Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Uber Kosh posted:

How do you guys season the bottom of your pans? I fear mine is starting to rust and my oven is too small to fit it.

Won't it burn off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Don't even worry about it.

You can hit it with some steel wool and put a bit of oil on it like you would season the inside of the pan but you're not going to have to worry about the rust eating up the pan or anything like that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

Outside of Nazi Germany I don't think you'll find a better deal for a fifteen footer.

Haha, you caught me. However, a 15 foot cast iron frying pan would be RAD as HELL. We could double the world's largest frittata record with it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Haha, you caught me. However, a 15 foot cast iron frying pan would be RAD as HELL. We could double the world's largest frittata record with it.

Imagine the firepit you'd have to dig out in your backyard in order to cook with it. :black101:

"Mommy, is Daddy digging a pool for us to swim in?!?!"
"No, sweety. Daddy's making dinner."

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

https://isys100group7.wikispaces.com/file/view/paella_largest.jpg/296555006/601x398/paella_largest.jpg

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I though that was a paella.

THATS a paella.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Doubbles as a security device.. when the Burgler jumps over your fence and into the hot 15 foot cast iron pan that hasnt cooled off yet since you cooked dinosaur ribs the evening prior.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

shankerz posted:

Doubbles as a security device.. when the Burgler jumps over your fence and into the hot 15 foot cast iron pan that hasnt cooled off yet since you cooked dinosaur ribs the evening prior.

Melted sneakers slide right off the surface of a well seasoned giant fuckoff pan!

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Melted sneakers slide right off the surface of a well seasoned giant fuckoff pan!

I'm assuming unless they coated them in some anti-lava thing like the volcano explores wear that it would just melt them down to their pelvis bone. That would take some time to melt through :)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My mother-in-law gave me her mother's eight-inch cast-iron skillet when I got married, along with her family's favorite South Texas/Lafayette, Louisiana recipes for it. I have never loved the woman more. I've added a twelve-inch Lodge skillet to the mix since then, but the ancient family one is the skillet to which I return over and over.

Today it cooked sausage for a big brunch with friends, then made sauteed mushrooms for dinner. If I didn't think it'd do a number on my sheets I'd take it to bed with me each night to snuggle.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Yesterday I splurged on a dry-aged porterhouse steak and it turned out wonderful in my cast iron. Started on the stovetop but finished in the oven. The real adventure was when I went to pull it out. My previously reliable oven mitt alerted me that it may be time to replace by allowing the pan to burn my hand quite a bit. I didn't drop the steak though, and it was delicious and worth it.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Pics or it didn't happen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I took the advice from last page and left my cast iron in my oven. This week I baked some muffins, it looks like it messed up the seasoning a bit :( The surface looked a little patchy and food stuck a little bit. I made bacon in it this morning, hopefully that'll take care of the problem.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

I took the advice from last page and left my cast iron in my oven. This week I baked some muffins, it looks like it messed up the seasoning a bit :( The surface looked a little patchy and food stuck a little bit. I made bacon in it this morning, hopefully that'll take care of the problem.

If that's the case your seasoning may not have been sufficiently baked on. It should be fine in temps well past 500 C. If it's flaking, scrub off all the flake bits and reseason.

You may also have used a weaker polymerizing oil like something not Flax Seed - but it has a low smoke point so I like Safflower.

Bacon is good, but often has a lot of salt, sugars, and other poo poo that can result in a weaker/softer season that needs to be repaired often-er. Which is not necessarily 'bad' though. THis is how I do with my main cast iron pan. idgaf, it works great.

A bit of flaking isn't unheard of, dry, at higher temps, though, given the oils most people season with and how they cook with their pans.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 13, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Maybe. It was a Lodge preseasoned so it's not like I did the initial seasoning myself. I've also cooked lots of stuff with it. I wipe it down with vegetable oil after cleaning.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really think bacon is overrated as a seasoning helper. There, I said it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Agreed, the sugar content just ends up being a detriment

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of my seasoning problems went away when I started using shortening for seasoning and washing with the pan soap (even using the scrubby side when it needed it).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Found a cute little square skillet in need of a minimal cleanup. After I finish making alll of the square bento box omelettes, I will need more ideas.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Found a cute little square skillet in need of a minimal cleanup. After I finish making alll of the square bento box omelettes, I will need more ideas.

square pancakes

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Cornbread?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I recently received an unseasoned Lodge cast iron pan that my friend received in 2006. He never cooked with it, and he threw it into storage with no protective coating or anything. The pan has a couple of patches of light rust, and I'm wondering how or if I can address that rust before I begin the seasoning process.

Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on inital seasoning would be appreciated. I'd looking toward using the oven/seasoning with shortning/oven method that I saw someplace but didnt save but I wanted some input before I cause myself more work.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hit the rust with a wirebrush, clean off the old factory wax coating, season with shortening, become a curmudgeon like the rest of us.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Butch Cassidy posted:

Hit the rust with a wirebrush, clean off the old factory wax coating, season with shortening, become a curmudgeon like the rest of us.

I wasnt sure if a brush or sandpaper was the way to go, I'll use the brush :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Butch Cassidy posted:

Adorable brownies. I really like Smitten Kitchen's cocoa brownies, especially in cast iron. They're dense, fudgey, and have a candylike top.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrushedWill posted:

I wasnt sure if a brush or sandpaper was the way to go, I'll use the brush :)

Brush will probably be quicker, but both will work. You can't hurt the pan, so do whatever it takes to get it to shiny metal, then start your seasoning.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Adorable brownies. I really like Smitten Kitchen's cocoa brownies, especially in cast iron. They're dense, fudgey, and have a candylike top.

Do you still line the skillet with foil?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

QuarkMartial posted:

Do you still line the skillet with foil?

No, but I give the pan the cake treatment: a shitton of butter and some flour. It has a more pleasingly crunchy underside that way (which helps it not fall apart) and comes out of the pan super easily. The flour isn't totally necessary, but I use it for the same reason you flour a cake pan.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Butch Cassidy posted:

drat, I've been looking for one of those for ages. I doubt my tamago would taste any different, but it doesn't feel right making it in a round pan.

msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
I use my cast iron on the grill. On my smoker works great for baked beans and fried taters. Use it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I made a new thread, and plan to keep the OP updated with useful info as others post.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694651

• Locked thread