Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Hey I thought you vets might be interested in a newbies ongoing adventures in this game, so here's a post. I did the quest with the dysfunctional big worm people family, and got to test drive the 40K warhammer dreadnought which was pretty awesome. Definitely the most invested I've been to a storyline in the game so far. I also now have a couple of blueprints that I'd like to build, so all these random materials dropping are starting to make a bit more sense. I need a LOT of this poo poo to make anything happen, huh? That's fine though, I'm not playing a game like this to see the end credits or whatever.

There's this assassin guy who has randomly appeared in some missions and done a very good job of killing me so far. Am I supposed to be able to take him on? He seems to one shot me out of nowhere. My current plan is that the next time he appears I will hit the 4 button to draw my omega lol damage sword and flail wildly.

There's also this quest that's asking me to kill a specific elite enemy in Ceres, and I'm not sure where and how these guys are supposed to spawn. The wiki says that they should turn up when the alarm goes off, but that hasn't helped yet. Oh, I'd also like to say that Scorpion sucks. Stay in Mortal Kombat you loving fuckman. I don't want to get over there. I'm fine where I am.

Despite Scorpions' best efforts I'm still having a lot of fun. I really like that this game allows me to get myself into actually difficult missions, challenging stuff that I wouldn't expect from a free to play game. There seems to be a high skill ceiling here, and I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The 40K Dreadnaught is like, the most recent stuff added. There's a whole bunch of other stuff deeper than that, but it is the most recent so it's the most "put together" of everything you'll experience by virtue of it just being released more recently. If you're invested in the storyline now, just wait until you do The Second Dream quest. DO NOT spoil yourself for that quest, it is best experienced cold.

The assassin guy is The Stalker and he's an emo edgelord rear end in a top hat who, yes, will murder the poo poo out of you for the first few mastery ranks. Do not be surprised when you're in your 4 and shooting sword beams at his face that he'll randomly dispel you and cancel your power. Once you get some ranked up mods under your belt, he will be laughably easy to murder, but will instead take the time to show up when you're levelling a new weapon.

For the specific enemies, I think that's the start of the second dream quest, but you need to be MR3 to get them to spawn.

If you haven't already, and are on the PC, join the goon clan and if you're MR2 at least, ask for the newbie mod pack. Veterans like ourselves have hundreds of duplicates of the basic +dam/Multishot/elemental mods and will shower you with them instead of you having to wait 30 hours for it to drop normally. These mods along with shoving endo into them to level the mods themselves up is your biggest gain of power early on. It will take a LOT of endo to max these and that's where the real "grind" is, but the core gameplay loop is fun in a myriad of ways so you often don't notice.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I'm in the guild already and received the noob dump of various mods and inventory slots and a bunch of stuff I didn't really understand, but thanks to the guild goons anyway!

Mastery Rank seems to be a thing that will actually block me from using cool equipment, so how does that thing work? I looked at the wiki page but it made my eyes unfocus. It seems that everything in the game kinda makes MR go up, but is there anything specific I could do to make it go up faster?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

In today's warframe adventures, I learned the equinox part 2 farm has a bonus stage: electric boogaloo.

Last piece and all that jazz, too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You gain MR by leveling new gear (weapons and frames mostly). Just keep building new stuff and leveling it to 30 as you play. I like to have one or two pieces of unmastered stuff equipped for easier missions, and sometimes I'll do a few defense missions with unleveled stuff just to speed level it. You can see what you've mastered in the codex.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

StoryTime posted:

Mastery Rank seems to be a thing that will actually block me from using cool equipment, so how does that thing work? I looked at the wiki page but it made my eyes unfocus. It seems that everything in the game kinda makes MR go up, but is there anything specific I could do to make it go up faster?

Mastery rank takes _X_ thousands of points to level up. You get small amounts for a node (so 10 missions on a planet is 1k!)

The real meat is in warframes (6k per fully leveled frame) and pets (another 6k each), while weapons are 3k each.

So like, if you need 12k to rank up just slam out like, 2 warframes or 4 weapons from the foundry and level them up and thats it.

Don't forget to practice the test in the relays before jumping in blindly.

Mod capacity goes up as you rank up so its always worthwhile.

You can get a substantial amount of early mastery from doing the 'credit weapons' in the market. THe MK-1's, strun, lex's, etc. There's a filter button for it, easy to miss, or within the arsenal.(its an icon instead of text now) Or this for a short list.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/7l0eh4/anyone_have_a_list_of_all_weapons_purchasable/

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Okay, I need to have weapons and frames that aren't maxed out to gain mastery rank. And affinity goes towards leveling everything up. The dog counts? I'm hanging around with this ice beam drone that also buffs my shields. It's as good as a dog, right?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TheParadigm posted:

Mod capacity goes up as you rank up so its always worthwhile.

Specifically, starting mod capacity goes up, but not max capacity.

It's still a very nice perk.

StoryTime posted:

Okay, I need to have weapons and frames that aren't maxed out to gain mastery rank. And affinity goes towards leveling everything up. The dog counts? I'm hanging around with this ice beam drone that also buffs my shields. It's as good as a dog, right?

This is a very useful wiki page:
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Mastery_Rank

Dogs count, cats count, hoverboards count, almost everything counts.

Some frames have exalted weapons (like Excalibur's 4), those don't count, but they're the exception.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I will also note that when you do level up you are given the option to practice the test now. No going to the relay is required, but you can still totally do that too, if you want, since you'll need to visit Simaris eventually for scanner charges, his widgest and the scanhammer (for mastery).

You also get a breakdown of what contributes to your mastery rank on your profile page if you hover over your current progress to mastery, which is pretty neat! I still want nicer filters in the gear section to help me categorize what I'm missing, but this is DE, UX comes one agonizing redesign at a time.

Also of note: Any weapon gives you mastery once. If you say, buy a Mk-1 Braton, level it to 20, toss it because it's boring and terrible as gently caress, then buy it later, you will need to re-level it but the first 20 levels will give you no mastery points. So it's best to hop into a defense (or, once you have access to it, (elite) Sanctuary Onslaught) to level terrible weapons/frames you don't like quickly to 30 so you can put them on the shelf until later, or sell them.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

In today's warframe adventures, I learned the equinox part 2 farm has a bonus stage: electric boogaloo.

Last piece and all that jazz, too.

The game knows when to twist the knife.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

You also get a breakdown of what contributes to your mastery rank on your profile page if you hover over your current progress to mastery, which is pretty neat! I still want nicer filters in the gear section to help me categorize what I'm missing, but this is DE, UX comes one agonizing redesign at a time.

You actually can sort by 'progress' and then look at the bottom! its handy to see what you missed once you're actually on that screen

StoryTime posted:

Yup! pets count as companions, so anything there is on the same tier.

Sentinels (specifically) are actually more than a frame because the gun they come with is another 3k, so ice beam drone is 9k mastery by itself.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 6, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

StoryTime posted:

Hey I thought you vets might be interested in a newbies ongoing adventures in this game, so here's a post. I did the quest with the dysfunctional big worm people family, and got to test drive the 40K warhammer dreadnought which was pretty awesome. Definitely the most invested I've been to a storyline in the game so far. I also now have a couple of blueprints that I'd like to build, so all these random materials dropping are starting to make a bit more sense. I need a LOT of this poo poo to make anything happen, huh? That's fine though, I'm not playing a game like this to see the end credits or whatever.

There's this assassin guy who has randomly appeared in some missions and done a very good job of killing me so far. Am I supposed to be able to take him on? He seems to one shot me out of nowhere. My current plan is that the next time he appears I will hit the 4 button to draw my omega lol damage sword and flail wildly.

There's also this quest that's asking me to kill a specific elite enemy in Ceres, and I'm not sure where and how these guys are supposed to spawn. The wiki says that they should turn up when the alarm goes off, but that hasn't helped yet. Oh, I'd also like to say that Scorpion sucks. Stay in Mortal Kombat you loving fuckman. I don't want to get over there. I'm fine where I am.

Despite Scorpions' best efforts I'm still having a lot of fun. I really like that this game allows me to get myself into actually difficult missions, challenging stuff that I wouldn't expect from a free to play game. There seems to be a high skill ceiling here, and I like it!

Keep on keeping on! A fun note regarding that assassin: he scales based on the level of the mission, so when he pops up in some absurd lvl 200 mission he can murder a bitter vet harder than he murders you. It's quite hilarious.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How's the micro missile sentinel weapon?
I usually don't slot them with a weapon but I love tiny little missiles flying around.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I just finished the war within finally, and the game doesn't really tell you how the operator tree works does it?

Or Riven mods?

Or really enough of the games plot in general? (though that is partly me spreading the story quests over well more than a year (first couple I did was around the ps4 launch so many moons ago)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Billy Gnosis posted:

I just finished the war within finally, and the game doesn't really tell you how the operator tree works does it?

Or Riven mods?

Or really enough of the games plot in general? (though that is partly me spreading the story quests over well more than a year (first couple I did was around the ps4 launch so many moons ago)

Yeah, they really expect you to read a wiki and I hate it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Or Riven mods?

Apparently part of the plot was done in time limited events. So yeah, those are gone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

genericnick posted:

Apparently part of the plot was done in time limited events. So yeah, those are gone.

they said they'd eventually add the missing plot back via quests buuuuuuuut

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the missing plot is mostly just really old stuff about Grineer vs. Corpus conflicts, it doesn't really do much to fill in the gaps on the current main questline anyways

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

How's the micro missile sentinel weapon?
I usually don't slot them with a weapon but I love tiny little missiles flying around.

Its great, perfect little status spreader. Fires a little slow, but there's a few redeeming qualities:

Its innate heat. I tested it, and it works with Fired Up fully. Someone on the dev team is having a little laugh at that. Damage can be surprisingly good on heat only due to high status/dot's/lots of rockets.
It fires slow. You want +rof as much as possible.
Its actually a 4x1 burst fire. This means - like other burst weapons - multishot is applied on a per bullet basis. If you want all of the explosions, consider vigilante armaments. This will give you an 8-12 volley per pull, rng dependant.
Primed Firestorm is a thing now. Conversely, only split chamber has a 10% chance to not multishot rolled 4 times.

I don't think it dethrones deth machine rifle prime, but it can definitely do what cryotra does.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DelphiAegis posted:

level terrible weapons/frames you don't like quickly to 30 so you can put them on the shelf until later, or sell them.

Feed them to Audrey instead of selling.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the missing plot is mostly just really old stuff about Grineer vs. Corpus conflicts, it doesn't really do much to fill in the gaps on the current main questline anyways

I just assumed the Corpus's bitcoin caused the grineer to be as messed up as they are. :shrug:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Billy Gnosis posted:

Or Riven mods?

Game doesn't tell you poo poo about poo poo. Wiki dive or ask here or discord. Or if you have to clan chat but it's not a great place for links or long explanations.

Mailer posted:

Feed them to Audrey instead of selling.

Unlocking Audrey is a fair bit of work, for frames you can easily refarm. For MR getting carried through index until you can buy all the credit-purchased sentinels is a big boost though.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Anyone know how to blink with an Archwing using a controller? I can't seem to find a spot to assign that button. The usual dodge button is LB which is just descend.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Anyone know how to blink with an Archwing using a controller? I can't seem to find a spot to assign that button. The usual dodge button is LB which is just descend.

Tap the button instead of holding it

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
and you may have to go in to your settings and and set your controller to default layout, even if you've never changed anything. some jank code somewhere resets the dash at random during updates and this is their official fix cause they have no idea what causes it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
After watching this video I have come to the conclusion Octavia Prime is the most cleverly designed Prime in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5uM8PSAyn8

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgK9nt2UHTY

https://www.warframe.com/news/dev-workshop-update-29100-corpus-proxima-the-new-railjack

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
For those reward tiers, I'm curious as to what they mean by "Completed wreckage". I know I've scrapped a LOT of wreckage into dirac. Do I have to actually make items and then scrap them?

Though since Dirac is getting converted 1:1 to endo, I wonder if it's a faster endo farm than Arby's or other sources at this point up until release of Railjack 2.0 lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The railjack changes look great. I was worried about the mod changes but I think it's gonna work out well.

Plus, being able to hire a permanent crew for solo play is a beautiful move.

I hope they drop orbiters and integrate all that stuff in to RJ.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Can you imagine fighting boarding parties with all the silly decorations everywhere?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This sounds like a cool update, unifying Railjack with core WF systems is a great idea. Hate how each new major content addition is an island with its own materials and currencies, so maybe this is a step back from that old and tiresome approach. In fairness, Deimos is nowhere near as bad as the other two open worlds were - it's pretty drat generous with drops.

Orphix is built into railjack permanently, which is cool. Energizes for all! I could have probably have saved some plat instead of buying Energize for ~650p during the last event.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Can't wait to see them integrate the much-beloved Lunaro into regular missions as well, since it is every bit as fun and engaging as listening to Cephalon Cy growl at you because a Grineer set your floor on fire.

gently caress Railjack.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

smallmouth posted:

Can you imagine fighting boarding parties with all the silly decorations everywhere?

A hardened team of Grineer marines heft their weapons as their boarding pod slams into the Railjack, ready to take the fight to the Tenno.

Instead, as the pod opens they are met with an impenetrable wall of Floofs that blocks off the entire passage and renders it completely unusable.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I really like the idea of dorsal and ventral 360 turrets, I just hope they make all non-tether weapons worth using.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Can't wait to see them integrate the much-beloved Lunaro into regular missions as well, since it is every bit as fun and engaging as listening to Cephalon Cy growl at you because a Grineer set your floor on fire.

gently caress Railjack.

I started enjoying Warframe a lot more once I turned the dialog volume to zero. The constant barrage of Azmodan style skype calls you receive in this game is obnoxious.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Oh goddamn, i gotta sell my extra arcane energize now drat...

Also, umbra forma by resign again

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

For those reward tiers, I'm curious as to what they mean by "Completed wreckage". I know I've scrapped a LOT of wreckage into dirac. Do I have to actually make items and then scrap them?

Though since Dirac is getting converted 1:1 to endo, I wonder if it's a faster endo farm than Arby's or other sources at this point up until release of Railjack 2.0 lol

I assume it means repairing wreckage into functional gear. Can't imagine any sicko that would've done 30+, I think I've done like 6, MAYBE 10 and I'm comparatively a jackin fan

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress Railjack.

I know you're being sarcastic but if they did some weird rear end thing where you lunaro sling some objective amongst your teammates to transport it through a level uuuhhhhhh that could be pretty cool

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
A mission where you have to toss void balls between Necramechs! They have the big catcher claw after all. And are slow enough that tossing it forwards might be worth it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tylana posted:

A mission where you have to toss void balls between Necramechs! They have the big catcher claw after all. And are slow enough that tossing it forwards might be worth it.

DE will someday make Necramech baseball a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Diephoon posted:

I started enjoying Warframe a lot more once I turned the dialog volume to zero. The constant barrage of Azmodan style skype calls you receive in this game is obnoxious.

I generally don't mind the talking heads save for Lotus and Ordis (I GET IT, MY WARFRAME "SUITS" ME AND BACKGROUND RADIATION IS BALL-PINCHINGLY HILARIOUS, GET SOME NEW MATERIAL YOU BIPOLAR FUCKSTICK), but Railjack missions are all the same and holy gently caress I hate having to put out fires and build resources and other assorted annoying-rear end busywork, and Railjack turrets are slow and fiddly to aim with to the point to where Amesha and Mausolon is the better option.

I wouldn't mind Necramechs being their own game mode if they'd just nerf the requirements to get them. I was this close to trading handbeezies behind Dairy Queen to get the Necrathene I needed.