.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 20, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Diablo 2 style map! Grappling hooks! Trading! Holy poo poo!

please oh please replace Excalibur, which is a boring hackyslashy, with the new what'shername, who seems to be a lot more dynamic and interesting. That said, I'm sure she'll turn out to spam 1 all day in lieu of any other power, because GRAPPLING HOOK!

I really need to fix my PC...but I can't afford a new power supply. And won't be able to for some time. I've missed one full update and two events now.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
After playing some more I found some things I don't like. Sometimes the levels require running across walls, but nobody knows how to do it (and neither do I), so we spend a few minutes jumping at a wall until the wall run decides to kick in. The green lasers that bounce you back are annoying as hell and only serve to make the mission take longer; I thought the cameras brought them up but I've gotten stuck behind lasers with no camera in sight.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yaos posted:

After playing some more I found some things I don't like. Sometimes the levels require running across walls, but nobody knows how to do it (and neither do I), so we spend a few minutes jumping at a wall until the wall run decides to kick in. The green lasers that bounce you back are annoying as hell and only serve to make the mission take longer; I thought the cameras brought them up but I've gotten stuck behind lasers with no camera in sight.

From my experience, the most the game will ever ask of you is a simple straight wallrun-up and backflip off. The Grineer ship tileset has a number of rooms with parkour elements but always has an alternate route. For instance, the circular room that you can parkour up? There's a series of ramps right on the left before you get to the vertical space.

If they're on the other side of a big room and a camera spots them, all the laser doors for that room activate. This tends to be annoying when people don't look up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yaos posted:

Wallrun: Sprint at a wall in the direction you want to go.

Green lasers: they suck, yeah, and not all are camera activated. Let the door close if there's no camera around. Learn to melee spin attack through the lasers; sprint-slide-melee just in front of the door. Or unlock Rhino and give no fucks.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Yaos posted:

Vertical wall run: hold sprint and jump into a wall straight on
Horizontal wall run: hold sprint and jump into the wall at an angle.

All the wallrun spots have white scrapes along them from months of Tenno infiltrations.

The cameras don't have to spot you to bring up the lasers, they can spot your buddies as well. You can slide-melee through them (hold sprint and crouch and melee) without taking any damage. Veteran players will do this basically 100% of the time and not even both with cameras.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I just added a couple items to the FAQ on basic wallrunning and the laser doors.

LonsomeSon posted:

So my follow-up question should be how, short of joining the goon clan, should I go about finding goons to play with?
IRC maybe I guess (#warframe on synirc)? It's not super active but people do hang out there. Or you could try to figure out some way to encourage people to actually use mumble (having people to bullshit with while grinding out materials in survival missions would be kinda nice).

MisterOblivious posted:

Green lasers: they suck, yeah, and not all are camera activated.
They are all camera activated, it's just sometimes not a camera near you, but instead some dumbass pubbie halfway across the map.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Now that I've played a bit more and fused some mods I think I'm getting the hang of the game. For example, I can farm the first boss for sweet mods and morphics pretty easily now

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

please oh please replace Excalibur, which is a boring hackyslashy, with the new what'shername, who seems to be a lot more dynamic and interesting. That said, I'm sure she'll turn out to spam 1 all day in lieu of any other power, because GRAPPLING HOOK!

I too hope they replace a solid frame with a suite of useful powers with a frame whose only useful power is a lovely grappling hook that isn't even animated well.

Hey remember when they fixed the camera-activated lasers so the slide thing didn't work any more? Remember how loving fast they unfixed it?

why the gently caress do they even have them in the game. honestly.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

For anyone complaining about the whole moving forward / hard aiming of the melee weapons - in options there's a setting for something like melee in camera direction - disable this and it becomes a lot more bearable. Might be worth throwing in the OP.

I've gotten into this a lot more after yesterday - farmed up the first boss to build the clan key and made a Cronus because it was cheap and I can get mastery out of it. Started playing through Saturn and the light maps are much more fun than the first zone. Having a lot of fun with the game after getting some mods. A pubbie in a game yesterday was following me around amazed by my fire pistol and jumping all over basically giving a playbyplay which was funny. "This guys like Goku holy poo poo he's flying all over I'm just following him and he's killing everything - and HOLY poo poo he's got a flamethrower too wow!"

Anyone who wants to play feel free to add me on PSN - my account is alteredmomiker. If you see me in game don't hesitate to toss me an invite or something.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
The lasers are similar to the doors that take 2 people to open. I think the intention is for them to encourage teamwork and discourage people from leaving teammates behind, but it doesn't really work since you can melee dash through them (or ignore them as rhino), so they end up being a problem more for newer players who don't know the game yet.

When you do happen to find a group that sticks together, the game is a lot more enjoyable. It's meant to be co-op after all, but unfortunately there will always be asshats who can't be bothered to help slower/newer players along.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
The flip side of this is that even if you want to stick around and help people there will be that one newbie who is running around in circles and won't progress because "I can't find the data module I was carrying" because someone else picked it up. Sometimes you're lucky and they have mic chat enabled and you'll be able to talk to them, sometimes not.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

a glorious hole posted:

For anyone complaining about the whole moving forward / hard aiming of the melee weapons - in options there's a setting for something like melee in camera direction - disable this and it becomes a lot more bearable. Might be worth throwing in the OP.

Do they seriously not have melee unlocked from camera by default on PS4? I play with a pad on PC and that setting is the only way melee is even usable.

Also I don't know how they use the PS4 touchpad, but a good setup for pads on PC is:
  • Sprint and crouch on L1 and R1
  • Powers 1-4 on d-pad directions (whatever order makes sense to you)
  • Melee on square, Use on R3 (reverse is better for Glaive/Kestrel though)
  • Block on L3 (like you ever use it)

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

sleeptalker posted:

Do they seriously not have melee unlocked from camera by default on PS4? I play with a pad on PC and that setting is the only way melee is even usable.

Also I don't know how they use the PS4 touchpad, but a good setup for pads on PC is:
  • Sprint and crouch on L1 and R1
  • Powers 1-4 on d-pad directions (whatever order makes sense to you)
  • Melee on square, Use on R3 (reverse is better for Glaive, etc. though)
  • Block on L3 (like you ever use it)

On the PS4 powers are bound the flicking the touchpad in different directions. It actually works really well once you're used to it.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

sleeptalker posted:

Yeah it's ticked by default which makes it hilariously bad.

a glorious hole fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 20, 2013

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
For newer PS4 folks (or anyone on PS4 for that matter), I'm up for doing boss runs, alerts, defenses, survival, or just running newer people through maps whenever I'm on. If you need to get boosted to a system where you can get some command modules, for example, just let me know. Just say something in clan chat or send me a message. Message might be better because clan chat isn't always easy to access (especially in the middle of a run). PSN: aDiscreteCoonjob.

On another note, hopefully the PS4 U11 won't be too far behind the PC one so we can do some crossplay. Would definitely help things be less empty.

Crowbear posted:

On the PS4 powers are bound the flicking the touchpad in different directions. It actually works really well once you're used to it.

The use of the touchpad in this game has completely sold me on the feature. I thought the touchpad looked really dumb before the console launched and would be gimmicky. And that's how some of the games use it. But it works so well on Warframe that I really want it to be integrated into more PS4 games in the future.

Edit: Just thought of something. Has anyone on PS4 seen one of the Platinum discount coupons yet? I just assumed they would be on both versions but I guess it's possible they might not be. Anyone know the answer to this for sure?

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
This game seems fun. I've just finished Mercury or whatever the first little cluster of missions is, but I have no loving idea what's going on. I think I'm building a sword in the foundry, but there doesn't seem to be a way to look at the stats of anything from the icons, so I have no idea if it's better than my starter sword. Also, the "pull" ability seems completely bonkers as it literally kills everything on the screen instantly. Still, running around shooting stuff's always a laugh.