Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

ascendance posted:

The Thomas Keller recipe involves steeping the lobster, which means pouring boiling water and vinegar on the lobster, shucking, then poaching in butter.

Going to try this out this weekend. Very excited to see how it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I made Rice Krispies in a 12" cast iron skillet beginning to end and they turned out delicious. The only pain was serving the first few pieces.

E: sorry, I uploaded to imgur from my iPad and timg wasn't working. Didn't realize how big it was.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 4, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
My reaction when I read your post. And I even have a pretty high resolution, too.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
I'm not sure what the deal is with posting Kickstarter stuff in here, but it is relevant to cast iron cookware, so:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/400294490/ausfonte-cast-iron-bigskillet-pan-32cm-13-deepan-s

These guys are doing a line of Australian-made (thus, expensive for cast iron) cookware. I already own the first skillet they did, it's very good, but did cost three times as much as a department/camping store skillet.

The product and stretch goal they're pushing in this campaign look very handy, if you don't already have a large skillet and cast iron dutch oven.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

No less than 25 applications of flaxseed oil

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
I want to get some cast iron. Is a Lodge skillet the one I should aim for? Are there any companies still machining their cooking surfaces ALA Griswold, Wagner etc or does that just not really happen anymore? Should I just not get worried about having the super smooth surface and get a Lodge? Help me goons! You're my only hope.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Get a good-sized Lodge (maybe 10" or 12") that's pre-seasoned, wash it lightly, then start cooking with it. Really don't fret over it too much, there's no point. It will work fine, and if later on you want to sand it down to a smooth surface on your own or find an antique Griswold somewhere, go for it, but enjoy the Lodge first. Bonus with it being a tiny investment at ~$20.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Get a good-sized Lodge (maybe 10" or 12") that's pre-seasoned, wash it lightly, then start cooking with it. Really don't fret over it too much, there's no point. It will work fine, and if later on you want to sand it down to a smooth surface on your own or find an antique Griswold somewhere, go for it, but enjoy the Lodge first. Bonus with it being a tiny investment at ~$20.

Yeah its more like $75 roodollars :< still way less than the $200 I pad for my lovely All-Clad SS pan

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Anyone have some ideas for proper maintenance and storage of the cast iron pan? I was told by a friend to rub olive oil on it before you put it away to prevent rust?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

shankerz posted:

Anyone have some ideas for proper maintenance and storage of the cast iron pan? I was told by a friend to rub olive oil on it before you put it away to prevent rust?

Steve Yun was the first to have the best advice for it.

Steve Yun posted:

You may read articles telling you to do fiddly things with your cast iron. You can promptly ignore them.

Cast iron usually comes pre-seasoned, but becomes even more seasoned over time as you keep cooking with it. Eventually (maybe after a month) you'll be able to slide eggs off it as if it was non-stick, provided that you use a medium temp instead of high.

After cooking, let them cool down then scrub them under hot water with a bristle brush. Dry off, and maybe rub down with a little vegetable oil. Once in a while (like every month or so) you might need to take a sponge and soap to it. Or maybe not! Don't leave in water overnight or it might form rust. Don't cook acidic things too often (sometimes is fine).

That's all the maintenance you'll ever need.

If the seasoning ever flakes off just keep cooking greasy food and it will heal itself over time.
Enough oil to wipe away with a paper towel (honestly, you don't even have to wipe it out if you get the right-tiny- amount of oil in there) and leave your pan shiny, but not so much that there's any actual liquid still in there that might drip out.

To expand on cleaning it if there's poo poo that's really stuck on there that a brushing won't take care of immediately

Drifter posted:

Fill the pan with water 1/3 of the way up and then set it to boiling. Let it boil for a minute or two and then anything on the pan will scrub off very easily after. During its boiling you can start to scrape away the poo poo using a metal spatula.

I actually just use a normal plastic bristled dish scrubber most of the time, and rarely I'll use the aforementioned metal spatula to scrape (not scratch) - it won't hurt it.

You can always just sweat chopped onions with a little oil or something and incorporate the crust mush into it. :black101:
I use my pan pretty much everyday, so I just keep it on the stovetop. I own a lid for it that I cover it with to keep dust and poo poo from floating into it, though. You could keep it in the oven, and you can even leave it in the oven while you are cooking other food in there, so long as there's room. It'll help radiate heat even more evenly.

Lastly, when you cook with the pan, let it get up to temp. If you just start cooking as soon as you place it on the stove you'll get some severe hot spots and come to hate cast iron. But you would be the monster, in truth.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 7, 2015

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Drifter posted:

Lastly, when you cook with the pan, let it get up to temp. If you just start cooking as soon as you place it on the stove you'll get some severe hot spots and come to hate cast iron. But you would be the monster, in truth.

Cooking with cast iron is like pleasing a lover--a few minutes of foreplay to warm him/her up, and then you get down to business. When you're done, you get a mouthful of goodness, and you cool off in the afterglow before cleaning up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cooking with cast iron is like pleasing a lover--a few minutes of foreplay to warm him/her up, and then you get down to business. When you're done, you get a mouthful of goodness, and you cool off in the afterglow before cleaning up.

Now, I'm the first guy to yodel in the valley and I see what you're trying for, but I still gotta say your description is kinda gross and could only very loosely be associated with cooking.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

This is the greatest thing I have ever read!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drifter posted:

Enough oil to wipe away with a paper towel (honestly, you don't even have to wipe it out if you get the right-tiny- amount of oil in there) and leave your pan shiny, but not so much that there's any actual liquid still in there that might drip out.

To expand on cleaning it if there's poo poo that's really stuck on there that a brushing won't take care of immediately

I use my pan pretty much everyday, so I just keep it on the stovetop. I own a lid for it that I cover it with to keep dust and poo poo from floating into it, though. You could keep it in the oven, and you can even leave it in the oven while you are cooking other food in there, so long as there's room. It'll help radiate heat even more evenly.

I use my pan pretty frequently (several times a week) and I like to store it in the oven, actually. After I use it for cooking I wipe it down with a very thin layer of canola oil and put it in the oven. Then, when I use the oven, that layer of oil polymerizes and improves the seasoning on the pan, for literally no extra work. It's awesome, and no more effort than keeping it on your stovetop.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Keeping it in the oven also acts to keep the oven temp stabilized when you use it (at the expense of longer heat up times).

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I finally got an upgrade to the 10" lodge I've been using for the last 10 years or so, which already has a silky smooth surface. I thought I'd go ahead and see if I could give the new one a head start. I realize that this is overkill but I was bored and had a lot of high-grit sandpaper laying around.

Here's the standard lodge before shot. I had forgotten how bumpy they are new!

After:

Time will tell if I helped things out or made a terrible mistake. Made a steak and some pork chops in it so far and gotten decent crusts, but haven't cooked anything which really needs good non-stick capabilities yet.

swampface fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 7, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

swampface posted:

I finally got an upgrade to the 10" lodge I've been using for the last 10 years or so, which already has a silky smooth surface. I thought I'd go ahead and see if I could give the new one a head start. I realize that this is overkill but I was bored and had a lot of high-grit sandpaper laying around.

Here's the standard lodge before shot. I had forgotten how bumpy they are new!

After:

Time will tell if I helped things out or made a terrible mistake. Made a steak and some pork chops in it so far and gotten decent crusts, but haven't cooked anything which really needs good non-stick capabilities yet.

You know what you must do. Scrambled eggs and cheese.

Go forth, my son, and fight the good fight.

Drakeonous
Jul 12, 2006
Indeed...
I was just given a cast iron pan, and it had a sticker on it saying not to put it either under a broiler or in the oven above 350F. Any idea why they'd stick something like that on there?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Is it an enameled pan?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WHOOPS posted:

I made Rice Krispies in a 12" cast iron skillet beginning to end and they turned out delicious. The only pain was serving the first few pieces.

E: sorry, I uploaded to imgur from my iPad and timg wasn't working. Didn't realize how big it was.

Protip: if you add a lower case L to the end of the url before the .jpg, it will post the standard definition size picture

http://i.imgur.com/9zfWsb4.jpg<-- full size

http://i.imgur.com/9zfWsb4l.jpg<-- medium size

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 7, 2015

Drakeonous
Jul 12, 2006
Indeed...

Butch Cassidy posted:

Is it an enameled pan?

Nope. Just a regular cast iron pan.

E: Is it possible the manufacturer idiotically put nonstick coating on it?

Drakeonous fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 7, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Drakeonous posted:

Nope. Just a regular cast iron pan.

E: Is it possible the manufacturer idiotically put nonstick coating on it?

Show us a pic?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Hey gang! Just wanted to share my recent Thai Basil with the group from my cast iron, since I've learned so much by lurking this thread:

I've been mostly following the Goons With Spoons recipe, but without the egg at the end: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pad_Moo_Ka-Prao_

As for maintenance, since that's been asked so frequently, I usually keep the iron hot and make sure my tap is at the hottest it can get, wash off any residue, and then wipe down with a generous portion of salt and some aluminum foil to scrape any solids off (usually with a quick rinse off to get rid of excess salt, and ending in letting the iron dry off in the cooling oven). I use mine almost every day, so you may have to add oil to yours if you use it less frequently.
3 years, no warping, no hard cleaning, smooth as a baby's bottom.

In other news, I got the French Laundry cookbook for Christmas, and it's great--nothing particular to cast iron, but it has a lot of good essential cooking tips and techniques that will improve any upcoming chef or amateur cook's repertoire.

I also got Le Pigeon from Portland, which has unusual recipes, and The Fat Duck Cookbook, which is more of an art book than an actual follow-along cookbook (sometimes can have 50+ ingredients to make a dish and :effort:)
For example, here's their Heart of Palm Marrowbone recipe:

Anyone have any tips for cooking pigeon/squab on a cast iron?

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 8, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Fat Duck is Heston Blumenthal's restaurant, right?

I have no doubt his food is absolutely sublime, however the amount of effort he goes through almost intentionally overcomplicating things is ridiculous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's Heston.

Eating fish at chips at the Fat Duck involves being given an mp3 player and told to listen to a track of seagulls and waves crashing.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

spankmeister posted:

The Fat Duck is Heston Blumenthal's restaurant, right?

I have no doubt his food is absolutely sublime, however the amount of effort he goes through almost intentionally overcomplicating things is ridiculous.

Yes, and yes. Completely ridiculous and unnecessary to an extreme. Best to think of his works as an art book. That said, the guy is a genius. Just because I appreciate Beethoven doesn't mean I want to perform up to his standards.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, that's Heston.

Eating fish at chips at the Fat Duck involves being given an mp3 player and told to listen to a track of seagulls and waves crashing.

Yes. You wanted 3x Michelin stars, didn't you? :: unbuttons trousers ::

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 8, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shankerz posted:

That's a good way to get it all gummy.

Just use the thing. I haven't re-seasoned any of my pans in forever. The most 'cleaning' they get is boil some water in there and a light scraping with a flipper. Not much sticks unless I burn it on with high heat.

Don't put them away wet and they won't rust. I keep mine in the oven (along with my baking stones) unless I HAVE to take them out (like if they're going to be blocking heat and I don't have an extra half hour to let them heat up.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Don't put them away wet and they won't rust.

That depends on where you live. My house is fairly humid in the summer and my pans will start rusting pretty quickly if they aren't used regularly.

Also, I received one of these for Christmas

Le Creuset 1 3/4qt saucepan. Very nice.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Biscuit Joiner posted:

That depends on where you live. My house is fairly humid in the summer and my pans will start rusting pretty quickly if they aren't used regularly.

Also, I received one of these for Christmas

Le Creuset 1 3/4qt saucepan. Very nice.

Do you oil it before putting it away? I'm not asking in a hostile way, but I would think keeping it oiled would prevent that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My process is after washing (with soap, mind you), I wipe it off then put it on the stove to heat up which dries it out completely, then wipe it down it with a little crisco on a paper towel. Leave it on the heat just until it starts to smoke even the smallest bit, then turn it off.

And when you wipe it down with crisco, you're just looking to get enough on there to make it shiny, there should not be a tangible layer or anything.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

Do you oil it before putting it away? I'm not asking in a hostile way, but I would think keeping it oiled would prevent that.

The pans that I frequently use are fine, no problems with rust. The pans that I don't use will start developing rust (especially in the summer) if I don't get them out and wash and oil them. I have a 15" Lodge skillet that has a lot of surface rust because I never use it and I can't season it again, it won't fit in my oven. It was $20 at a flea market, I had to buy it.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Drifter posted:

This works perfect! I did this the other day and took my pan out tonight to make a steak and it wasn't rusted at all! Recommend the above way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Biscuit Joiner posted:

The pans that I frequently use are fine, no problems with rust. The pans that I don't use will start developing rust (especially in the summer) if I don't get them out and wash and oil them. I have a 15" Lodge skillet that has a lot of surface rust because I never use it and I can't season it again, it won't fit in my oven. It was $20 at a flea market, I had to buy it.

You can absolutely season it on a stovetop.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I'm thinking more along the lines of finding a new home for it. I think I'll look for a Boy Scout troop to donate it to.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of finding a new home for it. I think I'll look for a Boy Scout troop to donate it to.

Noooooo, give it to me, I'll take good care of it. We'll make pizzas and quiche and tons of bacon. Boy Scouts will kill it.

I'd faint if I saw a 15' for 20bux.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Noooooo, give it to me, I'll take good care of it. We'll make pizzas and quiche and tons of bacon. Boy Scouts will kill it.

Outside of Nazi Germany I don't think you'll find a better deal for a fifteen footer.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I bought it in 2012 and I can remember using it once right after I bought it. A friend saw it and really wanted it then and sincethey have a large family I bought them one for Christmas that year. Looking back through my Amazon orders i see that I paid $34.97 for theirs brand new. They are $50 on Amazon right now.

Maybe I'll keep it. Or trade it for a small dutch oven or some muffin pans.

A 12" pan weighs about 9lbs so I guess a 15' would weigh around 135lbs?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's a crazy cheap price for a 20 bucks...... what's the catch?

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
How do you guys season the bottom of your pans? I fear mine is starting to rust and my oven is too small to fit it.

I'm thinking invert the pan over the (gas) hotplate, and fry up some stuff that way, then clean and re-season the inner pan surface.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Uber Kosh posted:

How do you guys season the bottom of your pans? I fear mine is starting to rust and my oven is too small to fit it.

I'm thinking invert the pan over the (gas) hotplate, and fry up some stuff that way, then clean and re-season the inner pan surface.

Thoughts?

Hotplate might not get it hot enough. If you have a backyard I would build a campfire and place it on it and then reseason it and oil it lighty.

• Locked thread