Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The only problem I've had with the mode (way way back when I actually cared to use it, could be different now) is that the moment you crouched it started draining energy really fast.

If they introduced a short timer before it started draining so you could crouch and then void dash on the last bit of energy you had, I think I'd have little complaint about the whole thing.
And maybe a UI that does more than do a gradient change of dark yellow to slightly brighter yellow as it refills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

I'd pay for that deluxe​ skin. And I mean let me walk around as a giant poster board with this image on both sides.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sazabi posted:

I'd pay for that deluxe​ skin. And I mean let me walk around as a giant poster board with this image on both sides.

Makes more sense for Mesa. God, if she could use her 4 with Aksomati...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
To commemorate our recent escalation of wattchewant games:

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

:perfect:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

Implied next line:

The dragon is Malachite.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Rorac posted:

Implied next line:

The dragon is Malachite.

More so the latest in a line of in-jokes that started with this :v:
E: I think I used to have that exact chair for my computer as a teenager, too. Wood frame and white fabric back/seat.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I still love that line.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I just started playing this the other day and I don't understand the level system. How do I know when I can take on harder content? I'm at Venus right now and I tried doing a Nightmare mission and I got smoked. The normal content has been pretty easy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the level of your gear that really matters. Your tier only affects what game systems and gear you have access to. Join the goon guild and get showered in stuff you need.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
jumped back on this (i played very briefly back when loki was one of the starter choices), and picked up the free frost prime thing from the twitch promotion. definitely finding him a much easier character to start wrapping my head around things with, being able to bubble or do damage with my spells is a nice buffer for when im bumblefucking through levels & the additional base survivability is nice too, now i just gotta start learning what stuff i should be aiming for etc.

i've got a dual heat swords blueprint apparently so im thinking of building those to see what they're like? or is that a beginner trap? is there a way to see what the mission bonus objectives (im assuming that's what they are at least) are for each mission? for example sometimes i'll get a little "swordsman - x/10 melee kills" or "rifleman - x/30 rifle kills" that pops up and they seem to give bonus exp to something.

also threw out a request for the goon guild :)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Synthbuttrange posted:

Join the goon guild and get showered in stuff you need.

Not kidding.

:love: Cathair and Lugwy. Thanks for your contributions to my shabby space poor self earlier.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its the level of your gear that really matters. Your tier only affects what game systems and gear you have access to. Join the goon guild and get showered in stuff you need.

Well, it's not so much the level of your gear really, it's what mods and their level you have fitted to said gear. Gear level plays a role there since it determines what mods you can fit, but weapons don't get more powerful on their own. An unranked weapon and one at level 30 without mods are functionally identical.

It's honestly one of the more difficult things to wrap your head around as a new player, simply because you don't know the possibility space yet. It's easy to hand someone a pile of mods so they can get going, but figuring out what works and why on your own can be pretty daunting at first.

Thankfully, we have a clan full of folks willing to help people figure this poo poo out (and shower them with the stuff they need to get started).

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

i've got a dual heat swords blueprint apparently so im thinking of building those to see what they're like? or is that a beginner trap?

Its not a weapon that anyone talks about ever. But "trap" is a strong word in this game, since every weapon you level gets you closer to the next Mastery Rank, and there's probably an Actually Really Good gun or sword or whatever a rung or two up from where you are. Unless you've got something melee you're really attached to already, build it, level it, optionally trash it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

i've got a dual heat swords blueprint apparently so im thinking of building those to see what they're like? or is that a beginner trap? is there a way to see what the mission bonus objectives (im assuming that's what they are at least) are for each mission? for example sometimes i'll get a little "swordsman - x/10 melee kills" or "rifleman - x/30 rifle kills" that pops up and they seem to give bonus exp to something.
Keep and use the swords, they're probably not gonna last you to the endgame or anything but mastery is mastery and you want all of that you can get.

If you hit escape to bring up the menu it'll show you your bonus objective for that mission. Depending on what it is (it's random) it'll give you up to 5k xp on completion, split between your frame and your equipped weapons. It's a nice bonus while you're leveling stuff but nothing you need to get too worked up about.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The moment you trash something is when you realize it's needed to build something else

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mill Village posted:

I just started playing this the other day and I don't understand the level system. How do I know when I can take on harder content? I'm at Venus right now and I tried doing a Nightmare mission and I got smoked. The normal content has been pretty easy.

Nightmare Mode missions are significantly harder relative to the other missions on their respective planet and are unlikely to be easy for a new player without partners. Warframe is a game with such feature bloat that it can't realistically tutorialize, so if you're on PC I highly recommend you join the Goon clan and get one of those losers fine people to guide you through what you ought to do.

If you're on PS4 Gumble might be able to hook you up, and if you're an idiot like me on Xbox I'm your guy. :)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

The moment you trash something is when you realize it's needed to build something else

Never sell something without checking this first

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons_Required_as_Crafting_Ingredients

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

never trash anything because future weapons might be made from them

otoh trash easy to make weapons (i.e. readily available materials)

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Mill Village posted:

Levels don't mean much other than how many mods you can put in it. Strength level is actually based mostly on mods while on frame levels also mean how many of your powers are available to you.

Someone who is Mastery Rank 24 using a level 0 frame and weapons with no mods is the same thing as fresh off the tutorial newbie. While a crap weapon with max level Serration mod will out damage a strong weapon with no mods (maybe, since Tigris Prime exists).

Nightmare mode is usually give you no shield which means your frame gets twice as squishy unless you use tank frames or the ones without shields. Sometimes it even beefed up the enemy levels or drops more eximus units. So if you're not ready it can get brutal.

Mission levels only shows the levels the enemies started on and they grow higher in endless missions. Use it only as a rough estimate whether your weapons/frames could kill them or not. If you had to empty an entire clip on a level 40*Grineer Lancer's face, you won't make it against level 50 of the same guy without changing your weapons or mods.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wid posted:

Nightmare mode is usually give you no shield which means your frame gets twice as squishy unless you use tank frames or the ones without shields. Sometimes it even beefed up the enemy levels or drops more eximus units. So if you're not ready it can get brutal.
I've never seen a nightmare mode not have higher enemy levels than the normal mission. And alert nightmares always have no shield mode, and don't list the higher enemy levels in the list of alerts.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mill Village posted:

Get in the guild and get all the standard mods as freebies and also beg for some endo farm. Also get a frame to 30 and tag along for sorties ASAP who cares if you die a lot or whatever goons will just drag you through it. Best frames/weapons to get asap are Rhino, Ignis, Hek, Sonicor, Lex prime, Broken War, Atterax. You can do all the content in the game with a halfway decent rhino (doesn't even need potato honestly, just keep your two up) and a hek+sonicor (both potato and forma once or twice) with nothing but give away mods from the guild.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And don't be afraid to ask questions, even if it might seem stupid to ask about something! Just because you don't get an answer doesn't mean we're laughing at you- we're playing, too, and might not be able to reply to you just yet.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you have a specificly stupid good question it can usualy be answered in the Discord.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
oh boy i wasnt expecting to have to suddenly fight a rhino when i went to unlock the venus junction thing hahaha

should i just be trying to do all the earth levels before i move on to anywhere else? because there's some levels here like a nightmare one thats level 20-25 which seems a bit wild for the starting zone so i think i might be misunderstanding what im meant to be doing

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

oh boy i wasnt expecting to have to suddenly fight a rhino when i went to unlock the venus junction thing hahaha

should i just be trying to do all the earth levels before i move on to anywhere else? because there's some levels here like a nightmare one thats level 20-25 which seems a bit wild for the starting zone so i think i might be misunderstanding what im meant to be doing

Nah, you don't really have to complete all the nodes, although having all nodes available is helpful since it allows you to do alerts that appear on those nodes. Earth is a bit weird, since you'll go from Earth to Venus to Mercury and then back through Earth to Mars and onwards. Also, a bunch of Earth nodes are gated by a boss with an MR5 requirement. Said boss is also maybe the worst boss in the game.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Quirkk posted:

Nah, you don't really have to complete all the nodes, although having all nodes available is helpful since it allows you to do alerts that appear on those nodes. Earth is a bit weird, since you'll go from Earth to Venus to Mercury and then back through Earth to Mars and onwards. Also, a bunch of Earth nodes are gated by a boss with an MR5 requirement. Said boss is also maybe the worst boss in the game.

Can you still just run past him and skip his first couple of fights?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Worst boss for sure. Best "taunts" though. Or tied for first with the Uranus boss.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

When it decides to not bug out something else, yes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yep. You can just run right past him 'til you get to the arena where he summons his ChickenGundam.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So anyway, as a new guy you're gonna need Serration, split chamber, hornet strike, barrel diffusion, and pressure point.

There are also 4 dual stat mods for primaries, secondaries, and melee, for 16 total (shotguns have their own) These give 60% dmg type and 60% status choice for 7 mod points. Standard elemental mods give you 90% dmg type for 11 mod points.

The status can make the weapon have a lot more versatility. Saving 4 mod points is loving amazing if you're not addicted to putting forma in poo poo.

You can probably have someone give you the toxin dual stat mods, the rest are kind of a pain in the rear end to reliably get. A lot of them come from spy missions so get good at spy, and maybe you'll get all the parts for Ivara.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Really my main thing would just to be to tell you to clear the star chart. Clear the drat star chart. It doesn't really require any planning until you get to Saturn. Then the Grineer start being able to actually damage you and take more than a stiff breeze to push over.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, being able to run past the first few Vay Hek fights does not stop him from being bad and annoying.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Quirkk posted:

Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, being able to run past the first few Vay Hek fights does not stop him from being bad and annoying.

I made that mistake once. Still haven't built hydroid.

Also my least favorite boss was level 100 augmented armor raptor before I figured out Titania can fly above his shooting angles.

ski
Oct 29, 2011

I know I am.

Sandweed posted:

If you have a specificly stupid good question it can usualy be answered in the Discord.

This is probably a stupid idea, but how feasible would it be to add a channel to the Discord specifically for New Player Questions?

I know I've had some dumb questions that I've wanted to ask since I started playing again, but I didn't want to bother the main chat so I either wiki'd it or moved on. The main chat is good about answering questions most of the time, but I'd still feel more comfortable asking in a channel specifically set up for Q&A.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ski posted:

This is probably a stupid idea, but how feasible would it be to add a channel to the Discord specifically for New Player Questions?

I know I've had some dumb questions that I've wanted to ask since I started playing again, but I didn't want to bother the main chat so I either wiki'd it or moved on. The main chat is good about answering questions most of the time, but I'd still feel more comfortable asking in a channel specifically set up for Q&A.

You could even sticky certain posts for maximum helpful!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

ski posted:

The Dojo chamnel isn't that bussy and it's the one people chill out in.

ski
Oct 29, 2011

I know I am.

Sandweed posted:

The Dojo chamnel isn't that bussy and it's the one people chill out in.

Not busy? I have a back log of nightmarish spider and beetle pictures from this morning that beg to differ.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, the discord is good but I don't think there should be a single on topic channel for the five that explicitly aren't, if that channel is also going to go off topic 80% of the time

It's not even just newbies that have questions either, since the game is terribly self-documented and older players still have to ask how much they think rivers are worth, if anyone wants a riven for weapon X, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PS hit me up if you have a good stradavar riven