Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so I built a Nyx, now what the hell do I do with it? I've heard it's really good in defense missions, but I still don't understand the playstyle after a few hours. Like, I get that it's a support class, but my allies (pubbies, at least, my clan's getting better about it) just murder my mind controled targets and everything's dead before Absorb goes off half the time. Chaos is superbly useful, but honestly, I'd rather just throw a Bastille down and just murder things with a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nyx is a fun frame. Too bad people always seem to kill Mind Controlled ancients first.

I know! What the hell? I try to get the most gnarly monster I can (toxic ancient, minigunner, etc) and they just get murdered straight up while other monsters kill that player.

Does kind of seem like I need to pick whether I want to juice up Absorb or Chaos/Mind Control. Thanks for the input everyone!

At least people get on the train with the Vauban's "these are cool for now, murder them once everything else is dead." Also, it gets people's attention because my energy on the Vauban is hot pink. :sparkles:

So far I've run a Excalibur (didn't really like it), a Rhino (:hellyeah: Rhino), a Vauban (:science: fantastic), and a Nyx (neat, but not amazing). What's a good next frame to mix it up? I was looking at the Nova, it looks really neat. I think a bit burst damage character would do the job, but I'm open to suggestions.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

seiferguy posted:

I'm on the PS4 version of Warframe. I finally started figuring out how to use the Foundry, and built my clan key so I can finally go to the Dojo when I get home :) If there are any other PS4 Warframe goons that want to add me my PSN ID is Seiferguy

So far I've made it past Earth using my Excalibur. Got a Braton as my primary weapon. I'm kind of conservative with my upgrades. Should I be more spendy with them?

Any other general advice at this point? I still don't have a sentinel. Mainly because I'm missing components to build one :(

Mods are key to how effective you are. I end up broke a lot from going hardcore on fusions. Certain mods are more generally useful than others, but you definitely want to rank up the frame powers you use ASAP.

As for general advice, learn how to work with the parkour system. A lot of the areas are designed around using it to cover a lot of ground quickly, so once you get the hang of it, you can really tear rear end around and get into good positions for power use and just general flanking.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Denzine posted:

Ogris is still a rocket launcher.

Penta owns btw.

owns super hard.

I just got to rank 6 and picked one of those up, it's fantastic. I'm guessing I just stack as much crazy bullshit as I can on it? I've been using shotguns (mostly the Hek, but the Sobek with Tainted Shell is impressing me), but it's a perfect weapon for my Vauban.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

sleeptalker posted:

The weird thing about the Penta is it seems to do equal damage to everything in its blast radius. Ogris and Thunderbolt explosions both have falloff, but something right at the edge of a Penta blast takes as much damage as something in the center.

This and the weird bouncing (and the lag problems mentioned) make it pretty dangerous to use, but it's still the best weapon.

Yeah, I've gibbed myself with it one or twice already, but drat is it satisfying just lobbing a grenade into a group and just exploding everything. Combine with a Nova for explosions everywhere.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wouldn't have minded the MK-1 Braton being mediocre if the Lato wasn't such an unmitigated piece of poo poo. Seriously, you need a decent starter sidearm.

I think they could improve the starting experience a bit by offering some basic weapons of each type to pick from. Offer an AR, a shotgun and a bow/sniper for primary, a semi-auto pistol, a hand cannon, and throwing weapon for secondary, and hell, keep the Skana, it's a solid enough idea for a starting melee weapon.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Penta is fantastic, really enjoyable. It's probably my favorite gun. You can get on top of the pillars in Derelict Defenses and become an artillery piece. With an Affinity booster, I got my newly Forma'd Nyx back to Rank 15 in one 20-wave run while barely moving.

Oh yeah, thanks to the wiki I managed to get a Fever Strike off of Sharpless. Second run with a buddy of mine in a Nekros. Some guy wanted 40 plat for it and I found one in about 15 minutes. Now they'll be worthless, given the Cicero rewards, but hey, what are you gonna do.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 24, 2013

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Flipswitch posted:

The only thing with the penta is I refused to stop jump sliding into my explosions and got killed more than once for it. :v:

Oh, I get gibbed by my own grenades all the time. One bad bounce and you're on the ground. I keep having issues with the Stug, too, but that's part of the appeal.

The appeal of having skillz. :c00l:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Does anyone know offhand if the bundles of weapons come with slots/catalysts? They Grineer Assault bundle for 149 plat is pretty tempting.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Echophonic posted:

Does anyone know offhand if the bundles of weapons come with slots/catalysts? They Grineer Assault bundle for 149 plat is pretty tempting.

I answered my own question buy just going for it, they do come with both, which is nice. The Kraken is pretty fun. So 3 decent weapons, 3 slots, and 3 reactors for 149 credits.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah, that's why stuff like Excal/Volt/Loki and the sentinels are actually pretty okay deals to just buy outright with plat: pre-slotted, pre-potatoed, and you skip the build time/resource cost.

I'm still not a huge fan of that particular pack, even discounted, but it's not a completely awful deal I guess.

Well, the guns in it looked neat, plus I was basically out of new weapons for Mastery points. I think it worked out. I do like the Amphis slam attack, though, nice high stun proc.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, the Syndana and the Vauban skin was the only ones I cared about (and got for a total of like 4 bucks on the first day). It's also pretty funny that two of the Tigris skins sold for 165 bucks each the other day.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there a bottom limit on reload time or charge time? I have a maxed (+60% fire rate) Speed Trigger and a little extra from Shred on my Lanka and the charge time never drops below 0.7 in the interface. I have a similar issue on my Vectis. Now, it's entirely possible the UI isn't showing the right values, but it doesn't seem like stacking the two is getting me anything extra.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've found uses for a bunch of Auras. Infested Impedance has a noticeable effect, even with just one maxed one. Corrosive Projection definitely helps, too, I run it on my Nova for maximum boom on M. Prime. Energy Siphon is still the most generally useful, though, but the others have their places.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
What is the deal with the Banshee? I gave in and bought it because I'm loving sick of Derelict Defenses and I'm not totally sure how to get the most out of it yet. Any tips? Silence is exactly as useless as it seems, right?

Sonar seems like a pretty solid support tool, and Sound Quake is pretty impressive, even with just Stretch. I'm sure I'll figure it out after a day or two, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

As it stands, I think my favorite frame is a toss-up between the Nyx and the Vauban, with the Nova in a close second. I did a Cicero run with some of my clan-mates and I love how Chaos just trivializes most defensive missions. I still have a few basic frames left to get (Ash, Loki, and Frost), but it seems like every frame has its place. My least favorite so far is the Excal. I guess I just like more control-heavy frames.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was under the impression those also gave you some Mastery for your account, so you get a little even if you're running all Rank 30 stuff.

Thanks for the input on the Banshee stuff! I figured Sonar was the winner out of that set, but I'm enjoying the others, except for silence, too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I am really impressed with the Sicarus Prime. I liked the original, but it was never a competitor to the hand cannons. The Magnus was at the top of my sidearm list until I got the S Prime. Totally worth the effort to get. Next up: Dakra Prime. I don't need those 15 cells for anything. Then maybe the Reaper Prime?

If you're stuck for a secondary to try out, I can't say enough good about the Magnus. It's really accurate and hammers things pretty well. The Ether Reaper is a realy fun melee option, too. Really quick and has pretty stylish animations. I'm hoping I can get my hands on a Reaper Prime or a Hate to keep the scythe train rolling. They have candy cane skins, which is fantastic. Looks nice with my fake-Prime Soma and Sicarus Prime.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've bought a few frames and don't really regret it. The Rhino is basically why I stuck with the game, the 4 day wait to build it legit would probably have made me quit. The Vauban, Volt, and Banshee are all pains in the rear end to get the parts for. The Banshee, especially, was worth some promo plat to save me having to do Infested defenses for days. The Volt's just a a good deal, ends up being like 35 plat for the frame after the slot and the reactor, plus it's crazy fun.

M. Prime is a goddamned horrorshow and makes you feel like a god of war every time it goes off. I'm still a big fan of the Nyx, though. Chaos/M Prime is a hell of a combo, too, so that's nice.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 7, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

InfinityComplex posted:

So Drakgoon trip report: It's a loving bow, that uses shotgun mods, with rifle ammo. And currently no damage falloff.

Sounds pretty good to me. I am looking forward to a new shotgun, actually. Been using the Soma and I need something with some crunch for murdering stuff.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

necrobobsledder posted:

I think a weirder mod to farm for is Stormbringer, which is kind of a staple on rifles I'd imagine. I had like 20 of those at a time and just fused them together eventually, but now you can only get them from a corpus T3 defense... and Grineer Ballistas, which are possibly rarer than Powerfists and Flameblades. So after plowing through a ton of planets, you only get them by chance in a random defense mission? That's just messed up.

Mod rarity having no bearing upon how easy it is to acquire it kind of bugs me.

Yeah, it's kind of strange how that works. I'm up to my rear end in rares of various types, but like 2 weeks in the void and I've found ONE Guardian.

I am officially done with Void Exterminates. My Frost Prime and Dakra Prime are building as we speak. :getin:

Edit: Make that built, my Dakra Prime is done and it looks sick as all hell.

Helter Skelter posted:

My tip for Shotgun Spazz:

Skip it. Accelerated Blast is way better and much easier to obtain by just running nightmare missions on Venus or whatever.

Accelerated Blast and Tainted Shell turn the Sobek into a killstick, levels out the impact and puncture damage to make it a solid all-around shotgun. Hard to do AND have elements without Formas, but it's FUN.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 10, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

seiferguy posted:

One of these days I will get a void exterminate that drops the frost prime systems!

You should have been running with me all week. I ended up with like 3, too like 15 or so run to get my last Dakra Prime part. If we could trade I'd give you an extra.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Elysiume posted:

It's over now.

Is there any way to tell what weapons you've maxed after you sell it, or should I write it down for if I ever decide to grind mastery?

Check your Codex. It has your progress for every weapon in the game, with a star if you've gotten it to level 30.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Valatar posted:

Built Latron and Burston Prime, with Mag and Frost Prime in the oven, and found a Dakra blade. :toot:

Now just need to grind T1 exterminates for the blueprint and farm up fifteen cells to make Dakra Prime. :negative:

But I want my multihit gold space saber, so I'm going to do it anyways. They'd better really fix melee in the melee 2.0 thing; I'll be unhappy if the gold space saber's never more than a decoration on my frame's back.

[Edit: Oh, and I think Valkyr sucks fairly hard. The Spiderman power is the only thing she has that's of any real use, her shields are godawful, and her high armor is meaningless. Her scream power just buffs melee speed, her stun power drains her own already-crappy shield reserves to use, and her ultimate isn't bad but is worse than most. Plus the double-V polarity slots are useless on her, so she more or less requires at least one forma straight out of the box.]

The Dakra is actually pretty good. Does an assload of damage if you get in close, just rips things in half. Also looks stylish as gently caress.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still need to level my starting Excalibur to 30. I bought the Rhino and never looked back. The only basic frame I have left to build is the Ash, too. Well, the basic Frost, too, but I have a Frost Prime, so I'll go back to that later.

Oh yeah, pro-tip, get a Loki for the Rank 9 stealth challenge. It loving SUCKS without Invisibility, but is utterly trivial with it. I tried a few times with the Banshee, but as far as I can tell, Silence picks a random target in range, so I kept getting busted. Really lovely, broken power.

SilentW posted:

Banshee is terrible. No direct damage except her ult, which sucks horribly, Silence is utterly worthless, and Sonar is only useful if you're playing with people on Mumble. Also, 2 V polarity slots mean she is gimped as gently caress without 2 Forma.
Saryn is great, I've heard, and Nekros is of limited utility but owns bones in survival.

Sonar isn't even that good. I have mine up to an 800% damage boost and it's still barely worth my time. On the other hand two attack affinities means Focus and Blind Rage :getin:

The Saryn is fun, her ult is just a wave of death and her other powers are pretty fun once you get the hang of them.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 13, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ruddha posted:

Valkyr would be cool if her ult added a teleport to mob component on melee. DBZ fighting

Isn't that basically the Ash's ult?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just started the parts builds for my Ash. After messing with the Loki, I'm looking forward to trying another really mobile frame. I usually play more support, like Nyx, Vauban or Nova. The latter is pretty quick, but nothing like the Loki.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I get that Nova has teleport but I'd hardly call M-Prime "support"

Pretty sure Nova is second fastest to Loki so temper your expectations, I suppose.

Fair enough, the Nova's a pretty offensive and fast frame. I mean, my favorite frame is probably my Chaos-focused Nyx, so anything more active than that is fine by me. I've just been running the Nova to make my Void runs less painful.

My Vauban or Frost Prime would do the same thing, just with fewer explosions and a lot slower. I was mostly just referring to frames that are better on the outskirts of combat making everyone else's life easy, as compared to the Rhino/Excal/Ember who do best in the thick of things.

I can't like the Ash less than the Excalibur, Mag, or Ember, really.

I really hope they do a Nyx Prime, I could probably be persuaded to do Prime Access for that.

Washin Tong posted:

Room clearing ults don't instakill things at a very high level, so those wave 40+ enemies will keep shooting at you/the cryopod and you will die. Chaos never loses effectiveness and stops everyone from trying to kill you.

THis really can't be stressed enough. I don't even bother with Absorb, since making that better takes away from my range or duration for Chaos. I may trade duration for efficiency, though, since you'll get situations where you'll have one guy left with Chaos on.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If I was recommending some early-game weapons, I'd have to suggest the Boltor or Karak for lower levels, then the Hek or Sobek for Rank 4. The Hek is a serious gun for serious people. Serious people serious about murder.

For secondaries, I have to throw my weight behind the Magnus. It's a really solid, balanced hand cannon, really good at just wrecking whatever you point it at. The Aklato are also surprisingly solid and fun, too, given how awful the Lato is. The Lex and Aklex are both not recommended by me, especially the latter. I couldn't wait to get rid of my Aklex. Just saddening to use.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Captaindirtnap posted:

That sounds nice... but how do I go about getting a potato for that awesome weapon? I was under the impression that Void/Derelict are the only places those blueprints drop. I'm waiting on at least a 50% discount before I bite on IAP.

Also, I've seen in Invasions that Mutagen Mass and Fieldron can be obtained as rewards. Can this happen with a Detonator Injector? (or whatever the Clan crafted Grineer thing is)

Not that I've seen. But for now you only ever need 7 Detonite Injectors. 2 for the Ignis and 5 for the Ogris, it's not like the 20ish you need for the others to build everything.

Also, I'm less impressed with Forma blueprints as rewards now that I have 16, with 3 built already. Just give me the goddamned Reaper Prime Blade, game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have spent a ton of plat so far, almost all of it has been for quality of life stuff like reactors/catalysts, formas, and affinity boosters. Also did a bit of trading for mods and keys I wanted. Rushing stuff is handy when you know you're running a bunch of stuff, too. This weekend I picked up a Credit Booster and made 1.3 million credits just running keys. Tower 3 keys net you 50k, which is a nice consolation prize when you get your 7th Boar Prime Stock.

I'm basically the ideal pay to play sucker (even though I'm using mostly promo plat, I need real plat for trading), is what I'm getting at. If the next Prime Access is something like a Nyx Prime and a Vectis Prime I'll probably buy it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Metaprognosticate posted:

If you were specifically asking for shotgun and heavy melee options, then here goes. You have practically no options for a good shotgun outside of the Drakgoon. I haven't made one yet, but I hear it's pretty good. Boar Prime's in the Orokin Void which is both probably a little difficult for you to get and is being a large amount of RNG. Sobek and Hek are Mastery 4. Strun's just awful. I bought it after I had my Braton for a little while, and the thing just reloads too slow with way too small magazine capacity. DPS calculations are roughly that of the MK1 Braton.

As for Heavy Melee options, I think you're best off waiting till Rank 3 for the Galatine. It's a weapon based completely on its charge attack. 400% charge damage and 25% crit chance on charges. Completely viable for late game.

Large amount of RNG is underselling the Boar Prime. I've done like 15 (probably a lot more) Tower 3 Mobile Defenses and haven't gotten a receiver yet. I did manage to get my Reaper Prime building, though. The Blade was a pain in the rear end to get.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 21, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

NGDBSS posted:

Try running ODD instead. Dunno why it's the only Boar Prime part there, but it's on the drop tables.

Yeah, I've considered that, but I like the Corrupted more than the Infested and I have run a LOT of loving Infested defenses with my clan. loving stupid Banshee helmet. Plus, towers give more money and have better drops and loot rooms.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Derelict Defenses and Survivals are usually good for one or two, but take longer than just rolling up on Sargas Ruk and ventilating him a few times.

There were a ton of Orokin Cell invasions (not infestations) late last week, though. Least it seemed like it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 21, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SilentW posted:

PSA - If anyone is looking at the Ether Reaper and thinking "gee, that looks fun" then YES, YOU ARE CORRECT, IT'S BUTTLOADS OF FUN.

You are drat right. Mine just got side-graded to a Reaper Prime, but all the scythes are stat-identical for some reason. Also, they're way better if you put the Spearmint Scythe skin on them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ullerrm posted:

I've been pretty underwhelmed by the Tyris. Slow firing, crappy zoom, less spike damage than the Seer or Lex, less average DPS output than Twin Vipes. And the base Corrosive damage is pretty useless vs Corpus.

Yeah, but it has a tail and shoots acid spikes.

Helter Skelter posted:

I have a feeling it'll actually be closer to the Supra than the Dera. Either way, it looks aggressively mediocre. I'm building one anyway. :shepicide:

drat right.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hell, I don't even run Absorb on my Nyx, I just went for range and a little duration and lean on Chaos. I mix in Mind Control, as appropriate, but Mind Control only shines when people know how to play along side a Nyx. Most folks don't and will kill your target because it's flashing a pretty color.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Cascade Failure posted:

I've found that slotting fleeting expertise on Nyx is a good tradeoff since it both shortens the channel phase for absorb (which is an awesome skill since it scales infinitely based on enemy damage) and reduces the duration on chaos, meaning it can be recast quicker if/when new enemies wander into range as only one instance can be active if there are still enemies alive and under the chaos effect. And at +60% efficiency you can afford to recast it as much as needed.

Yeah, I've been meaning to try Fleeting Expertise, since Chaos does hang a bit longer than I'd like sometimes. I'll give that a shot later and see how it works out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sleepy Owl posted:

There should be a mod that makes bows shoot boxing glove arrows.

It'd be kind of neat if there was a mod for sniper rifles that let you see through walls when zoomed in, similar to the scanner.

God yes. I've been saying that for weeks. Especially on the Lecta. I want to put Metal Augur, Shred, and that hypothetical mod on it and headshot the boss from the start of the level.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Shugojin posted:

I had a near perfect run for Nova, took like 4 I think.

I want a miter but I keep not getting the last piece and killing lech kril is so god drat tedious :effort:

The Miter was a pain in the rear end for me, took a lot of runs. I mean, it's a joke if you bring a half-decent Trinity (this is true for most things, granted), so at least it's usually a short level. Lech Kril can gently caress right off, though, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hell, I still have like 16 prints left from when I was farming the Reaper Prime. Once you get into the part where you're running towers it quickly becomes "Ugh, a Forma Print?".