Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

So since this is my first time, I'm a little confused.

How do I potato my warframe?

Its at level 30, so is my Grataka, I have the forma but I'm not sure what I should be doing here and I don't wanna gently caress it up.

To my knowledge this raises its power right? The abilities and poo poo becoming stronger and I can level up it again and rinse, repeat?
Forma aren't potatoes. Potatoes are Orokin catalysts/reactors, which double the amount of points on weapons/warframes, giving you 60 instead of 30 when maxed. Forma change one polarity slot to any polarity of your choosing, and as polarities halve the cost of same-polarity mods, allow you to slot more and/or stronger mods. A forma will reset the item to rank 0, and you can forma a weapon/warframe an infinite number of times (as long as you level it to 30 each time).

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Alteisen posted:

Its at level 30, so is my Grataka, I have the forma but I'm not sure what I should be doing here and I don't wanna gently caress it up.

To my knowledge this raises its power right? The abilities and poo poo becoming stronger and I can level up it again and rinse, repeat?

A potato is an Orokin catalyst or reactor. This doubles the amount of mod points available to your item. The item level doesn't change.

Formas reset the item level to 0 but lets you add a polarity to any slot. When a mod card and slot polarity match, the card costs half of what it normally does.

In both cases, if you have the proper items, you'll see a prompt at the top of the upgrade screen (at least on ps4)

E:fb

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alteisen posted:

Potatoing and forma-ing are two different things, but neither directly affect how strong abilities/poo poo are. They're both just ways of increasing the amount of mod points you have available to use with a warframe.

Sticking a forma on something lets you polarize a slot, changing its icon to the type of your choice, at the expense of resetting its level. Picking polarities that match the mods you want to use will cut their point cost in half, freeing up some extra points.

Sticking a potato in something will just straight up permanently give you double the amount of points per level of the item. So at level 30 a potatoed thing has 60 points to work with. Once a thing is potatoed, it's potatoed forever regardless of how many times you forma it, but it will be lost if you use the weapon in a recipe (mainly an issue with pistol -> dual pistol recipes). Or I guess if you decide to sell it to free up a weapon slot.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 15, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got it now, thanks a lot guys, can't believe me it took me this long to figure this stuff out.

So with my Rhino pretty much done, any suggestions on load-out? I'm only rank 3, was eyeying a shotgun but I don't know.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXv6--6u4qI&t=169s

BigJane
Jan 24, 2009
I kept seeing this pop up on steam with updates and finally downloaded it. This is so entertaining, I just wish people would stick around longer on these survival missions.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BigJane posted:

I kept seeing this pop up on steam with updates and finally downloaded it. This is so entertaining, I just wish people would stick around longer on these survival missions.

Yeah, I just started playing too and it's tons of fun.

I got destroyed trying to do the first boss solo, though. I have some mods I dunno what to do with and my terrible first gun is level 10. What should I try and do?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Yeah, I just started playing too and it's tons of fun.

I got destroyed trying to do the first boss solo, though. I have some mods I dunno what to do with and my terrible first gun is level 10. What should I try and do?

This game is really not meant to be played solo, for one. Gun/frame level only affects how many mods you can slot into it. Without mods, a level 30 gun and an unranked gun are equivalent. For now you pretty much just want to slot whatever damage mods you have available to you. Piercing/impact/slashing damage mods for every weapon are not worth slotting unless you've got nothing better, though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:siren: Orokin Reactor Alert Up on PC :siren:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BigJane posted:

We generally play Survival until 15-20 minutes, at which point it becomes tedious and we start getting knocked down with regularity.

My name in-game is AllBootBuild, add me.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Inspector_666 posted:

We generally play Survival until 15-20 minutes, at which point it becomes tedious and we start getting knocked down with regularity.

My name in-game is AllBootBuild, add me.
For regular survivals there's literally no reason to go past 20 minutes if you're going for the rewards anyway because of the way the loot table works. Basically you get garbage at the 5 and 10 minute marks, a void key at the 15 minute mark, and maybe something decent at the 20 minute mark and then it repeats from the beginning so your next key is at 35 minutes and chance at something good is at 40 minutes.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Survival#Rewards

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I only go past 20 ever if I'm leveling something, but yeah that's pretty much the answer.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A quick note on etiquette:

When playing Defense and Mobile Defense missions, stay near the objective. Why?

1. XP is only shared within a limited area. If you're off being a hallway hero, the other people in your squad aren't getting dick unless they're there with you (see #3).

2. Venturing out means you will gently caress up enemy spawns. The farther out you go, the farther out the enemies will spawn, exacerbating all other issues.

3. If your squadmates are out there with you, who's watching the objective? Oh whoops you just failed the mission.

4. Staying near the objective means all the drops stay near the objective, meaning there's less chance of you or someone else missing out on resource/mod drops because some jackass decided to go Rambo off in East Bumfuck.

You should also stick together in Survival missions, for similar reasons.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

I can't stand people who run off on their own for survivals. It's really loving annoying.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Helter Skelter posted:

A quick note on etiquette:

When playing Defense and Mobile Defense missions, stay near the objective. Why?

1. XP is only shared within a limited area. If you're off being a hallway hero, the other people in your squad aren't getting dick unless they're there with you (see #3).

2. Venturing out means you will gently caress up enemy spawns. The farther out you go, the farther out the enemies will spawn, exacerbating all other issues.

3. If your squadmates are out there with you, who's watching the objective? Oh whoops you just failed the mission.

4. Staying near the objective means all the drops stay near the objective, meaning there's less chance of you or someone else missing out on resource/mod drops because some jackass decided to go Rambo off in East Bumfuck.

I really should stop playing with pubbies for exactly these reasons, but I'm so lazy...

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
A dedicated map design for survival would mitigate those issues a lot.

The large outdoor Corpus tileset, for example, was amazing during the event and I really want to see it come back.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Helter Skelter posted:

I wish we could have some kind of PSA about this. Getting anything done on Kappa with pubbies is a nightmare. There's apparently some information going around about the artifact room getting more spawns than the other 2 objective rooms. So everyone's all spread out over 3 or 4 rooms and I have to either babysit the objective or let the mission fail out of spite. Either way I don't get the xp I'm there for in the first place.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Treat MobDef targets like a goddamned Olympic podium and keep your rear end on there all the time, no exceptions. Yell at or berate pubs until they learn. Intentionally let the mission fail if they're loving around. Let the pubbies burn.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ice Fist posted:

I can't stand people who run off on their own for survivals. It's really loving annoying.
I'm 100% guilty of this because I'll be killing hard and see a life support or module drop, and then run to go get it, and then see more enemies and the cycle repeats until I realise that I'm half the map away from my teammates. :downs:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Insert name here posted:

I'm 100% guilty of this because I'll be killing hard and see a life support or module drop, and then run to go get it, and then see more enemies and the cycle repeats until I realise that I'm half the map away from my teammates. :downs:

Shameful

illiterate
Jul 22, 2006
SUPERSTEALTHNINJA BOUGHT ME THIS ACCOUNT AND DEMANDS ANAL SEX EVERY NIGHT AS PAYMENT
i died in the dojo :(

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Still hella confused how I should be building my ember. Everything on the forums is telling me to get rid of abilities 1 and 3, and just run with world on fire and accelerant.

Is this really the case? there are a lot of trade-offs with the ability mods, and I'm just getting myself confused. Duration etc seem to negatively affect fireball if I choose to boost world of fire, so it is a case of building for one or the other?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

The reality is that almost no frame has a solid set of four useful skills. Run a frame through a few levels, trying out the different skills. The wiki and/or forums are great for general advice, but everyone has preferences (for example, I always run Absorb on Nyx, Null Star on Nova, Terrify on Nekros, and Vortex over Bastille on Vauban) that seem to be suboptimal or "wrong," and it's best to find out what abilities you prefer rather than copy a cookie-cutter recipe for every frame.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Unless you're specifically running into issues surviving and killing things and getting loot, don't build for optimality. Build for fun.
Of course, sometimes these things happen to line up, and then you get to experience the joy of running around spamming Reckoning on Corpus while quoting Space Jam.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm sort of responsible on defense and mobile defense but on survival I just have to run around until I've explored the whole map and opened all the containers (especially if it's on a planet with orokin cells). I'm terrible to play with but I can't make myself not do it for some reason.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ElegantFugue posted:

Unless you're specifically running into issues surviving and killing things and getting loot, don't build for optimality. Build for fun.
Of course, sometimes these things happen to line up, and then you get to experience the joy of running around spamming Reckoning on Corpus while quoting Space Jam.

Pretty much this. I only give my Valkyr Corpus weaponry just for giggles.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 15, 2014

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

illiterate posted:

i died in the dojo :(

This is a skill and I want to know how to do it.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alt-f4 while you still can!!

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

Just started up with this about a week ago. Really having a blast with Volt and and Ember as well as quite a few 'mad minutes' with the Boltor rifle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppMQ2Jvekfg

Bill Zabub fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 15, 2014

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I love this term.

The shared XP is duplicated, so you don't get a lesser amount from someone else's kill, and your kills are not leeched away by others. Thus, you don't need to killrace trying to hog XP when in a cohesive defense group, something pubbies generally seem to not grasp. The worst pubbie groups I've seen will form up at first, then immediately scatter out to spawncamp with a single puff of the flamethrower. The worst individual pubbies I've seen go straight to spawncamping position before the defense is even activated, and start getting mad when it isn't. This is sufficiently outrageous that most other pubbies will be going "what is your problem".
The shared XP you receive will be divided among all your stuff, however, so talk to your squad about loadouts if you've got things to level. Sometimes you can contribute meaningfully with a weapon you're working on, sometimes you can stand around absorbing numbers with all poo poo gear while a Rhino buddy tries to dance to industrial music.

Also, for anyone who gets pulled off the Survival group by trails of life support tanks, a pair of dual zorens to expedite getting in and out can help prevent further tank accumulation and distraction. Better yet, have a designated tank runner, like an LAPD Loki. Tanks are their job. When it's time to grab mods, the whole group moves.

Denzine is a classy person.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Are there some weapons that I should just trash because they'll never be useful? Like the Braton? I'm starting to get close to the end of my slots and I don't know if I want to pony up for more yet (I think I'd rather buy Warframe slots).

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Karnegal posted:

Are there some weapons that I should just trash because they'll never be useful?

From what I understand: There are a lot of weapons like the Braton that are useless after you get them to level 30, so just trash 'em.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Capntastic posted:

From what I understand: There are a lot of weapons like the Braton that are useless after you get them to level 30, so just trash 'em.

A list of said weapons would be a useful addition to the OP as a gaming pack rat, I want to keep everything, and trashing things terrifies me.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Karnegal posted:

A list of said weapons would be a useful addition to the OP as a gaming pack rat, I want to keep everything, and trashing things terrifies me.

It mostly comes down to personal preference.

If you don't like something then there's no real reason to keep it. The MK-1 Braton and normal Braton in particular are both terrible and are outclassed by strictly better guns (like the Karak, and then the Soma).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There are only actually a couple weapons worth keeping, mainly Soma, Penta, and Galatine, which outclass everything else. The Penta in particular makes a lot of missions into snorefests that could be completed by a programmable controller or taping buttons down on your mouse (if that actually worked). Just look on here http://dpsframe.com/ and it will give you a good idea on what weapons are garbage. I think DE made OP stuff like the Penta on accident and are probably too scared of the blowback they would take if they ever brought them down into the stratosphere.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
You forgot about the Ignis, which is the best gun for everything but super high time survival/defense.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Karnegal posted:

Are there some weapons that I should just trash because they'll never be useful? Like the Braton? I'm starting to get close to the end of my slots and I don't know if I want to pony up for more yet (I think I'd rather buy Warframe slots).
Get rid of the Mk1 Braton and use your Lato to make a Bolto. Then buy another Lato, make another Bolto, and then make the Akbolto.

Weapon slots are cheap as gently caress though (2 for 12 plat). I think I'm up to 130 now.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I only sell weapons if I'm 100% sure I'm never gonna use it again. Or just for sentimental value, or it looks cool, or if I think it will be buffed in the future, or if it's a prime/event exclusive weapon.

So I've only ever sold the Skana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I sell basic weapons when I have the primed/vandal/wraith/ak version, and I sell melee weapons when I'm done with them.