Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bruc posted:

Good to see I'm not the only one who uses the greatest color scheme ever.

It is perfect for the Vauban.

I like that they've beefed up the berserker a lot, though I kind of miss the dog legs and to be honest she's still a bit too similar in body type to the other female frames. Ember is probably still more ripped, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Sobek's Mastery Locked too. I'm only rank 2 in, like, a good 20+ hours of play so I'm not exactly sure how the hell I'm supposed to get there anytime soon.

Strum isn't really impressing me either. Maybe it's just because it's a new gun and my Braton was rank 28.

Don't fret about mastery. It will come in time. Just keep trying out new weapons and frames that look fun. Frames in particular are worth more mastery as I recall.

As for shotguns, in my opinion you have to really like shotguns in order to want to use them in this game. The best shotgun (strun wraith) is no longer available, and the rest apart from the sobek are hit way too hard by magazine size and reload speed limitations. This is a game about mowing down large numbers of enemies from fairly large distances, and shotguns just don't fit very well in that scheme. That being said, there's no reason not to use the few that actually exist in the game if you like them. They're outperformed by rifles in 99% of cases, but by no means unusable. Also shotgun mods are generally cheaper to max out than rifle mods, and that has the dual benefit of being useful for the carrier's weapon.

Built in penetration through fleshy targets would go a long way toward making shotguns better in my opinion, but who knows when/if they'll make such fundamental changes to a whole weapon line.

But seriously, nobody is ever going to care what frame or gun you're using outside of like bringing unranked poo poo to a t3 defense. Use whatever you think is cool. Don't sweat about being optimal or min/maxing.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hooah posted:

I dunno, the Ignis is about the only rifle I've used so far that I like at least as much as shotguns (haven't made the Flux Rifle yet), and I don't play enough shooting games to feel that I have a preference for shotguns, so I don't know if I would go so far as to say you have to really like them to want to use them.

Well, part of it is also that there are really only like 4 shotguns in the game in terms of playing differently, and there are few shotguns period, so you'd better really like a given shotgun because odds are you're never going to be getting an upgrade or even sidegrade to it. Gameplay-wise shotguns run into a problem similar to sniper rifles, in that they can overkill by a lot when the usually more important statistic is how many kills a magazine translates into, which is pretty much always higher for rifles, especially ones like the ignis which blatantly disregard game mechanics like walls, body blocking, and aiming.

But again, there's no good reason not to use shotguns if someone wants to use them. They're just not a particularly well developed or well supported weapon type right now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

As a stupid newbie, are there tips on how best to hedge my bets on earning good loot?

Loot in the sense of items in this game pretty much boils down to frame parts or occasionally special weapon blueprints (many of which are bad) and those are random as to getting what you want, but a guaranteed drop for specific missions. You are never going to get a completed gun or frame dropped for you outright, you'll always be building them. For resources, just go to the planet that has the resources you need and do missions there. Defense, mobile defense, and survival are your best bets for farming resources. For rarer resources (orokin cells, neurodes, etc.) you'll want to farm the boss of that planet. For control modules just do one void mission and you're set for life.

Edit: What the guy above said as well. Don't worry about grinding for loot early on. Just focus on unlocking planets and getting a regular braton ASAP.

vvvv While true about defense/mobdef/survival, bosses can sometimes drop 2+ of the resource plus a guaranteed frame part bp from mission completion. For a new player the income from selling the frame part bps is really useful. Def/mobdef and survival in particular also usually need a bit higher level player in terms of mods than bosses do.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 19, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

Is a regular Braton best obtained via building it from blueprints or should I use Plat?

You buy the regular braton outright with just credits. See the OP for a list of things that are worth spending platinum on (not weapons).

vvvv That is most likely the primary weapon experience login bonus. It uses the braton icon and has a number at the bottom. There are also secondary weapon and frame experience login bonuses, and maybe melee too, but I don't recall off the top of my head. You will grow to hate getting those instead of something useful, especially when you logged out with a maxed out weapon.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

Started playing on PS4, and I started with 150 platinum. Anything specific I should buy with it? From what I read so far, I should be aiming for slots.

Read the OP. I should add that 75 platinum frames aren't too bad of a deal since you get the potato and slot with them. Since you would need the slot and would want the potato anyway, 35 plat for a frame ends up being pretty decent. Other than that, read the OP.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Looking at that some more, that "5% status" thing could mean that rapidfire weapons will be a lot better at doing status effects so if they adjust those numbers for every weapon then underpowered things like the Grakata could actually have a use (provided they don't give the Soma the same number so it continues to be better at absolutely everything). On the other hand it could end up making sniper rifles even more useless if they will have status chances like 5%.

I think sniper rifles wouldn't need to be based on elemental procs to be improved. What they need is just reliable high damage, like a 0% crit rate but enormous base damage. A flat proc chance per bullet would definitely give high fire rate weapons a solid niche as you say, so hopefully that's what they go with. I'm glad I have kept so many of my old weapons so that I will have a good base to experiment with.

I wonder how shotguns will be handled in terms of procs. On the one hand, per pellet could probably get nuts, but on the other hand each trigger pull being a basically guaranteed proc would give them the edge they probably need.

I am really goddamn excited for this update.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't mind the weapon swap time so much as the times when swapping weapons lags a bit, so you hit the button again to make sure it went through, but then both swaps are registered and you get your original gun back so that you have to swap again and then you just look like a moron shuffling through your pockets while a grineer heavy shoots you up.

But I like that they're encouraging having specialized weapons in each slot. They seem to be moving slowly toward making pistols comparable to primaries, and this is another step in that process. Now we just have to wait on melee.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crowbear posted:

So what's a good set of pistols to shoot for? I spent a bunch of crap making a Seer and I'm reaalllly not a fan of it.

I just shot you an invite to the PS4 clan.

Bear in mind that any recommendations are based on the current damage system and could well be completely inaccurate as soon as the next patch drops. If you liked how the lato works, going for a vasto is probably a pretty safe bet, though you may not be able to build it yet. It should survive the transition to the new damage system pretty well and is a solid all-around weapon if you aim your shots reasonably well. Note that the dual vastos are not strict upgrades to the single. High fire rate pistols like the viper/furis and their dual versions tend to be poor choices due to the lower pistol ammo maximum and kind of weak stats. I suspect that kunai/hikou probably won't make out as well as others after the damage update, so I'd be a bit leery of them unless you want to be maximally anime.

Use the bronco if you want a shotgun pistol. Personally I prefer a single bronco to duals, but both are fine choices. At some point they will hopefully release the hand cannons from the recent event to the non-poopsocking public.

Spectra will probably still be butt even after the update.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 20, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Thanks for the pistol tips guys. Turns out I had a bunch of Neurodes lying around so I've got a Vasto building right now.

I also realized that I recently got my Braton up to 30, so I guess it's time to look at stepping up my primary. I usually gravitate to shotguns in shooters, are they any good in this game?

And a couple of other things I've been wonder about :

1) At what point does Mag stop being hilariously overpowered? Through the first 3 worlds + half of Saturn I can run around spamming Pull and destroying entire levels, doing like 70% of the groups damage. I take it this won't last forever.

2) What the gently caress are you supposed to do if the Stalker shows up? I've gotten him 4 times already and when there's a group he just mauls us all. When I'm solo I either auto-fail the mission or waste my revives trying to get away.

Shotguns are fine, if not quite what the game is designed for, but I would advise against getting one if you want to use the carrier sentinel. Also there is an extremely limited selection of shotguns right now. Next patch should add one more, but you're more or less going to be stuck with very little variety in good shotguns.

Mag won't stop being hilariously overpowered until they nerf pull, and let's be honest, it needs it.

Stalker generally focuses on his specific target (the one who gets his messages) in my experience, unless he can't get to them. It's odd that you say you burn revives trying to get away from him, since he should just leave after he murders you once. The guy he's targeting should not try to tank his damage output, but focus on avoiding him while others take him out. If he shows up during a mastery test, then you're basically just hosed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Khorne posted:

Not even iron skin will save you from the stealth mastery test. It's infuriating how long it takes and that you fail randomly because the enemy decides you are a target and starts shooting a wall even though you're standing still in the same spot you have been forever. Stealth has no place in warframe, and the sooner they get rid of that poo poo the better.

The stealth mastery test is what Loki is for. Can't get more stealthy than literally invisible :pseudo:. That is, unless the stalker shows up, but you're boned if that happens anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hooah posted:

Wow, fantastic. I just tried to do the 8->9 test, and accidentally threw a decoy right away instead of hitting invis. Decoy kept me getting detected until I had 0 tries left, at which point I became visible and was immediately spotted. :wtf:

Woooooo I am now not the only moron who has done that! :smith::hf::smith: Just wait until tomorrow when the stalker decides to pay you a visit during that test.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I'm not loving my time with Excalibur and I have limited game time (wife, 11 month old...) so sometimes throwing money at the problem is the best solution.

So if I bought a frame with Plat, is it instantly delivered? Usable immediately?

Where can I read about Mag and Rhino?

You will get any plat-bought frame instantly, with the slot and potato. That being said, if you are going to buy a frame with plat, make it either the vauban (pain in the rear end to get normally), banshee (slightly less of a pain in the rear end to get than vauban, but also not all that great), or one of the 75 plat frames, which would be I think loki or mag. The 75 plat are frames are pretty close to being a decent deal because with the potato and slot both being 20 the frame itself only ends up costing 35.

However are you sure it's only the excalibur you dislike or the game as a whole? Switching to one of the other frames is not really going to drastically change the general play experience since you'll still be using your guns the majority of the time, and you probably don't want to sink more money into something you're not going to be getting a lot of use out of.

As for information on frames, weapons, mods, etc., just look at the wiki.

vvvv Potato means orokin reactor (for frames) or orokin catalyst (for weapons). Both do the same thing: double the amount of mod points a frame/weapon has, which is immensely useful. You can add them at any level, but they can't be removed.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 21, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

To be fair, Hulk Hands is probably copyrighted. And I'm gonna be honest, as prone as I am to getting kinda SJW, naming it hysteria is pretty low on my list of things to get upset over, even with knowing why others are mad about it. Though it's still not a very good name when they could've just used like rage or something.

Also because I have more money than sense, I picked up the update bundle (thank/drat you platinum discount login bonus). I foresee many valkyr's sailing off to hilarious deaths because grappling hook has the same wonky targeting requiring too much precision that all single target abilities do. My initial impressions of the shotgun, pistol, and whip are that they aren't that good, though I haven't played with them much at all, no mods, etc. The whip has really jerky animations, too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The double barreled shotgun needs to reload waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster if they want people to ever use it. I suppose its unique feature is supposed to be that it deals slashing rather than impact damage, but that is nowhere near enough. The new pistol has also done nothing to impress me so far. It is a gorgon that takes even longer to spin up to a slower firing rate and has arguably worse accuracy and the pistol ammo pool. Unless I'm missing something, both of these weapons are butt.

Maybe the whip won't suck? I mean, at least not beyond the standard melee suck.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 21, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Power duration, power range, and power efficiency are best for Nyx. Beyond that just go with the standards like rush and redirection. Nyx only really has one good skill (chaos), so you want to maximize that. Mind control has its uses against grineer heavies/bombards/napalms, but duration matters less on that since they'll usually be killed in short order anyway.

Piell posted:

This is the Damage 2.0 work in progress chart they posted a few weeks back

Those almost certainly aren't the final numbers, but the categories of what stuff is weak vs strong against is probably still correct for the most part.

Assuming that is still accurate, here's a quick Cliff's notes summary:

Blast (ogris by default, ignis with a cold mod), magnetic, and corrosive are good all-around element combos and heat is the best single element choice since none of them have negative modifiers. With any of the others you are likely to run into conflicts within a given mission.

Against grineer you want high puncture with impact being secondary, but avoid cold. Against corpus, impact is the best choice and puncture is okay, but avoid toxic (I think Saryn's skills just ignore any defenses still, so don't worry about that). Against infested obviously slashing and heat are the only real options.

The exact modifiers will likely have changed since that chart, but I don't think it's too likely that the general trends will have changed much. Puncture is definitely still rear end against infested. Also don't trust what the game currently tells you about damage in the arsenal. Alongside the previously mentioned oddness with the sweeper, I can say that the ogris' listed damage is nowhere near accurate, or at least it wasn't last night. There may have been hotfixes to address that since then.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 21, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Tenno are cats.

Ularg posted:

I didn't know once you beat certain missions that they become super loving tough on a second go around. Jackal had different environment modifiers. One just basically took 20hp off a second until I died and the other had low grav but I was level 16 and Jackel was level 53.

You were running nightmare mode in that second one. Once you complete a planet its nightmare missions become available. They will be marked by a skull instead of the normal dot, and the prep screen will have an ugly red filter and skull over it. It's odd that you got sent into one without knowing, since now there's a prompt for whether you want to do nightmare or normal. Some of the nightmare effects are irrelevant (low gravity) or at least tolerable (vampire, which I think can never actually kill you on its own), but others you should just instantly restart if you draw them (no shields, energy drain).

The reason to do nightmare missions is for certain really good mods that only come as rewards for finishing nightmare missions. I think drop rates might also be slightly better, but I'm not sure about that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Your gun sucks because you don't have good mods yet, so it takes you a long time and a lot of bullets to kill stuff. DE balances this game around the assumption that you have serration/hornet strike/point blank (stupid base damage booster mods that shouldn't exist because they're terrible design) at decent levels. It sucks really early on, but that's just how this game is until you get those mods. If you have a fire damage mod for your weapons at least slot those.

Hulk hands on Valkyr is surprisingly pretty strong, at least until your melee attack bugs out and gets disabled, which is a bug that has existed for how many patches now and still isn't fixed? They also need to remove the coloring that covers your screen during it because you can't see poo poo while it's active (though its purpose is basically just mash attack so that doesn't really matter too much). Also sometimes ripline just straight up won't fire, and it never takes you the full distance. It does deal decent damage though, if you can manage to get it to hit something (its targeting requirements are super precise). The armor buff/melee attack speed boost thing is just not particularly relevant, and the knockdown is sort of decent I guess. Basically before anyone gets too excited to build her, she/the game needs some serious bug fixing and fundamental changes. Just build Rhino if you want a melee capable frame that might have actually been designed by someone who plays Warframe. She's still better than Nekros, though.

Also, don't waste your money or time on tigris or cestra. They are competing with each other for the illustrious title of "Worst gun in the game."

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 22, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

After having gotten all of the new stuff to 30 or near it with a potato, here's a brief review of each. For all the weapons, they're crap without mods and also have no innate polarities, so I wouldn't consider any of them if you're a new player.

Lecta (the whip): Probably one of the better melee weapons, though still behind galatine. It's not a charge attack weapon (its charge actually kinda sucks), but a mash melee button in hordes of enemies weapon. It hits multiple targets per swing, though the third swing is a bit weird to aim. It has solid range and its innate electrical damage doesn't hurt it too bad. If you absolutely must melee, you can do worse, but as it is now it's nothing to write home about. Range and attack speed mods are pretty good on it after the standard base damage and elemental mods.

Cestra (the pistol): It's basically just a pistol gorgon that spins up slower and fires slower. Of the high fire rate pistols it's probably the best due to surprisingly decent ammo efficiency and good base damage. Even being mostly puncture it's still solid against infested. If you're into gorgon pistols it's a good pick, but usually that's not what you're looking for in a pistol.

Tigris (the double barreled shotgun): poo poo. Its reload is way too long for its 2 (really just 1) shot magazine, and its base damage is not high enough to compensate for either of those things. It still has damage dropoff, doesn't have a wide spread or high number of pellets, and doesn't have a good crit chance or any real redeeming features. There is absolutely no reason to use this gun unless you just really want a double barreled shotgun. Like it's so bad I don't think a single person at DE play tested it, and I honestly wonder how nobody saw its stats and thought "Hey maybe this blows." Use the sobek.

Valkyr: Like the tigris, I'm not sure anyone really play tested Valkyr. She has mediocre base stats apart from armor (which is largely useless) and the lowest or tied for lowest shields in the game. Her energy is low, but to an extent that's not a big deal. Hulk hands is fun and powerful, and makes fighting in melee feel good, if overly simplistic since there are no charge attacks. It's no mprime, stomp, or pull, but what is? It applies a really annoying red tint over your screen though, which can be especially bad in some rooms. Grappling hook is neat, but needs a lot of work. It takes a lot of time to fire, sometimes doesn't want to fire at all, costs too much for what it does, and doesn't actually pull you to your target or really even close to it (can't cross the gap at the end of cyath, for example). Her buff is entirely useless. Armor is already bad, and since it's a percentage buff few frames will get much benefit from it anyway. Likewise melee attack speed is pretty much never useful. The enemy speed debuff isn't very noticeable and is largely irrelevant when most of them have guns anyway. Her stun only lasts about a second and a half, seemingly unaffected by anything, does damage that nobody would care about, requires a huge sacrifice to use which is even more counter-intuitive due to her poor shield rating, seems to have a target cap, and will do absolutely nothing when you would need it most. On the plus side, it only costs 5 energy, but I'd rather pay more for a good ability. Every ability has too long of a cast time, but that's nothing new.

What I would want them to do to her is give her Loki's base movement speed and better health and shield ratings. Ability wise, they should just remove the damage from her stun and grappling hook since nobody is going to use them that purpose anyway. Grappling hook should only cost 5-10 energy and pull you farther and faster when you hit something that isn't an enemy. Her buff should be changed to self only and speed up melee charge times in addition to what it already gives, and give a lifesteal effect to at least Valkyr herself. They seem to want her to be a health/armor tank, but without a way to restore her health that's not going to work. If all that is too much, they could easily drop the enemy slow. If they make the above change to her buff, her stun can keep the shield cost for damage, albeit with a better coefficient, but always stun with the duration improved by mods, and a faster casting animation so that she can actually act before they recover. The energy cost should go up in that case from 5 to 25. Hulk hands needs to lose that red filter effect because it is awful, and I'd like to see it fleshed out a bit more with a charge attack and maybe a new attack on mouse click. It doesn't need too much beyond that.

So basically the guns are trash at worst or nothing special at best, and Valkyr needs some serious work on most of her, but her ult is pretty fun and lets you actually melee in this game, if in a shallow way. Don't go out of your way to pick any of them up until buffs.

Why have I written so many words about this stupid loving game?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 23, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Male Man posted:

Maybe if hulkhand kills restored health she'd be able to actually kinda be the berserker she's supposed to be.

edit: Oh, God. I had no idea they nerfed armor to 35% effectiveness. Why didn't they just reduce enemy armor values instead of slapping a multiplier on the formula?

I see two ways they could go with Valkyr in keeping her identity as The Melee Frame, because she definitely needs some work, and I still suspect that she was designed by someone who doesn't actually play the game.

1) Pretty much declare that Valkyr exists solely for Hulk hands, make no real changes to anything about it or her other skills, and clean up some bugs with ripline (for example the fact that it will not activate 70% of the time). Being completely invincible and really powerful during Hulk hands makes it a good skill for people who really, really want to melee, even if it's still worse than stomp/pull/mprime.

2) Remove the invincibility from Hulk hands, but redesign basically 50+% of her skill set to give her a way to restore her health so that she can actually health tank, make her buff at all useful, fix ripline bugs, and make her aoe stun actually useful.

Either way, they need to remove that horrible red filter that activates whenever you go into Hulk hands, and I'd like to see them flesh it out more with like a slash-dash-esque charge attack and/or tying ripline to the normal fire button for a greatly reduced cost. And fix ripline bugs and make its targeting a little more generous for pulling other things instead of pulling you. You know, when it wants to fire at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

Stuff about bad powers.

You're a little harsh on some of the powers, I'd say. Radial disarm is really good for any non-infested missions and is only not amazing because full room/universe clear skills exist. Loki is probably the best designed frame in the game in terms of being powerful without trivializing the game too much, to be honest. Venom is good for keeping boss shields down over a fairly long period of time, at least. I'm guessing you maybe meant antimatter drop rather than null star on Nova. Unless the new damage system was a buff to it, I think drop's damage still isn't spectacular and it still has some screwiness with hosting vs. not. Null star may not be the best damage, but it staggers on hit, is really efficient, and doesn't require any thought, plus it's a great roller defense. Well of life has some use in its combo with energy vamp, unless they fixed that.

But yeah, I'd agree with the rest. Again it just goes back to the original problem where in most cases room clears basically just trump every other skill a frame has, especially when their 1 is just a smaller version of the room clear.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 26, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

So sentinels only get one weapon? My carrier is only rank 17 and the shotgun is almost maxed out.

Also can someone give a quick rundown on what prime weapons are?

Also I donated to the PS4 clan towards the koi pond. I think we are only like 5k of a certain material away.

Any sentinel can equip any sentinel weapon. If you want to get a new sentinel weapon, build a new sentinel and just swap the weapons out. At the moment I think only the dethcube's gun and carrier's shotgun are worth using. Nobody uses shade for damage and wyrm's gun is just kinda there. Not sure about djinn's weapon. It is worthwhile to have both the deth rifle and sweeper as choices, since you can avoid needing to have redundant mods if you have both due to being able to use sweeper primary if you have a rifle and deth rifle if you have a shotgun primary.

Prime weapons are only available from the void (each part and the blueprint are random completion rewards from different types of mission) or in some cases throwing a boatload of money at DE. They generally have slightly superior stats to their non-prime counterparts, come with 1 or 2 built-in polarity slots, and have fancy gold poo poo on them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Schubalts posted:

How is the Ballistica, anyway? That 3000 nanospore requirement is stopping me from even buying the blueprint.

The ballistica is a bit of a weird gun. It has nice versatility and (potentially) ammo efficiency, but is tricky to get used to. You get the same damage whether you charge shots or burst fire (provided all bolts hit), but charging only takes 1 bolt while a burst takes 4. The burst also has some nasty recoil that makes it pretty tough to adjust to. Neither mode is hitscan and the charged bolt is a little slow, so it doesn't work as well at super long ranges, but it does have good accuracy. One annoyance about it is that it's just a big gun and eats up a lot of screen space when you have it out, which can get annoying. I think in general it's a bit of an underused weapon that just doesn't get mentioned much. If you want nanospores just run a bunch of cyath, which everyone ends up doing anyway to level guns.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't really see a good reason to build dual lexes. The reason you use that gun is for accurate headshots, not pumping bullets into mans. Vastos are closer to the pump bullets side and even for them duals are at best a sidegrade. And hey, another bow nobody is going to care about because bows suck.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 28, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WeaponBoy posted:

There was an account reset a few months ago, but I believe that was only for a limited time so that people who had been playing for a long time could reset their platinum for particularly bad choices when the game was a very different beast.

If you just want to switch over to something like Mag you should be able to farm up the parts relatively easily on Mars by killing Nef Anyo a bunch. It's a fairly early planet so there are usually people running him for Mag parts or Gallium.

Also if you're willing to throw down $5 (or less during plat sales), the 3 old starters (excal, loki, volt instead of mag) are a solid deal for 75 plat since they come with a potato and slot. Especially now that volt is going to be annoying to farm.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 30, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Having not played the game in a while, I'm kinda curious about the new frames. I hear great things about the Valkyr, but what about the Nekros? Is he any good, or merely passable like I suspect he is?

Valkyr is mediocre with 2 fairly fun skills that are often buggy and 2 that are really bad. She also has pretty weak base stats. Nekros is the worst frame in the game unless doubling drops in a defense mission is what you live for. The rest of his abilities are awful. He's also kind of annoying to farm for and has average base stats. Neither frame is unusable, so if you think they look cool, go for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is worth remembering that Mag used to be arguably the worst frame in the game and then got insanely buffed to being just shy of Nova/Rhino levels, so Necros and Valkyr probably won't spend too too long being crappy. DE may make a lot of mistakes, but they do (eventually) get around to fixing them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

They promised an Ember buff.

I'm waiting, DE.

Damage 2.0 was a pretty solid buff to Ember (also Volt and Frost). Fireball is actually somewhat decent now (still needs better particles, though). Overheat is still kinda meh unless you enjoy hugging people to death, but having a poo poo skill is common to all frames except Rhino, God King of All Frames. Plus Ember prime looks cool, which is as good as a buff.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't tried Ember since the update but I won't think she's alright until they fix world on fire. It's her best skill but it's still broken and has been for a really long time. I heard they even increased the time it takes to arbitrarily pick a new target.

Granted it was only t2 survival, but I didn't particularly notice any issues with it even at 20-25 minutes in.

Gazaar posted:

I'll have a Nekros and a Nova coming out at the same time and I'll enjoy them equally.

Trust me, you won't. And then Nova will ruin every frame except Rhino/Mag for you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hopefully the next frame will be the bird one that was in that one list a while back. I am 100% certain that one of its powers will just be literal flight.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper Man posted:

Now they've released Valkyr, a frame just as poorly tested and thought out as Nekros. It's been months since Nekros came out and he's not been touched at all. Good luck with Valkyr.

Valkyr honestly isn't that far off. Her ult and ripline are good, if buggy. She's just mostly held back by horrendously terrible base stats. If her shields didn't blow then her stun might be a bit better. Her buff/debuff needs to be redesigned, but again, almost every frame has a bad skill and I think we all just need to come to accept that truth. Certainly there's more that they could do with her, but base stat buffs would probably get her level with everyone else.

God why do we all play this terrible game?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Oh I think cooldowns are a bad solution as well, but it's all I've got at the moment. I'd sooner just not have the boring room clear ults at all, but fat chance of that happening. And yeah, they'd definitely just add cooldown mods.

Kanos posted:

Go over that token useless power that every frame has and give it the Mag/Rhino treatment.

To be honest I don't really want them to give every frame insane Mag/Rhino buffs. If anything, Rhino, Mag, and Nova need to be brought way down. I'm of the probably not terribly popular opinion at least on their forums that allowing players to trivialize the game to that degree is really not a good thing. I'd put Volt, Vauban, Loki, Frost, and Saryn as more or less the standards for where frames should be, with cooldowns added to their ults to keep them as the Oh poo poo buttons they should be rather than just something you hit when you have 100 energy and there are more than 2 things in view. Honestly Nova would probably be pretty balanced as well if they just did that to her. A few of the others would need some toning down to get to that state and a few some tuning up, but it's not like there aren't good standards that you could point to that feel good to use without making the game boring. There's no point in playing a game where the content is trivially easy.

Edit: Actually Nyx isn't particularly well balanced either, so cross her off that list.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ We all hate this game but can't stop playing it because it's basically progress quest. I am at 11 mastery and still build new guns and swords even though I have no reason at all to do so.

Kanos posted:

It's really bizarre how Jackal, their first real boss, is probably the best designed in practice. At least his pseudo-invulnerability phases are actively controllable by the player(I guess Vor qualifies too, come to think of it). The rest of their boss revamps are mostly boring jerk-off fests while you hide and wait for the boss to go through his AI cycles until he does the thing that lets you shoot him for two seconds before repeating the process 3-4 times until he dies.

Jackal is only well designed by comparison to the normal-enemy-but-with-more-hit-points bosses. It isn't remotely threatening even before the fact that it can be effectively stunlocked pretty trivially with halfway decent weapons. It also has the usual corpus boss problem of it being unclear when you're actually damaging it. I get the feeling that in a lot of cases people's opinion of "good boss design" amounts to the boss being little more than a loot pinata made out of wet newspaper.

Most of the redesigned or new bosses are fundamentally sound designs that could be pretty easily fixed to be an actual encounter without being frustrating. The biggest problem most have is that they just make you wait a long time without being real threats. Lech Kril is completely unthreatening but takes an age to use his attack that leaves him open, which he has to do way too many times. They need to either up the frequency of that attack or decrease the number of hoses he has, and give him some actually dangerous attacks like maybe a freezing torid or something. Vor needs to summon mooks that don't die instantly while he's shielded, he needs to not randomly stop taking damage (probably a bug, I hope), and again have more threatening attacks. Leviathan or whatever it's called in the derelict just flat out needs less health or longer vulnerability periods. There are too many times when its parts look like they should take damage but don't.

I honestly think they did a good job with Ruk's redesign, though that opinion could be influenced in large part by how hilarious it is to watch pubbies blow all their ammo on him and then try to melee him, and his great taunts. He's reasonably threatening, there are clear and fairly frequent times when you can damage him, it's clear where to shoot him, mook spawns are used appropriately, and when done right you can down him in probably 3 clips of one person's gun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fruit Chewy posted:

Can anyone tell what warframe the pink dude is using in this lovely PS4 screenshot? He was shooting out pink particles that one shot entire rooms and wrecked an alert in about 5 minutes allowing me to get a complementary energy syphon.

Looks like a Nova to me. The pink particles were probably Nova's 1 ability, null star.

vvvv Yeah. Nova is from Europa which is reasonably high level and takes a bit to get to as I recall.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 3, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Let's all be honest here. Warframe is, as of right now, not a good game, and its 4/10 is about the score it deserves when judged alongside full games, which any game should be if its developers feel they can start taking money, beta or not. The reason people have logged hundreds of hours into it is because it combines the visceral fun of a shooter and near zero chance of failure past the first couple hours with mindless repetition and making bars go up (usually 7 bars at once!) It requires no more time commitment than maybe 10-20 minutes for a round with some guaranteed progress and reward at the end. It is the Lay's potato chip of gaming.

Edit: Also watching pubbies flail away at Ruk never stops being hilarious. If I knew anything about recording video game stuff and doing anything with youtube other than watching, I'd have to make a PUBBIES INTENSIFIES video showing exactly that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 3, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Piell posted:

Add a bunch more mods with upside/downsides, so that you can turn a Soma into a high ammo bullet hose or a slow firing death cannon or a crit-based corrosive bullet shooter.

That's what we all kind of expected corrupted mods to be. Instead we got a mix of mods that are an upside nobody cares about on an awful downside that is a loving 10 level rare mod (hi tainted magazine) or something with an insane upside and irrelevant downside that is trivially easy to level.

I harp on this a lot, but it's really becoming apparent to me that a good portion of DE's developers don't seem to actually play the game.

Edit: To be slightly generous to Warframe's customization, I can't really think of any games that have managed to do customization well in the sense of that customization being transformational rather than just more numbers.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 4, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Get the Latron then. It's a single-shot gun that isn't lame and stupid like the mk-1 Braton.

Or if you want a gun that isn't poo poo, the burston or hind. Same or better accuracy, better damage, built in V polarity, and better when you need to mow down waves of enemies. I think the burston at least is cheaper, too. I say this as a person who has used both latrons and the burston and hind.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the latest patches and damage 2.0 managed to somehow make Nekros even worse. I think soul punch deals impact damage and has somehow become buggy such that it doesn't punt the target, though on occasion I think I saw it shoot the target toward me. I'm pretty sure terrify doesn't even do the fear any more, and its armor debuff now matters even less.

I know the answer is DE, but holy poo poo how did they think this frame was something they should release? And why did I forma and starch it in the vain hope that it will someday not suck? Don't drunkframe.

vvvv Hind or vectis.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 9, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Slayerjerman posted:

Nekros is a mod/mat farming frame and should never be used as anything else. All you need is 90% power efficiency, Desecrate and a bit of time. Just sit and spam that while your team kills the mobs, even better if there's a Vauban tossing vortex to roundup and crowd control them. On a 20-round run at Xini, I can usually farm 40~50 mods and more nanospores than god.

If you want to kill poo poo, use a different frame.

Oh I'm well aware that Nekros has no purpose other than farming (which is an absolute poo poo design). Also I thought desecrate didn't work with vortex unless they changed something, since vortex gets rid of the bodies. Basically my point is that they need to redesign that frame because being the farm bot with 3 lovely powers and nothing else remarkable is stupid as hell.

For nobody in particular, here's what I would do to the Nekros: Make soul punch sonic boom (and make banshee's sonic boom a Guile sonic boom that knocks everything in its path to the sides. Also make silence flash kick). Raise dead should no longer be his ult but instead spawn just one improved minion for 75 energy, prioritizing the strongest one you've killed. Terrify becomes his ult, an aoe centered on the Nekros for some duration that reduces enemy armor in its aoe and and fears any enemy that hits him for a couple seconds. Desecrate should be changed from its stupid loot doubler to just healing the Nekros based on the number of corpses around for 50 energy or, if they want some team utility, spawning a health pickup on each corpse. And then give him better health and armor so that maybe just once health tanking might conceivably be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

The Infested change is the major questionable decision here. I mean, of all the factions in the game, they effectively remove the fun faction? What is DE thinking? :psyduck:

Except the infested aren't fun. They're just trivially easy to mow down with zero challenge.