Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I just spent 2 umbral formas and too many normal formas to juice the pixie queen out. All I need now is Energy Conversion to "complete" her.

Why did I do it?

Because I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

I just spent 2 umbral formas and too many normal formas to juice the pixie queen out. All I need now is Energy Conversion to "complete" her.

Why did I do it?

Because I don't know.

To be really prepared when the pimple popper event comes back?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Mesadoram posted:

Why did I do it?

Because I don't know.
Same I used the boosters to max her and gara.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems like they should just give a blanket buff to every single-target gun. The main reason I use melee and AoE guns is that they rarely miss. What's the incentive for taking the time to aim and risk missing?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Seems like they should just give a blanket buff to every single-target gun. The main reason I use melee and AoE guns is that they rarely miss. What's the incentive for taking the time to aim and risk missing?

The melee kill arcane works on aoe guns.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They can do whatever with aoe guns as far as I'm concerned, but I'd like more of an incentive to use things like magnums and hunting rifles. They just don't do enough damage to be worth it when you could blow up the whole room instead. Seems like an easy fix! But they said they like gun stats where they are. I don't get it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

To be really prepared when the pimple popper event comes back?

:hmmyes:

I hate how her sword and guns are their own things. But eh, what's done is done.

temple posted:

Same I used the boosters to max her and gara.

Affinity weekends are the best.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main problem with the guns in the game is after a very short time the numbers stop mattering or being sane enough to realistically follow vs the level scaling.

Every optimally modded gun will 1 shot every enemy, until the levels scale enough to where it doesn't at which point you are ranking guns based on how many different enemies they can 1 shot at a time and at what rough level estimate they go from 1 shots to 2+ shots or pulses of damage ticks and if a flamethrower type weapon needs 5 damage ticks to kill a room of enemies but the best sniper rifle needs 1 shot to kill 1 enemy at a time and the best magnum revolver needs 5 shots to kill 1 enemy at a time, why would you ever use the revolver?

And every full auto assault rifle type gun can be ranked based on how long it takes until the time to kill takes a noticeable dip.

Until they add more tougher enemy variety with varied weak point placement that will let precision guns shine instead of 5,000 cannon fodder enemies as fast as the engine can spawn them this will always be the case of AoE weapons being the superior choice.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Given the enemy ai and unit type designs aoe guns that let you cull an entire hallway in as few clicks as possible will pretty much always be superior.

It sure would be nice to have more enemy designs and even more units capable of spawning in missions.

I still use single shot guns every now and again because I find aiming for headshots and weak points to be fun, but this isn't optimal and there's both frequent stutter in enemy animations when I'm not the host and even when I am there's a lot of kind of janky transition animations when a unit can't decide if it wants to take cover or do a 720 when standing up to run only to immediately decide to take the same cover position again immediately.

I feel like the next redesign should be an enemy ai and animation redesign but I think they've recently hinted at this being too much spaghetti code to touch without breaking everything.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Groshlak posted:

I often have the impression that they throw poo poo on the wall and check what sticks.

Really wish they'd make a test server for this

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Mailer posted:

I enjoy and appreciate these changes in Warframe, a game not designed or balanced around Steel Path where Steel Path is not part of the nebulous endgame. Remember that as you play Steel Path to get Steel Path mods that allegedly compensate for a global nerf.

In a live service game, oftentimes the way players engage with content doesn't exactly mesh with how the developers intended to treat that content.

To be fair, DE has pushed people to do more Steel Path with the weekly Nightwave missions and Steel Essence providing a source for Umbral Forma, and in many ways Steel Path becoming "endgame" was likely because it's an improvement over the prior "endgame" of 10 hour survivals or whatever -

But I think this is at least in part DE reacting to how players have treated and received Steel Path.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Man, I slept on Explosive Legerdomain for way too long. And on Sleight of Hand in general, I suppose.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

I just spent 2 umbral formas and too many normal formas to juice the pixie queen out. All I need now is Energy Conversion subsumed Fire Walker to "complete" her.

It's so much fun!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

TheParadigm posted:

Really wish they'd make a test server for this
They do have a test server, they just don't use it much and sometimes ignore feedback from it.

(so, you know, how most games with test realms behave)

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Kitty Fantastico posted:

It's so much fun!

Also a fun recommend for Titania: Mag's Pull.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I seem to play this game in bursts of a few months every half year or so. I finally got around to doing Heart of Deimos and unlocking Steel Path, and now that I see the teasers for the crazy upcoming gun mods I think I'll just wait a few more months for them. Never was a fan of melee in this game, and while I'm confident I could clear Steel Path easily enough with some of my 8 forma riven'ed masterpieces, I bet it will be more fun if I wait for those guns to do several times more damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm going to start playing again after a very long break (not sure exactly how long, but I think the beginning of 2020/end of 2019).

I've been playing the Mass Effect LE and realized that Warframe is actually kind of similar in gameplay style (to ME3 anyways), being in 3rd person with a focus on PvE and "powers" + large gun/weapon variety (and the powers often have a similar sort of feel to them).

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Malloc Voidstar posted:

They do have a test server, they just don't use it much and sometimes ignore feedback from it.

(so, you know, how most games with test realms behave)
My read on that is that players think it's a testcluster for "hey this gun is weak, could you amp up the 4d3d3d3? Sweet, now this gun is fun!"

but really for DE it's a tool to test if a new build or system crashes to desktop on 80% of gpus or softlocks permanently somewhere if theres 1000+ hammering the server backend, so they can release it without having to worry about a nightmare week of having to fix those major tech issues.

So yeah i dont think it's for what the players want it to be, but even then DE should probably use it a lot more.

Ytlaya posted:

I've been playing the Mass Effect LE and realized that Warframe is actually kind of similar in gameplay style
That's the best trick Warframe pulls on you before it turns the dial to 11

thousand.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 21, 2021

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The whole "MOAR MODZ" thing is... It doesn't really do much but create more problems. Like, you now have more "mandatory" mods to fit, meaning that you ultimately end up with even less modding flexibility than you had previously (which wasn't much to begin with).

And the payoff for that is your gun is usable in SP, but likely still not as good as melee? Oh, and you have to farm SP in the first place to get the mods? AND you need to dump 5 or more forma into it? What?

I know "DE doesn't play the game" is beating a dead horse but HOLY poo poo do they not play the loving game? They're exacerbating problems, not alleviating them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

thousand.

Oh, Warframe is definitely 100x faster and more "dynamic" than ME3 gameplay, but it's the only major game I can think of with an even vaguely similar sort of gameplay.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

MJ12 posted:

But I think this is at least in part DE reacting to how players have treated and received Steel Path.

This is DE reacting to a video. To be more accurate it's probably DE reacting to players who post on the forums after watching said video. I expect nothing further to make it an actual fun endgame instead of an optional challenge mode and them to fall back on "we said it's not the endgame!" any time it comes up. They do many things well but their focus on chasing the balance dragon continues to be the low point of their patches.

Chocobo posted:

while I'm confident I could clear Steel Path easily enough with some of my 8 forma riven'ed masterpieces, I bet it will be more fun if I wait for those guns to do several times more damage.

I don't have 8 forma masterpieces, with or without a riven, but like all weapon nerfs this is largely negated by warframe powers wrecking the place.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

My read on that is that players think it's a testcluster for "hey this gun is weak, could you amp up the 4d3d3d3? Sweet, now this gun is fun!"

but really for DE it's a tool to test if a new build or system crashes to desktop on 80% of gpus or softlocks permanently somewhere if theres 1000+ hammering the server backend, so they can release it without having to worry about a nightmare week of having to fix those major tech issues.

So yeah i dont think it's for what the players want it to be, but even then DE should probably use it a lot more.

thousand.

They do occasionally take feedback - for example, the new Deimos arcanes for kitguns and warframes were initially much, much worse, which is really saying something considering how bad they still are :v:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Mods suck, but the helminth invigoration looks cool. At least we'll have some inspiration for using different frames now. Or it'll just be a gigantic forma sink and waste

temple
Jul 29, 2006

SP is DE's locked liquor cabinet to keep treats away from the kids but occasionally open for the big boys. These mods and arcanes aren't needed to clear SP. They didn't add them to help with SP. The melee vs ranged debate has been around for a while. They figured it was as good a time as ever to push through since the community united around the issue. Its clear from the last dev stream that ranged got bumped up the queue after railjack. Remember that content? They added the new mods to maintain engagement post Covid slump in content. I'd predicted Sisters of Parvos wouldn't come out until TennoCon and guess what's less than a month away. It would've made more sense for these mods to be in railjack but Corpus liches occupy that space now, so they needed somewhere not buggy and annoying to put something while they scramble to complete the New War. I'll be really pissed if TennoCon doesn't have completely new stuff after the sisters hype carried them for most of the year. Literally, everything is being release in the next kitchen sink of a patch.

And I've never seen a community down about more power creep. I don't get the problem.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Well, there's a very simple way to make ranged and melee equal... Just remove Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds, And Condition Overload. It's just those 3 mods and how they add to each other makes melee broken. And if you remove them, melee is still better than guns just from having been able to quickswap to them + no reloads or accuracy problems. Hell, you'll likely have to remove all the heavy attack mods straight after becuse melee will more broken than guns still.

TL DR: combo counter is dumb bullshit and everything that touches it should be removed

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
why are these rear end in a top hat jerkfaces doubling the glaive heavy throw time without asking me first how I felt about it

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My problem with the new mods isn't even power creep, it's the continued use of band-aid mods to "fix" a problem that should be fixed properly. See also: augments like the one for Protea's dispensary that they recently introduced.

DE has made a habit of throwing out a mod to "fix" an obvious problem in order to go right back to ignoring it, and the galvanized mods seem like more of that. The fundamental problem that they're trying to fix is that weapon scaling is messed up at the high end, and rather than do something to address that properly they're throwing more mods that will be mandatory into the mix to "fix" it.

The modding system is already rife with mandatory mods that do nothing but make your guns loving work right, it doesn't need MORE of that, it needs LESS. They have all these other mods that might be interesting... assuming we had any space to use them after slotting the mandatory stuff.

But instead we get MOAR MODZ!

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Despite liking the idea of mods that encourage using your entire load out instead of hyper focusing on melee or some gimmick I also totally agree that an accompanying rebalance of guns and/or other already mandatory mods would be more welcome. That sounds like more work so maybe that will still be something that comes in the future but this recent round of updates does sound like they're trying to avoid that for now.

More than the mods I like the helminth additions a lot, gives me a reason to use that system after feeding almost every frame in to it and

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

ssmagus posted:

Well, there's a very simple way to make ranged and melee equal... Just remove Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds, And Condition Overload. It's just those 3 mods and how they add to each other makes melee broken. And if you remove them, melee is still better than guns just from having been able to quickswap to them + no reloads or accuracy problems. Hell, you'll likely have to remove all the heavy attack mods straight after becuse melee will more broken than guns still.

TL DR: combo counter is dumb bullshit and everything that touches it should be removed

Problem is, the popularity of high power melee weapons is because that kind of power is simply needed in high end content like long disruption runs, steel path, etc, without those mods it'd be extremely difficult to deal with bullshit enemies such as the disruption targets.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I think most of the problem is too many people screaming "It's not hard enough" at every game until the devs break down and just make the game unfun. Like Deimos is annoying to me, more then fun. There are a bunch of enemies that can nearly one shot most frames and other dudes that are damage sponges, especially if I'm not bringing my good weapons or frames. SP is just that but multiplied.

I kinda feel like the perfect difficulty is the first two levels of Sortie, with the 3rd stage being a decent challenge. At least with no perfectly optimized gear. But I think it's folly to balance games on perfectly optimized gear.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Anora posted:

I think most of the problem is too many people screaming "It's not hard enough" at every game until the devs break down and just make the game unfun. Like Deimos is annoying to me, more then fun. There are a bunch of enemies that can nearly one shot most frames and other dudes that are damage sponges, especially if I'm not bringing my good weapons or frames. SP is just that but multiplied.

I kinda feel like the perfect difficulty is the first two levels of Sortie, with the 3rd stage being a decent challenge. At least with no perfectly optimized gear. But I think it's folly to balance games on perfectly optimized gear.

I feel the same way, running around Deimos bounties then "oh 'something' killed me but I don't know specifically what or how".

The players who play game modes up to level 9999 enemies are weird people. Yes it's possible to do that in the game but I'll never understand why you would? DE should say "the game isn't made with you in mind, but you're welcome to do it if you like". Unless they've said that already.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
DE have shown frequently that they consider marathon runs beyond an hour unhealthy and don't give any incentives for them, and actively go after strats that involve afk cheese for it.

But then they also gently caress up every now and then and put SE drops into eximus enemies that ramp up spawning until 60+ minutes, so they're sometimes too incompetent to make good on their policy. Thank god that shits gone.

TheMostFrench posted:

I feel the same way, running around Deimos bounties then "oh 'something' killed me but I don't know specifically what or how".
Pretty sure 95% of that was the dicktower underground homing attacks that were bugged and caused slash procs that were 20x too strong or something. They toned them down a bit, but it's probably still best to voidduck on reaction if you see one of them proc you into your shieldgate.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 22, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I hate when I have to voidduck because my shieldgate procced

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Anora posted:

I think most of the problem is too many people screaming "It's not hard enough" at every game until the devs break down and just make the game unfun.

"Respect my lack of opportunity cost!" is basically the anthem of the internet, so yeah it's gonna be like that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Gun Re-Rebalance via reddit

DERebecca posted:

Tenno!

Since The Arsenal Divide Workshop launched on Friday, we’ve been busy developing, testing, and reading responses. We have some preliminary changes to share with everyone! We’re posting in a separate thread to highlight the changes, and will do all necessary cross posting in the originals to keep them up to date. This means that June 22 onward has the latest information on The Arsenal Divide! In the days that passed, we’ve addressed 3 areas (as well as a 4th bonus one)! Each one is covered in detail below:

1) Arcanes:
Primary and Secondary Dexterity Arcanes:
- Added +60% Holster Speed
Why: We are including a Holster Speed benefit within the Arcane itself to ensure the whole ‘Dexterity’ aspect of it is clear with the whole Arsenal being easier to use!

Primary and Secondary Merciless Arcanes:
- Reduced MERCILESS Arcanes Duration from 6 to 4 secs
Why: We’re simply continuing to balance these (even after posting)! In practice, we felt lowering it was a better start given the pace of true Merciless enemy killing!
P.S the body of the original Dev Workshop missed this, but it was present in the video!

Dexterity Arcanes: +7.5s Combo Duration

2) Galvanized Mod Properties:
Primary
- Galvanized Scope - Mod Capacity reduced from 14 to 12
- Galvanized Aptitude - Mod Capacity reduced from 14 to 12
- Galvanized Chamber - Stack count increased from 4 to 5. Mod Capacity increased from 14 to 16

Shotgun
- Galvanized Acceleration - Mod Capacity reduced from 14 to 12
- Galvanized Savvy - Mod Capacity reduced from 14 to 12
Galvanized Hell - Base Multishot increased from 80% to 110%. Mod Capacity increased from 14 to 16

Secondary
- Galvanized Crosshairs - Mod Capacity reduced from 14 to 12
- Galvanized Shot - Mod Capacity reduced from 14 to 12
- Galvanized Diffusion - Base multishot increased from 80% to 110%. Mod Capacity increased from 12 to 14
Why: We reviewed feedback about build and Mod options when it comes to Mod Capacity, and felt it was a good idea to change Mod Ranks. Overall we’ve lowered the required Mod Capacity as a whole per category by 2.

We also changed the Galvanized Chamber so that it is at parity with the Shotgun / Pistol Mods by virtue of maxing the stacks.

3) Galvanized Mod Acquisition:
***Moved all Galvanized Mods to Arbitrations from Steel Path.***
Why: This change is rooted in the depth of the new items we’re putting in Steel Path with this Update, and the hope some players had about being able to earn the Galvanized Mods before they even arrived on the Steel Path. Since Arbitrations also require a completed Star Chart, but are a step up in difficulty from that base Star Chart, we thought (and so did many of you) that they’d be a good stepping stone for earning some of the new Upgrades!

Bonus: Beam Weapon Mods!
4) General Beam Weapon Mod Change:
Ruinous Extension and Sinister Reach are now slottable in the Exilus slot and their text changed from "+X Range" to "+X Beam Length"
Why: While we are in the revision process for all things Mods, some well reasoned suggestions made it aboard!

temple fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 23, 2021

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I would be more onboard with these weapon mod changes if it went from per kill to per crit or something.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Dang, I wish they had just put them in SP *and* Arbitrations. Weird as it may sound, but Arbies always feel a lot more 'serious players only' to me than SP.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tylana posted:

Dang, I wish they had just put them in SP *and* Arbitrations. Weird as it may sound, but Arbies always feel a lot more 'serious players only' to me than SP.

:same:

I always feel arbies need a full group, whereas SP I can gently caress around solo in, so there's less :effort: required in my mind.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tylana posted:

Either way you're just talking about endless mode grinding but at least with SP you get to pick when and where. Knowing DE they'll be stuck randomly on the rotation tables so you'll need to spend a dumb amount of time in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Since they mentioned that Tenshin would sell the mods when they were supposed to be in SP, I assumed that moving them to arbies would simply mean that they move to the arbies vendor.