Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I played for a few hours and it's been surprisingly fun, though not finding new weapons will probably get to me in later sessions; otherwise, it reminded me heavily of Phantasy Star Online, which is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. I even had a few people joining my squad, which was a nice surprise, as I was able to help with a mission, even though it was my first time doing it. I do have a few questions (please keep in mind I have the PS4 version):

1) During the missions, I sometimes couldn't "Revive" a downed ally - the game would display the "Hold O to Revive", but holding the button would not do anything. Other times it would work and I don't think I did anything differently.
2) Is there any way to quickly communicate with other players? The game often mentions typing things out on a keyboard, but I don't have one :saddowns: Are there shortcuts for "Help!" "Come here" and other types of messages?
3) Other than playing solo, is there a way not to be dragged into a first mission your squadmate selects? After clearing fourth (I think) mission on the starting planet I wanted to select the next one, but my squadmate selected the same mission and dragged me into doing it again - which led to the first problem and he/she died :( Obviously, were we communicating anything, it would not happen, but I barely have time to shoot as it is, let alone typing any kind of messages.
4) Do I lose much by playing solo? Does the game scale enemies to the amount/level of the players in squad?
5) What does raising affinity actually do? My frame is just as flimsy as it was, my default assault rifle still does the same amount of damage it did at the start and my lovely pistol is still lovely despite gaining a few levels - do their stats increase? Their upgrade slots? Something else?

I think that's it for the moment - thanks in advance for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Man posted:

2.) Yes it's called using your voice, and talking to teammates via ingame chat..
3.) Again, voice coms are key
4.) I think the drops arent as good when soloing, think diablo rules.. more players = harder/better drops
5.) Affinity unlocks other stuff thats XP locked.. basically it's dumb

Protip: never ever ever use transfusion.

Also Add me to your list on PSN and come get into a Party

PSN: IntoTheMild

I do have the packed in mono-aural headset, I suppose I can work with that. No one talked to me, either, or sent any messages, it was a rather bizarre experience, all things considered. I will add you, just know that I'm level 3 or not brave enough to leave the starting planet :v:

Sandweed posted:

The revive thing I don't know about might be a PS4 issue, for the rest read the Op and also the wiki.

I did read the OP, still missed a few things from that, so after re-reading I do know more!

Still, do any other PS4 users experience the problem with not being able to Revive other players? I felt like an arsehole running around the downed squadmate and not being able to help.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I figured that if random goons wouldn't know something off the top of their heads then it wouldn't be something that I'd actually learn, thus not important to my heavily-casual ways :v:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BarkingSquirrel posted:

It happens occasionally but isn't really a big deal. Don't worry about it. Everyone gets 4 manual revives per frame per day.

Also put your PSN name here so all us PS4 guys can just add you. I'll send you a clan invite to you too so you don't have to rely on pubbies.

My PSN is Maszkara - I don't really play all that often, though, I hope I'll be of some use despite that :ohdear:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
There should be a note in the OP not to break the Reinforced Glass when you are on a spaceship, I don't know what I expected to happen :v:

Also the first Rank Up test is taking me far too many tries and only once was I close to making it, is there any trick to that? I use Loki with Decoy, Invisibility and Teleport and the lovely default Braton, can't afford anything else.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I have a dumb question, but please bear with me: what is the best/preferred way to invite people to join your game? Sometimes I see a person on my PSN list playing Warframe and don't know what type of messages are the most prominent - is the PSN message even visible in-game, or should I go through the in-game chat and Invite or go to the Dojo, now that I've actually crafted the Key? Please advise!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I have a general question about missions and ammunition drops: why do I (playing solo and using only a Rifle and a Pistol) consistently get Shotgun and Sniper ammunition drops? As I still use the default gun I need every bullet I can get and quite literally I ran out of bullets (for a Rifle and a Pistol) on my latest mission and had to sprint through enemies while using Invisible constantly - of course, not being able to gather energy made that a bit hard. I realize if I was playing in a group that would most likely be alleviated, but seeing as it is not always an option (and I like playing solo, it's tense), do I just have to get used to it? I was trying to use my sword, but it wasn't working too well. Obviously having a better gun would help a lot, but that's something I'm working on. I'm currently on Venus.

Also I have a question about the first (or "prove yourself with the primary weapon" if they come in random order) test: I was able to clear the first wave of enemies barely in a time limit and was feeling quite relieved, but then another wave came in and promptly killed me. How many waves there are and do enemies become progressively stronger or are they simply more numerous?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 21, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

Ammo becomes much, much less of an issue once you start getting some half decent mods in your gun. That said, replace your starter rifle ASAP, it's terrible. 25k credits will get you the normal Braton to replace your Mk1, and that will flat out double your damage output. And don't forget you have your sword. It's not a very good sword, but on on Mercury it'll do the job (especially with the bonus melee damage you get from being invisible).

As for the mastery test, there's no reason you should be dying on it, even with the starter weapons. There's three waves of enemies, and you should have plenty of time. Remember to stay mobile, you don't have to stand in the middle getting shot.

I still don't have enough money :cry: My worst problem with the test is the time limit: if I run around dodging I can't kill the enemies fast enough, if I attack head-on I have little leeway and end up getting killed. The reason for me getting killed is probably me not being very good at the game, but at least I have infinite chances to get better - in the end I can just grind until I have a better gun, anyway.

Sandweed posted:

Get one of these:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rifle_Ammo_Mutation

It's the solution to soloing.

Zakmonster posted:

Ammo drops are completely randomized, which is a minor gripe I have with this game. Universal ammo clips (like they used in Mass Effect 2 and 3) would have been much more elegant, with each individual weapon getting a different amount of ammunition per clip.

If your weapons are low level and you don't have a lot of mods at high level, then you'll probably run out of ammo a lot. Nothing you can do but to suck it up and melee more often. However, it does force you to try to get headshots, and be more conservative with your ammo use, which is a good practice to have.

Also, you can try asking fellow goons if they have a spare ammo mutation mod. They drop quite reliably from Survival missions (Apollodorus in Mercury, 25 minutes onwards will tend to give an ammo mutation mod), so that's another avenue.

Also, all melee attacks while invisible automatically crit.

That mod seems like a good solution and will probably end up useful anyway, I'll have to look into getting it - although preferably by doing a mission. Auto-crits while being invisible will help a lot, I was simply using the skill to as a better Decoy and swinging will also end up sparing bullets.

Also, does Teleport Switch really confuse enemies (as in, they lose aggro or something)? I can hardly use it consistently because of targeting problems, so I was going to switch it out for some Shield mod, but if it has some hidden properties, maybe I won't.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've almost gathered enough credits to buy a normal Braton, but I have a question about Mastery - I understand that weapon affinity is one way to raise it, so should I still use the Mk-I Braton in order to maximize its affinity? According to the wiki, the weapon affinity is the biggest component of Mastery EXP, but would I obtain rank 8-10 without maxing many weapons? I don't really want to grind this rifle, I want to sell it and forget about it :(

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Then I'll just sell the Mk-I and gather the rest of necessary funds that way, thanks for the answers!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Honestly, although I'm very new at the game at might change my opinion later, whatever system for using powers there would be I'd rather see powers' availability somewhat changed - as it is, I've chosen the Loki frame for its' supposed battlefield-controlling powers and there was quite a while until I could use all of them, and if I want to use some other useful mods I have to unequip powers anyway. I have a blueprint for a new and exciting Frame and I don't really want to craft because grinding for the space that I would have to have in order to even equip powers make me wary of something new (not to mention finding the skill cards). I'd like it better if the frames had all their powers unlocked at the start, or maybe at a certain levels or randomly, as it is now, just now make them use the same pool of points that an actual Frame modifications use. Then again, I only use the boring and tried powers and if I unequipped the Shield and Health mods I'd have enough points for all the powers, but I don't like the idea.

Also, is there a way (outside of checking the wiki and for alerts) what monetary rewards missions have? Or do Extermination and Assassinate always net around 1000 credits?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

All skill mods come with the frame once it is built or purchased.

Oh, I only have the starter Frame, but I have found many skill cards, so I assumed I'd have to find all of the skills that way - that's a relief, at least.

Big Floppy posted:

If you are on PS4 just find me in the clan or add me as a friend PSN: Aoasha. I am usually on a lot and running defense/survivals to level up things or farming for mats from bosses.

On a side note, I don't know what stalker uses but he kept on popping my iron skin off after each hit. I was able to keep reapplying/stomp each time but wow. Was excited since it was the first time he messaged me last night. Sadly no blueprints from him. Good thing I had 70% power effeciency on or else I would of been a dead with no energy.

I'm not averse to adding anyone who who would have me in their party, so I'll be sure to, thanks! I really should start to use my Guild connections more, anyway, running with random people can get very frustrating sometimes - not that I'm that much of a good player, but running a sabotage mission with 3 players and 3 different data cases because no one would drop theirs in order to combine them was a bit...suboptimal :v:

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 24, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
So what more is there to making new Frames than completing a Blueprint? I've claimed the Banshee chassis blueprint, thinking that this would give me a new Frame, but it doesn't - is it just a part of another, larger blueprint?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
No wonder people turn to outright buying the Frames using Platinum :v: Thanks!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
What's the point of ranking up mods that have one specific effect, like "Regen" for Sentinels? If it's going to revive once, what would I get for ranking the card up?

Also, should I keep the ability cards for other frames? Since every frame gets its own set automatically, I don't think they are of any value, but I've been holding onto ability cards for a few frames for a long time now I'm afraid to simply sell them :ohdear:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

I suppose that was a bit obvious, wasn't it :downs:? Still, I wouldn't begrudge a decision to add simple notes on cards, like "The higher the rank, the longer the effect/higher the HP after reviving/etc." Oh well.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

What's my best option for doing the Rank 2 (pistol) test, without using platinum guns? Buying an aklato and ranking it up? My regular lato does poo poo all for damage in regular missions, and I see quite a few people whine about this particular test.

I've actually done that test not too long ago with a regular Lato, it went far smoother than the Rifle one. My mods were Heated Charge (45% damage), some critical enhancing mod and something for ammo capacity. I thought it was very easy, though - the damage from the gun is on the low side, but so is the enemies' HP, especially those idiot Butchers.

Edit: now that I think about it, my shield was also about 300, so I could just stand around lining up headshots, which help massively to with handgun's low damage rate. Were I to run around and aim at the same time I would've probably fared much worse.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 18, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I need some technical help: it appears that the "strictNAT detected" problem might actually be a problem, only I didn't see it because no one was inviting me to game or party chats :v: And so, I tried to follow the "Help" in-game guidelines, but they seem to be conceived with PCs in mind - for example, it tells me to click on a gear button in the upper right, which I can't really do, playing on the PS4 and all. I am supposed to enable the uPnP (I think) ports and forward them to a specific IP, but Help is unhelpful and I have no idea how to do that. Obviously it can be done, because I could invite other people just fine. So, can anyone help me with that?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

DangerDan posted:

When I had trouble with this, I just changed what ports were used under the in-game options and things started working just fine. I'd give that a shot before any port-forwarding fuckery.

Right, but how do I do that on the PS4? The only menus I have available after pressing Options on the map are the social menus (Chat, Friends and Clan). Is it somewhere in the options I can access when in missions (in the menus in which I can change FoV, camera speed and such)?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

In PS4-land, you need to alter your router settings to let your PS4 through the firewall. This may be a colossal pain in the rear end, and the specific way you do this depends on your router. Good luck.

Inspector_666 posted:

If you enable UPnP on your router, you shouldn't need to manually set any ports since the point of UPnP is that programs will just say to the router "Hey, open these ports for my IP, thanks buddy."

I tried to choose different ports from the in-game menu, which didn't change a thing, now the game just wants me forward those other ports. Trying to enable whatever it is I'm to enable is too much for me, the guides I've found try to make me change my IP to static which I don't want to mess with and go through my router's service page which I can't find? I'm sure it's not so arcane a process as it seems to me, but I don't really get it, this is what playing on a console was supposed to prevent :saddowns: What a bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

What model router do you have? UPnP shouldn't care about your IP address either.

I have a Cisco EPR2320R2; I've tried typical Google searches: "[symbol] port forwarding" and the like, but to no avail - there are quite enough results, I just wasn't able to make use of any.