Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally managed the impossible and got cast iron pans here in Korea, yay!

I've never had cast iron before. They're pre-seasoned, which is helpful. I'm not sure what of the care things I've read are bullshit or not. Some people say if soap gets anywhere near it it basically explodes into flames, others that you can wash gently with soap and it's fine. I know a lot say to never clean it but I don't see how that gets you anything but a gross rear end pan. How do I keep my cast iron happy?

You can give them a quick scrub and rinse with soapy water but don't let them sit in a sink. A quick scrape/scrub with a brush is all you really need to do to it, unless you've baked on a bunch of cheese or something.

Dry it off by setting it back on the burner for a few minutes after you use it, putting it away wet is a good way to find it rusty the next day. Adding a few drops of oil to it isn't going to hurt either. Rub it around with a paper towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My fuckin' mom. Love her as I do her kitchen skills leave a lot to be desired, she's the master of the microwaved canned Green Giant vegetables and gray pork chops.

She had my grandmother's old cast iron pan, and passed it on to me a few years ago. I quickly took it out side and used a putty knife to remove the years and years and burnt on crust that covered the outside of the pan, scrubbed it up and re-seasoned it in the oven.

My mom flipped out when she saw the pan and barely recognized it. "You removed all the seasoning!!"

Mom, there is no seasoning on the outside of the pan. The food never touches the outside of the pan, what sense would that make?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My stupid grill, the regular burners don't get hot enough to sear a steak to my liking and the single infa-red burner simply vaporizes poo poo. So the cast iron pan makes a perfect device to balance it out.

<Enter my stupid brother-in-law, "You can't make a steak in a pan!" :downswords:>

Meanwhile he uses one of those 'toy' camping stoves to cook gray steaks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My girlfriends mom 'helped' with the dishes one time and I saw my cast-iron pan sitting in a sink full of bubbles. I yelled "Aaaaaaaah what are you doing!", rinsed it out, squirted a little oil on it, stuck it on the stove on high, forgot about it when I went in another room, the smoke alarm went off and the dog started going nuts and it turned into like a 2-day fight at the house.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Amazon has the Lodge set for $65 which includes a 12" and 8" skillet, a little tortilla warmer thing, and a dutch oven.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paper With Lines posted:

That thing looks like it would own. I've seen greasy spoons use that sort of thing on bacon but I never thought it would be available to mere mortals.

Though it is funny that it costs more than my Lodge pan did.

If you want perfectly flat bacon that looks like someone ironed/pressed it, go for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

Seriously gently caress Tyson or Perdue. Spend in the neighbor of 25$ for the chicken you use for this, how the fat tastes matter immensely.

Does Whole Foods even sell a $25 4lb chicken? Where they hell do you buy one at? Even the mega-organic/grain fed/free range/petted daily birds at Kroger are only like 8 bucks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bo-Pepper posted:

Your cast iron pan should live in your oven anyway. It helps maintain a more consistent heat in the oven itself when you cook other things.

I keep some cast iron in my oven but I also keep a big rear end baking stone on the bottom rack for more even heating. Learned that from some bread baking book.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Captain Trips posted:

How exactly does cooking bacon help the seasoning, anyway? Is there something I should be doing with the grease, or is it just "cook bacon, receive seasoning"?

All the grease the comes from the bacon is good for the pan

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best high heat oil for reseasoning a cast iron pan after discovering your fucktard roommate soaked it and then ran it through the dishwasher, putting it away to only be discovered a few weeks later? Also, would steel wool be recommended for removing rust or should I just use a brillo pad?

Cook up some iron-fortified bacon

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

psychokitty posted:

Everything but scrambled, egg-wise, works fine for me in my cast iron. And except the obvious ones like omelette/frittata. I do melt butter or grease in the pan first, even though my pans are well-seasoned. High heat or low heat doesn't seem to matter as far as sticking goes.

I've found that if I cook bacon and then immediately try and cook an egg, the egg will stick to the bacon residue that's stuck to the pan under the grease, so I scrape down my pan with a spatula to get that stuff to the side so that only grease remains. Why there's stuck bacon residue is beyond me... maybe sugar in the bacon?

It's weird that bacon residue is the stickiest poo poo I end up with in my pan.

I just deep fry my eggs in a copious amounts of bacon grease anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I only own baking stones and not cookie sheets, so I covered my 12" cast iron pan in slices of bacon (which I cut in half) and put them in the oven for 20 minutes @ 400. Heard a little popping and cracking, and I put the pan on the stove on high for about 3 minute before putting it in the oven, but it came out great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can I used an enameled cast iron dutch oven as an actual dutch oven, ie set it on hot coals in the grown and put hot coals on the lid? Or will it gently caress something up?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Just from anecdotal evidence I get the feeling that enamel isn't as sturdy to extreme heat as bare cast iron, so I wouldn't.

Besides, you want one of these camper dutch ovens, they have a rim to help keep the coals on:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Camp-Du...iron+dutch+oven

It was just a dumb idea I had. I wanted to bury a pot of chili or something in the back yard but I think that would have pissed my stepdad off anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tramontira or however the gently caress you spell it has one for closer to $50

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is your rationale behind avoiding products from India and China? I'll take my answer off the air.

Lead concerns? :911: Might be paranoid but if it's something you plan on cooking with for 10+ years I could understand.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Massasoit posted:

"Cooking bacon" isn't really an option for seasoning since its a meat I try to stay away from.
Cook a lb of bacon in it and then give it away as a gift to a meat-eater. That way everyone wins!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I just boil a littler water to loosen up anything I burned on and just give it a light scrap with a plastic spatula. Dump it out, rinse it, put it back on the stove for a few minutes to dry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Disco Salmon posted:

I was thinking about just scrubbing them down well with soap and water, and then re-seasoning them, is that the right thing to do about getting the tackiness off?

Use a copious amount of Dawn, if that can get BP oil off baby ducks it will get oil residue off a pan.

Then just make a couple lbs of bacon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cast iron isn't as 'even heating' as some people make it out to be. If you put it on the stove and crank the burner up you're going to get a big hot spot right in the middle

When I do steaks I do them right around medium heat. I know that doesn't mean much because every stove is different, but I don't do them anywhere near as hot as I can go. And do use a little bit of oil because I don't want that 'scorched' surface, it's not like on a grill where I can go as hot as I can stand it.

I almost get a little bit of a of fried crust on them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some friends were without power for the weekend, cast iron to the rescue!

You could do some serious paella on that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bought my mom an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas.

"It's too heavy. Take it back."

:doh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

No less than 25 applications of flaxseed oil

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

shankerz posted:

Anyone have some ideas for proper maintenance and storage of the cast iron pan? I was told by a friend to rub olive oil on it before you put it away to prevent rust?

That's a good way to get it all gummy.

Just use the thing. I haven't re-seasoned any of my pans in forever. The most 'cleaning' they get is boil some water in there and a light scraping with a flipper. Not much sticks unless I burn it on with high heat.

Don't put them away wet and they won't rust. I keep mine in the oven (along with my baking stones) unless I HAVE to take them out (like if they're going to be blocking heat and I don't have an extra half hour to let them heat up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Uber Kosh posted:

How do you guys season the bottom of your pans? I fear mine is starting to rust and my oven is too small to fit it.

Won't it burn off?

• Locked thread