Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nordick posted:

So uh, can someone change my "J4G" title in the in-game clan list? I'm a real goon, I just forgot to post here when I applied to the clan. :downs:

Game name is Norpal.
It's just the default rank that's given when you accept your clan invite. Sometimes I get around to changing them, most of the time I don't and it really doesn't matter at all either way since the permissions aren't any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ah, gotcha. Guess I should've realized that myself. No worries, then.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
At what point would I be considered 'ready' to go do Void missions or whatnot?

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009
:siren: Nightmare Alert on PC :siren: for Blaze Shotgun mod. 34minutes remaining

It has a 1% chance reward for normal Nightmare mode so jump on it if you dont have it already.

sockpuppetclock posted:

At what point would I be considered 'ready' to go do Void missions or whatnot?

If you've cleared Mercury you should be fine with Tower 1 missions, ask in clan chat if anyone wants in since they have ok rewards (and are tradeable now if you end up getting duplicates). Wouldn't reccomend soloing them unless your are anti-social though.

Grobbit fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 22, 2014

nacon
May 7, 2005

I have to disagree...

Denzine posted:

Target cap. Do not allow it to be recast until primed enemies are dead or de-primed.

This leads to the annoying gameplay of "find that torso!" (or other enemy stuck in bumfucksville)so you can recast your ability!

quote:

Alternatively, remove the explosion component entirely. A massive aoe 50% Slow 100% damage boost ult is still pretty excellent.

Welcome to playing the Nova, explosive weapon required.

Yeah, the Nova is a strong class. M. Prime is arguably one of the strongest abilities in the game. My strongest disincentive from using M. Prime Nova constantly is the experience system - I don't need to have that much warframe experience. In fact, I'd rather level my secondary/primary weapons over dumping XP into my warframe.

But I do like playing with Novas, 25% exp spread across all my poo poo is nice!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Tnega posted:

To those of you posting nerf m prime, I ask "how".

It costs 100 energy, that wont change because DE has a hard on for power four ALWAYS costing 100.
It causes enemies to attack/move 50% slower. Removing this would have no real effect on the power.
It causes enemies to take double damage. This could be removed and make the power slightly more balanced.
It has a range of 25m for cast and 15m for the blast, maximized to ~59m and ~35m. Let us propose we cut the default range in half. Maximized it is still larger than the unnerfed default.
It does 800 damage on explosion unmodded. You could lower this and make maximized range less viable... and that's about it.
You can cast it in the air. So what?
You can cast it while enemies are under its effect. Removing this part of it is probably the only thing possible to nerf it without a complete overhaul.

Any other ideas?

The attack/move slow is super significant, and would help balance it if removed, I don't understand how you could think this would have no effect. What needs to happen is it needs to not be a huge chain reaction when one enemy goes down, enemies exploding and damaging others when they die is fine, but killing them and causing them to explode and so-on is what makes it just instantly kill everything in the room making the power completely ridiculous. I think if they made it so that the explosions could not in turn cause other m-primed enemies to explode themselves it would probably be fine, it might even make it fun to use.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 22, 2014

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I read the wiki some more, and a few other pages I won't mention, any sage goon advice for farming up firestorm/heavy caliber/split chamber? Looks like I need to ODD and T3 Corpus Def. til mine eyes bleed, but if there's something I missed, please enlighten me.

For the new guys, I have a spare hornet strike and serration if anyone needs them.

Edit: Also, I'm trying to resolve my session join issues by adding people to the friend list on PC. Sorry for the inconvenience I'll be causing, it's the only way to fix it for now.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 22, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Doesn't look like anyone mentioned it: There's a catalyst blueprint up for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cowcaster posted:

Doesn't look like anyone mentioned it: There's a catalyst blueprint up for 3 hours and 20 minutes.
It's the 24-hour alert they always do after the biweekly dev livestream.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Helter Skelter posted:

It's the 24-hour alert they always do after the biweekly dev livestream.

I... I didn't know this was a thing :negative:

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
They also do a free 1000 plat giveaway a few times per stream; last dev stream only had 54 people logged on for the first giveaway so that's something that might be worth paying attention to. Streams show up in the news tickers so you can keep track of them!

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
So this got added to the other warframe app that's floating around.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ezardlabs.warframe&hl=en

I've mostly been using it as a mod simulator.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Tnega posted:

To those of you posting nerf m prime, I ask "how".

It costs 100 energy, that wont change because DE has a hard on for power four ALWAYS costing 100.
It causes enemies to attack/move 50% slower. Removing this would have no real effect on the power.
It causes enemies to take double damage. This could be removed and make the power slightly more balanced.
It has a range of 25m for cast and 15m for the blast, maximized to ~59m and ~35m. Let us propose we cut the default range in half. Maximized it is still larger than the unnerfed default.
It does 800 damage on explosion unmodded. You could lower this and make maximized range less viable... and that's about it.
You can cast it in the air. So what?
You can cast it while enemies are under its effect. Removing this part of it is probably the only thing possible to nerf it without a complete overhaul.

Any other ideas?

Have you never played any high-level content or something? You just highlighted the two reasons why Molecular Prime is the best damage ult in the game, the reasons why it's ranked next to Roar as one of the two mandatory tools for high-level content, and you think they're trivial. :cripes:

M. Prime could be made more balanced in one of two easy steps:
A) Remove the debuffs, so that it only turns enemies into walking bombs, possibly increase the radial damage a little. Gives the power the same basic dynamic, but it would actually require effort to make use of and wouldn't insta-kill entire rooms. Downside is that without a non-damage component, the power is just as mediocre as every other pure-damage power in higher level content.
B) Remove the damage component, leaving the debuffs to movement, speed, and damage vulnerability. Makes the power require even more effort to use, but would be more powerful overall than the above, as it would still hold up just as well in higher level fights and can also be used as a defensive tool. Some would argue that it would be overpowered even in this state (much like Roar), because as I've already mentioned repeatedly, anything that has percentile scaling outperforms the hell out of anything that doesn't in higher level combat.

Re: Mass Effect style global cooldowns, I like the idea because it makes it so you never have to worry about expending a non-regenerating resource in order to use your fun spaceninja powers- you have infinite casts, just with cooldowns in between- and also requires some semblance of tactical thinking as to when and where you deploy your strongest abilities. You have to ask yourself, do I need to use this overpowered room-clearer so badly that it's worth being without powers for however long the global cooldown is? Or should I use a lesser power and not be vulnerable for as long? You know, the same tactical considerations that made this system one of the few interesting things about Mass Effect's clunky combat. Sure, there's some issues with interfacing this system with the way Warframe works right now, specifically the synergies between certain powers that require them to be cast one after the other. It could be tweaked in many ways though, and I don't mind talking about wild ideas because hey, it's not like DE reads this thread anyway.

Right now, all it takes is collecting enough power and then bam, feel free to hit harder than God for as long as your power pool lasts. This is the #1 reason why Warframe is a game about running into rooms and pressing the '4' key on your keyboard. If you're going to have powers that indiscriminately destroy entire rooms full of enemies, that are simply better in every way than all other powers or weapons you have, then there needs to be some sort of downside to that power, something that requires tactical thinking to deploy it and prevents it from being the solution to everything. If the current spamhappy system must be maintained, then the power of the ults needs to be diminished in some way, and I don't think that would work with Warframe's current horde gameplay.

But like I said, I'd settle for just having energy gain be consistent.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
So I'm not at Uranus or Sedna in the star map yet, but what exactly are invasions?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I've been out of the game for a while, but I was wondering if it was possible to copy my PC account over to the PS4? yet? Feel like I might enjoy it more with a controller.

EDIT: Oh man, looking at the wiki, Zephyr looks cool.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 22, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AzureRequiem posted:

So I'm not at Uranus or Sedna in the star map yet, but what exactly are invasions?

Every now and then a system is earmarked for "invasion," which means that several nodes will have a special event where you pick a side (Grineer or Corpus) and can go and play a special exterminate mission where you fight alongside the faction you chose. If you do it a certain number of times (usually 5), you get a special reward once people have played the mission enough times for one side to win that conflict.

There's also infestations, where one of the sides is always the Infested and the missions usually take three runs instead of five and have a lower payout.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AzureRequiem posted:

Grineer and Corpus basically fight over control of a map node. Each side offers a reward, you pick the side offering the most appealing reward to you and run the mission 5 times to get the reward once the invasion is over. The missions are all exterminate objectives on special tilesets. The winning faction takes over the map node until another invasion causes it to flip again. This is how we ended up with Kappa, originally a Grineer mobile defense on the Grineer asteroid tileset, as a Corpus mobile defense on said asteroid tileset.

PrinnySquadron posted:

I've been out of the game for a while, but I was wondering if it was possible to copy my PC account over to the PS4? yet? Feel like I might enjoy it more with a controller.
Not yet, but there's nothing really stopping you from plugging a 360 controller into your PC and playing that way right now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Of course, occasionally DE gets brilliant ideas like the Harvester, which requires you to complete invasions on the Grineer side to piss off the Corpus if you want a Detron (cool little energy shotgun sidearm). This resulted in everyone siding with the Grineer which is why they now control the entirety of Europa except the boss node.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Of course, occasionally DE gets brilliant ideas like the Harvester, which requires you to complete invasions on the Grineer side to piss off the Corpus if you want a Detron (cool little energy shotgun sidearm). This resulted in everyone siding with the Grineer which is why they now control the entirety of Europa except the boss node.

And also how they took Cyath on Eris, which is why we even need to use Kappa to farm Corpus anyway :argh:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I got the Detron blueprint last night on accident. I didn't even realize the Harvester came into the game because we were just blowing up everything in the room and then all of a sudden I see "Detron Blueprint" pop up on my screen.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
So I'm super, super new to this but this game is oodles of fun. I've just finished every mission in Mercury, got the regular Braton to level 10, twigged that fusing things makes them better and how that works.

I'm trying to get Morphics so I can build the dojo key because it seems like an important thing I should do; is Vor a good place for this? I keep getting the receiver for his pistol so I guess I'll just build that whenever I get the barrel, but my priority is still the dojo key.

Also I started as Mag and have fused my Pull up a few ranks, I want to pick up Loki and Excal but Mag feels really good.

e: Oh, I applied and got invited into the clan as monstrodoom. If you see me online and don't mind hanging out with a workaholic who plays an average of five hours a week in low-level content, feel free to drop in. :byodame:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jesus when are we gonna get a way to revive sentinels that isn't dying and using a revive. It took me three tries in a survival earlier because the pubs kept ignoring my request to NOT res me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Don't quote me on this but I think if you take off a sentinel's main attack ability (which is no real loss since they do trash damage) , they'll never draw aggression. So you can have your floating truck nuts hoovering up all the items forever without worrying about it getting smashed.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They'll still get blown up really quick from AOEs from Napalms and such.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Don't quote me on this but I think if you take off a sentinel's main attack ability (which is no real loss since they do trash damage) , they'll never draw aggression. So you can have your floating truck nuts hoovering up all the items forever without worrying about it getting smashed.

For what it's worth you can actually make them pretty awesome if you put a catalyst on the Sweeper weapon and have a lot of the good shotgun mods. I had a hard time leveling melee weapons with the flying potato because it just destroyed everything I got close to.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

For what it's worth you can actually make them pretty awesome if you put a catalyst on the Sweeper weapon and have a lot of the good shotgun mods. I had a hard time leveling melee weapons with the flying potato because it just destroyed everything I got close to.

Same here. I couldn't level the ignis at all because the sweeper would kill everything first.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The sound from Sweeper was annoying me so I took the attack mod off so it would be quieter. That would have been the only time I actually used one of the inane silencer mods, but shotguns don't have one! The real issue was I was using Sweeper on a non-Carrier sentinel, and the attack precepts for the other sentinels have much longer range when you max them. End result was it blindly firing a shotgun at something 30m away and dealing zero damage. For reference, Carrier maxes its range out at 10m. Either way, once I finished leveling the non-Carrier sentinels, I just didn't feel like hearing the shotgun sound.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 23, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Elysiume posted:

The sound from Sweeper was annoying me so I took the attack mod off so it would be quieter. That would have been the only time I actually used one of the inane silencer mods, but shotguns don't have one! The real issue was I was using Sweeper on a non-Carrier sentinel, and the attack precepts for the other sentinels have much longer range when you max them. End result was it blindly firing a shotgun at something 30m away and dealing zero damage. For reference, Carrier maxes its range out at 10m. Either way, once I finished leveling the non-Carrier sentinels, I just didn't feel like hearing the shotgun sound.

Silencer mods don't actually reduce the noise you hear.

Mercury_Storm posted:

They'll still get blown up really quick from AOEs from Napalms and such.

They also get killed by toxic ancients pretty easily. Actually my sentinel doesn't have the attack precept and it gets killed all the time.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I'm in favour of eliminating the energy globe system. As has already been said, it provides a strong incentive to just save your energy for mashing '4' when you see a bunch of guys. I never used Excalibur's Super Jump because of this, and it would have been much cooler if we could see all powers being used in combination, rather than just the supers. I think the Mass Effect system did it pretty well, as you could develop strategies that took the different cooldowns into account, so some abilities you could fire off quickly, and some would put you out for a bit, but you were never 'losing' anything by using them, so you never felt you needed to hoard anything. And I don't think this would make the game into WoW, as you are also still running, jumping, shooting, and slashing away. Few fights are going to be someone standing in a corner counting down timers for optimal DPS.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Cowcaster posted:

I can't think of a single time my sentinel was actually attacked directly while I was not downed instead of getting blown up by AoE or attacks that were directed at me and the sentinel accidentally intercepted.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sleepy Owl posted:

Silencer mods don't actually reduce the noise you hear.
They are somehow more useless than I thought in the first place. I've never actually equipped one.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Skandranon posted:

I'm in favour of eliminating the energy globe system. As has already been said, it provides a strong incentive to just save your energy for mashing '4' when you see a bunch of guys. I never used Excalibur's Super Jump because of this, and it would have been much cooler if we could see all powers being used in combination, rather than just the supers. I think the Mass Effect system did it pretty well, as you could develop strategies that took the different cooldowns into account, so some abilities you could fire off quickly, and some would put you out for a bit, but you were never 'losing' anything by using them, so you never felt you needed to hoard anything. And I don't think this would make the game into WoW, as you are also still running, jumping, shooting, and slashing away. Few fights are going to be someone standing in a corner counting down timers for optimal DPS.

I hate to tell you, but if anyone on your team is running with Energy Syphon, you basically have a built in cooldown system, except you have more flexibility than Mass Effect's global cooldown system. :ssh:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I have no idea what Mass Effect's system is, but if each ability had its own cooldown, there'd be more incentive to use abilities that are very similar to each other. For example, you could use one ability, then use another ability while waiting for the cooldown to end.

I mean, I'd prefer it if they made each ability distinct and worth using on its own, but

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
How about this: Remove blue orbs entirely, add passive energy regeneration (boosted by energy syphon) to all frames. Maybe caster types get more innate regen. Energy cap is boostable with mods just like now, tone down +energy efficiency mods to maybe +50% max combined to prevent excessive spamming. Ultimates should probably also get a cooldown.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I can't think of a single time my sentinel was actually attacked directly while I was not downed instead of getting blown up by AoE or attacks that were directed at me and the sentinel accidentally intercepted.

I don't know if they do it any more, but I've definitely seen Grineer Scorpions throwing a harpoon into my Sentinel to try and drag it to them.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Are energy siphon mods really rare or would it be okay to ask if a goon has an extra because I'm about to finish crafting rhino and I want to try out this whole unlimited energy thing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are energy siphon mods really rare or would it be okay to ask if a goon has an extra because I'm about to finish crafting rhino and I want to try out this whole unlimited energy thing.
I'm sure that someone has an extra (I don't :( )but the reason Energy Siphon is rare is that it (like all auras) is only given out as a reward for certain alerts.

Officer No Gun
Aug 26, 2003

70sMan
Can I get an invite for the PS4 clan (officernogun)?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
What frame(s) are y'all thinking of whose powers are terrible in the energy system but suddenly become useful in a cooldown system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Denzine posted:

What frame(s) are y'all thinking of whose powers are terrible in the enrgy system but suddenly become useful in a cooldown system?

Nyx Mind control. Super Jump. Saryn's melee buff thing. Banshee silence, perhaps. Probably some others?

I don't like the idea of a cooldown system, mind you.