Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Piell posted:

It's pubbies, they're terrible, but also because many of them are slow as gently caress so the player who goes first can easily take out most of the enemies before the rest of the players even see them.

Based oy experience a lot of them don't play the tutorial that tells you the basic mechanics.

Then they just get carried and you find yourself trying to do a defense on Sedna or something with somebody who still has the MK-1 Braton, Lato, and Skana. :negative:

E: once I was in a survival game with three. They all promptly burned their revives and kept yelling at me to extract even though I was fine because I don't suck at this game.

They kept not shutting up so I disconnected :v:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Good thing the current event gives an affinity booster, I guess?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I play with some off-SA friends and two or three of us can generally buddy together to breeze through the invasions, thankfully. Got both of last night's catalysts on Phobos, poo poo yes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Captaindirtnap posted:

:stare: Well, now I know what I'm farming in the near future. I'm not even sure if Grineer Defense has a chance to award this mod anymore.

I am gonna kill a bunch this weekend while using my free affinity booster to forma some things conveniently.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

If you're willing to not contribute at all, something like ODD is great for leveling an entire loadout at a time. Someone with a Penta and/or Nova can all but solo ODD until level 25+, and most groups that I find stop around there. Since you aren't getting any kills, each item gets 25% experience.

It actually really annoys me that the best way to level weapons a lot of the time is to let other people kill things. Why plink away at things with my rank zero whatever when I can let someone else mow things down with their Soma/Penta/etc. and end up with way higher experience gains overall?

As far as ODDs go, a Vauban can in fact solo the entire thing basically forever. Just climb up on one of the four pillars and toss a Vortex down near by the cryopod and lob a Penta or something into the thing. Jump down between waves to collect things. Or have Carrier, I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

hlwss posted:

You can send invites, but that is the only way to get in before and after starting the mission.

I'm fairly sure we have invited people to Orokin Void survival/defense missions in the past, but this was before we triggered the alarm/walked into the circle.

Also my memory may be false.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah that's another thing I don't get. You're supposed to be on ships in most of the missions right? How are there a bunch of rock caves and open air areas on these ships?

I guess you can kinda rationalize the life support getting turned off by there being a tiny shielded atmosphere around the open areas or something, but yeah.

It irrationally bothers me that Phobos looks like Mars should with the red and the open and everything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah, but how do they disable the life support system to "choke you out"? Their AI is pretty bad in comparison to the other enemies, so I doubt they're supposed to be smart enough to access a computer system.

Still functional automatic systems? Seems reasonable enough to me anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I had a near perfect run for Nova, took like 4 I think.

I want a miter but I keep not getting the last piece and killing lech kril is so god drat tedious :effort:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ElegantFugue posted:

So much this. Heavy Gunners and Bombards aren't exactly a fun time, either, whereas Corpus have, what? Leech Ospreys and I guess Fusion Moas in large swarms, as far as super-annoying foes go?

Well, dangerous foes yes.

If a bunch of Anti Moas are around, have fun getting juggled endlessly :shepicide:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but if you are using a Held-type trigger weapon (such as Synapse) and have a smooth mouse wheel (no ticks, just a loose wheel) you can bind wheel up/down as another fire key then flick the wheel and just blast everything to gently caress faster than holding it.

Note that this will also blast your ammo reserve to gently caress but :v:

e: it is only fair to point out that it will blast your eardrums as well, the noise (at least with the Synapse) is just god-awful

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 1, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

animaCartographer posted:

Just hopped on today and Eris is now 100% grineer. :smithicide:

Is it just me, or does it seem like nobody wants anything but grineer missions? Because honestly, I could live never having to play another grineer mission again.

DE will probably do a major event to reset the absolute Grineer map domination.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

PUBBIES

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I hate you, I have done so many Harvester attempts and have spawned him once and only by some weird miracle did we actually get anything, because I was lagging like a motherfucker and he rightfully should killed me at any point during the whole thing.

The game cockteased the hell out of me on the Harvester attempts today by spawning the Stalker instead and then having him not drop any blueprints at all. I need Despair to complete my collection you jerk :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Just a warning, don't expect the torid to actually be fun or pretty much anything other than a migraine.

My friend has managed to get hilarious amounts of use out of his Torid :confused:

Also the screenshot I posted where the guy got 11 kills and I had nearly 1100 was because he was actually a Loki who made all the clumps of Corrupted Heavy Gunners just try to hit us with sticks instead of shooting us. My hilariously inflated kill number was because Mag's Shield Polarize absolutely wrecks the Orokin Drones :v:

(Kill numbers can be very misleading is what I'm saying)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I was lucky enough to pull out 7 neural sensors from a 30 minute Elara run. Also a Charged Chamber, I guess.

Then the "50+ wave ODD" turned into two people bailing at wave 20. Then the Stalker spawned on the other person and instantly killed them, but ate a death from my Penta before despawning and he dropped... Dread.

However I got the Harvester today and it dropped both of the parts I needed for Detron so that's cooking.

Now I just need to not get in a car wreck on the way to work tomorrow. gently caress YOU SNOW AND BEING ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Fistfirst from orbit seems like something the Grineer would do. In fact, they treat their troops so expendably that I'd expect half of their drop gear to fail spectacularly.

It's not much of a stretch from putting them into torpedoes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

There's a LOT of items in this game that are just downright terrible in comparison. Like the Spectra, which requires clan research and then a forma to craft, and runs out of ammo in about 10 seconds, while doing garbage damage and requires you to point it at your enemy the entire time without wavering. I tried a ton of other weapons before I picked up a Penta, and jesus H the game is trivialized now. It has 540 loving grenades and can take out hordes of enemies in one shot.

Have to wonder if their supposed self-congratulatory lack of a design document is what leads to these gross and obvious imbalances.

It's absolutely retarded that the penta uses rifle ammo. Like at least make it use sniper ammo or something.

Currently the only thing resembling balance on it is how easy it makes one shotting yourself.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 6, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also, all bows have some innate punch through so you don't need to add any just to easily kill Shield Lancers.

e:

Doji Sekushi posted:

How to build Vauban:

Energy Siphon
Fleeting expertise
Streamline
Continuity
Narrow minded
Constitution
Bastille
Vortex
Flow

That leaves space for 2 mods like redirection or sprint stuff.

Esprit helmet is nice but not totally necessary. (You'll be at 465 energy with it)

Since you're locking down every mob ever, taking damage shouldn't be an issue at all. I can solo defenses and survivals for goddamn ever.

I've forma'd my Vauban 4 times so the levels of my mods are higher, but these mods are what you want.

I know Tesla and Bounce are fun, but they're both ultimately useless.

You want your Bastille small and long-lasting. If two Bastille touch they count as one, which is bad since Bastille only affects 12 guys. So you want to be able to have separate Bastille up.

Your bread and butter will be vortex. You will cast millions of vortices because they are super cheap. Also, it's not affected by range mods, so it works nicely with Narrow Minded.

Vauban is the best frame ever.

Also, Vauban's Bastille rewards area knowledge like a motherfucker. Once you get the hang of spotting the bottlenecks, you can shut down an entire mob of enemies with just one Bastille because the ones suspended in midair will physically block the ones behind.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm still not a fan of the new interface. It's growing on me (or I'm just adjusting to looking at new things) but jesus christ do they need to change the item level up notification. I love that it's visible and everything but does it have to be basically the same as the mission complete/mission failed notification? Freaks me out every time.

Also I swear I get an additional 10-15 fps constantly since update 12 which is definitely nice.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

AndroidHub posted:

I'm really hoping the "generic abilities" will revitalize some of the less powerful/interesting frames when they are added. I do kind of understand why DE is seemingly so against completely overhauling frames' abilities, different people have different ideas of what abilities are good. If they listened completely to people who call frames like Loki, or Nekros "worthless" I would be a very unhappy camper. Though what it could allow is for some of the somewhat lesser abilities that only the elite few seem to enjoy to be turned into general use abilities, while the frames they came from could get new unique abilities, while still having the option to slot things like, for instance, super jump. And frankly as it stands, most frames have at least one ability that the majority of players consider not worth slotting, whether or not it truly is a worthless skill (like terrify or silence) is up for debate on most of them.

A lot of people call frames worthless because they don't have "screen-wide kill everything" abilities. These people are morons.

I have played this game for a hundred odd hours since update 11 and from what I can tell there is not a single actually worthless frame, they are all good and you can in fact use whatever frame you feel like and have fun with it.

I mean Nekros is pretty underwhelming and his 4 gives a lot of dudes with bad pathing at the expense of quite possibly dying because casting it takes forever. Then again he is also the cheat codes for Survival missions sooooo :v:

e: My problems with his 4 basically just require some tweaks though so there's that.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 10, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Transmutation: spending 4 reflex guards and 36k credits amd getting... reflex guard. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

If you're going to use transmutation, the key is to use mods of all the same rarity but make sure they are all different mods.

Yeah I know. I just think that that happening is hilarious. :mmmhmm:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bunleigh posted:

I made an Ignis and thought it felt worthless, but then I ranked it up enough to fit a serration and some elemental damage into it and hooooly poo poo it is a doomhose. Being able to spray everything in front of you at once and pretty much ignore cover is the best. I also love it for killing those goddamn Corpus flyers which are normally a real pain in the rear end to hit on the ps4 with a controller.

Corpus Drones are the best thing about Mag's 1 :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Vectis: for those who really like to reload.

See also: (Wraith) Twin Vipers.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cathair posted:

It will not, they fixed that.

Don't build Oberon as a tank, he's no better suited to it than any other frame. He's a damage frame with decent speed and stats, with abilities that help more to keep himself alive than the team. His best source of team support comes from just using his ult normally- at max rank it has a high chance to drop health orbs from enemies it kills. I think he's a fun frame, one of the best mid-tier frames.

Yeah he is a fun frame and he's pretty drat solid if you're facing down grineer. Dropping his 4 makes plenty of health orbs for your team and you can defend targets against melee attackers by slapping his 2 down.

His 1 is kinda crappy on the surface but can murder if you use it in a tight corridor filled with enemies.

e: He was my first non-excalibur frame so I may be biased :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well that's weird. Try filing a ticket to see what you supposedly did? :iiam:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I maxed my Serration mod with my own credits and cores :suicide:

(It would have stayed rank 9/10 forever if it weren't for that fancy new autofuse button)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Grammar Aryan posted:

So I've been running Corpus Survival missions a bunch because Oxium with my Defile All Day Nekros, and I just noticed that Defile works on enemies that have been blown up via MPrime. When did that happen? I thought the two were pretty much incompatible.

Quite a while ago, as far as I know. MPrime (and Vortex) doesn't actually destroy the corpses for a few seconds window so if a Nekros is pretty quick he can Defile before this happens. This was fixed because otherwise other frames would gently caress up his abilities.

Also go play Kappa, Sedna if you want Oxium :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it can't be a real thing. Given ammo mutation being a thing it would result in constantly firing somas and other such craziness.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I'm taking my freshly baked Rhino out for a spin.

It's so slow :(

My Frost Prime :qq:

Actually it feels faster because I just upgraded the CPU/mobo/RAM and it turns out I was CPU bottlenecked. This game is now a solid 75fps which is evidently what my monitor wants to refresh at.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Croccers posted:

My mates give me crap for not running an Energy aura and instead running a nearly Maxed Rifle Amp with a mid-level Serration. gently caress them, as long as I have the energy to pop Iron Skin I wanna shoot thangs.

I will only give you poo poo for not maxing the aura. An unmaxed aura, a shameful aura.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Jumpoff posted:

Yes, since you'll be hitting multiple targets instead of just one, or at worst, be able to shoot mans from behind cover.

Killing waves of enemies through a closed door never gets old :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

sleeptalker posted:

It might be fun with Whirlwind but I still haven't found that mod.

It's pretty fun but honestly I'm not using it. It would be somewhat better to use Quick Return with Whirlwind (and Power Throw) so that you toss the thing out, it goes through a bunch of dudes, and comes right back to you.

I actually don't have either Quick Return or Rebound on my Glaive Prime because I was down to the last of the slots after I put all the charge damage and charge speed mods on and so I chose Fury because I demand maximum coptering ability from my melee :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

raverrn posted:

Ogris does like %20 more damage at the expense of 1000% more killing yourself.

Which is why I always use it.

I dunno, I always like that "hey guys I found the grenade I lost :zombie: " Penta experience.

e:

black.lion posted:

So I just started with this game and I'm not sure what to save up for/upgrade/pay attention to starting out. Ideally I'd like to play a melee build, so how do I get started? I have Excalibur as my first frame.

Unfortunately melee is not great right now, there is a lot of talk of a Melee 2.0 system to come very soon that should change this but yeah, for now there isn't much you can do.

Aaaallll of your starter weapons are rear end though. Typically people will tell you to swap out the MK-1 Braton the game starts you with for the regular Braton since it's just credits and is honestly a huge upgrade.

Since you're Excalibur what I can tell you is max Radial Blind. Like, immediately. It's an absurdly good skill!

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 16, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Phage is my current weapon because it lets me be a space ninja wizard ghostbuster.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

sushibandit posted:

More than a maxed out Synapse? Sure it'd have way more range, but I thought Synapse had the highest possible DPS of any primary now.

If you bind weapon fire to a smooth scroll wheel and just flick it then you can burn through your ammo absurdly quickly on any held-type trigger :ssh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah, there is an Akmagnus and I potato'd my Magnus before I realized! :argh:

Imagine being one of the many many people who potatoed a Magnus before there was an Akmagnus :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Absolutely no other way to get slots. That said you can just sell a couple half decent mods and get the plat for slots easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

sushibandit posted:

Now I regret just burning 950k credits and all my rare 5 cores to get serration up to 9 last night.

Oh well, bumped steel up to 6 for those free platcores.

Yeah I bumped one up to 6 just to see what happens. Worst case scenario I wasted... not that many credits and cores.