Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Got an Oberon cooking and a Rhino and Mag ready to go. How should I be modding them? What are the dump stats, what are the must-haves, and why?

I'm relatively new (100 hrs), but I'm finding it isn't hard. Basically every build is just picking an ability you like and choosing Ability mods to min-max it. Run Flow and Streamline on goddamn everything. Vitality is never bad, nor are armor mods on frames with good armor. If things are dying and you aren't, you're doing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hey guys, what are the good rifles for crit builds? I'm currently using Soma and really liking it, wondering if there's better out there for that playstyle. Thinking about building the Amprex specifically, but don't want to waste the Fieldron if it's secretly rear end.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

The Amprex is the furthest thing from "secretly rear end" you can get. Build your chain lightning gun with a clear conscience.

Edmond Dantes posted:

My son. Have you not heard the word of Tenora?

DoombatINC posted:

The Tenora, Synapse, Amprex and Baza are all available in the dojo and also are all very good

Thanks for the help! Sadly I forgot to check the MR on the rifles and I'm still at 7, so I'll have to build the Baza for now. The silence also seems dope with Loki who is rapidly becoming my no 2 frame after Rhino.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

Baza feels great imo, so even if it's not ~the best~ I still use it sometimes.

As long as it packs as much or more punch as the Soma, I'm happy.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Is it best to always have 2-3 elemental mods on a crit weapon? I've noticed there's a lot of mods that up raw damage and crit, to the point where I'm choosing between those and elementals. I know Serration, Barrel Diffusion, Point Strike, and Vital Sense are the basic must-haves, but is it viable to just focus on these 4 stats and ignore elements?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I wish forma'ing Warframes wasn't such a chore compared to weapons. My Rhino could really use a couple, but I just can't bring myself to put in the work.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

dude is an eidolon vampire with a fuckin plasma beard

This looks a lot like a ghost version of the Abyss Watchers from Dark Souls III.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I just picked up Vigor from an Alert, is it any good? It seems a little anemic to me.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

kxZyle posted:

After today's reactor vs. reactor invasion I saw a couple calls for more catalysts on Discord. So :siren:giveaway time:siren::

Quote this post to receive four Orokin Catalysts. To qualify, you need to be at or below MR20 and on PC. Limited to eight people.

User name is same as here.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Can goons recommend some new (non vaulted) secondary weapons for me to build? Currently I'm using the Lex Prime and Twin Grakatas, and while they're rad, I want some more diversity in that slot.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

If you could just interact with terminals inside cataclysm, that would solve a lot of the frustration with bad limbos.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sikreci posted:

MR7 nub question: what weapons in the game are garbage and not worth a single forma or potato? There's so many cool weapons I want to try out but I have a hard time figuring out what's good and what's trash at this point where I'm still lacking a lot of powerful mods from vaults and stuff. Like, I've wanted to love the Boltor, Latron, and Vasto but found them kind of meh and never touched them again after mastering them. Then there's guns like the Sobek, Tonkor, and Furis that I thought would be meh that I turned out to love, so I don't know what's good or not or even how to evaluate what's good beyond "my feelings".

I just Google or look at YouTubers rating weapons to give me an idea of what's good. Usually there is a consensus on what's MR junk and what's worthwile; beyond that bar it's mostly experimentation and what works for you.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Thread help, my friend who has so far given me very solid advice I see oft repeated, but hes telling me to finish my star chart and finish the story before I bother with any other warframes (I have excal and trinity prime).

Now I just got to mercury and got my first story bit, but my problem is I want warframes. All of them. Like I can farm for Rhino and I've told my friend I'm getting Mirage no matter what he says but I dont know...

Hey, if you want to take a break from unlocking junctions, go for it. Rhino is amazing, as is Loki, I'd recommend building those soon as you can.

slow_twitch posted:

Man I must have really missed some vital info about the sentinel enemies. I have a 4 forma amprex and 3 forma atomos but the sentinels in the sacrifice mission just sponged it all up. I felt like you were supposed to be badass when you get Umbra but I almost died lol...

Two words: Arca. Plasmor. Also having a secondary with different damage types from your primary is great.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Thank you everyone, I have three open slots so I'm probably going Rhino and Hydroid while saving a space for Mirage. Loki looks fun but I dont know if I can play him right lol

Loki's actually pretty easy; you press 2 and go to town, and use 4 as a panic button.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

Also, use 1 to tell the enemies where to stand when you kill them, and use 3 for clutch saves and tight stunts :c00l:

I don't even bother with that; the only time I use 1 and 3 is to teleport through laser wires on corpus spy missions. Probably not MLG Pro to do that, but I still crush sorties, so w/e.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Then try Harrow, or Nidus, or Ivara. :smithicide:

Ivara's not that bad; you just run spy missions whenever you want to farm weapon affinity, and eventually bam, you're done.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I want an explosion-themed Frame first. Passive is no-self-damage. #4 power triples AoEs for the duration.

Or how about DE just takes out self-damage, or at least greatly reduce it, and let us have our fun.

I want to use the Kulstar more, but god drat.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FunkyFjord posted:

Paris Prime is plenty good early on if you're a fan of bows. And the Lex Prime, poo poo it isn't fancy at all but it gets a lot of work done. The Hek is a great choice for your first potato. The Lex Prime is a great second candidate, and the only reason you shouldn't put one in it is if you really want to buy an aklex bp and link, make another Lex P, and then get that sweet Aklex Prime.

The (ak)lex and it's prime versions are my favorite all-round secondaries in the game. This is in part because I like beams and shotguns for my primaries, but still, they are great.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Redundant posted:

Speaking of void fissure missions, what is the general consensus on glamming up relics? I tended to just go max glam and drat the expense but now I have a backlog of higher tier relics and :drat:, the expense!

Only having the tiny bars and no numbers to work out probability changes is kind of a pig for figuring out the best bang for your buck. I am out of vaulted relics (I think) so no obvious targets for now.

Always go radiant or go home. And as was said, make sure to check your void traces now and again to make sure you're not capped and wasting them.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Redundant posted:

I just sell my max rank weapons. Just check its not used in a blueprint before you sell it. If you have a really good weapon you can use forma to reset a weapon to level 0 again and add a polarity. You won't get any MR for levelling it up again though and forma are fairly rare/useful so I'd wait before worrying too much about using one.

The Hek is my only exception to this right now. I still need to put a catalyst into it and ask in clan chat for some nice shotgun mods. Ok, I am done shilling for the hek now I promise.

e: beaten.

You don't even need to worry about Forma until your mods are nearly all maxed or close to it, so it's not even a concern until late game. I don't think I used Forma at all until I started doing Sorties and wanted to go that extra mile.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

The problem with Hek is you'll never want to use any other primaries available to lowbies and will take forever to get your MR up.

Flip side, once you have Sedna open and Loki made, leveling primaries for MR is trivial. It does mean more "pure" grinding, but I think I prefer that to using inferior weapons and using potatoes on weapons that won't last to the end game.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shredder posted:

What makes Loki good for leveling stuff? I've been working on it just for the invis since the first riven mod I got is "complete an exterminate without being detected with a movement debuff" which sounds boring/tedious as gently caress

The best way to grind affinity for weapons is the Sedna spy mission (Kappa iirc) and Loki trivializes it, and his high sprint speed makes it faster to boot.

It is tedious but you can get a weapon from 0 to 30 in about half an hour (8 runs) with no booster.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 25, 2018

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's formerly the best way. onslaught is better for grinding exp nowadays, and odds are there's someone with a warcrime saryn soloing every public match you enter so it doesn't matter if you bring junk.

Oh cool, I'll try that next time I forma.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

So what’s a good way to farm Axi relics?

Xini on Eris drops them guaranteed on the 3rd and 4th round.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

I'm getting my rear end kicked on the quest where I need to kill a bunch of mimics to chase umbra. Tried it with my rhino and with the Hek and a Lenz. I'm level 9, should I just cool it until I've got better weapons?

Bringing a primary and secondary with different damage types works well. Especially if they're high damage per shot weapons.

MR 10 gives you the Arca Plasmor, which is ideal for this and is dope in general, so waiting isn't the worst.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, that's part of the beauty of it. You can work on something for a while, then go "forget this" and go do something else. Tired of farming cells? You probably need kuva or ducats anyway. Tired of that? I'm sure there's a gun you can try out in Onslaught. "Man, gently caress Onslaught" you say? We just got a bunch of Tau mods, Index credits and Rathuum endo are calling.

Yeah, I agree with this. There is an element of grind to be sure, but there's a great variety in modes and the fundamental gameplay is fun so it never gets old.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MisterFuzzles posted:

Speaking of Archwing garbage, is there any general newbie friendly setup much like Rhino and the Hek for doing any of it? I've coasted by on most alerts or the like by being carried.

I have also not constructed a single extra part outside of what was needed to progress.

Amesha is basically unkillable, like the Rhino of archwing. Fluctus and Centaur are the best weapons; sadly their parts are sold by the syndicates but they're not too much plat. Otherwise, Grattler is good. Good news is when you do have this setup you totally trivialize all archwing content, and then it's kinda fun. Well, when you're not bumping into walls at least.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I've been building all the sentinels for MR, and am running out of room and don't want to pay for more slots. What are the absolute garbage sentinels/weapons I can safely get rid of? Or are they all worth keeping for niche purposes?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

NovaLion posted:

I got Trinity Prime through the Twitch bundle, and I don't really enjoy her. What are the "strong" frames currently, that are more offensive-based?

Saryn and Ember are good AoE frames if you want your abilities to do tons of numbers. Excalibur and Mesa kill things very dead with exalted weapons. Mirage can output truly absurd damage with self-buffs. Loki and Rhino are good choices if you want to pack some CC with your high damage. That's not exhaustive, but those are the frames I have experience with and can say confidently are generally good.

Nova is also very offensive, in the sense that she offends with how good Molecular Prime is. (obligatory plug for my favorite frame)

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Draxion posted:

There's so much weird abandoned poo poo in this game. Like, do Solar Rails do anything any more? Some of the only stuff we don't have researched are the specter defenses for those, which I assume is because they were always dumb and not worth the time. But it feels weird that they're still technically in.

I've been playing some with my friends lately, and while I've logged in for a week every six months or so for five years they played for a bit in 2014 and a bit in 2016 and the early game is just entirely nonsense for them. And explaining why you have to do certain stuff like Junctions or building an Archwing is exhausting, mainly because there's so much of it and I have no idea when or why it showed up. Junctions are a bad example because they actually give you goals if you bother to read them, but you know what I mean.

I introduced a friend to WF about 2 months ago, and yesterday he asked me "So I got my first Riven, and it's for the Amprex. Is that good?" and to answer that question I had to explain two game systems and another resource.

WF is maybe the least elegant game in history. What a beautiful mess.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Roman posted:

Get Ash Prime free by watching Tennocon on Twitch this Saturday for 30 minutes (if you have Twitch Prime)

https://twitter.com/PlayWarframe/status/1014970053933101057

Hot drat!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

nerdz posted:

The only thing that I hate about the operator is how poorly coded it is, regarding netcode. If you're the slightest bit laggy, playing with overseas people the delay between switching in and out of operator can make it unplayable. Why not simply code it as an always on extension of the frame, so it doesn't rely on network latency to activate?

The Evolution Engine is made to run on toasters, and it was never meant to have anything like the Operator, so there's certainly got to be a lot of weirdness going on under the hood.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Lunimeow posted:

So the best place to grind out Warframe levels is hydron on sedna right? Because I finished my entire backlog of weapons via onslaught but I still have lots of frames to go.

That's what I do at least, and it goes pretty fast.

MarcusSA posted:

Like two questions.

First the discord link the OP seems to be expired I went through the last like 15 pages and didn't see a new one so could someone toss one up?

Second is there any reason to install this via steam vs their website? Like do they ever have sales on the steam stuff or is that just the standard stuff on their website.

Third Controller or M/KB? I tried both and I'm really not sure on either haha. Maybe I need a better controller to get a better feel for it.

Fourth if someone eventually wanted to spend money on the game whats the best thing for a brand new player to "invest" in.

Not sure about Q1.

I think there might be some steam-specific bundles that have happened before, but I'm not sure. At any rate, doesn't really hurt to install it via steam.

M/KB will always be superior for MLG PRO aiming, but I prefer controller and it's never been an issue or held me back.

Slots for warframes and weapons for sure, and I would unlock the Saturated Colors palette which just by itself will give you a lot of appearance customization.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 8, 2018

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shredder posted:

You people saying Inaros is easy and quick obviously didn't get the stupid loving bursa for the last step

Not that I'm bitter or anything :argh:

I just slapped the jar on and played the game normally until I got it. It's easy that way, it just takes a long time.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I´ve been playing this game for the last two weeks and I´m having a goddamn blast. I´ve currently reached Saturn and unlocked Excalibur, Rhino and Frost as my current Frames. What Frame should I go for next?

Seconding getting Loki when you get to Neptune, he's easy to get and a huge gamechanger on spy, rescue, and capture missions. If you're really burning for something right now, Nova (Europa boss) is one of my favorite frames for defense, mobile defense, survival, and interception, her 4 turns the game into easy mode. She's also part of the optimal resource farming composition, so it can open doors there.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 9, 2018

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SettingSun posted:

New player here. Been playing for about 20 hours and just got to Jupiter. Now I have 3 new warframes in the oven now that I can get the parts to make the parts and the game is finally beginning to click. I'd like to say I know what I'm doing but the sheer number of things going on in this game is staggering. I'm taking it one thing at a time. Game is good.

I see you can trade stuff for platinum. Is that a reliable way to acquire it or is that just supplementary to paying for it directly? What's worth trading?

You can definitely get plat just by trading, though it's a little tedious. The most valuable things are desirable prime parts and rare mods; if you want easy plat, farm for corrupted mods. They are mods with big upsides with a downside: 6 go for 20+ plat each and a couple more sell for 10. They are also mods you really want yourself, and it doesn't require you to fight high level enemies or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OYfbIXljlA

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hey, what are people running for Ash builds? Really having fun with him as my dedicated melee character. I do have the instant finisher mod, because yeah, but otherwise I'm not sure what to focus on.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Xenthalon posted:

Oh man, just started playing this on the weekend due to the gaming drought, and boy oh boy has this game become fun since the beta. Just unlocked my Rhino, having a blast blitzing down corridors shooting things with my shotgun while sliding on my knees.

If the clan/guild offer from the OP is still current, I'm playing as Xenthalon, an invite would be nice. Already made some friends though, the community seems really helpful and chill.

The general community is great, I think I've encountered a shitheads about once every 100 hours, no exaggeration.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tips for fighting the dudes that guard the sector gates?

I've basically been cheesing them all real hard with the Mag's second ability cause it basically prevents them from hitting me. But if I try to use any other frame I usually only last a couple of seconds while they're shooting at me.

I get that I can just keep dunking on them real hard with that Mag ability, but I'm wondering what the hell I would have done if I didn't pick Mag as my first frame.

I picked Volt first, so I cheesed with his shields and stun, and with Frost after that, but if you keep leveling your mods your damage scales to the point where you vaporize them, especially with good weapons like the Hek or Soma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

What's a good shotgun frame?

All of them, some just want different shotguns than others. I'm being kinda facetious, but shotguns are so drat good and diverse in this game it really doesn't narrow it down too much. If you're talking about a stereotypical shotgun like the Hek, any frame with good survivability will do you well. Loki's also great since his invisibility makes it so you can get close safely and covers your reload downtime, but that's just Loki being amazing rather than a real synergy.