Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How comparable is it to maiming strike in a usefulness/price ratio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If you're really, absolutely trying to hit max DPS for a crit based build you'd need it, but I prefer bladed rounds for actual play. Almost as good and doesn't need headshots.

edit: I dunno about the current price situation but maiming strike is way better, relatively speaking.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Night10194 posted:

The Argonak has the best firing sound of any automatic rifle except the Grakata because the Grakata is a perfect special wonder.

I prefer the Buzlok. It sounds like a type-writer made out of sledgehammers and sheet metal.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

If you're really, absolutely trying to hit max DPS for a crit based build you'd need it, but I prefer bladed rounds for actual play. Almost as good and doesn't need headshots.

edit: I dunno about the current price situation but maiming strike is way better, relatively speaking.

I think bladed rounds ends up being slightly better in paper and way better in practice.

I think my all time record was 50 head shots in a game. You're killing dudes all the time though. The uptime is much higher.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just checked, cheapest argon scope is 440, maiming Strike is 870. Which makes me think I should sell both as I never use them. MS is, as mentioned, way better, probably at least twice as good, so AS's price/utility ratio is worse if you ask me

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How comparable is it to maiming strike in a usefulness/price ratio?

Argon scope is over rated. It is less useful and much much less expensive than maiming strike. Bladed rounds is a much better idea in most cases and was common enough drop from the events that people probably have spares and is significantly cheaper. Especially good on a soma P which has insane crit multiplier base.

Still using those mods on a "newbie friendly" build is dumb, obviously.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

metasynthetic posted:

Been playing with the Arca Plasmor and I'm a big fan of how aiming is optional with it. It's just so drat satisfying. Reminds me of a primary version of Sonicor.

Edit: It's like Sonicor and Ignis had a baby. :awesome:

if you liked that, put punch through on it

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I think bladed rounds ends up being slightly better in paper and way better in practice.

I think my all time record was 50 head shots in a game. You're killing dudes all the time though. The uptime is much higher.

Yeah basically this. It's certainly not bad but it's definitely tryhard spreadsheet bait.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if you liked that, put punch through on it

Can you explain why? One of he first things I did was that, but it didn't seem to have much of an effect since the gun has infinite punch through on enemies. I didn't think it was worth an extra damage mod to replace with it. What was I missing?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Broose posted:

Can you explain why? One of he first things I did was that, but it didn't seem to have much of an effect since the gun has infinite punch through on enemies. I didn't think it was worth an extra damage mod to replace with it. What was I missing?

Decided to double check the wiki based on anime schoolgirl's post:

Warframe Wiki posted:

Innate 2 meters of Punch Through when shooting enemy bodies. If the central ball portion of each shot should connect with a wall or cover of any sort, it will completely dissipate. Adding additional Punch Through with mods makes it possible to penetrate objects such as doors, covers and walls up to a certain thickness.

I thought it was a flat 2m punchthrough and was impressed, now I find out there's more to be untapped?

I already put fatal acceleration on it for better range, like the Sonicor (I think, haven't formaed yet) this is more a tool for trivializing easy / mid level content, that's merely adequate for higher level stuff.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 17, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I used Ivara, Loki, and Limbo for a bunch of Moonspy runs and Limbo is the fastest as long as you can take those Orokin drones down in one shot.

Just put alllllll the mobiility mods on Limbo

Being able to run through the lasers is much better than being invisible or walking. It's really inconsistent which lasers actually trigger the alarms so being immune to all of them and cold floors seems to be key.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So I used Ivara, Loki, and Limbo for a bunch of Moonspy runs and Limbo is the fastest as long as you can take those Orokin drones down in one shot.

Just put alllllll the mobiility mods on Limbo

Being able to run through the lasers is much better than being invisible or walking. It's really inconsistent which lasers actually trigger the alarms so being immune to all of them and cold floors seems to be key.

This is maybe gonna sound weird but you pretty consistently come to the same conclusions I did when I really got into the game. Too bad you're on console.

:gay:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

This is maybe gonna sound weird but you pretty consistently come to the same conclusions I did when I really got into the game. Too bad you're on console.

:gay:

Im a PC Master race stuck in a Console Warrior body.

I probably veer a little too far into #numberz!# at times but I'm in sales where I play with margins, prices, and cost all day so I just love math.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Speaking of punchthrough, I recently got a +punchthrough +multishot +elemental riven that gives me a Karak Wraith with 29k DPS, an effective 35% status with multishot and, with Primed Shred, 4.5 god damned meters of punchthrough. It's not a godkiller but it'll wipe out whatever squad you're aiming at and also two other squads you didn't see in the other room :xd:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3UJ7suP7E

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Speaking of punchthrough, I recently got a +punchthrough +multishot +elemental riven that gives me a Karak Wraith with 29k DPS, an effective 35% status with multishot and, with Primed Shred, 4.5 god damned meters of punchthrough. It's not a godkiller but it'll wipe out whatever squad you're aiming at and also two other squads you didn't see in the other room :xd:

You're doing Rivens right

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I used Titania for moon spy. It was pretty good.

They've really reduced the plains grind but it's still disgusting how much work you have to put in for arcanes.

Gara also takes some pretty intense resources to build, not just kuva. I'll post a pic when I get home.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
What's the general idea for dicking around on the Plains? So far I'm not really digging it. It's pretty for sure, but the flow feels all sorts of messed up.

Go to Cetus -> Grab Bounty -> Get shoved into random group -> Immediately leave Plains because UI bugged -> Go to Cetus -> Grab Bounty -> Get shoved into random group -> Spend maybe 5 minutes doing bounty -> Return to Cetus -> Repeat

Usually takes as long or longer to get everything started than playing out the single mission. There's got to be a Better WayTM

Please, goons. Enlighten me.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Don't just run bounties, actually go to the Plains solo and wander around. Mine, fish, take random missions from Lotus, look for trouble. Treat it less like Warframe and more like a regular-degular open world RPG and it's a lot more fun :keke:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i basically never get into a group for it and just run around to do relaxing stuff like fishing. sure it's going to feel janky and annoying if all you're doing is trying to ram as many bounties down your throat as you can

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

DONT DO IT posted:

Get shoved into random group

Found your problem

fake edit: Also, groups should only form by having the leader send out invites after accepting the bounty and zoning into the plains. After that, as long as everyone stays in Cetus after each mission and doesn't gently caress off to their ship or wherever you should have your instances synced up.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
System is buggy as hell right now. I don't even bother with groups unless it is a pre-made goon group. And because plains are bugged the group has to break up after every bounty. So I usually solo and do whatever. Maybe take an easy bounty, then mine and fish on my way back. Collecting and murdering (sometimes in style) like any other part of the game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I accidentally did two bounties just doing the quest to unlock Gara's blueprint. Like I wouldn't even have realized I had done it if the challenge progress hadn't ticked up on the kill.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Broose posted:

Argon scope is over rated. It is less useful and much much less expensive than maiming strike. Bladed rounds is a much better idea in most cases and was common enough drop from the events that people probably have spares and is significantly cheaper. Especially good on a soma P which has insane crit multiplier base.

Still using those mods on a "newbie friendly" build is dumb, obviously.

It's hilarious because a Soma P with Serration, Split Chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, Shred, and 3x Elementals is perfectly viable. In fact, I still use one despite having both Argon Scope and Bladed Rounds because it's simple and no-nonsense. Furthermore, none of these mods are particularly expensive (although maxing a serration is obv. pretty hard).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Speaking of newbie friendly mods.

Is there a defined list somewhere of generally good common mods/upgrade ranks for weapons for newbies so you can just slot in poo poo as you're leveling up, or do you just shove whatever fits in and hope for the best?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tornhelm posted:

Speaking of newbie friendly mods.

Is there a defined list somewhere of generally good common mods/upgrade ranks for weapons for newbies so you can just slot in poo poo as you're leveling up, or do you just shove whatever fits in and hope for the best?

ive been leveling stuff until its super loving expensive (1k endo per level) and just putting in what can fit and looks good. But a quick TLDR would be nice.

Also apparently elements are a thing and its good to make a gun towards that to fight specific mobs. Though this may be getting to min/max and ahead of myself.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0/Radiation_Damage
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0/Corrosive_Damage

etc etc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
generally, magnetic = bad but otherwise factions have enough different enemies with different weaknesses that the specific elements matter less than pumping out a ton of damage of any type. it's different for status weapons, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
People in clanchat will tell you Blast damage is bad, but there is nothing bad about shooting exploding lasers at a space man.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This game would be better if it ever pointed you in a direction

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a lot more important to build your weapon to its strengths than to worry about specific damage types which might be more or less useful depending on what enemies you face anyways

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just put radiation on everything.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I just put radiation on everything.

"And they called him 'Fukushima'"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Let's look at Gara.

So what the hell does that all mean.

It means first of all, Gara no longer requires Kuva, which is a huge plus. The minus is that you need a ton of PoE resources. Notably, Pyrotic Alloy, Esher Devar, and Coprite Alloy. If you pick one of Devar or Coprite as your reward for the first rank up, you're still spending at least 11,000 on just the minerals, plus 500 on the cutter to mine in the first place. Plus another 500 on the Lanzo spear so you can get the Charc Electroplax. Oh, also you need to somehow get the Tear Azurite recipe (1,000 rep) to be able to get access to the Devar and Coprite recipes at all. So that's 13,000 rep, minus the 500 you start with so 12,500, if you focus with laser like precision on getting the Gara resources and don't experiment with dyes or any such nonsense.

Plus you have to actually get the resources, including the Cetus Wisps.

Holyshoot posted:

ive been leveling stuff until its super loving expensive (1k endo per level) and just putting in what can fit and looks good. But a quick TLDR would be nice.

Corrosive Projection should be the highest priority to level up once you get it (620 endo).

The straight elemental mods like Infected Clip should be maxed (620 total endo x12).

I recommend getting Hornet Strike and Serration up to at least rank 6 ASAP (1260 endo x2).

Max Pressure Point and Point Blank (310 x2)

Level 6 Vitality & Redirection are good benchmarks (630 endo x2).

Intensify and continuity are worth maxing (930 endo x2).

Stretch & Streamline are also worth maxing (620 x2).

Seeker is worth getting to rank 3 (210 endo).

A stance is also a good idea (140-210 endo).

That's without any nightmare or corrupted mods. Totals up to 15,910-15,980 endo, which seems a little daunting at first but actually turns out to be quite a bit of endo. Near half of that is the elemental mods however, and they're probably the most skimpable. If you are unbearably, unbelievably lucky (literally getting 400 endo on every single A rotation and leaving at 10 minutes), you can get that much endo in 6 hours 40 minutes of high level survival. The actual drop rate is 25% for 400 endo, so it's more like 27 hours. Much faster if you're doing Excavations, but still going to take a while.

There's also the credit cost of this, which is 48.3 credits per endo used, so 768,453-771,834. Ignoring of course the cost of potentially (likely) trading for mods. Ignoring the daily double, if you get taxi'd to, let's just say Amarna because that's controllable, you're making probably 45,000 credits every five minutes (conservatively), or 17ish runs, so 85 minutes, so like an hour and a half. Not counting, of course, the credits you'd make as a by product of endo farming.

Holyshoot posted:

Also apparently elements are a thing and its good to make a gun towards that to fight specific mobs. Though this may be getting to min/max and ahead of myself.

etc etc

Here is the table that includes all damage types and all enemy types.

Of the physical (IPS) damage types, it's generally agreed that Slash has a significant advantage at higher levels due to its status proc. At lower levels it doesn't really matter too much,

If you're doing a single element, heat is pretty much the way to go - it gets great returns against Cloned Flesh (aka Grineer) and the common infested. The only type it's bad against is the relatively rare proto-shield.

However, when you get into later points you often end up with two dual elements. There's a couple combinations, but the general consensus is Viral+Radiation or Corrosive+Blast. Viral+Radiation specializes in killing Grineer Bombards and Napalms (as far as I'm concerned, the enemies that take the longest to kill) and has two good procs (Viral is half health, Radiation is soft crowd control). Corrosive+Blast absolutely ruins Ancients (the other 'hard' target), reduces armor (useful if solo/not having 4 corpro; completely pointless if you have 4 corpro) and exerts somewhat stronger (if shorter) crowd control from blast procs. I have a strong preference towards Viral+Radiation, since the best status is Dead and half-health gets you there very quickly, but the other views have merits. Gas has special uses with weird stuff like Saryn spore popping but you can worry about that later.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a lot more important to build your weapon to its strengths than to worry about specific damage types which might be more or less useful depending on what enemies you face anyways

Also this. Which generally means either crit or straight damage.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Tulip posted:

Some others:

Ignis: flamethrower that punches through walls.

Penta: remote detonation grenade launcher, great for air bursts.

Atomos: laser pistol that jumps between enemies like a chain lightning attack.

Angstrum: multi-rocket launcher.

Lex: technically a pistol, practically a sniper rifle.

Knell: an actual sniper pistol, gets a window of unlimited ammo on head shots.

Kulstar: rocket launcher that drops cluster bombs. Great for killing everything, including yourself.

Furis: there's a mod that turns it into a vampire gun.

Pox: poison squid grenades.

I love the Kulstar on Mag, and the fact that it's a rocket launcher pistol

Throw in some multi shot mods and it's little rockets everywhere for days.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 17, 2017

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Rainuwastaken posted:

People in clanchat will tell you Blast damage is bad, but there is nothing bad about shooting exploding lasers at a space man.

I built my akstiletto prime around crit and blast status. I think it's really effective for knocking singles and groups on their rear end and doing a little aoe while you fill them with lead.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Rainuwastaken posted:

I put blast damage on every shotgun I have, including my sortie Vaykor Hek.

You'll see why once you do it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Blast is loving awesome CC. I bring boar prime to high level sorties if I need to run through a level with a squishy frame for that exact reason

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

etc etc

That won't be that much endo if you can slum your way through sorties. They drop 4k endo and a high endo value statue pretty regularly.

Everything bitches about the high endo drop rate but it's really for our own good

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Pierson posted:

That's unfortunately 100% subjective and different people enjoy different guns because there's just so many. I'll run through a few cool ones though.

Drakoon: basically a giant flak-cannon. The longer you hold down fire the tighter the spread will be. Ricochets everywhere, very cool.
Lenz: A weird explosive megabow that creates slowing zones where it hits then blows up whatever is inside.
Marelok/Vaykor Marelok: Fuckin' sweet lever-action pistol. The Vaykor version has a proc which explodes things around it.
Tigris: Insanely strong shotgun with a neat gimmick where one barrel is fired when you hit fire and another barrel is fired when you release it, so you can either kill two goons with a barrel each or unload with both at once superfast. It's Soma Prime-levels of strong too.
Opticor: Laser cannon.
Zarr: Imagine a cannon, like from an old sailing ship, except handheld, and the cannonballs fragment and explode on impact. Also you reload it by shoving new rounds down the barrel.

Uhhh, did you even read my post before throwing a hissy fit? I told him no other assault rifle is better and he should try non assault rifles. You said I was wrong and proceeded to list non assault rifles. My post is not that long. It's only 2 sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

That escalated quickly. We're all friends here, all the guns are cool. Guns for everyone.