Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So, what is Warframe?

Warframe is most importantly a game crippled by the developer's inability to ever think about or test whatever they're adding to the game. As a result the game keeps getting balance patches that break everything, and it has a fuckton of bugs and crashes. Half of the Warframe abilities are useless poo poo, the Market is mostly full of poo poo you never want to buy and the game eventually devolves into instakills and bullet sponges.

There's two core elements to the gameplay. There's the shooting, running and looting part - where the shooting works fine, the running doesn't work in any intuitive or reliable way and the looting is grindy as gently caress. Where the shooting is fun, it tends to get repetitive and to get the best poo poo you sometimes have to do the same 5-minute mission a hundred times. Not even slightly exaggerating. Also, balance is a faint dream but it doesn't matter because you can do anything in the game with just about any half-assed character, as long as you grind enough.

Now, if you like watching numbers go up, this game is like loving crack. And you can optimize the poo poo out of things, and it doesn't matter because it just means you play the same level for longer without any rewards over doing half as long twice.

So, try it. It's free, and there's no paywall until you are really far into the game. Things you can expect: Spergs yelling at you for not knowing what everything does before ever playing a level, spergs yelling at you for making the mobs deviate from a straight death line by moving around and spergs micromanaging your every move to optimize the loot and the experience points. The shooting mans part is fun, though, as long as someone isn't exploding all of them into a pink haze before you even notice them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That part wasn't entirely serious, it's just me poking fun at my own bad habits.

Though, that does bring to mind one part that I didn't mention: The fact that DE never tells you what to expect or how things work, so you basically need someone to explain half the poo poo in the game and read the wiki for hours.

What you can actually expect: Shooting dudes, lots and lots of bugs, balance issues, crashing and all the grinding you can handle.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

dark_3y3 posted:

Been playing for a while now on the ps4 and I can't find the bonus base damage to rifles mod for the life of me. I have pistols, mêlée, and shotgun but not one drat rifle. I got at least 2 to 3 element mods for each weapon so I'm good so far but it's still annoying as hell.

Just stepped into my rhino a couple of days ago and I feel invincible in it. I'm only level 20 with it but it don't matter, rhino gives no fucks about anything. I imagine this is what it would feel like to be the Juggernaut. Question I have is if the mood that increases mod duration works with iron skin

Iron Skin doesn't care about duration at all, so if you just want to use Stomp and Iron Skin there's no downsides to just sticking a maximum Fleeting Expertise on Rhino, making it really cheap to infinitely recast Iron Skin.

Now, you can make Iron Skin last longer by increasing power strength. So Blind Rage / Focus.

Eventually, you might want to have Rank 2 Blind Rage, maxed Fleeting Expertise, maxed Focus and maxed Streamline, so you can get +57% power strength and +75% power efficiency, seeing power efficiency (how much it costs) doesn't go above 75%. Blind Rage and Fleeting Expertise are corrupted mods, though, so they can be tricky to get.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tortolia posted:

Christ, these last ten mastery ranks on the MK-1 Braton are going to be murder.

At least I unlocked Europa so I can hopefully get a control module drop soon and work on building Trinity.

You don't want to get control modules through Europa - doubly so on the PC.

You want to get a tower key (15min in a survival is a guaranteed one) and then go play a Tower 1 or Tower 2 mission with goons.

Because Europa is actually way harder and way more annoying than Tower 1 missions, while being a worse source of control modules.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doji Sekushi posted:

Are we the problem with today's youth?

Did you teabag him?

If not, that sounds about right. If you're going to rush and abandon your team, you shouldn't expect any help.

Also, dying before the exit isn't a huge deal in Warframe, you just miss out on the mission reward credits or use a revive.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's Grineer Commander. He can Switch Teleport with any player anywhere on the map.

His AI is just somewhat broken, so it's nowhere near obvious what's happening, and he doesn't appear in low-level Grineer maps.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you are buying platinum, the process is much easier if Warframe is running fullscreen over Warframe running in windowed mode.

Try to guess why without your head exploding.

The web browser Warframe uses depends on if it's running windowed or fullscreen.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kneejerk posted:

Vauban Chassis on alert for the next 40min.

Remember to mention the system when pointing out alerts.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Gonna give this a shot and heard buying a pack will make starting out more fun since they are 50% off on steam right now. Should I just go initiate or is starter worth it?

I'd wait to see if they're on sale tomorrow. Warframe is featured on the Snowglobes and hasn't been on a daily sale yet.

EDIT: Also, you can well play without paying anything, so you can start playing now and then buy a pack if you feel like it.

EDIT 2: I'd say that without cosmetics, the Initiate Pack can last you through the entire game. Depends on how much you want to use the "skip bullshit" button (said bullshit is mostly waiting for repeating limited time events) and how much you like cosmetics.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 2, 2014

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gentleman Baller posted:

Waiting for tomorrow is pretty risky, the Warframe deals, much like most of Steam's deals, end at the start of tomorrow and not the end.

... huh, you're right.

That's weird, the banner says Jan 3, but the deals themselves clearly say they end in 15 hours.

I have to admit I don't know what the case here is. Valve's usually done a repeat day, too.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gentleman Baller posted:

Yeah, I don't think anybody really knows what's going on. There might be another day of sales, it might just be everything in the repeat day, but really nobody knows so if anyone is on the edge, just play Warframe now and try to make the decision before it clocks over.

I feel like an rear end in a top hat about accidentally giving bad information.

But, motivated by that, I went through the Steam deals and compared them with the in-game store.

I'd definitely get just the Initiate pack if you're starting out. Not even necessarily that. The in-game 50% off login reward deals offer more platinum for your dollar, and the rest is mostly things goons can help you get fast and easily. The login reward comes up randomly though, but it's not rare. I'd agree with first trying the game out and then choosing if you want to spend money.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

*zips up kb+m flamesuit* I enjoy playing this with a controller. Full stop.

That said, is there any reason why the game menus are only half functional with controllers? I assume it was properly implemented on PS4. Can't select planets, work with your inventory, etc with controller but can still move forward/back in menus.

One more question for PS4 users: does it map your controller differently to give you access to both sprint toggle AND roll? I love having roll available but holding down left stick to sprint in unacceptable.

What's your in-game name? I've got a set of items that will help with the early game.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
PC has an Orokin Reactor as a Hyosube (Sedna) reward.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
These aren't overpowered and don't change the balance in any way.

Every single one is weaker than the not-dual version, because status chance is worthless.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Insert name here posted:

Alright, looks like I'm grinding Raptor then! What's the best place to grind for Stretch? Also are the other powers for Nova any good as well?

Worm Hole is utility. Molecular Prime is so good I haven't bothered even having slots for the rest.

You'll want to grind Phorid when he manifests for Stretch, I think. It's not rare, might want to just ask goons.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

redstormpopcorn posted:

Thankfully it's a lot easier to play this for free than you'd think; I've been at since like Update 7.3 and am only just now considering buying plat to get more frame/weapon slots.

I'd recommend buying the cheapest pack with the first 50% off coupon you get, rather than trying to play entirely for free.

The potatoes and slots come in handy, plus it fully unlocks trading, so you can buy some of the extremely annoying to acquire things from other players.

Follow the spending guide in the first post and always ask goons before spending platinum on anything other than a potato/slots.

Assuming platinum works the same on PS4 as it does on PC.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

w00tmonger posted:

What are some good weapons to work towards? right now I only have Breton, Lato, and a Skana.

Magnus or Kunai for the secondary. Dual Zorens for melee. Primary depends on your current mastery.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Officer CockKnuckle posted:

I don't know if you have the same bundles on PC as PS4, but if you do, there's a female pack that isn't too bad, gives you Trinity, Ember, and Mag. Along with the slots and potatoes to go with them for 400p.

That's only 340 platinum more than the sane way.

EDIT: No, wait, forgot the potatoes. 280.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'd grab a Carrier, a Volt and the Alpha color pack. But the Volt is mostly because it's hard to get otherwise, and the Alpha color back because I like making pretty space ninjas. By which I mean my frames look like ridiculous clowns, and I want just the right shade of red for the clown nose.

Really, the only thing that you really do want to pick up with plat now is the Carrier. There's plenty of items that you might want to buy later on, but you can spend that plat when you need those items.

In PC-land you'd be paying 200-300 platinum for a maxed Serration. Grabbing a Rank 8/10 Serration for about 50 platinum would make you significantly more powerful when starting out, though. If you're in PC-land, I'd recommend asking a goon for help on getting one if you want one.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And his 4 also takes a long, long time to cast. Long enough it's useless as a distraction, too.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

limited posted:

Make sure to beg / borrow / steal / offer deviant sexual favors for a Serration mod ASAP. It's a flat boost to any rifle's damage, and you'll be using rifles a lot. Also don't forget to add those shield / vitality mods into your warframe too. They tend to be the first thing you'll pick up.

What you need first are Serration, Redirection and any Aura.

In PC-land at least you just need to join the clan and ask, but you need to be Mastery Rank 2 before you can trade.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

seiferguy posted:

I believe it costs over a million credits to buff narrow minded to the max (good luck finding the cores too!) so have fun with that :v:

I have gained 1.5 million credits from cap trains past 3 days. :v:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kaldaris posted:

1) Get T3 Capture Key.
2) Run T3 Capture with Fine and Friendly Goons.
3) Hope you get another T3 Capture key.
4) Did you? Technically you now have four.
5) 4 more chances to get another T3 Capture key! (And every time you do, you technically get another 4)

Enjoy!

And to explain why this is suddenly something you can do:
They first introduced new Void loot tables in update 12.
Then in hotfix 12.0.2 they removed cores and resources from the drop table, and this made the chance of a key drop high enough to keep playing T3 Capture for a very long time from just T3 Capture rewards.

I'm not sure if you can keep playing infinitely off just T3 Capture rewards, but I've never seen a goon group starting with 10 keys stop running a capture train because they ran out of keys. And with a good team, a T3 Capture takes at worst 5 minutes, and gives 25000 credits as a reward.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
"All these mantrains are blurring together."

"You go fast, you pound a dude, you go fast, you pound a dude, you go fast and then you find a new host for the party."

"And then you have to find new dudes for the key parties because people are too spent to continue or remember they have responsibilities."

Warframe should be played with goons.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Can someone post a list of all the rare/nightmare/etc. mods that are actually good and hard to get, so people know when not to fuse duplicates? I'd like to know which ones to keep to give to goons who need them.

Rares is a long, long list. Safer to not fuse rares.

Nightmare: Hammer Shot and Blaze are the ones that are hard to get. Many of them are good, but only those two are hard to get.

Uncommons are the tricky part.

There's Serration (which is essential to new players, but otherwise worthless).
Then there's Fever Strike (melee poison), Contagious Spread (shotgun poison), Stormbringer (rifle electric), Shotgun Spazz (shotgun fire speed), Expel mods (pistol faction, useless but very rare) and Sentinel Fast Deflection (very good, but not very expensive).

There's also one valuable Common - Guardian, the Sentinel mod that restores shields.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ssthalar posted:

So, can anyone tell me how out of date the wiki is regarding the Stalker?
Me and two friends ran into the fucker three times today, none of us having a death mark.

Not that I complain too much, seeing that I got a neat bow blueprint out of it, but I was lead to believe that the fucker had certain requirements that needed to be met before you could run into him.
(and that he was supposed to be rare as well)

Displaying if you have a death mark is broken and has never worked. You probably have a death mark and just don't know it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

QQmore posted:

Just hit rank 14 and I still don't have that sentinel rez shield yet after 659 hours of playing.

It's easy enough to get, just farm Grineer survival with a Nekros.

It's just not very good, since the shield health maxes at 250.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Once the Zephyrboat glitch is triggered, you have very limited movement until you fall into the gap in the middle.

After that, you look normal to yourself and can move normally, but you're still a Zephyrboat to others.

I didn't actually know that when recording, otherwise we'd have recorded the fighting at the end.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think the better part of that is we all three were.

Also that I was likely more use with my Wraith Twin Vipers than I was alive with my Latron Prime.

That's not a scarf, it's a Jat Kittag. And Zephyr's propeller hat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

smelly cabin filter posted:

:whoptc: is going on in this thread, I just wanted to ask for some advice on mods for my new birdframe that I put in the cooker and people are writing fanfiction???

Tornado is dumb as hell and mostly good for pissing off pubbies. Don't use it with goons unless it's an emergency, for it's a room clear button that leaves no loot.

Turbulence then again is her real ult, and it's finger-loving good.

Because of both of those powers having utterly annoying effects, you want to set your energy color to the darkest blue when playing with goons, and to the brightest green or pink when playing with pubbies.

Tail Wind is a super fun mobility ability. Using it while standing still gets you a fuckton of vertical height, more than any other frame can do. Also, using Tail Wind towards an exit makes her animations bug out in a funny way.

Her powers are mostly based on duration, so you want Continuity / Constitution.

She also got a fuckton of health. I pack Vigor + Redirection because gently caress Eviscerators.

And for Dive Bomb? I just couldn't give a poo poo about Dive Bomb, it has pretty poo poo damage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Isn't the lore on what the Tenno are basically "we used magic to connect them directly to the internet, then made robots based on whatever dumb poo poo they threw on DeviantArt to create a soldier that our enemies can't prepare for"?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shugojin posted:

Yeah there are actually a couple secret rooms in the Orokin Void/Derelicts that are only reachable via infinite vertical running.

I've found no rooms like that in my 500h+ of playing. Got pictures / videos?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sleepy Owl posted:

Spot the error: (besides my horrible framerate :qq:)

You used a Forma on a melee weapon.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Szurumbur posted:

Right, but how do I do that on the PS4? The only menus I have available after pressing Options on the map are the social menus (Chat, Friends and Clan). Is it somewhere in the options I can access when in missions (in the menus in which I can change FoV, camera speed and such)?

In PS4-land, you need to alter your router settings to let your PS4 through the firewall. This may be a colossal pain in the rear end, and the specific way you do this depends on your router. Good luck.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Morshu posted:

I'm hoping this leads them to make an underwater tile set. DE did do some work on BS2, after all. :getin:

I just played through BS2.

I counted three crashes where I lost over half an hour of progress, in 8 hours of actual gameplay. And the rest of the crashes didn't lose me progress because for the next few hours I kept hitting quicksave every five seconds.

Also, the water effects in BS2 are very underwhelming. Underwater levels are same as dry levels, except slower move speed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

C.M. Kruger posted:

Apparently while I was drinking over the weekend, I stuck a catalyst in the Viper I had made for Dual Vipers. :downs: Is there any way to salvage this with mods? Doesn't seem like a very impressive gun so far.

Support can undo recent potatoes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Deciding to fight Hek's turkey mode melee only (when I happened to have my heat dagger equipped) may have been a bad decision. Then having to get back up the waterslide because it bugged and didn't turn off two runs in a row was not one of my better experiences with warframe.

Melee only was the best part of that run.

Unlike, say, having to play Valkyr to have a shot at beating Hek or just getting more helmets.

But, I've got Hydrant, no need to fight Hek ever again. And so, four more items fall into the trash category.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tykero posted:

Punch-through both expands your tactical options and acts as a force multiplier. I can't *not* put it on any weapon I use, aside from the obvious exceptions of Ogris, Penta, etc. I do wish there were more mods like Shred, though.

Obvious exceptions of Ogris and Penta, despite the fact that Shred is the single most important mod you can stick on a Penta.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I found something out today: if you tailwind into the objective, you stay in that animation. I'm Supertenno!

Oh, it's way, way better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81Yukzwb9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha. That's amazing. How do you do that?

The time that was done, the steps were as follows:

Find an exit before you can leave (exterminate and skipping some enemies is the easiest).

Have the entire team in the exit, except the Zephyr.

Have Zephyr use an ability into the exit.

Now, the Zephyr will break out of it rather easily on the Zephyr's screen, but it did get stuck on the other people's screens.