Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I don't know why, but I've started having insane FPS issues. The game literally becomes a slideshow whenever I'm not soloing.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Just to confirm something because I'm not quite clear on it, when you slot an elemental mod, you're going to be doing that damage each shot/burst/swing in addition to whatever physical damage, correct?

And the status chance is specifically for the special effects granted by the elemental mods?

No. All damage types have a status effect, and it seems to pick which effect to apply somewhat randomly. (It only applies 1 effect per proc.)

Impact: Knockback
Puncture: Weakened (reduced damage output)
Slash: Bleed (health reduced over time, healing blocked)

Fire: Ignited (fire damage over time)
Freeze: Slowdown
Electrical: Chain Electricity Damage
Poison: Poison DoT to health

Blast (fire+freeze): Knockdown
Radiation (fire+electrical): Confusion (Attacks and draws aggro from nearest enemy)
Gas (fire+poison): Toxin AOE
Magnetic (freeze+electrical): Penalty to max shields
Viral(freeze+poison): Penalty to max health
Corrosive (electric+poison): Penalty to armor

[courtesy of doorframe wiki]

edit: I'm pretty sure they also hosed up the maths on the status proc mods. I mean, why else would you have a mod that only adds 15% of your (already absurdly tiny) status proc chance instead of just adding 15% to the chance? Unless it's X% chance per proc per shot.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Diet Lime posted:

I decided to try this, because it looks like ME3's multi, which I like alot, but way more involved and awesome.

So far it's fun, but I want to make sure I am doing everything I need to be doing. Do I need to be using the codex scanner? Or does ti just give you useless "dictionary" entries?

You do get a rather hefty (although still somewhat not really worth the effort) bit of affinity for doing stealth scans. And if you scan enough to fill out the "useless" entries, it shows you weaknesses and rare drops. Or you could just use the Warframe wiki, and let poopsocking nerds do all the research for you.

But then think of all the entries in the codex that won't have gold stars. You want the gold stars, right?

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 26, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Terbulus posted:

50% off plat

Hotfix 11.1.2

Changes:

Fixed Grineer sawblade residing in the heads of the Anti Moa. We know the Corpus are trying to save money wherever possible, but their imports of Grineer Parts has caused them much embarrassment.
- Fixed issues where “Ceiing Fish” would occur in Dojo. This marks the end of Ceiling Fish’s times of horseplay.

Heh.

Please tell me we have video of the elusive ceiling fish.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Broniki posted:

New player here, my Dorito Gun has been rank 30 for a long time and now I want to switch to something else so I can get my rank up (currently 3). What primary should I move on to from the Braton?

Strun (a shotgun) is an interesting change of pace and dirt cheap to boot.
Paris (a bow) is interesting if flawed.
Burstron is good if you can swing burst fire guns.
Latron is something I've never used, but it's a semi-auto long rifle. Sniper mods work on it, I think? Nope, it's a rifle through and through.

edit: Braton/Latron Prime, as well as Dread are all Mastery 0 weapons. Those all take some doing (and a heaping helping of luck) to get though.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 30, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

How the gently caress do I beat Alad?

Shoot him a bit, then shoot his dog, then shoot him again.

The secret is that ZANUKA (such a dumb name) will jump over to revive him whenever he goes down, so you gotta kill his dog before you waste him.

Having a frame with strong AoE to deal with the junk he summons is also nice.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Switch Teleport isn't really very good for anything other than screwing with pubbies, and Radial Disarm has a few uses but on the ultimate scale it's down there with Necro and Valkyr.

Decoy + Switch Teleport is basically 50 energy (or less) for a LoS range teleport. Once you max Switch Teleport and fit a few power range mods or the Swindle hat (which you should grab anyway because it looks boss as hell) anyway.

The only change the Loki ult really needs is to do more damage to infested/any damage to previously disarmed dudes. It's brutal in PvP if you can get enough energy to use it. (Removes all energy/shields/prevents attacks for ~4 seconds, does like 200+ DMG to unshielded Tenno. Not that it matters any versus Rhino's 1.2k buffer or in the face of instagib-levels of damage, but it does something nifty.)

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 2, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Wheeee posted:

I've been playing this for about a week, logging in almost daily for short periods of time, and frankly this game deserves a low metacritic score.

There's a really fun game wrapped in a unique aesthetic here, but it's been buried under a mountain of shoddy programming and poor design decisions by the blatantly incompetent developers. Warframe is a great idea in dire need of a good developer.

DE aren't "blatantly incompetent". They made a bunch of highly questionable design decisions early on that they can't change now because it'd gently caress with everything they've done, implementing fundamental design changes would take forever, and they've got a revenue stream.

If you want "blatantly incompetent", look at companies such as PGI and whoever the gently caress is developing that TES mmo.

edit: To be clear, DE have definitely proven they're not a Grade-A studio with regards to solo projects. A quick look at their history shows this very clearly.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 2, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Diet Lime posted:

As a person who is itching to play MechWarrior Online the moment my 3-day Warframe bonus ends, I assure you that's wrong.

I tried uninstalling MWO earlier. It turns out that "the installer literally does not work" wasn't a joke.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

This is what I'm doing. It's frustrating though that something you get on Venus can't be built until you have half the solar system unlocked. gently caress, you can't even build the Seer pistol that you got on loving Mercury until you can get your hands on an Orokin Cell, which drops in loving Saturn, which is 3 planets away. They really should give you something to build other than the Cronus while you're ranking up. Hell, they should tell you that, "Hey, you got something you can build from killing Vor! Let's walk though the crafting system real quick!" once you get the Cronus blueprint.

Actually, raw potatoes have a (minor) chance to drop from any/every boss. They do drop more frequently on Saturn/Ceres/Void, but you can grind them off any boss.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

On the subject of mandatory cookie-cutter mods, where the hell can I get a serration? I've found like 5 fast hands and ammo drums and something like 12 well of lifes but never a single serration.

I had one drop for me in a Grineer asteroid survival on Earth earlier. Warframe wiki claims it drops from:
  • Grineer Scorpion
  • Infested Nauseous Crawler
  • Stalker
  • Tier 2 Defense Reward
  • Tier 1/2/3 Survival Reward
So do a bunch of Grineer survival/defenses on planets high enough to spawn lots of scorpions, I guess?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Coldbird posted:

If they're going to go to all the effort of totally overhauling the game like that, then why bother making it a patch - make it Warframe 2 and cash in on everyone having to buy into everything all over again.

Warframe: Tenno of the Orokin Empire.

edit:

chumbler posted:

That's what we all kind of expected corrupted mods to be. Instead we got a mix of mods that are an upside nobody cares about on an awful downside that is a loving 10 level rare mod (hi tainted magazine) or something with an insane upside and irrelevant downside that is trivially easy to level.

I harp on this a lot, but it's really becoming apparent to me that a good portion of DE's developers don't seem to actually play the game.

Rhino Vanguard Helmet. Literally takes away the Rhino's only weakness for an easily overcome penalty that doesn't really matter anyway.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Valatar posted:

So I've hit max level on my Excalibur and Braton and further experience is going entirely to waste. Does anyone have advice about which rifle is a step up from the Braton and is attainable at rank 2? I want to get an Ash frame, so have been heading towards Uranus to work on it; until I get the parts for that I'm sort of stuck gaining no more frame mastery for a while as I have no intention of dropping 275 plat for a frame.

The only other full-auto rifles at rank two and below are the Boltor and the Grataka. The former got hosed by the new damage system, and the latter is genuinely painful to use. So there's not really any weapon that's a "step up" from the Braton in the way it's a "step up" from the Mk-1.

The Burstron and Latron are sidegrades into burstfire and semi-auto rifles respectively, and the Strun is a solid shotgun. Paris is fun to use, but not really suited to the speed that groups tend to move at.

edit: Here's a list of weapons by mastery level.

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh a look a life support capsule! Outdoors. In atmosphere.

:downs:

Neptune and Mars are not known for their breathable atmospheres.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 5, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Physics damage isn't really a thing anymore. Stagger is instead a chance to proc from Impact damage, so if you want more Stagger put more +status % mods in your mallet.

Calling the impact "status effect" knockback is giving it too much credit. :colbert:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah, infested are pretty much a trivial joke. You can literally double the level of any given infested compared to either of the other two factions and they'll still be easier as long as your weapons don't suck.

Infested are my favorite faction to fight because they don't all have magical 1/2 damage protection on their bodies or shields (and shield ospreys), and are really weak vs. fire/slash; both of which are really easy to get a hold of early.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Infested don't really have a dangerous unit. If you get knocked down in a pack swarm yea i guess you'll die but eh. They really need a hulking monstrosity type to complement the ancients. maybe a ranged flying support unit that shoots poo poo at you. Stuff like that.

Moa Osprey reskin inbound.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 12, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Devor posted:

If I like the Braton, is there another rifle that's similar to it, but better? I like the slow-firing automatic aspect, so that I can pop out single shots when I want to, and hold it down for packs of stuff. I found a Grakata blueprint, and leveled it to 30, but I never liked how out of control the firing was, and the fact that I would constantly run out of ammo, even when being conservative with it.

The only other automatic rifles are:
  • Braton Prime - I hope you like running the same void mission 10 times to get the last part you need. And the 10 raw potatoes.
  • Gorgon - Availible now only as a login reward. Not really that good.
  • Soma - Eh, it's an automatic rifle. Haven't used it yet, it's Mastery 6 and takes a bunch of junk to craft.

Hind is quite good, or so I've heard. It's a burstfire gun though, so it might not be your cup of tea.

Clocks posted:

Since we're all asking for weapon suggestions, what's a good late-game/end-game secondary?

I've been using a kunai this whole time and it will mow down everything except harder enemies in the later voids/missions, and I feel like I shouldn't rely on it forever. I'm leveling up an ignis that I've built on a random suggestion and liking it a lot so far, so the idea is that I will finally have a primary weapon I can switch to while I level a secondary that doesn't suck. I realize that getting the best out of a weapon will also involve me having the proper mods and all but what are some I should look at?

Viper has been surprisingly effective so far, it's accurate for a machine pistol and does good damage. You can take it and turn it into a dual viper when you max it out too. Magnus also looks nifty. 20% crit/status before mods, up to 44% crit chance and/or 25%(?) status chance with mods.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Rubicon posted:

I had a mission, which started solo, and some voice started talking about vengeance and being my death. Then a tenno looking thing appeared and killed me. Is that the Stalker?

Yes. Stalker has a <5% chance of spawining in any mission after you do an assassination run on these bosses:
  • Hek
  • Ruk
  • Kril
  • Tyl
  • Anyo

Beating Stalker (or getting beaten) clears the "Stalker Hates You" flag.

The Duggler posted:

How long will a Warframe stay in the foundry as built? Forever or will it eventually get eaten up?

I've had my Mag Prime in the oven for the past month or more, still there. So probably forever.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Denzine posted:

Hotfix 11.3.3

Changes:
- Rollback much of minimap changes – back to clear and minimalist!

Why would you remove the best part of the new patch, DE?

edit: VV That makes some sense. VV

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 14, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Terbulus posted:

Where do we go for power levelling now?

Cyath is still a nice fat exp piñata. Just pick a place with resources you want and run mobdef or survivals.

I had my Galt jump from 10 to 23 after two near-40 survival runs on Saturn and a couple T3 keys. Having a Trinity perma-invuln your group rocks.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Interception is the worst loving mode and I am glad that they put it on a planet I've already done every mission on.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Shugojin posted:

These loving traps are such an annoying pain in the rear end :argh:

They don't really add anything, I don't know why DE bothered putting them in.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Male Man posted:

Grineer have door traps now, too.

The door traps don't even really do anything but slow you down for two seconds while you aim at the scanner/cameras. Then again, "who thought this was a good idea" seems to be DE's design motto.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Vriess posted:

It bugs out Excalibre Prime because it is also a helmet skin.

You should be able to equip the Excaliber helmet on your "I payed way too much into Warframe" suit. Assuming that it works like Mag Prime, anyway.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Those new mods that will change stances will either be incredibly obnoxious to get or there will only be one "right" one worth using or something. I have to believe in DE! There must be a way for them to ruin this!

Wait, those are gonna be mods rather than just a thing you can select in the armory?

That's pretty :de: already.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Unless Melee 2.0 changes melee combat away from "Mash the single melee button as fast as you can or sometimes hold down the button if you're using a Galatine" it's going to be effectively the same thing as making it a fancy mod that slightly changes your animation.

Worst case scenario: DE makes all melee attacks knock you down unless you block them.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Have you played Darksiders. That's pretty much what I'm envisioning. It's a fairly simple system, but it has enough variation where some attacks are good against groups and others against single targets, etc.

I'd rather they go DMC or Jedi Knight with the system, but Darksiders 1-style combat would be a welcome improvement.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Revives are actually 4-per-Warframe, who knew?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

Anyone who read the OP, hopefully.

Guess I didn't read it as thoroughly as I thought. :doh:

AndroidHub posted:

I really wish DE would at least try and inform players about at least a few important things, like affinity sharing range, and similar core gameplay mechanics. I have to tell pubbies about that any time I make the poor choice of playing a survival without setting it to private or getting a group of friends/goons.

There's a range on affinity sharing? Learning all sorts of new things today.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Holy gently caress DE please remove Morphics from all mission reward tables and replace them with things that people actually need for things, like raw potatoes.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Carecat posted:

The resource tables are hosed sideways but as long as a couple of critical resources like cells, sensors and now oxium are annoying enough to grind that people waste money in the store it works out fine for DE!

Now the hilariously high cost of resources on the market makes sense after reading a post where someone added them up, it's so it costs as much to build a blueprint with purchased resources as it does to buy it outright for platinum.

Does that include the plat to rush the construction in the ultimate "gimme now"?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Apparently the rescue target dude just jams the throwing knife holsters into his thighs. Also note holding the knives like a gun.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

doomfunk posted:

I view swapping my weapons out constantly for quick mastery as much more of a grind than hitting reset on a gun I already really really like. If a gun's a joy to fire, it's a joy to fire.

It's a good thing mastery ranks beyond 6 basically don't matter at all!

necrobobsledder posted:

If pulling out melee weapons lets you block incoming fire better, we will probably pick up swords more. I figure if in a fantasy game like the Witcher you can deflect arrows as an enhanced human as a Tenno you can deflect goddamn machine gun rounds with your blades. I find it hard to believe that we're thousands of years in the future and the largest military force in the galaxy will continue to be heavily reliant on melee weapons against enemies that are melee gods and goddesses.

DE please make next melee weapon a chainsaw-sword, not some dumb weaboo katana.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

You already can, kind of - hold block for a second in front of gunfire. It's not perfect, but the animation is there.

If you use the reflection mod on your Warframe, you can apparently reflect a percentage of damage from basically anything while blocking. A percentage of the post-armor reduction damage. Which is then modified by the attacker's armor. While taking full damage from whatever's attacking you because blocking doesn't do anything at the moment.

Reflection is reportedly great for messing with people in conclaves, though. Tenno are very squishy unless you're a tankframe or invulnerable.

KARMA! posted:

There's also the parry mod that'll deflect some.

Parry doesn't reduce damage taken or make blocking anything more than a silly knockdown gimmick vs. infested or other melee at the moment.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 31, 2014

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Denzine: it works, tested it on the War alert earlier today for the sniper scav.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

DE devs start sending you abusive PMs if you use a weapon at level 30 for too long.

Lotus should send you increasingly passive-aggressive mails if you keep leveling stuff with a mastery test already unlocked and not attempted.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'd say if you don't have it by tomorrow just buy the Thrakk hat from the store, it really just puts Rhino Prime on another, even higher level.

So has there been any new solid info about DE's plan for hats, or is it all still plat-hat-purchase-instigating-rumor?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I should probably do that too. Whats good for farming Neurodes?

Trying to farm for cells in ODA will give you a bunch. :negative:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

hooah posted:

How long has the Warframe website been down? I read about the updates to the teaser site during the day and was looking forward to seeing it this evening, but now I can't.

It's back I think.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I'm guessing they'll move Hek to Neptune and put Tyl Raybong on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
If for some godforsaken reason you're awake right now, there's a rifle amp alert up on Mars.